• Morning Bell: The Calls for Liberty Have Not Been Silenced

Call it what you want — a circus, a sideshow, or just plain old political rhetoric — but for the past week America has watched the media elite and some in Washington bend over backward to turn attention away from an issue that is fundamental to the future of this country: Obamacare’s attack on individual liberty. While those who favor its mandates may think they have changed the debate and quelled opposition, they are sorely mistaken.

It all stems from a decision by the Obama Administration to mandate that religious employers, including schools, hospitals, and charities, provide health care coverage for abortion-inducing drugs and contraception despite the fact that such coverage is in total contradiction of many of these groups’ core religious beliefs. Some have attempted to make this a debate about other issues, but despite their efforts, the core complaint about this anti-conscience mandate remains: The President’s policy is an unprecedented attack on all Americans’ rights as protected by the First Amendment. And those who prize religious liberty aren’t backing down.

In a letter last week to Catholic bishops in the United States, Timothy Cardinal Dolan, Archbishop of New York and president of United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, described his resolve to continue opposition to the mandate, despite the White House’s call to come to the table of so-called “accommodation”:

We have made it clear in no uncertain terms to the government that we are not at peace with its invasive attempt to curtail the religious freedom we cherish as Catholics and Americans. We did not ask for this fight, but we will not run from it . . .

At a recent meeting between staff of the bishops’ conference and the White House staff, our staff members asked directly whether the broader concerns of religious freedom — that is, revisiting the straight-jacketing mandates, or broadening the maligned exemption — are all off the table. They were informed that they are. So much for ‘working out the wrinkles.’ Instead, they advised the bishops’ conference that we should listen to the “enlightened” voices of accommodation . . .

Given this climate, we have to prepare for tough times.

Catholics are by no means alone in their outrage against the mandate. More than 2,700 evangelical pastors and Christian leaders have signed a Family Research Council letter to the President in which they, too, voice their defense of liberty:

Our country was founded on certain freedoms, the first of which is the freedom of religion. The ability of a religious person to follow their conscience without fearing government intervention has long been a protected right for Americans. It is unfathomable to picture a country that would deny religious freedoms.

. . . Thomas Jefferson drafted the Virginia Act for Establishing Religious Freedom in 1779, which passed in 1786, and set the stage for the First Amendment. In it, Jefferson states: “to compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves, is sinful and tyrannical.” Consequently, we ask that you would reverse this decision and protect the conscience rights of those who have biblically-based opposition to funding or providing contraceptives and abortifacients.

But it’s not just religious institutions that will feel the brunt of the mandate. As Dolan points out, individual believers will be forced to pay for measures that violate their religious freedom and conscience. He writes, “We can’t abandon the hard working person of faith who has a right to religious freedom.” Individual liberties are in jeopardy, and the assault on freedoms is not limited just to the right to practice one’s faith. Indeed, the power granted to the federal government under Obamacare is boundless, and Washington will have growing leverage to make decisions that alter our lives in ways that can’t even be predicted. Billie Tucker, a leader of Florida’s First Coast Tea Party, says that this is but the next step in a troubling trend:

First they came for our money when they bailed out irresponsible banks, companies and individuals. Our personal and national financial security is now at risk.

Then they took away the ability to choose our own doctors, insurance carriers, and treatments. “It is only fair,” they said as they rammed down our throats the most intrusive legislation ever in our lifetime. Our personal health is now at risk.

And now they come for what drove so many of our founding fathers to America’s shores. They want to mandate religious institutions, schools, and people of faith by forcing them to pay for morally objectionable services that run counter to their religious beliefs. Freedom of religion is now at risk.

The First Amendment has been dismantled before our eyes.

America is now at risk.

No matter the direction the debate has taken, the deeply flawed policy remains, as does the opposition. Fortunately, Americans are not powerless to take action against this continuing encroachment on liberty. To begin with, Congress can and should take action now to stand in opposition to this anti-conscience mandate and ensure that the liberties guaranteed under the First Amendment remain intact. As Obamacare’s two-year anniversary approaches, we’ve already seen two monumental reasons it must be repealed: the individual mandate and the anti-conscience mandate. But these are by no means the last of Obamacare’s attacks on Americans’ liberty.

The anti-conscience mandate must go. Obamacare must go.

Quick Hits:

Posted in Obamacare [slideshow_deploy]

114 Responses to Morning Bell: The Calls for Liberty Have Not Been Silenced

1. mcy - Washington, DC says:

For those of us old enough to remember this is reminiscent of Fidel Castro and for the rest just think of what Hugo Chavez did and is doing in Venezuela. We, the People, need to wake up and take back our country.
      Do not let this Administration do any more damage to our beloved country. mcy

2. Mary......WI says:

Billie Tucker from the FL First Coast Tea Party hit the nail on the head. But where is Congress? Just like in WI the Liberals are taking over every aspect of the people's lives. The only two words they know are control and tax!

I applaud the Catholic Bishops and the many other faith leaders for standing together to "fight" for religious freedom in this country. If they lose the battle this country as we've known it, is over. Is the only venue left a revolution by the people to take back their liberty…..is this how it all ends?!

Whoever the GOP candidate is I'll vote for him and pray like crazy that he can beat Barack Hussein Obama and his regime. I'm frustrated and saddened with what is happening in this country….I want my country back!

• armyvet says:

Mary, I don't believe for a moment that this is over. This is the first time Obama has met any resistance that hasn't caved! He has now met a formidable opponet! The church will not cave in and go against it's belief. They will, if he doesn't back down, close all their Hospitals and health care facilities in the US! Over 30% of those in the US are Catholic. This could not be any help to his Obamacare. He either will back down, or like the car industry, take them over by force, government intervention. However, I don't think it will go over with the public, as if that happened, other religious institutions owned by other denominations will be next.

• armyvet says:

The Catholic Church will not back down. He has met a fomidable opponet this time. They will close all their Hospitals (30

The Catholic Church will not back down. They will not go against their beliefs. They will close all their hospitals and healthcare facilities 1st, which consists of more than 30% of all those in the US.

