• Jim DeMint Addresses Heritage Staff: "This Is a Homecoming for Me"

Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC) addressed a packed auditorium at The Heritage Foundation this morning, just moments after being named the organization’s next president. He will succeed Ed Feulner, who is stepping down after 35 years leading the think tank.

More than 200 employees of the Heritage Foundation rose for a standing ovation as Feulner passed the torch to his successor. One Heritage employee shouted a battle cry: “Hoo rah!”

That set the tone for the staff meeting. Heritage’s Board of Trustees, announced Chairman Thomas A. Saunders, voted unanimously to approve the decision.

DeMint said it was “the honor of my life,” and joked that the move would be “a big promotion.”

“This organization is in a position to do more to save our country than any other organization I’m aware of,” DeMint said. ”I believe that we have put together here the power, the muscle, the ideas to turn things around.”

DeMint, Feulner, and Saunders stressed that Heritage’s policy-focused, detail-oriented approach will remain the organization’s mission. DeMint pledged in a Thursday statement to ”protect the integrity of Heritage’s research and not politicize the policy component. Heritage is not just another grassroots political group.”

Indeed, DeMint stressed that his proposals in the Senate have been informed by Heritage’s  policy work. ”This is a homecoming for me,” he said, noting that he was inspired to run after reading Heritage’s policy work. ”This feels like I just walked in the front door of my own house,” he told Heritage staff.

DeMint will take over as president in April. Feulner will remain as Heritage’s chancellor and the chairman of its Asian Studies Center.

RELATED:

Transcript of video above:

Senator Jim DeMint:

The only place I would consider leaving the Senate for is The Heritage Foundation.

[Music]

Thomas A Saunders:

Today we have combined the most powerful and effective conservative think tank in America with America’s most principled and effective conservative leader. I’d like to say we are turbo-charging our already powerful engine. Today, Jim DeMint takes the helm of the best think tank in America, with conservative principles and rigorous research intertwined in its DNA during an even more uncertain time.

Edwin J. Feulner:

My successor, I think, will inherit a Heritage Foundation that’s stronger than ever and that is more essential than ever.

Senator DeMint:

This is very emotional, for you and I think for me. This literally feels like I just walked in the front door of my own house. And I’ve always felt that way when I left Capitol Hill and came over here to either stand here or do programs with The Heritage Foundation. That sense of family began well before I ever ran for office. I‘ve gone through a lot of this with the board, but I was inspired to run for Congress because of several years of reading Heritage policy papers.

Recognizing, and I’ve told this story many times, just as the story of the Ugly Duckling looked and saw his reflection and found he was not an ugly duckling at all but a beautiful swan. Not that I’m a beautiful swan—but I looked into all these papers and realized that I was a conservative, and I was inspired by these ideas that could change America and restore us to those founding principles.

Ed Feulner had the wisdom to build it around a cause and a set of principles that were much bigger than he or anyone that worked here. Collectively, this organization is in a position to do more to save our country than any organization that I’m aware of… This is an urgent matter that we as a Heritage Foundation are in the best position to change things. I know the people—the conservatives on the Hill are counting on us, conservatives all over the country are counting on us, and I believe that we have put together here the power, the muscle, the ideas to turn things around.

I feel like this is a homecoming for me and that you’ve all had a part of training and developing me, and so if you don’t like what you’ve got here it’s your own fault.

[Laughter and applause]

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

14 Responses to Jim DeMint Addresses Heritage Staff: "This Is a Homecoming for Me"

1. Thomas Jefferson says:

Nice to see the public office/lobbyist revolving door is nice and lubed up and operating as usual.

• Guest says:

You're no Thomas Jefferson, that's for certain. This is what we need in Washington…Senators and Congressmen who serve a term or two, then leave for the private sector to do more good with less opposition, and more impact. Heritage Foundation is not a lobbyist, but a "Think Tank" that provides ample material for citizens and public servants to become more informed and armed with facts rather than the usual D.C. B.S., so please educate yourself and don't tar everyone in D.C. with the same brush.

2. Ruth says:

Sen. DeMint and all at Heritage Foundation: Please help us out here in the towns and cities of America fight the ignorance about conservatism and the propaganda from the left. I am shocked that in the small Western North Carolina town I live in, there are many high school students who think socialism sounds like a great idea and who have no clue that while they are out voting for gay marriage, at the same time, they are voting away their financial future with the continued growth of our national debt. Adults as well write letters to the editor in our small town praising socialized health care not realizing that the small town shortage of doctors is going to be made much worse through Obamacare.

