• Time to Take Down TSA

Want to cut government spending? Without compromising security? The Ryan budget is a good start, but we can do more.

How about rethinking the Transportation Security Administration?  We need TSA. After all, terrorists continue to target commercial aviation in the U.S. But, do we really need a massive, bloated bureaucracy and an army of government gropers tossing through our trousers and luggage?

Probably not.

With a budget bigger than the FBI, it’s time to seriously rethink whether TSA is giving us the biggest bang for our security buck.

One key finding from a comprehensive assessment of homeland security last year was to redefine the mission of the Transportation Security Administration. The recommendation was that the agency shift from providing airport security to making aviation security policy and regulations.  Screening responsibility would devolve to the airports, whose security operations would be supervised by a federal security director.

Unfortunately, TSA is starting to look less like a security operation and more like just another entrenched bureaucracy. Earlier this month, members of Congress took the agency to task for dragging its feet on letting airports opt out of using government screeners.  The House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure last year reported that U.S. taxpayers would save “$1 billion over five years if the Nation’s top 35 airports operated as efficiently as [San Francisco International Airport] does under the SPP model.” A 2007 independent assessment found that “SPP airports’ overall performance results are equal to or better than those delivered by non-SPP.”

To add inefficiency to waste, President Obama’s proposed budget would slash funding for the Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) program by 50 percent. The FFDO program allows TSA to deputize commercial pilots as federal law enforcement officers. FFDOs are estimated to be able to cover five times as many flights as Federal Air Marshals, providing a strong added layer of defense and deterrence against the threat of terrorism and air piracy—at a cost of about $15 a flight. Gutting this cost-effective program makes no sense. No wonder some pilots are not flying friendly in the skies.

When it comes to air travel security, the administration still opts for the most costly, big-government approaches over far more cost-effective security options. Taxpayers and passengers deserve better.

Posted in Security [slideshow_deploy]

27 Responses to Time to Take Down TSA

1. Diane Schulz says:

TSA agent in Montgomery County just arrested for transporting 15 year old across state lines for the purpose of prostitution. See WUSA 9.

2. Bobbie says:

no offense to anyone at LAX (I had no problem and they were really nice except when they yell out "we have an opt out!" but all expensively unnecessary! Too bad they couldn't think their minds much better use for themselves.) dogs do a much more effective job and the airline business takes a much more sound approach handling the security of their own business at their own expense within reason. Not only do dogs sniff out the problem without the groping or radiation, they go right to the problem and plenty of times give the problem a second thought!!

3. Bill Fisher says:

This agency is just a jobs program for the unemployable. There have been 72 reported security breaches in the last 14 months. After sixty billion dollars they can't cite one success, fail 70% of security tests and allow 60% of the freight in the hold to go unchecked.

Add to that the 62 TSA screeners arrested in 2011 for serious crime, including rape and murder and ten more in 2012. Last year, eleven TSA screeners were charged with sex crimes involving children. TSA can’t prevent crime within their ranks, but we’re supposed to trust this agency with airport security.

TSA is indifferent to public opinion and consider their repeated harassment of innocent citizens a measure of success. They claim to use unpredictable procedures and sensitive security information as an excuse to conceal rampant misconduct and mismanagement within the agency.

The agency’s lack of responsible oversight is why so many crimes, abuses and failures continue to occur. Pistole and the TSA staff have failed miserably and the agency needs to be replaced with a sensible and effective system.

• BADKarma says:

Oh, it goes beyond indifference. Anyone who dares complain about the rape, theft, abuse and bullying is immediately singled out as a "terror suspect" and put on a "watch list". Under Obama-Rahl, the TSA is rapidly becoming the U.S. version of the Waffen SS.

• Susan says:

You can not make judgements like they are all bad. There are bad everywhere look around.this is so unfair. I know a lot of TSA and a lot are military so do not judge them.

4. Todd says:

The TSA is one of those ideas that looks good on paper but has been a miserable failure in reality – and a huge waste of resources.