3. Hawk says:

I am appalled at the lack of consistences of this administration. On one hand they direct judges to consider sharia law when it comes to domestic abuses but on the other support contraceptives. Women are the losers when it comes to policy of this administration.

4. RG Schmidt says:

"The anti-conscience mandate must go. Obamacare must go."

Obama must go.

5. NOTTELLIN1 says:

Here is my homage to Martin Niemoller…written last week

When the government told us there would be a mandate to buy health insurance, I didn’t care because mine health insurance is employer assisted.

When the government told us that pregnancy was a disease that required free preventive care, I didn’t care because I cannot become pregnant.

When the government told me health plans had to include free preventive care including contraceptives, I didn’t care because I don’t use them.

When the government told us that our churches had to pay for contraceptives, then the insurance companies had to provide for free, I started to care because we all know that nothing an insurance company does is ‘free’.

6. NOTTELLIN1 says:

When the government told us we needed to eat healthy food, I didn’t care until they started replacing the lunches I had packed for my child and fining me for what I chose for my child to eat.

When the government closed down my church because it didn’t like my religion, took my gun so that I could not defend myself, and threw me in jail for speaking out against them.

I wished I’d cared when the government mandated that we had to buy health insurance.

• mdb749 says:

Kinda sounds like communism to me – doesn't it to you? We're on that slippery slope and giving this president another four years will seal our fate. He is dismantling the Constitution bit by bit and NOBODY is standing up to him – not the Republicans in the House or Senate and certainly not the democrats. We're in deep doo-doo without a paddle.

• Bill Hart says:

Great example… Let's hope the folks arguing before SCOTUS see where this could take us.

7. Suz says:

Vote him and his constituents out! Obama suckes!

8. HOW CONSERVATIVES DESTROYED AMERICA
      Ruined our great Savings and Loan Industry
      Closed Fairness Doctrine that has allowed Mush Dimbaugh types on our public airwaves
      Closed Revenue Sharing
      Since 1980, initiated our involvement in 10 foreign conflicts
      Repealed Glass Steagall—took deposits in 7000 banks and put 80% in (10) Too Big To Fail
      Modernization of Commodities Market—from Investment to Casino Derivative Of America
      2 very dumb invasions of two of most poor -most unarmed nations on earth=OIL OIL OIL
      Ruined our International Reputation as a Do Good Christian nation to Big Bully Devil.
      Stood by as Freak Marketeers ruined our Housing Industry.
      Stood by as Casino Derivative of America ruined the World Financial Industry.
      Impeached a Great President for petty political gains that created long term animosity between two parties.
      Attempted to destroy Safety Nets that make America's great middle class

• Clearhead says:

Go back to school, Mr. Swiney. You can't even spell "PROGRESSIVES" correctly !!

• FriendForLife says:

It's very hard to face facts like these when one's mind is already made up… thanks for trying at least.

• milesman says:

I wonder if the delusional illogical liberals ever wonder why they are a minority and always will be

• Janice says:

All I can say is, You are Nuts.

• Stirling says:

We shall pray for you, that you someday understand that government is not the answer to all the problems that have occured in the past and now. Conservatives have fought for the individual rights of people like you for years, and the constitutional rights that separate us from 3rd world dictators countries which seek to take away those rights. This is a free country and as is such everyone is entitled to their opinion, please have the courtesy to respect others with differing opions and not the current trend by the liberal media to blame and silence speach.. Thank you.

9. Attempted to destroy Safety Nets that make America great middle class
      Implemented Tax Codes that permitted redistribution of Wealth to top (10%) who now own (73%) of all Net Wealth and (83%) of all Financial Wealth and take home (50%) of all individual income.
      Today, they have taken America to ranking in oecd nations as (# 2) as Least Taxed—(# 2) as least taxed corporations and horror horror (# 4) on Inequality from bottom 5 in 1980.
      Since 1980, their Spend & Borrow policies are, mainly, responsible for adding 14,000 Billion to a 1000 Billion debt
      Fought the great GI Bill.
      Fought the WWII Draft
      Installed strict laws which created 57 % of prison inmates on Marijuana use charges which make us lead the world in prison population.
      Refuse to control the drug Beer.
      There are many many more baddies.
      CONCLUSION:::: WANT TO SEE END OF AN EMPIRE YIELD CONTROL TO
      REPUBLICAN CONSERVATIVES AS WAS DONE IN 2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-2006.
      SIX OF WORST YEARS IN OUR HISTORY. IMAGINE IF THEY HAD 12 YEARS???

• allen says:

I am not going to PAY for something that is INSERTED into your MOTHER so she can not have childern.

• Barry S says:

Your post would have had some weight if you had limited your comment to one subject. What on earth is your point? I can only guess.

• guest says:

Mr Swinney, doyou have children or grandchildren? I suggest you apologize to them for what you and your cohorts are doing to destroy their ability to live the ameican dream..LIKE YOU ARE. You have been brainwahed..I say you should move to Europe.

• Conrad vonB says:

The story and the issue is about What services a Govt/Taxpayer laws make all of us pay for. It is only one or two issues. Not the several issues your two posts made. What is you point of view on the topic of forcing me to pay for your doctor and hospital bills? I have for the past 50 years paid for all my Doctor and Hospital bills and paid every penny of the health ins. I picked on my own. No one ever made me pay any of it and I do not want you to pay for mine and I do not want to pay for yours. We call that freedom. Your posts are that of a babbling useful idiot!

• Mr. Swinney, I read your facebook profile information. In it you attempt to imply that you are of a christian bent as well as to imply that your meager training in Psychology permits you to be able to "read" people. What does all your vitriol above mean? It sounds to me as if you are a man filled with a deep hate for conservative Christians. If that is true, I suppose you will vote a second time for the anti-Christ currently in office.

• I think you're missing the point. You blame conservatives for the nation's ills. The blame needs to be spread to BOTH parties. Republicans and democrats have been in the process of destroying this country and it's foundations for some time now. The needle of blame floats back and forth between the two parties, but they share the responsibility for their actions.

