• Remembering Andrew Breitbart

It was with great sadness that I heard this morning Andrew Breitbart passed away from natural causes at the young age of 43. Our first thoughts turn to his family: his wife Susie and his four children. He loved them with the same passion he had for his crusades on behalf of freedom. The prayers of the Heritage family are with them.

This is a loss for the entire country. The cause of truth and freedom will be without one of its biggest champions.

Andrew was fearless. He took on the entrenched powers of liberalism in this country, whether they were in the media, academia, unions or elsewhere, with a zest that was infectious. He had the unmistakable mark of a leader, showing others where they needed to do battle through the force of his own example.

Andrew was also an intellectual, though, and that is indeed a very rare combination. In his last book, properly titled “Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World,” he shined a needed light on the origins of the leftist threat to our freedoms. One such example was the FrankfurtSchool, a mid-20th century invasion of European Marxist academics who realized that taking over our universities would be the first step in seizing our brightest minds. I remember him sitting with me in my office while he was conducting this research and telling me with his trademark fascination about all he was finding out.

But Andrew was eminently a doer, not an armchair intellectual. He will be perhaps best remembered for taking on liberals in the mainstream media, not just by exposing their corrupt biases while claiming impartiality, but by giving them competition through his Big Journalism, Big Government and Big Hollywood websites.

Click here to view this post in Spanish at Libertad.org.

Posted in Featured, Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

18 Responses to Remembering Andrew Breitbart

1. Stirling says:

Thank you Mr. Breitbart for all that you have done, you will be missed. This country will continue to fight for your cause. May God be with you and your family in this difficult time.

2. lesstressrx says:

What sadness it is for America. God bless all the good work you did. Your Spirit will move on with love.
      Truth is one of the best gifts anyone can give in life. Sympathy to your family.

3. @SuzieMarcy says:

Thank you Andrew for speaking the truth, especially when no one wanted to hear. We are praying for your family during this time. RIP

4. Bobbie says:

Mr. Breitbart used his time and energy to expose the deceitful, fraudulent government forcing the good of people to pay for them. If anyone has a negative opinion regarding this tremendous man, they are the ones weak, confused and feeble minded. Mr. Breitbart is the truest of men. Our prayers and thoughts and thanks to his wife and children. His inspiration will live on and his strength is our gain! He has been summoned to the highest calling, it's up to us to carry on his work to expose the evil and those who contain it…

I'm so sorry for his loss but comforted by heavens gain! ! God Bless his wife and children!

5. Ken McIntyre KenMac55 says:

Andrew Breitbart, a defender of truth, believed we should educate ourselves and fight for it. It's some small solace to know that the work of his too-short life will be required reading and viewing as long as liberty is alight in America. May God comfort his family and other loved ones.

6. Lil CZ says:

You were and always will remain an inspiration for all of us who want America back again.You gave us hope. Thank you… RIP

7. W. R. Brownfield says:

Thank you Ed for a very warm and truthful eulogy of Andrew's life and passing. He was a great conservative and a Patriot. Our prayers are with his wife and children.
      Bill Brownfield

8. Juco says:

I regret this and am so glad an autopsy is being done. It is just suspicious to me and after seeing some of the evil posting of liberals on other sites, I will just be more at peace when I do find out it was natural causes.
      He had made a lot of liberal enemies by exposing the truths.

9. Bosco says:

I am deeply saddened to read the sudden death of Mr. Andrew Breitbart at a young age. I did not meet him in person. But I heard him speak in many places. He loved this great country. He was frustrated with many others what was being done to this country. He was willing to do some thing about it. He was very effective. I will pray for him and entrust his soul to the Almighty God. May he rest in peace with God. My prayerful condolences to his beloved family.

10. Navy Man says:

Not all warriors fight in a far away land. RIP

11. "We all mourn Andrew today, but we can’t allow our sorrow to consume us. The challenge for us, for all conservatives, is to react to today’s sad event by following his example, by picking up the sword that lies on the ground before us." Thanks Ed, that was my first thought when the shock wore off. A whole bunch of us need to raise our game

12. TomLeftCoast says:

Rest in peace, Andrew. And thanks so much for "Righteous Indignation".
      I plan to now reread it with you forever in my thoughts.

13. J. Hensley says:

Noooooooooooo. Please God, not Andrew Breitbart. Words fail as I weep for his family, for his friends, colleagues and co-workers, but mostly for his family and for our country. I've been waiting all day to wake up and find out it was just a bad dream.

14. m. staggers says:

Andrew Breitbart was truly courageous and contagious–his energy and passion could ignite a crowd. He was fearless in dealing with the "Democratic media complex" and inspired us with his head first, dead on engaging them, bringing the fight to them, not cowering in shadows. He will be greatly missed. May we all grab his mantle and leap into the fray for Freedom.

15. NotmrED says:

It doesn't take a lot of courage to make up decide to trash the powerless, on some whim dreamed up in a drug-addled brain. Why do so many conservatives with substance abuse problems think they have some special calling to lead the lemmings? Good riddance.

16. Ed Kamp says:

Cheetah, the chimp from the 1930's Tarzan movies passed away today. Goodbye Cheetah, we will miss your courage, your passion, your willingness to speak your mind, regardless of the consequences. Just like Andrew did!

17. Amy says:

One of my best memories of 2011 was hearing Andrew speak about his journey to conservatism during his book talk at Heritage. Although I had heard him on TV and radio, his remarks in person were unique and riveting. He urged all to be activists in their own way. At the end of the talk, I had a copy of his book and sought his autograph. When I presented it, thanking him so much for his work on ACORN in particular, I lowered my voice and said I'd stepped out from my job at the Pentagon that day. He looked up, smiled broadly, slapped his hand on the table and exclaimed, "God, I LOVE that!" This happy warrior influenced many.

18. Really miss Andrew!