• Valuing Mothers' Work

Yesterday, Hilary Rosen, a Democratic strategist and Democratic National Convention advisor, said that Ann Romney “never worked a day in her life.”

By Rosen’s standard, raising children—five boys, in Mrs. Romney’s case—apparently doesn’t count as work. The nation’s 85.4 million mothers would likely disagree.

Rosen has since apologized for her remarks, saying her words “were poorly chosen.”

Yet, as Carrie Lukas, managing director of Independent Women’s Forum notes:

It’s tempting, of course, to hold this remark up as evidence of the very low opinion that many on the Left hold of stay-at-home moms. Feminists like Linda Hirshman, author of Get to Work … and Get a Life Before It’s Too Late have helped create the sense that many on the Left consider women who take time out of the workforce as letting down the sisterhood, and failing to contribute to society in any meaningful way.

And as Penny Nance, president and CEO of Concerned Women for America, asserts, Rosen’s remarks are evidence of “a deeper problem with the values of this administration and even sometimes society at large.” She went on:

We say raising kids is the hardest and most important work in the world. How does this administration not get how important stay-at-home moms are to our nation? Haven’t they heard the saying, “The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world”?

And if women had it their way, they would spend more time at home with their children. A 2007 Pew Survey reveals that 70 percent of full-time working mothers with children under 18 would prefer to work either part-time or not at all. The number of women who prefer to stay at home has grown since the late 1990s. As the Pew report shows, today just 21 percent of all working mothers say that full-time work is the most ideal situation for them, compared to 32 percent who said that in 1997.

However, the Obama Administration’s big government policies make it more difficult for families to make ends meet, restricting mothers’ ability to choose their ideal work situations. Burdensome taxes along with a rising national debt not only mean that families have less economic freedom today and that future generations will be strapped with the debt created by their predecessors.

Mothers are a priceless resource to their children, families, and the nation. Policies should support mothers—and fathers—who work hard every day to nurture the next generation of Americans.

Posted in Featured [slideshow_deploy]

11 Responses to Valuing Mothers' Work

1. @hemo_jr says:

Hillary Rosen's remarks belittle the stay-at-home mother and puts in question the DNC's commitment to the fundamental principle that the choice to work or not is the foundation of modern feminism.

2. Bobbie says:

Is her boss a man? cause I bet if not, this woman would be fired on the spot! Unless Hilary Rosen was brought up without a mom, how dare she underestimate the work of women just being female! Her failed recognition to the miracle of birth only women have the natural ability to give and all it takes to bring up children (even her) is beneath womanhood and she is a bad representative! Some husbands are proud to provide for their families and wives proud to have children unfortunately it's by force of unconstitutional government costs that force women in the work place regardless of health conditions. I commend Mr. Romney for taking on his role as husband and father to his family and his wife for outstanding work in motherhood! If I were Hilary Rosen's boss, her insulting intent wouldn't have come out of her mouth unless she was working to achieve unemployment benefits. There are no democrat women that represents the American woman!!

3. Bobbie says:

not only that but stay at home moms independent from welfare are the budgeter, manager, record keeper and educator and to drag it out the housekeeper, the cook, the doctor. The best economic advice would come from stay at home moms that aren't government dependent! The dad's that provide should get a huge deduction because stay at home moms are indirectly aiding in the employment field by leaving jobs available for other people to provide for their families. We're penalized for being married with only one employed? the government is corrupt and so are the government instigators. This woman was rude, insulting, degrading and it was the democrats that brought in the "Fluke" that was exploitive and embarrassing for women, not sure if "Fluke" was embarrassed? Fluke should sue these democrat dimwits in civil court or we should sue Fluke for slandering the female gender!!

4. Diana says:

I am a stay-at-home-mom who also homeschools and I was highly offended by Hilary Rosen's comments. Her follow up comments were even worse. Hilary Rosen said she misspoke and really meant to say that other women don't have the luxury to stay at home with their children. What luxury? We have sacrificed material goods to be responsible parents to our children. My husband works hard at work and I take care of most everything at home. Other than a few things I can't fix myself, I do the maintenance work on our home, I have a large garden, I can and freeze food, I mow and maintain our property, I homeschool, I'm involved in my church, I volunteer on our Community Early Response Team, I am active in local politics, I cook and clean, I take care of my mom and her home, I visit the elderly and on top of all that I homeschool. Does that sound like work? I well realize that some women have to work and that is o.k. but, don't demean me by saying I don't work!

5. Lloyd Scallan says:

When can Ann Romney expect the apology call from Obama? The answer: when Obama calls every other conservative women, and their children, that has been constantly insulted and demeaned by his leftist lackeys.

6. Jeanne Stotler says:

Let's see I have been both a SAHM and a working single Mom, neither is easy. As far as no economic experiance, well I had to plan menus (plus cook), pay bills, do the banking and balance the check bk each month, keep track of after school activities, was a girl scout leader, got everyone to school and to church as Husband worked on Sunday's early on, I also kept the flower gardens and raised veg.Keep track of medicines for Hubby and monitor his sugar and blood pressure. As a single Mom after my husband died, I went back to school, got my license as a Nurse, worked nights, still had bills to pay, grocery shopping,cook and be a Mom, on top of all this there is still a house to clean and laundry to do, any woman who is a MOTHER deserves praise when her kids all turn out well, it's a challange, more now than in the past. My praise to all who like me choos to become Mom's whether you stay home or work, God Bless You.

7. guest says:

Regarding the article about women would choose to spend more time at home if they could. I would probably say that is true of men or the childless! It's called work for a reason. If work was fun I suspect I would be paying them. If I could stay at home without a negative financial impact I would, so I could avoid the corporate politics and go volunteer or whatever. I am a female, an engineer, and the sole breadwinner. My husband has been unemployed for like, forever.

I feel cheated by feminism, I simply substituted one rut over another rut, but I appreciate their message. I wish the gender gap in pay would go away. That women are not discriminated against in the work place if they choose to go that route or are required by life to go that route. I wish my husband would get a job so I don't feel all the stress of being sole provider.

8. Oracle says:

We can thank the feminist movment for the increase in birth defects from women" fulfilling their professions" and waiting to late in life to have children.

9. L. Bradley says:

Contrary to their claim to support women, the feminists denigrate women. They have championed so called sexual freedom which degrades women and gives men an excuse to exploit them, taking no responsiblity for the results of "free love". It's a field day for men; which by the way, degrades them as well. Instead of building up the noble side of men and the need we have for honorable men, they applaud conquest and bad behavior. A healthy self respect and respect for others is what's needed to have women and men realize their Best selves, not so called "freedom" to wallow in the mud of our worst behavior.

10. D.Andrews says:

I was the primary provider for my home until May 2012. Now I am unemployed, my husband is working two jobs and we wonder what the future will hold since we are going to lose our home soon. I have been in the workforce since I was 14 years old and I'm 51 years old now; however, I have no retirement to look forward to. The only slight comfort I have is that most everyone is in the same boat I am. We had hoped to have our home paid for and some money put aside before the world collapsed. The only bright light in the future for me is the love and support that my husband and son have shown me during this stressful time. Needless to stay all I ever wanted to do was be a stay-at-home mom and this was never an option.

11. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all people you actually recognize what you’re speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also visit my site =). We can have a hyperlink exchange contract between us