While we're throwing blame around, lets talk about the second WORST president this country we've had. We're talking about jimmy carter. I was in Europe when he was in office. I was embarrassed to say that I was an American at that time. The dollar was weakest it had ever been on the international market. Armed Forces Network radio stated on every evening news of what day it was for the hostages held in Iran. The price of gold was $800 an ounce. He gave away the Panama Canal (even though we bought at fair market value every square inch of the land it was built on and had the deeds to prove it). He signed into law the Department of Energy, which has done nothing to meet the goal of providing America's fuel needs.

Now lets move onto the next communist president we've had: bill clinton. In his tenure in office: he is responsible for the "safe streets act" (IE- gun control). He was responsible for BBQing 76 people in TX, along with the shooting deaths of some children and a mother in Idaho. Bill's hippie wife attempted to put America onto socialized medicine and failed (obama and your congressmen succeeded). Bill sent the armed forces into harms way in Kosovo to protect muslims (we're still there and have units rotating in and out), we were repaid by those goat fornicating child pedophiles by crashing planes into the WTC and pentagon. Taxing social security was passed on Bill's watch (Al "I created the internet" Gore was the deciding vote).

Anybody in the three branches of government is to blame. The deep pockets of multinational corporations are to blame. But the biggest blame goes to the American people for their inaction of holding those responsible accountable.

• Clearhead says:

Now I understand. I thought you were genuine for a minute there, but I see now that you are just one of the 'progressive' moles filling decent comment sites with your unfounded and over-biased spew of gibberish. You did however touch upon a subject toward the end of this one — But as usual, you screwed that one up also. Here — I'll correct it for you (original) "WANT TO SEE END OF AN EMPIRE YIELD CONTROL TO REPUBLICAN CONSERVATIVES?" (corrected) "DO YOU WANT TO SEE THE END OF THE OBAMA EMPIRE BY YIELDING CONTROL TO REPUBLICAN CONSERVATIVES?"
        And mr. swiney, the answer is — YES !! YES !! YES !! AT WHATEVER THE COST !!!!

• Bobbie says:

Mr. Swinney, with all due respect are you a resident from a government run facility?
        just looking for correlation or conflict of interest, sir. thank you.

• Bill Hart says:

You actually have a couple of ponies in that pile… all that it would take is to switch where YOU placed the blame.

• Bill says:

What a complete loon you are.

Your such a fool. How much money are you asking that we each send to you so you can spend all day at home watching MSNBC.

10. How true this is. We are witnessing the installation of tyranny before our very eyes. Freedom is in desperate danger!

11. BOOGALIE says:

You are on point here. We will see in the next several months as we approach the November election a continuous stream of fabrications that will be meant to take our 'eye off the ball'. I yearn for a rep candidate that could articulate conservative views, but at the same time pray that the one that is chosen to 'lead' a conservative opposition to POTUS will be inspired and enjoy a divine hand of inervention. My greatest fear is that I believe POTUS is capable of 'allowing' a military conflict to ensure his re-election, hope I am wrong. Semper Fi.

12. charles labounty says:

It's amazing !!!
      Our land has come full circle.
      This Country was founded by people seeking religious freedom.
      Now religious leaders are having to lead a fight against government to preserve our freedom.
      I hope they prevail, because the voting electorate is not doing a very good job on picking people that believe in individual freedoms and responsibilty.

13. Daver says:

The Family Research Council's letter is correct–but doesn't even go far enough. They caveated "Biblically based" opposition– but I believe there are a lot more people than that, that find the funding of Planned Parenthood deeply troubling. The Hyde amendment was supposed to protect against tax-payer funded abortions. But when you provide an entity that performs abortions with money–is it necessary to see taxpayer dollar bills stitching the wound to understand that your funds are supporting the performance of abortions?

The fact that this administration just tried to mandate that the government had the right to decide who could preach religious messages is all the people have to know to understand that this government sees no limits on what it can and cannot mandate to the people of this country.

14. Robert says:

Just a quick question. Where will the Mayflower leaving America for religious freedom go? What place on earth would provide better protection of religion than what the settlers came to "the new world" seeking?

Our freedoms are most definitely in peril. If this bastion of our liberties is taken away, how long will it be before America is (to put a twist on a Michelle Antoinette Obama term) a freedom desert?

15. Steve says:

The big question is; will America survive this treasonous, multifaceted attack until the democratic process can be exercised or will we need to go the way of Hondouras?

• It will survive if We the People stand up and say no more. Being silent and not holding our employees (senators, congressmen) accountable for their actions provides more lubrication to the slippery slide into 3rd world status.

16. Whicket Williams says:

Freedom is under attack worldwide. I am afraid that people are distracted by the lies – all you have to do to realize this is to see that DR RON PAUL, the ONLY politician who cares for freedom, is being call anything and everything except MR President. He is the ONLY person on this planet that I would trust in that office.

• guest says:

Unfortunately a candidate without strong backing that is on a ticket may cause votes to taken away from a major party and therefore prevent a CHANGE. We have to bite the bullet, vote in unison for one candidate, although they may not be the best and get this administration changed….4 more years and we'll have $10 gallon gas and taxes/debt so high that we might as well move to another country.

• Lane Crystal says:

Ron Paul supporters at a caucus in Seattle said that Paul was in it only to skew the nomination, and that if Romney wasn't nominated, they would vote for Obama. Your true colors, sir.

• saveamerica says:

True colors? Whoever doesn't vote for Paul, doesn't vote to bring America back. True colors. Paul proves his word with no tendencies to abuse the position or the American peoples constitution and is willed to repair the horrific abuses that have caused egregious damage to the respects of our founding documents which established America's strength in principles and values. Media doesn't give Ron Paul exposure because Ron Paul's diligence is a threat to America's opposition to which there are many known and an unlimited amount of unknown who make excellent but false impressions…

17. beetlebabee says:

Excellent article! Our freedoms were bought with the blood of patriots. Hocking those freedoms for trinkets is unconscionable. Whose blood will buy them back?

