• 12 Days of Obamacare Surprises: The Individual Mandate

Photo: Garry Gay/Stock Connection Worldwide/Newscom

Not all surprises are good. When it comes to Obamacare, the original projections are turning into unfortunately different realities. For the next 12 days, Heritage is going to highlight one of the various changes in Obamacare projections (i.e. cost, enrollment, etc.) from when the law first passed until now.

One of the most infamous features of Obamacare is the individual mandate, which requires most Americans to purchase health insurance or pay a tax for being uninsured.

In 2010, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) and Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) estimated that 4 million people would pay the penalty in 2016 and that collections from those penalties would be about $4 billion per year between 2017 and 2019.

In 2012, the CBO and JCT updated their estimate of those paying the mandate to 6 million people in 2016, totaling $7 billion in tax revenue and growing to $8 billion per year from 2017-2022.

Surprise: That’s an increase of 2 million more uninsured people paying the penalty each year and about $3 billion more in tax collections annually.

Posted in Featured, Obamacare [slideshow_deploy]

12 Responses to 12 Days of Obamacare Surprises: The Individual Mandate

1. Red47 says:

IF their projections are correct and IF they can collect.
      They cannot balance their spending sprees on the backs of everyday Americans. Well, not on 53% of us. We won't comply.

• Hugh says:

Have you ever dealt with the IRS? They are truly a force of evil in the world. They WILL collect, and you WILL be forced to pay. There is nothing FAIR about the IRS.

2. undunder says:

Are we really to believe that these "new" figures are a surprise? If our best economic leaders are this blind or willfully stupid, then America is in a lot of hurt. I believe that Congressmen did not read the bill and the dipsticks who wrote it had to know the damage this massive ill-fated bill would inflict on US Citizens. Of course, if we all become illegal aliens, we get all that stuff for free. Obamacare should be repea.ed and real and hlepful reform should be constructed and implemented. Since the Fed government has given me all this help, my health insurance premiums have doubled! I now have a cadillac policy by obamacare's standards though nothing has changed regarding my benefits. Another oops? I suspect not – just another way to tax my health insurance premiums while I get nothing, zero, zilch in return for those increased taxes. I don't mind helping the truly needy, but I do mind helping those goofs who say things like, "I tried working for a year and I wouldn't want that for anyone in my family….it's best to let the government do all that…[and she returned to being totally dependent on the government for everything]. With this mentality being the crux of democratic voters, how can spending ever be reduced. Those of us who do think earning a living is better than leeching off others will be drained of resources. Seems like a liberal plan to me. Isn't this what communist countries do? Decide who must give and who will receive.

3. Lloyd Scallan says:

Why is this a surprise? ObamaCare is, and has never been about "health care". It's about socialism. Driving insurance companies out of business to force every American into a "single payer" system where government controls the lives of the American people through health regulations.

• MarineRecon says:

You are absolutely correct in your statement. This was the intent of Obama Care from the start to destroy the insurance industry and get us to a single payer system. This will cause massive job losses. Also their is a provision in bill that if law is not repealed before 2017 it can never be repealed, it ties future congressional hands from doing so.

4. P. Payne says:

You should discuss the exceptions to the mandate. A variety of people will be able to avoid the requirement. I would think that conservative journalist would help people figure out how to avoid the minimum essential coverage requirement (the actual name of the individual mandate requirement) so that these people don't get insurance and allow the rest of the country to pay for their follies.

5. Skip Tortorello says:

I am so disgusted with this system,, some people have to stand up and repeal this bill, don't worry about your cushy job, and finally do something for the people. All and I mean all of congress created this mess, now the American people suffer, rise up and do the right thing.Bunch of pansy's, who don't have this plan, don't really care. Put everyone on the same plan, then let's see if you creeps have the courge to make a change…

6. CBC says:

Im DISGUSTED ALSO!! The establishement does not care about people or what we think.This goverment makes me SICK !! Republicans have lowered there standards as low as the dems. Its just that the dems are willing to do anything to get what they want and to cheat,steal,lie or do what it takes.The old DOG republicans cant even see there way out of a bag. The WORST President in the History of OUR Country and the Republicans cant finish the job to get across the finish line.Thats right Mitt wasnt part of the ESTABLISHEMENT!!! This Country is finished unless someone with some Balls will stand up !!! Forget fat boy from NJ he bent over to take it and they gave it to him. With the stupidity of the American people and the give me mentality we are finished one way or another ! Ya Im PISSED and I dont care if someone is offended so am I….

7. Louise says:

If we could make the bunch on Capitol Hill join this so-called Healthcare, they would repeal tomorrow.

8. patriot NANNIE says:

If any who already posted come back to this page, my comment to you is "did YOU call your congressman AGAIN and Again. or the first time and tell them just how it is?? I hope so because that is a way to move in another direction. Also are you educating yourself so you can run for that office that currently has a fool in it??

9. Pingback: 12 Days of Obamacare Surprises: Increased Employer Penalties | The Conservative Papers

10. Pingback: 12 Days of Obamacare Surprises: The Independent Payment Advisory Board | The Conservative Papers