• The Heritage Network
    • Resize:
    • A
    • A
    • A
  • Donate
  • The White House Disinformation Campaign on the Libya Attack

    The Obama Administration has now acknowledged the glaringly obvious: that the four Americans who died in the September 11 attack in Libya “were killed in the course of a terrorist attack on our embassy.”

    This statement came from no less an authority than Matthew Olsen, director of the National Counterterrorism Center, in response to a question at an open Senate hearing Wednesday. Finally, someone is making sense. Reversing itself 180 degrees, the White House today scrambled to back Olsen up.

    “It is self-evident that what happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack,” White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters traveling with President Obama. “Our embassy was attacked violently and the result was four deaths of American officials.” Really? As recently as this morning, the White House was singing a different tune.

    For the past week, the strictly coordinated and downright misleading responses from the rest of the Obama Administration’s team of spokesmen have rejected the idea that terrorism is afoot. From President Obama himself, speaking to that hard-nosed interviewer David Letterman, to Carney to State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland, the ridiculous line has been peddled that the attacks on American embassies and interests throughout the Muslim world were provoked exclusively by an offensive 14-minute anti-Islam YouTube video.

    However, no one emerges from this public information debacle with more egg on her face than U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice, who was sent out to appear on the Sunday talk shows to repeat the Obama Administration’s official line on the attacks. Exactly why the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations should have been chosen for this fool’s errand is not clear. Rice would not have been in a direct line of command within State, nor does she hail from any of the U.S. intelligence agencies. In any event, her appearances were cringe-inducing:

    Our current best assessment based on the information that we have at the present, is that, in fact, what began as, it was a spontaneous—not a premeditated—response to what happened in Cairo as a consequence of the video. People gathered outside the embassy and then it grew very violent. And those with extremist ties joined the fray and came with heavy weapons, which unfortunately are quite common in post-revolutionary Libya, and that then spun out of control.

    Rice kept repeating this improbable scenario. In doing so, she contradicted not only common sense but also Libyan President Mohamed Yousef El-Magariaf, who had stated that the attack was “planned, definitely, it was planned by foreigners, by people who entered this country a few months ago, and they were planning this criminal act since their arrival.” Fox News is now reporting that one of the al-Qaeda leaders involved in the attack had been released from Guantanamo Bay by the Obama Administration itself.

    Which leads us to the question of why the Administration has so stubbornly continued to cling to the narrative that this spreading wildfire of anti-Americanism is only about offense taken to an amateurish, fourth-rate anti-Islam movie trailer? “It would be consistent with the Obama Administration’s line that the war on terror is essentially over,” noted former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton, speaking on “Fox and Friends” Thursday.

    As U.S. troops are packing up their gear in Afghanistan, looking forward to the flight home, al-Qaeda has proven that terrorism is alive and well.

    Posted in Featured [slideshow_deploy]

    11 Responses to The White House Disinformation Campaign on the Libya Attack

    1. aerostar700p says:

      OBAMA'S GROSS NEGLIGENCE – MISSED SECURITY BRIEFINGS

      The Obama Administration is still trying to cover up for the fact that Obama did not attend his daily security briefings leading up to 9/11.

      The Libyan president says that Obama knew about the attack in Libya 3 days BEFORE the attack occurred. He cited intercepted communications from the US government to prove his point.
      http://patdollard.com/2012/09/cover-up-libyan-pre

      Although the Main Stream Media tried to swept the story under the rug, too many details have now managed to be revealed thanks mostly to the foreign press.
      http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/li

      Canada's Sun News released a video clearly showing the US was given specific warnings showing Al Qaeda publicly urging followers to attack embassies in both Libya & Egypt.

      On September 10th Al Qaeda issued a warning they would attack the US embassy in Cairo and "burn it to the ground".
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embed

      CNN is especially complicit in withholding the explosive information from the America.

      Yahoo News is now pointing out that Press Secretary Jay Carney LIED when asked about the cause of the Libyan attack.
      http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/white-house-li

      Keep in mind that the Libyan president says the US Government issued communications THREE DAYS PRIOR TO THE ATTACK.

      The US Government clearly had copies of that video well in advance of the attack in Libya.

      The information would have been in the daily security briefings on the mornings of September 8, 9, 10 and 11. The president chose to skip those daily security briefings. Yet we are told he read the synopsis of those reports.