5. Nolen says:

My wife, or myself fly only when there is no alternative. Hence mostly a few times a year. Since the beginning of being subjected to the TSA, On at least 2 occasions, one this month (march), we've had valuables or semi valuables, REMOVED from our checked luggage. We know this is NOT an isolated trait for these goons. Some items may be more sentimental than valuable, but it matters not, to them, as with most common thieves. I realize that there are some good among the rank & file of the agency, but must wonder if there will be a decent replacement for these otherwise "unemployables"..? Is it feasible??

6. FlyboyF16 says:

I couldn't agree with you more! As a 25 year Air Force veteran and a current FFDO I get angry every time I go to the airport. I see as many TSA employees in the Starbucks line and the break room than I do "inspecting" passengers. Also, as FFDOs we do the initial qualification (one week) and each semi-annual requals on our dime. Nothing could be more cost effective than the FFDO program.

• Lfox328 says:

I agree. This puts some protection in the hands of someone who has reason to want a safe flight. And, although I've always had respectful TSA people in my presence, I think the money is better spent on other means. It's been a boondoggle for the companies providing the screening equipment (some of whom have been rumored to have ties to the Democratic party).

7. Bee says:

They just outsourced security at the small airport here in Syracuse, NY; going the save the local government a million dollars a year. This is a small airport

• Kyle says:

Now that's real smart! Putting our safety in the hands of foreign people who could care less about the USA as long as they are making money for food to eat.

Think a bout it. On most sites you hear nothing but trash talk on America and now we are outsourcing our security? First it was commerce where our money goes to slave labor where people only make a dollar per day but now security is coming from overseas?

What's next? Are they going to outsource the entire government and all of us will be working minimum wage and fighting in the streets for a loaf of bread?

8. capt Elaine says:

I won't fly until TSA is GONE!!

9. Linda says:

I won't fly to visit my grandkids because of TSA and I won't allow my grandkids on a plane because of the groping of children under the age of 12, to come visit me. When I want to visit or have my grandchildren visit me, I DRIVE to go pick them up from another state.
      This is ridiculous. We as citizens should NOT be afraid to fly to see our loved ones. TSA employees need to go home and grope their own families for a while. Oh wait, that would be molestation/incest. Hmmmm, but its not when its not someone they know?

10. Jay says:

Number of hijackings prevented by the TSA since it was established: Zero.

Number of hijackings prevented by alert passengers since the TSA was established: Let's see, I can think of at least 3 that made the news.

On the plus side, the TSA has probably prevented hundreds of potential terrorists from bringing shampoo on board, and you know how terrorists hate to launch suicide attacks when their hair is dirty. Who wants to meet his 70 virgins with bad hair? They may say, "Yuck, I hate a man with greasy hair."

Mostly what the TSA accomplishes is insuring that the people who actually succeed in stopping hijackings — alert passengers — are deprived of every possible means of doing so. Clearly a much more effective policy would be to say that if a passenger goes through the scanners and is found to not be carrying any weapons, they immediately hand him a taser.

• Kyle says:

I actually didn't know that. I was wondering why we haven't had a single hijacking since 2001 which I have wondered if it was either the TSA security doing it's job scaring away terrorist or alert passengers or even a little of both?
        However I do believe that privatized security would do a better job as long as it's under extreme supervision by the Feds to shut down any illegal operations.

I am also surprised that there hasn't been any train hijackings like in the old west movies in the US since trains are very vulnerable to being hijacked.

11. I believe that the best thing we can do to get rid of the TSA is complain constantly to the airlines and tell them that the TSA made our flying experience so unpleasant that we will avoid flying again. This is something I do every time I travel.

Some would argue that this won't work because the airlines can't control the TSA, but I disagree. The airlines can be our biggest ally in the fight against the TSA. We need to convince them they are losing lots of money because their passengers hate flying because of the TSA.

Airlines have money, lawyers, lobbyists, PAC's and so on. If enough of us complain the airlines will see the TSA as being bad for the bottom line and they will let start suing the government to try to get rid of the TSA. They will start lobbying for its disbandment. They will start to resist its intrusions.

