• Pop Quiz: 10 Questions to Test Your Knowledge on Gas Prices

Americans are upset over the rising cost of gasoline. As the national average for regular unleaded climbs to nearly $4 per gallon, President Obama’s approval rating is headed in the opposite direction. As drivers pay closer attention to the price at the pump, they’re also growing more displeased with the policies from the White House, according to new polls released this week.

With little relief in sight as the summer months approach, it’s time for Washington to act. Heritage’s Nick Loris has recommended five common-sense solutions that include approving the Keystone XL pipeline and removing regulatory barriers.

We’ve also put together a 10-question quiz to test your knowledge about gas prices and the oil industry. You might be surprised by some of the answers.

Posted in Scribe [slideshow_deploy]

14 Responses to Pop Quiz: 10 Questions to Test Your Knowledge on Gas Prices

1. Stirling says:

Nice Quiz. If those in the Liberal media would present the numbers (without the green agenda) to let people decide for themeselves the answers to our Energy problem would be an easy choice we could all agree on.

2. i disagree with the first answer… 12 may be the direct taxation to the consumer, but there is hidden taxation at ever step of the process, from income , ssi taxes on companies, business taxes, imprt taxes, taxes on equipment , and energy to produce the fuel… mor e likely above 20%

3. bsommars says:

Nice quiz indeed. I realize its about gas prices but there's no mention of alternative energy. Frankly, I'm over gas. I'd like to use science and technology to figure out an alternate solution so we don't have to dig up our land and jeopardize our environment (and I'm not just talking global climate change as I know some don't believe in it). I'm talking about air and water pollution. If we pollute our water, we pollute our food supply. How is that a good choice for humans to make? I'm concerned about the Keystone XL pipeline going through the farmland of America. I have relatives in Ogalalla, NE where the aquifer that supplies 30% of the groundwater. I do not trust the pipeline and many Nebraskan's don't either. Those who don't know about the tar sands oil pipeline spill in Kalamazoo in 2010, might want to google it and read all about the threat that exists to your health if you support Keystone XL (which would be on a much much larger scale). Fact: Pipelines rupture from time to time. We all know that (or perhaps some are ignorant to that fact). The only oil I like on my food is olive oil. Gas is so last century. Let's move on already. Keystone would only provide temp jobs anyway. Once the pipeline is built, it sits there as pipelines do. Alternative energy pursuits could provide many long-term jobs through research & development, production, manufacturing of new cars, etc. The opportunities with a new kind of fuel are endless where as oil is old news. The oil companies don't need taxpayer subsidies either in my opinion. I'm glad to see Exxon get in to the Algae research but these are some of the most profitable companies in the world. Why would they need financial assistance from cash-strapped taxpayers like me? I worked way too hard for that money to give it to billionaires. I'm over it. Citizen's united must be overturned and the manipulation must end. This is the people's country. All people!

• coyotewise says:

Really, you are doing a parody, no? As soon as you figure out how to produce as much energy with
        your alternatives, at a cost no more than what we were paying for gasoline, diesel and coal (before
        President Obama and Democrat Congress, pre 2010 election, and Energy Secretary Chu decided to do
        all they could to raise the price of these fuels), then, and only then will it be a wise decision to turn away
        from hydrocarbon based engery sources. Don't try to sell "Pie in the sky" until you have a photo-voltaic
        cell that can produce a ratio of 60% useful engery to 40% energy loss due to heating. Or a wind turbine
        that can reliablly generate power when the air is calm. Tidal wave action? The cost per therm is literally
        out of this world. Growing Algae? There isn't enough arable land mass to produce what we need, unless you don't like eating, and the cost would be tremendous per therm.

• Carlos says:

Although I agree with some of your comments you are mistaken that pipelines are dangerous. We have been transporting gas, oil, water and waste through pipelines for a very long time. It alot environmentally friendly to use pipeline that railroads or ship since we are buying from the middle east and transport it to America.

4. APA says:

I'm guessing that this must be one of those MS Internet Explorer-only sites. It doesn't work for me. The "Next" button does nothing.

5. Matt says:

How about an eleventh question. How makes more money on a gallon of gas? Oil companies( about $.08/ gal) or our own government(about $0.22 to $0.66/ gal depending on your state).

6. EON59 says:

Actually in Minnesota we pay closer to 20 percent in state and federal taxes per gallon. You should have also shown that the US is the 3rd largest producer of oil in the world and that Russia is first and the Saudi's are second. I think most people don't realize just how large of an oil producer we are.

7. Pragmatic says:

I have less faith in the answers given that at least 7 of the 10 cite energy (oil and gas) lobbies and organizations.

8. Pragmatic says:

For those of you who actually read multiple arguments on an issue instead of just talking points: http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/its-n

9. Bobbie says:

multiple arguments means multiple angles. today angles come intentionally impractical, unreasonable, irrational. With all the corruption in every area outside the peoples own control, it's important for necessary evaluation of as many angles as this adolescent government administration puts out there that's destroying freedoms, liberties and human dignity.

10. Don says:

What are the correct answers>