      So did Obama COMPLETELY MISS THAT INFORMATION IN AT LEAST 3 SEPARATE SETS OF SECURITY PAPERS?

      The main stream media is influencing the election process by selectively withholding explosive information.

      Its a SHAME when Yahoo News, British newspapers and Canadian news organizations are the only way the American people can get at the truth.

      CNN, The New York Times, NBC, CBS, & ABC are so intent on electing Obama they DELIBERATELY withhold information from the American people.

      FELLOW PATRIOTS – POST THIS STORY ON EVERY NEWSPAPER IN THE NATION. LETS SHAME THEM INTO RUNNING IT!

      Obama had advance warning of the attacks. Was it gross negligence? Or Deliberate?

      WHAT DID OBAMA KNOW, AND WHEN DID HE KNOW IT?

    2. tim says:

      i wish it were true – but it seems the terrorist was released from Guantanamo in 2007

      Sufyan Ben Qumu is thought to have been involved and even may have led the attack, Fox News' intelligence sources said. Qumu, a Libyan, was released from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in 2007 and transferred into Libyan custody on the condition he be kept in jail. He was released by the Qaddafi regime as part of its reconciliation effort with Islamists in 2008.

      Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/19/top-ad

    3. Bobbie says:

      HOW DARE THESE PEOPLE AND THEIR EXCUSES!! AND BALD FACE LIES!! Who are they protecting?? The American government had EVERYTHING to do with neglecting their duty to protect American embassies across the world on the 11th anniversary of the Muslim extremists made holiday!! The expression of emotion of those that saw the Muslim extremists defiance of humanity is a great depression to all the good of humanity. The world is not going to drop to appease this horrifying behavior of ignorant people with hurt feelings! How dare you! May God have harsh judgment on everyone of you involved! American and not.

      Our deepest sympathies and condolences to the families of America's best! God Bless you!

    4. Tony Fields says:

      Yeah but it wasn't planned….Right people always travel around with RPG's in their pocket.

    5. One question I have yet to see answered and maybe you can dig it out… Where were the marines? It is common knowledge that US marine elete guard US embassys world round. Were they under a ridiculous no-fire order? did they have rubber bullets – or no bullets? Seems to me like if anyone was KIA, that one would be among them. Or were they wounded?? Mysteriously missing from any reports I have read.

    6. Zach says:

      Not to mention, the White House was aware of these terrorist attacks three days prior, yet no action was taken. President Obama was made aware of the kidnapping of the U.S. ambassador the night it occured and yet he decided to go to bed, when he woke he recieved the news that the ambassador, along with three other men, had been killed during his slumber.

    7. AllenBarton says:

      No! Really! A terrorist attack, I cannot believe it.

    8. Com Mentor says:

      Is it not possible that the attacks were reprisal for the death of OBL? Makes more sense than some "movie" that no one I know of has even seen.

    9. Lloyd Scallan says:

      Despite the facts and even the White House admitting the truth, most major media outlets, including almost every newspaper still refuse to admit in print the truth. Is it not obvious that the entire Obama administration is about "disinformation, lies, and deceptions. Without them, the entire bunch would be run out of Washington on a rail. As an example Obama,s touting of how great GM is doing, regardless of the fact that 79% of all GM sales were to the Obama government. Obama is using out tax dollars to prop up a failing car company. Why? UAW, a labor union.

    10. Laurie Rogers says:

      The president and his administration keep saying they had nothing to do with that video. I don't know that anyone said they had.
      I could see why it would make some people wonder if they had something to do with that video.

    Comments are subject to approval and moderation. We remind everyone that The Heritage Foundation promotes a civil society where ideas and debate flourish. Please be respectful of each other and the subjects of any criticism. While we may not always agree on policy, we should all agree that being appropriately informed is everyone's intention visiting this site. Profanity, lewdness, personal attacks, and other forms of incivility will not be tolerated. Please keep your thoughts brief and avoid ALL CAPS. While we respect your first amendment rights, we are obligated to our readers to maintain these standards. Thanks for joining the conversation.

    Big Government Is NOT the Answer

    Your tax dollars are being spent on programs that we really don't need.

    I Agree I Disagree ×

    Get Heritage In Your Inbox — FREE!

    Heritage Foundation e-mails keep you updated on the ongoing policy battles in Washington and around the country.

    ×