• Kannehart says:

As a 60 year old woman, mother, grandmother, proud American, lover of the Declaration and Constitution, I would shed my blood (gladly) for the perpetuity of this great country!

18. Cannot be said better, "As Obamacare’s two-year anniversary approaches, we’ve already seen two monumental reasons it must be repealed: the individual mandate and the anti-conscience mandate. But these are by no means the last of Obamacare’s attacks on Americans’ liberty.

The anti-conscience mandate must go. Obamacare must go."

19. mbrosch says:

In my lifetime (60 years) I have seen Statesmen, Presidents and Supreme Court Justices come and go. I watched the Civil Rights movement rise and fall. I was one of the million who went to Vietnam. I have been registered and have voted as both a Democrat and a Republican. But I have never seen anything like the current President. This man is so patiently anti-American as to defy reason. He must not be re-elected.

I am asking that you, the elders of our society, encourage your children and your grand children to simply not vote for Obama in November. If you love America and if you love your family you will do this. You will plead with them to look past their own immediate desires and needs and to see through your eyes the seditious destruction of America that this administration is bent upon.

• Barry S says:

Good post! I am 74 and have seen the same downward spiral of our political infrastructure's so-called "wisdom," in the last few years, but am doubly appalled with Obama's actions that have caused that same infrastructure drop off the cliff since Obama was elected. I and my wife have done everything to inculcate in our children that freedom and liberty must not be allowed to die in the dustbin of our irresponsible government closets. I think we have been successful.

A point has been reached where we either let those with an entitlement mentality make all the important decisions in our country, or we get off our behinds and take time to constantly bombard our representatives with letters, emails and phone calls that will drive home our opinions that we are as mad as hell and won't take it anymore. If you like a huge out-of-control government, higher taxes on the horizon, energy prices that will go through the roof, the continuing heads-in-the-sand attitude toward illegal aliens, a Congress that refuses to stop selling bonds to China and stop printing money to shore up our sinking economy, etc., etc., we will become a second-rate nation. Maybe we already have. Frankly, I am fed up with voters who are so ignorant and greedy for handouts that they have allowed themselves to be bought into Obama's lies.

• KC-NM says:

I wish there was a way – ground swelling movement to put your comment in every paper, every day until the election and tweet, the comment –

20. sdfultz says:

This is another sideshow commentary, The average American has no ideal what the Affordable care act does and very much like any other insurance they may have right now, they don't know what it does until they find out it doesn't do what they thought.
      I watch my tax contribution to the local county hospital go up every year, why because so many people don't have insurance, so we the people pay for it. I'm very much like Ron Paul people want freedom so they need to pay for it, This is America and EVERYTHING cost, well except air.

• Clearhead says:

Especially HOT AIR !!

• Stirling says:

"Affordable Care" is an oxymoron, since as the president has said (in a speach to his Union friend) that the goal is a "single payer system." This would mean my friend that you eventually will be forced to pay for everyone elses healthcare, once the private insurance companies go out of buisness as a result of this law.. If you think this law actually will lower the costs you pay then you have not read the details, but you have bought into the sales pitch.. Your constitutional rights are also being compromised by this law, which you really should be concerned about.

• Jim Eaton says:

I think Obama even wanted to tax air. Ever hear of cap and trade?

21. Richard Callicott says:

Birth Control’s Constitutional Crisis
      Birth Control’s Constitutional Crisis
      Birth control has a well-established doctrine in the Catholic Church (See http://www.catholic.com/tracts/birth-control) and because the Catholic Church has not lowered its standard of biblical teaching and communal stance on the issue it now in direct conflict with the President Obama’s mandate. Regrettably, the Church’s tenet on birth control has been subject to public repudiation in numerous media outlets, but church tenet is not the issue. Additionally, Democrats dishonestly portray those in opposition to the mandate as throw backs to the dark ages and women haters. No one to my knowledge has denied a woman access to birth control should she be willing to pay for it, but it is not a constitutional right. The crux of the problem for many is the infringement of the first amendment right to the free exercise of religion, which extend beyond the church walls and into public life. Your constitutional rights as a citizen is the issue and you should be greatly concerned by this mandate.

• Clearhead says:

Then the problem has two "cruxes" The other one, and in my humble opinion the main one, is the mandate by a wannabe dictator that American men must pay for something they do not receive. That is the issue. Most of us don't care if girls want to drop their drawers and get knocked up, but we certainly will not pay them for the consequences of their indiscretions.

• Jeanne Stotler says:

This is against organized religion not Birth control or the cost of it. This aspiring atty. decided to attend a Catholic University run by Jesuits (Oldest Catholic Univ. Amer.) I am sure, as former GU student, that she knew this, you cannot miss the huge Statue in front of Healy Hall, she must have known something about our religion, if aythng about the Tents of the Church bothered her, then why not go to American U, George Washington, or even U of Md. . It is not my place to pay for your sex habits and any disease that may arise( cervical cancers are mainly caused by havin multiple sex partners) I also do not pay for the children you have either, I paid for mine along with my husband by working hard, we bought our own Ins. and paid Out of pocket for medication. FYI, the more you want the Ins. Co. and the Govt' to pay the more it's going to cost, no matter how you look at it, someone has to pay the piper.

22. sue says:

That is a great summary of what has been taken from us besides world respect. Next, Obama says he will outlaw guns. He is also going to get rid of 80% of our missiles. Then he has said he will update the Constitution. He is rather obvious, and it reminds me of what happened before the Russian Revolution. Perhaps everyone who believes in freedom of conscience will end up in jail or worse??! I had a conversation with a young college graduate who actually believes the best system is a benevolent dictatorship! I asked him to just name one in history that was benevolent.

