• VIDEO: Former Democrat Explains Why He Abandoned Obama

A former Democratic congressman who recently switched political parties said millions of Americans are abandoning President Obama because of the liberal policies being pursued by the White House. In remarks at Heritage’s Bloggers Briefing and during a sitdown interview, former Rep. Artur Davis of Alabama discussed his political transformation.

“If you’re in the Democratic Party, if you don’t think the same on about five or six or seven issues as the mainstream of your party, you are as much out to lunch as any moderate Republican would be and many people can testify to that,” Davis said. “That’s not simply part of my story; that’s part of the story of many Democrats.”

Davis served four terms in the House as a Democrat representing the Birmingham area. An early supporter of Barack Obama, he ran for the Democratic nomination for governor of Alabama in 2010, which he lost to then-state agriculture commissioner Ron Sparks.

Two years later, Davis said he is one of many Americans who supported Obama in 2008 but has been disappointed with his job performance and pursuit of a progressive agenda. He announced on his blog last month that he was joining the Republican Party and registering to vote in Virginia, where he now lives.

“Yes, it is a little bit unusual for someone who used to be a Democratic elected official to switch parties,” he said, but predicted the more liberals continue to make their arguments, the more people will move toward conservatism.

“We don’t really have to heckle the other side. We don’t really have to shout down the other side. We don’t have to cut the president off at his press conferences,” he said. “The more the other side keeps talking, the more the other side keeps making its arguments, the more people are beginning to move our way. I firmly believe that.”

Davis called the number of moderate Democrats serving in elected office “perilously low.”

While serving in Congress, Davis joined many of his fellow Democrats in criticizing former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales. When Gonzales resigned in 2007 amid an investigation into the dismissal of several U.S. attorneys, Davis released a statement saying he would be “regarded as one of the least distinguished attorney generals in a generation.”

He indicated regret for that hard-line position Tuesday when asked to comment on the ongoing controversy surrounding current Attorney General Eric Holder, who is facing a contempt vote by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

“We kind of personalized it a little bit and we made a lot of it about Attorney General Gonzales and frankly, sometimes we seemed so mad at [Gonzales] that people stopped hearing what we were saying about how U.S. attorneys were selected and dismissed,” he said. “I think we made a mistake in doing that, so I’m not going to bend over backwards to the other side and make the same mistake.”

But Davis said he doesn’t understand some of the Justice Department’s priorities, pointing to the Roger Clemens trial, the Operation Fast and Furious gun-running program, voter ID laws and the recent trial of former presidential candidate John Edwards.

“Fast and Furious is something I have a very hard time understanding,” he said, noting that when he served as a junior prosecutor in Montgomery it was a basic principle not to let guns and drugs leave in the hands of criminals. He said Republicans are “absolutely right” to investigate the operation.

He also said the same Department of Justice that is suing three states over voter ID laws won’t let people far past their guards without them showing an ID. An undercover investigation by PJ Media and a subsequent report from Project Veritas revealed the department’s ID requirements.

“We are accustomed to presenting ID. I don’t think it bothers anybody. I don’t think it disenfranchises anybody,” he said.

The interview runs about five minutes. Hosted by Rob Bluey and produced by Brandon Stewart. For more videos from Heritage, subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Posted in Featured, Ongoing Priorities, Scribe [slideshow_deploy]

8 Responses to VIDEO: Former Democrat Explains Why He Abandoned Obama

1. malcolmkyle says:

“For more than three years, I have been privileged to work closely with many of the most ruthless organizations to the south of our border. I am extremely proud of our record of abuse, fraud, waste, misconduct, and treason and I pledge a continuation of all such policies that will further weaken our national security and compromise all honest efforts of law enforcement.”?- Attorney General Holder.

“I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you.”?- Friedrich Nietzsche

2. Dwayne says:

God bless Rep. Artur Davis, this is a thinking man and a brave man, I hope many follow in his footsteps and send Obama a message that "not every African American is a lapdog for the Democratic party or this administration"

3. tocelp says:

I will bet you cannot find anyone who voted GOP in '08 who will now vote for Obama in '12.

4. Blair Franconia, NH says:

Artur Davis didn't leave the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party left him.

5. Betty Pomeroy says:

I heard Artur Davis interviewed by Dennis Prager today on Talk Radio. Very interesting gentleman. – I believe he is now teaching Political Science at a college – didn't get the name. I was a Democrat back in the '50's and, as Blair Franconia of NH states above – the Party left me. The Republican party is now more like the Democratic party of the 50's and the Democrats are constantly moving further and further to the left – the very liberal left!. Suggest they take a good look at Europe today and see where we'll be if we don't get this great nation turned around – and soon.

6. jaxum says:

Good for Artur Davis. Too bad that other blacks who feel the same way don’t speak up. I was an Independent for many years, voting for the candidate rather than the party; the actions of the Democratic Party has pushed me further and further away until I am now a very conservative Republican. The reason for the change is that I am the sort of person who gives the Democrat liberals nightmares… I can use my brain and think for myself.

7. Bobbie says:

It only shows a person of good quality to change the mind because of truth. I left the party many years ago. I saw their truth that diminishes esteem and potential with no purpose in building.

The Operation Fast and Furious gun-running program, highly inhuman with every intent that doesn't look GOOD! What a disgrace in leadership to America! Voter ID laws, funny Nancy Pelosi talks about VOTER suppression but not preventing voter fraud or promoting election and voter integrity. Voter suppression isn't possible under one requirement for all. Suppression comes from the person who does it to himself by ignoring the big responsibility to qualify to vote with a big boy picture ID. I don't know what to say about Roger Clemens except I had no idea the intrusions by government authority so freely on private citizens that are no threat to society being the role of outside government? And JOhn Edwards, what can anyone say about that little man piece of trash other then it shouldn't have been so highly publicized. Very beneath American conduct in leadership. Going out of their way for attention.

8. Keven Porter says:

Mr. Artur Davis:
      You didn't stay long enough to fight the good fight. It was easier for you to give up and go republican because as a black man, you would be welcomed by that group. How long will the romance last?