Misunderstandings about how our economy works are rampant and reinforced by a liberal, misleading press. With the current debate on the fiscal cliff, there are many in my community who actually think that Warren Buffet will pay more taxes under Obama's plan, not understanding that if they really want the rich to pay more, they should be for the deduction mods the Republicans are advocating. They think the whole debate is about whether to raise the rates on the top 2% of earners. They have no clue that the real debate is about controlling government spending because that part of the message never gets out in the media. How will we ever save this country if the level of ignorance is so great? The HF can develop policy papers from now to eternity but if they aren't being publicized and if the public's only education is coming from liberal public school and college teachers and a liberal press, what good will it do? Please, Sen, DeMint, as part of your new job, help us with a plan for taking back the information flow–it's our only hope before it's too late.

3. Bobbie says:

Heritage is the place where exemplary fits it's true definition. The Heritage foundation is a beacon of hope, truth and dignity thanks to Mr. Fuelner and all his integrity inspires.

This is a noble move for Mr. DeMint. Hope whoever succeeds him will be as honorable a person and true to principle as he. He's taken the opportunity to work with dignified associates with America's freedom and principles to fight for much needed in and out of government!!!!

4. dannyboy53 says:

Conservatism has few forums and we are rapidly losing what we have. I know you will work diligently at the Heritage Foundation to uphold the standards set by those before you.

Thanks for stepping up Jim.

5. Mike says:

I'll miss Senator DeMint, but look forward to seeing Mr DeMint as head of the Heritage Foundation.

6. First of all, I would like to say that Ruth hit the nail squarely on the head. One thing I would like to see, and this is not an easy task, is to get the Heritage Foundation Message in the hands of those who are on the fence. Educating those people concerning how things really work might put them on the Conservative side and help replace some of the long-term Liberals that have too much to say about what happens in Congress. Preaching to the choir and keeping us Conservatives up to date is a good thing, however, you already have our vote. We need more votes to get over the mountain crest.

7. lizp4 says:

If he isn't installed until April, we are going to have to find ways to educate and promote long before then. I am convinced that we don't HAVE that long to start getting the message out clearly and repeatedly.

8. mike says:

Take a very hard look at Demint! Yesterday on Rush, He said he had just came out of Harry Reid's office, and that Harry was a good friend and that Harry was not the problem.

9. Blair Franconia, NH says:

Debbie Sergeant Schultz said that the reason why Jim DeMint was leaving the Senate is because the Tea Party's
      not effective. To paraphrase Mark Twain, The rumors of the Tea Party's death are greatly exaggerated.

10. Leo Branscum says:

Demint for President

11. Ernest Seagraves says:

We The People are responsible even though we act as if we are only entitled. We must change our biased thinking. The human mind has memory, as such in a feedback control system any bias will cause instability. Our media is biased due to the desire for increased ratings, a persons view of their contribution vs their partner's contribution to a relationship can be biased due to a lack of open communications. This manifests itself in growing apart and becoming resentful. We The People need to take responsibility for our actions. Demand transparency, because nothing good comes from darkness> Ephesians 5:12 It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything that is illuminated becomes a light.

From Galatians 5 we know that we must love our neighbor as ourselves. That includes our spouses and other nations and cultures. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

But God warns us about not following his will. One such warning relates to the haughty women of Zion, in Isaiah 3:16 Moreover the LORD said, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet. 17 Therefore the Lord will strike with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion. … 25 Your men shall fall by the sword, and your mighty in the war.

There is a network of evil in our midst. I fear that this network is contributing to a grand delusion that the Lord speaks of in 2 Thessalonians 2:11.

The arrogance of thinking that one knows the man of lawlessness, have judged, failed to love their neighbor, and have destroyed a son of God. I fear that you may be victim of the grand delusion. I say this not to judge you but to allow you repent because if this is a grand delusion then we are in the last days.

In 2 Timothy 2:25 says that we should gently advise them not following his word. 26 That they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil. This is my intention here. Because Christ says to love your neighbor as yourself, you have fulfilled the law, and are saved. So to love your neighbor we cannot persecute him, judge him, torture him, spy on him, or kill him. Yet we continue to support many of these exact things. Please rent for your own sake, and that of our country and our children.