23. Richard Callicott says:

In a civic minded society, this mandate would have set off a constitutional fire storm, but our civic sense of right and wrong have become much greyer than in times past, to the point that most citizens do not fully appreciate the gravity of the issue at hand. The fact that citizens would in ignorance sacrifice constitutional rights to appease popular opinion, or because some politician or bureaucrat decided it should be so and the media just follow along, is very alarming. Truth is, popular opinion is out of step with Church doctrine; regardless of who or what group practices birth control within and outside the various religious institutions. Regardless, the federal government has no right to dedicate who should or should not provide birth control and should pay for it; it is simply outside constitutional provisions for the federal government. Today, it is an obvious attach on religious liberties, tomorrow no doubt on free speech; in which case we may not have the opportunity to discuss such differences if we can’t settle this one.

• candace says:

I totally agree. A conservative talk show host asked his audience what was the most important issue in this election. And most answers were the typical, economy, gas costs, debt, etc. In my mind, the MOST important issue is the very core of America, the liberty of her people. Unfortunately, the gravity of the fragility of our liberty is not understood or respected by many. And this is a frightening truth.

24. Carol says:

Obama lied again yesterday, saying to the people, If you think I want gas prices to go higher and still be elected for a second term. I would have to be crazy. Yet he did say it and all you have to do is bring up
      Keystone pipe ling. There is something seriously wrong with this man and he needs an EEG! and then must give the definition of TRUTH!

25. Roger Crassi says:

It has taken Liberal Politicians of the Republican and Democrat Parties 60+ years (beginning with FDR) to bring us to where we are today. They knew it would not happen overnight, and maybe not in the lifetimes of many of them. Conservatives, meanwhile, thought that every skirmish equaled total victory. The Conservative Party in Western New York have not ran a "to-the-bone-conservative" for at least the last 30 years. They have accepted anyone just to maintain their Party Line at the ballot box. This battle we are facing is a spiritual one. America has turned her back on Almighty God (YEHWEH) – the One who enabled our forefathers to establish this country. It is time for America to return to the LORD; confessing our national sins in a spirit of broken humility. HE then has promised to "forgive us our sins and to heal our land." 2 Chronicles 7:13-15

26. Tom Orzo says:

Thank you for this article. It turns out (former) Speaker Pelosi had it exactly right. In response to a question about the contents of the Obamacare proposed legislation, she unwittingly let the cat out of the bag: "We'll have to pass it to find out what's in it". She was never called out by the mainstream media for this outrageous statement. She got a pass for this ignorant arrogance. For the Left, Obamacare is the gift that keeps on giving!

27. Maine Coon Lover says:

Obama for the rest of his Presidency and for the next 4 years if the American people are stupid enough to re-elect him has a mission to dismantle the Constitution Amendment by Amendment and guess which one is next?? HE MUST BE DEFEATED in any way possible. Our nominee whoever it is better have a backbone like steel because he's going to need it! We need to fight,physically if need be or we can kiss all that we know and love because he has another goal….to be Dictator! Do we really want that? Lets hope something unforeseen happens to Soros as well but he'll probably live to be 110 as he's made a deal with the Devil!

28. Richard Quinn says:

Not only must the administration's crude attempt to curtail religious freedom and Obamacare go but Obama himself must go, the sooner the better.

• Jeanne Stotler says:

And hopefully a certain Sheiff in Ariz. and his Cold case squad, will have enough info as t take him and Michelle from 1600 Penn. AVe to Leavenworth.

29. W Kerrigan says:

November is a critical time in the history of the United States. Will we make a full left turn to socalism or try to reverse the trend and correct back to the right and constitutional government and individual responsibility? If you have a job, pay taxes, and want the government to tell you what you must feed your children, what kind of car you must drive, determine if you will receive life sustaning medical care, where you must work after you graduate from college after receiving government assistance, and all the other rules and regulations that will be put in your way over the next four years, then vote for Obama and the Socialist movement to a government controled utopia. You won't have to make another decision for the rest of your life. Your current standard of living may decline, but then we must all share in the decline of our personal freedom (unless you're one of the selected elite that pays homage to the leader). It's your choice.
      Fortunately, I'm in my senior years and don't have too many left to watch the swift decline of our once proud nation.

30. Therese says:

ALL of our RIGHTS are being attacked, even our intelligence in important matters…Please help to stop the KONY2012 video..It is obvious propoganda at a crucial time in the primaries and it is directed to gain support for Obama's reelection to gain support also of African, Blacks, and Women's votes..This situation has been going on for years, and should be ended, but to bring this much attention in a 2012 election year that boasts Obama signing legislation to help the children in Africa and the capture of KONY, assumed to be the number 1 outlaw as noted on the 'list' provided in the video..Those who wish to register with Invisible Children and the TRI???? to send letters to Congress to help these children are asked to purchase a bracelet with an ID number on it so they can recognize the person sending the letter. Also the Posters being set next to a Mitt Romney for President placcard on lawns suggests an Obama campaign to keep the 'race card' in people's minds. The placcards for KONY2012 are also colored in RED and BLACK. Were these not Communist colors years back and still today????Wake up America it is happening and being posted on FB for millions to see and respond to right now…See it for its true colors…If this was going on for the last few years, why have we not heard or seen anything about it until this election season???? Placcards are also shown next to Newt Gingrich placcards on yards…Even some Hollywood Stars have made comments on it on Facebook.. Ie. Reba McEntire on FB…..What say you????

31. boberic says:

It goes even deeper than the first ammendment issue . The presdent simply does not have the constitutional authority to issue a mandate. If obama gats away with this, we will have lost a good portion of our feedom. Think about it for a minute, this gived the prersident virtual dictatorial power to issue any mandate forcing everyone to do anything he wants.

• sue says:

There have been questions about his eligibility to even be President from the beginning. He has constantly supported our enemies, insulted our friends, ignored the rules of the Constitution, reduced our security, on and on, and yet he gets away with it. That is what galls me. He appears to be untouchable which means that there is more corruption in government and other places than we realize-lots more. He is supported by corrupt and powerful people with an evil agenda. We also need a conservative Senate as well as a good President and no more czars- even that word is obvious.