Please, always complain to the airline about the TSA and always make it clear that you will not be flying again because of them.

12. Jack Robinson says:

The patting down or frisking of every pasenger without just cause is and always has been unconstitutional. It has never since it's inception caught or prevented an act of terrorism.It is a huge over reach of government power and an enormous waste of tax payor dollars.Personal dignity is a thing of the past. I will not fly again.
      There are better methods that can be used to secure our safety.
      What background checks are done on these people? And who does them?

• Kyle says:

If they can't have an intelligence team stop a terrorist BEFORE one boards an airplane then it's too late to stop one period.

If the government kept closer tabs on the 9-11 suspects instead of being afraid of racism the suspects could've been arrested at the gate while trying to board the planes and walk out of the airport in handcuffs with three hots and a cot. ;)

13. Susan says:

No we can not go back that is just what evil would want us to do. I have no problem and actually feel safer. If we can pay for abortions, illegal aliens healthcare and crossing border to give birth then I will support TSA to keep me safe. That's where I want my tax dollars to go. Time that we look forward to American's safety.

14. J. McKeever says:

TSA is nothing more than the typical knee jerk reaction this government does. Too much way too late. Ask the folks on the Jet Blue flight who is ow going to take care of problems. The folks directly affected that who. Folks understand who better to ptrotect them but themselves.

15. Ron ABCD says:

I work in the air freight business. They are constantly attempting to entrap those of us in this business by having agents come to our doors and get us to take a box from them to transport on a Commercial Airliner. I've been doing this for over 20 years and the only time anybody tries to have any of us accept a package from an unknown source it is the TSA. So I guess entrapment is their favorite form of enforcement. Signed as anonymous as I don't need them banging on my doors anymore than normal.

16. edna cramer says:

The last time I had an encounter with TSA I was 93. Now I am past 95 and since 93 have not had one of their airplane rides. If you think that people in their 20, 30, 40 year ages have a bad time you shoujld check out those of us VERY old people who try to navigate their instructions. WOW./

17. Brent says:

As someone who travels virtually every week, I see first hand the waste that occurs at TSA security checkpoints. It is not out of the norm to have 3-5 agents working (x-ray, ID check, and body scan) and another 6-8 standing around. I count every week and we throw money down a hole with these people.

18. Chuck Eaneff says:

Well said. The Federal Aviation Security (TSA) should look to State/local public safety, specifically the well established Fire Service practice of shared responsibility for reducing loss. There is a government Fire Marshal in every jurisdiction (airport?) responsible for ensuring public safety through a shared responsibility between builders, owners, occupants and fire departments. Departments strive to meet a operational fire response time standard (NFPA), sharing responsibility for reducing loss of life and property through an appropriate balance of private sector building and fire protection equipment design, staffing, and maintenance, along with voluntary training and drills. Even though there is no "once size fits all" solution, clear lines of responsibility and accountability for reducing loss are maintained-even in a system where 75% or so of firefighters are volunteer.
      There is no homeland security without a shared responsibility for all hazards and no amount of Homeland Security can change that.

19. Teresa Olson says:

My husband is flying to and from customer's sites each month and is exposed to radiation each time. Makes me mad because there's nothing to stop the idiocy! His many recent CT scans, due to the DUI driver who hit him, exposed him to10,000 times the radiation of a normal xray, and now he has to be exposed to even more radiation just to conduct business. The choice between the humility of being groped by a stranger (and taking more time) and being potentially roasted by radiation, is a very bad choice.

20. GJJJ says:

WAKE UP, DON'T FLY. PROTEST WHILE YOU STILL CAN. STOP THIS SMOKE AND MIRROR SHOW. WRITE OR CALL YOUR STATE REP'S EVERY DAY, LET THEM KNOW YOUR VOTE DEPENDS ON WHERE THEY STAND ON THE ISSUE OF THE TSA. WE MUST STOP THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!