• Jeanne Stotler says:

The answer is George Soros" it galls me that they seem to think they can just change the rulles as they go. Sheriff Joe In Ariz. has a group of Ex- CIA's and other ret. police that have decided that they have uncoveed enough info as to proceed in gathering more as for Fraud (used Foriegn student status, and elected to POTUS) he has questionable Sel Ser. registration, Sol. Sec. card and passport and hidden school records. Might be the first to go staight to Leavenworth from the White House, sure makes Nixon look like an amatuer. He bears close watching. Soros needs his citizenship nullified and to be deported.

32. Ethan Jefferson says:

It is not enough to say that what this administration, lead by Barrack Obama/Barry Sotero, has done to weaken this nation financially, loss of jobs by the millions, and constant assaults on our freedoms, religious and otherwise. But when you look at how this was, and is being done, it is down right scary. This guy, and his cronies are bypassing the Constitution, and Congress, to attempt to quickly dismantle our American way of life. DON'T LET THEM DO IT. IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND OR IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THEY WILL END OUR RIGHT TO WORK WHERE WE CHOOSE, HANDLE OUR MONEY AS WE SO CHOOSE, DEFEND OUR HOMES AND FAMILIES AGAINST ALL THREATS, WEAKEN OUR MILITARY, SPEAK OUR MINDS OPENLY AND FREELY, CHOOSE THE BEST HEALTH CARE WE CAN, AND TO LIVE OUT OUR LIVES IN A MANNER CHOSEN BY US AND OUR FAMILIES, THEN YOU ARE MISSING A VERY LARGE PART OF THIS NATIONAL DISCUSSION! STAY INFORMED AND VOTE FOR FREEDOM. THE REPUBS ARE JUST AS MUCH TO BLAME AS THE DEMS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. EJ

33. Latini says:

If you truly want to see these issues change you need to vote for Ron Paul. He's the answer to saving our great nation. He is a true small government fiscal conservative. He has solutions to 99% of the issues that you mention above. Some of the things mentioned can no longer be changed.

• GUEST says:

Unfortunately he can be a "spoiler" and make Obama victorious. You have to look at the big picture. We need to do ANYTHING WE CAN TO GET THIS DICTATOR OUT OF OFFICE EVEN IF IT MEANS VOTING FOR SOMEONE YOU DON'T LIKE.

34. Dr. Pete Kleff says:

It is correct that it is not solely the Roman Catholic Bishops who have openly opposed the Obama offense against religious freedom. It is encumbent upon those in agreement to note that the Christian Orthodox Bishops have taken an identical stand. There are a light of Orthodox Christian denominations: Russian, Greek, Serbian, Antiochian, etc. They should be given credit from opposing this encroachment on religious liberty.

35. Lloyd Scallan says:

Although the author addresses the problems we face today as for the most part is Obama ideology, he still does not go far enough to place the attempted destruction of our way of life squarely on Obama and his lackeys in Democrat Party as well as the Republicans that are either in line with Obama or are totally incompetent.

36. Carol,AZ says:

Your article re. on our 1st amend. rights violation for socialized medicine , diverted facts from day one.
      You described these men and women responsible to report fact," elite."
      These men and women are corrupted and cowardly.
      From the inception of O' Care, news media with full duplicity, withheld all INFO about this monster plan.
      The few reporters that separated from the status que were silenced.
      Left out of the conversation are other plans proposed to improve upon our system , offering per ex., small Buss affordable INS. plans and affordable INS. for single people, family households, etc. in support of the best health care sys. in the world.
      We've been at risk on so many levels for three half years trashing Constitutional Rights. What will it take to expose the elephant in the room. ? .

37. Conrad vonB says:

The Marxist/Communist/Progressives told us what they would do and how they would do it and now they have done it. Get rid of them in the Govt., the military and schools and we can have our country back.

38. Conrad vonB says:

39. Bill Hart says:

Think of the individual mandate and the anti-conscience mandate as canaries in the coal mine. We are getting a glimpse of a perfect redistribution of wealth vehicle. Put aside for the moment that Obamacare is the gateway drug to single payer when all bets are off as to how much people of "Means" can be forced to pay for care under the only game in town. Already the law has "free" preventive care, including preventing babies, with no deductibles or copays, removal of caps, transportability, and the requirement to insure the lame and the dying at the same rates the rest of us pay. And if you are 25 and healthy, instead of buying a responsible, inexpensive catastrophic coverage you will be mandated to buy a Cadillac Plan, to provide some of the funding for the afore-mentioned mandates. If not bored yet see additional comment.

40. Bill Hart says:

Of course, the rest of us will be paying our fair share of whatever else needs to be provided for "free." Hey, if people on Food Stamps need free phones to look for work, surely every healthcare policy will be required to provide a free phone for every member of the family in case of an emergency. We need to fix the many flaws in our current healthcare programs… let's pray the Supreme Court puts Obamacare in time out so we can do so with our eyes wide open.

41. William D. Wise says:

By now everyone has heard of "WikiLeaks". I would like to see the impeachment of our president and the prosecution of everyone involved. They have broken our laws and trust . They need to go to jail.

42. KC-NM says:

Yes we need to get Obama out of office. But the GOP does not have a strong candidate and just because some have lots of money do not make these candidates any better than Obama. We are in trouble!

43. Curt Krehbiel says:

Neither communists not muslims believe in Christ.

44. Curt Krehbiel says:

Neither communists nor muslims believe in Christ.

45. Fred M says:

I'm 67-years-old and I love my country. I served In the navy to protect it. At any age I will resist ,fight to defeat those that would harm, what many gave their lives to protect . A country like no other in history, ware we the people are given rights over the government and protect them from it.
      Let no men or elected office try other wise . Only to bring down the people raft upon them .

46. Bob says:

This is a serious issue indeed and one we must defend against. There is another that is weeks away where our Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton is entering into an agreement with the U.N. that gives control of our only defense, our weapons to the U.N.!! That must not be allowed to happen or this United States of America will cease to exist as we know it!!!

47. Donald DaCosta says:

Obama and all his Alinskyite Csars must go as must Obamacare for starters.

48. lynn says:

Heritage commented "America is at risk". Are you kidding me? Our beloved God given freedoms are being assualted even as I type this. Our once great country & citizens are being enslaved more each passing day. America is in the deepest peril of its existence due to the radicals at the helm.

I pray daily that Amighty God will intervene & not allow evildoers to destroy His followers. I agree with Roger that we NEED God back in our lives & country so He will heal our land.

Very few pay attention to history. All the dynamic empires of the earth disappeared when they chose the path of moral decay & abandoned Jehovah God!

49. toledofan says:

It seems to me, that soon, there will need to be a march on Washington with people carrying their pitch forks and shovels demanding that the government stop the nonsense or be thrown in jail. For whatever the reason, we have become pretty soft and uningaged; everyone should be up in arms over this Obama care mandate and it should be a non issue but it can't be because it's one of the pillars the Obamacare law is based upon. The government has to control everything, peoples freedom has to be taken away. No mre free choices to make, just follow the rules. Do as I say not as I do.

50. Ron W. Smith says:

Obamacare is, we all know, not the answer. It came about because what could have been the solution to the biggest problems in the American health care system, either Single Payer or Public Option–was torpedoed as Socialist by the health care industry and its allies in the federal government. Those problems remain: cost of insurance coverage twice what any other industrialized nation experiences, annual inflation rate in those costs usually double digit, close to 50 million Americans uninsured, sometimes whimsical exclusions from coverage at the discretion of private insurers, and no portability of coverage in the event of job loss or change. With all those disadvantages, Americans are now paying private insurers in the area of $7,000 per person for coverage that in other countries costs half that much and, studies show, for results that equal the results of health care in the U.S.

Fighting against a clearly flawed Obamacare as hard as some on the political Right are AFTER already having brought down the possibility of Single Payer and Public Option is one thing, solving the now massive problems involved in health care costs and delivery in the U.S.quite another. I've looked into "plans" those on the Right have proposed, as have others attempting to ferret out their potential REALLY to solve the health care crisis in this country, and I see nothing at all to be optimistic about. Ever since the Clintons' attempt to reform health care was roundly defeated by Right-wing interests, the problems in our health care system have only grown. That system, completely in the private sector except for Medicare all the while, needs, in the words of Joseph Califano, Jr., spoken over 15 years ago, "radical reform." The speed at which our elected representatives have brought it to us has been blinding, no?

• DMJ says:

Ron, it is not the Federal Government's job, duty nor right to do anything about health care or health insurance (they are two different things). Nowhere in the Constitution does it give the Fed. Govt. the right to meddle in these areas. It is up to the individual States, counties and individuals to take care of health care and health insurance. It would be best for individuals to take responsibility for their own care. Young people do not need Cadillac insurance; they only need catastrophic insurance. Older people, if they want, might want to have Cadillac insurance, if they want it. If they choose not to have it, that is their business.

The one thing that can bring down the cost of health care is to get insurance companies out of most of it. We do not need health insurance to pay for doctor visits and routine tests. If people paid for that out of their own pockets, the cost would immediately go down. It costs money for the doctors and hospitals to bill insurance companies and wait to get paid for months. Most doctors charge less for cash payments as opposed to health insurance payments.

The next thing that can bring down the costs of health care is to remove the mandate that hospitals treat everyone, regardless of ability to pay. Hospitals aren't charities, they are businesses; and their personnel are not volunteers, they are working to support themselves and their families. Forcing hospitals to treat people who cannot pay just raises the cost for everyone else because the hospitals must pass the cost along to those that can pay. That is not fair nor right. It used to be people would work out a payment plan with the hospitals if they couldn't pay right away. Now, many of those people expect others to pay for them.
        It all boils down to personal responsibility.

51. Jim Smith says:

The rights enshrined in the U.S. Constitution are individual, not institutional.
      While it shrills on about government mandating healthcare decisions upon it's institutions,
      what the Church is actually trying to protect is it's own ability to force all of their employees
      to follow it's rules whether they are Catholic or not. Protecting the rights of a minority,
      the non-Catholic employees and their families, is exactly what the government is supposed to do.
      No believer is forced to violate his or her conscience, but the non-believer has the opportunity
      to choose. I wonder if this issue would have the political traction that it has gained if the specifics
      involved a mandate requiring Jehovah's Witnesses institutions to provide coverage for blood transfusions?

• DMJ says:

So what is preventing the non-Catholics to work at Catholic institutions? What is forcing the non-Catholics to take the health insurance offered by their Catholic employers? What is forcing the non-Catholics not to buy abortifacients, have abortions or take birth control pills? These people can choose other health insurance, buy the pills (which are very inexpensive, BTW) and pay for their own abortions. The Catholic employer is not stopping anyone from doing so – they just don't want to have to pay for it.

And just FYI, the Constitution does not restrain businesses or private institutions; it restrains the Federal Government. Last I checked, the Catholic Church and Catholic institutions are not the Federal Government.

52. Bobbie says:

the reason no one gives Ron Paul the time of day is because they know he is a man of his word and his record proves it. He's a threat and all other candidates and those voting for them have a special interest. People have got to see Ron Paul for all he will do to change this country back for which she stood.

Once immigrants (who haven't yet) and anyone else who has government's attention benefiting government growth, will see the empowerment of freedom and the strength of natures human dignity, they'll come around. And the people including our youth, who were wrongfully influenced by paid sources such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the like who disrespect the fact that freedom initiates self motivation for people to use their own eyes to see and their own minds to come to their own conclusions on their own time with respect to people as individuals and for themselves without anyones' paid personal perception to generalize a people for resentment and retaliation purposes only, will eventually see these disrespects to humanity for who they are and come to their own genuine conclusions…

Jesse, Al, Van and the many alike in this very country, have destroyed many consciences but with the help of the good will of people in general, these lost consciences come to gain truth.

53. Bernard P. Giroux says:

The question on everyone's mind should be: "How in God's name, did Barack Obama ever get vetted to run for president of the United States?" Answer this question.

54. Ron W. Smith says:

55. JFB says:

It is pretty clear now on what has to be done.

I am really geting sick and tire of posters on here just vetting there frustration and just moving on.

Here is what will work.
      1. Cancel all MSM newspapers, Mags ect.
      2. Boycott all advertisers on ABC, NBC, CBS CNN MSNBC
      3. Quit buying any "stuff" you do not need until 2013.

When the next 2 GDP numbers come back negative, the stock market drops 50% and the unemployment rate eaches 15% by Obamas disingenuous math [25% in real terms], this fool will be thrown out along with any progressive that comes to his defense.

It's that time people. We need revolution action now without the guns. Trust me, his next effort in 2013 will be to find out, "where are the guns". Then it will be over. Unless the National Guard drops their rifles and joint the people for the final stage of the take over Washington.

The revolution is a coming folks. Start buying the rice. Get your Winchester and ammo and prepare.

• KC-NM says:

I agree – the gound swelling movement of real Americans is needed now. Letters to the editors, posters everywhere, and a few million people march on DC would help. There are too many dumb folks who do not care – they are part of the problem since they will vote for the democrats. The word needs to get out. Biggest issue for now is the lousy GOP candidates!

56. Larry says:

Has not enough occurred for some brave Congressman or Senator to take up the arms of Impeachment? Why should the citizens of the United States risk any more while waiting for the November election? We can all stop complaining then because if Obama and his regime is re-elected, there won't be any more elections!

57. Janice says:

Tell all your friends and neighbors to vote out Obama. If the Hollywood crowd supports Obama, then do not support THEM by boycotting all those individuals who support Obama.

58. chyatt says:

Purge. That is, "Purge" Washington D.C. of both Republicans and Democrats who have sold us down the drain. The two faces in a mirror are one in the same; a reflection of each other. Our elected officials have wasted way too much of our money and violated the trust of the American people by preying on the stupidity of many. When the people with clip boards visit your home this year, tell them what you think. Make it clear that you are tired of hope and change and under no circumstances will you fall for their propaganda.

59. If all Catholics and people who still believe in the first amendment would vote for whomever opposes Obama in the november election , he and his liberal minions would not have a chance at being reelected and hopefully a republican president, house, and senate could get to the real business of turning this country around.

60. Max Ludeke says:

Why are Muslims exempt from Obama care but Catholics and other religious must provide services against their beliefs? Sdd link below:

61. Myron J. Poltroonian says:

When this speech becomes illegal, I'll become a criminal: "I may become an enemy of the state, but never of the people".

62. TAD says:

Obama must be voted or it will be too late to save the country. Today I found out that my Doctor is quitting practice because of Obamacare. He just does not want to practice medicine any more. I live in a rural area where is not so easy to find a good MD unless you want to travel far. If you think this is not coming to the cities, think again. So the tyranny is already underway. I am a Catholic and his attack on the Church is but one example of his dictatorial administration.The list is getting longer.

63. Blair Franconia, NH says:

We can't wait for Obama to be turned out of office.

64. candace says:

The most important sentence was omitted. The final sentence. Obama must go.

65. Bob R says:

I fear for the future of this nation. We are on a path to dictatorship and unless the people win back this nation in November, we face civil disorder.

66. Daezy says:

What a great piece, Mike! How I love reading your works of art each morning. Keep up the great work — you are truly gifted and inspiring. God bless…..

67. Joan, Dallas, Texas says:

While in line at the grocery I spotted a Time magazine on George Washington and decided to buy it to reeducate myself. What a mistake! On page 8, or page 2 of the text in the Introduction, the writer, Joseph J. Ellis, blasts Republicans saying "Washington…would have found the conservative agenda of the modern Republican party and its Tea Party allies as a repudiation of all he stood for." Wow. This is the nonsense those with commen sense are up against. The worst part is, most people I know feel exactly like this writer. No one seems to apply the knowledge we have of history + experience to the present world. What we are being taught is a twisted version of of the facts, translated in leftism. Our culture and country are evaporating before our very eyes and we're letting it. Shame on us for not grouping "en Masse" and demanding Obama step down.

68. Douglas Stafford says:

We must do everything possible to get these Progressives out of office. The November election is the most critical of our lifetime. Those of us who value individual liberty cannot afford to be complacent.

69. James Hamlin says:

In the short amount of time I have been on this earth, I have been witness to the actions of those we place in government elected positions. Some have risen to the calling of their office.. and some have failed miserably. I have always studied and cast a supportive vote for those (be they Republican, Democrat or Independent) that proposed to us, the people, that they had our country in their best interest. Some have managed their offices with dignity and pride, while others were/are along for the ride and the opportunity to do themselves better. And as a result, we have seen the bad outdo the good. We have been blindsided. We must not re-elect this President !

As a member of the United States Military, I have sworn Duty and Honor to this great country. "I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense." The Military Oath of Enlistment is forever binding.

I have never been witness to so much undermining of our Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Are we to stand by and watch as our God given Rights are stripped from us? What is to become of this country that we love so much . What of our children's and their children's rights? We must not re-elect this President !

Those who undermine our Constitution and our Bills of Rights, should not be re-elected or posted to any office of the government.
      Those who have committed grievous sins to our Constitution and Bill of Rights should have to face consequences for their actions!

We the People must stand !. What is next? Our right to vote? We must not re-elect this President !

If you Love this Country you must go to the polls and vote! We do this for our children, their children and for the future of this great country. We must not re-elect this President. God Bless America.

United States Air Force, S/Sgt 1964-1970
      SheepDog, 1970 – Present

70. Pseudo Nym says:

One thing. I don't see any backlash at all from catholics. Why? Because the catholics objecting to the new requirement are all priests – and thus, not allowed to have sex. Thus, they wouldn't exactly have a firsthand experience about it.

71. Joseph McKennan says:

When I read all the comments on this article it somehow made me think Obamacare was like the Magna Carta- another important historical document. There is one major diference….. after it becomes part of our life and we can do nothing to remove it, the people who drafted it will appear on BHO TV with a leering,malevolent grin and say ………SUCKER.