• Washington Takes Over School Lunches and Curriculum

It used to be that children had to worry about the school bully stealing their lunch money. Now they also have to worry about the federal government taking their lunches away.

A recent story about a North Carolina preschooler’s lunch being confiscated because it failed to meet federal requirements has made headlines. The Carolina Journal News explains:

A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because the school told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious.

The girl’s turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the interpretation of the person who was inspecting all lunch boxes in the More at Four classroom that day.

The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs—including in-home day care centers—to meet USDA guidelines…even if the lunches are brought from home.

The little girl didn’t like the lunch the school provided, so she ate three chicken nuggets and threw away the rest. To add insult to injury, the school sent her mom the bill.

And the federal government isn’t just picking on preschoolers. The Obama Administration’s 2010 Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act mandates the types of food and the proportions K-12 school cafeterias must serve (and sending the states a hefty bill for the cost of implementing the new requirements). Just like a one-size-fits-all government lunch didn’t fit the preschooler’s tastes, child nutritionists have testified that Washington’s food proportion requirements are likely to lead to increased waste in school cafeterias.

And lunch isn’t the only thing the federal government is trying to get its hands on in schools these days. The Obama Administration is targeting school curriculum and assessments with a push for national education standards. This top-down, one-size-fits-all approach to education is not only likely to fail to meet the unique needs of students but also projected to cost states billions to implement. Additionally, federal laws prevent Washington from entangling itself in matters of school curriculum.

As Representative Duncan Hunter (R–CA) said about the federal cafeteria food policy:

The resulting law has put the Department of Agriculture in the business of determining the amount of calories, fat, and sodium students should consume in a given school day.… The law places greater federal control over wellness policies best left in the hands of state and local leaders.

Likewise, decisions about what children are taught in the classroom should be left to local leaders. Just as students have unique nutritional needs, they also have unique education needs that are best met by those closest to the child rather than Washington bureaucrats.

Posted in Education, Featured [slideshow_deploy]

21 Responses to Washington Takes Over School Lunches and Curriculum

1. lostresearchers says:

Obviously the school system is attempting to stop sodas being brought in from outside the school, however the lunch sounded healthier than 98% of the meals I eat at home. They're not going to change anything by tampering with one meal a day served at school.

• Mike says:

you must pay attention,, its not one meal ,, they also offer breakfast and dinner at some public schools. still not the point,, since when does the government know whats better for you or your child? NEVER…
        they will come for your liberty at some point,, when you right it off as just a one meal a day event you give up your liberties a little at a time.

2. Kenny says:

I thought we drew strength from diversity. How can teaching all children the same curriculum and feeding them all the same food be a good thing?

3. Stirling says:

This is just annother example of how the government wants to replace parrents.. by creating dependency. More arogance from a government that thinks it's citizens are "stupid" and can't make wise decisions on their own.

4. Marcy says:

The lunch from home seems a bit healthier than processed breaded chicken parts, I mean nuggets.

5. Heather says:

The saddest thing about the entire school lunch episode in N.C. is the apathetic response from most Americans to the very idea that the government now deems itself to have a right to "inspect" lunches.

6. stlgretchen says:

Perhaps substituting foods at lunch is the least of the worries these parents should have about this school. The principal, in his memo clarifying the food policy, is unable to craft a grammatically correct letter. I would worry about the caliber of teaching and administration in West Hoke Elementary School.

7. J Gonzalez says:

Get the {H} out of the people's LIFE plain and simple..~~

8. Dee says:

WHY DOES THE GOVERNOR OF THE STATES PUT UP WITH THIS FOR THEY CAN STOP OBAMA FOR HE ISNT ALLOWED TO TELL STATES HOW TO RUN THEIR STATE ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITION…..MAYBE THOSE GOVERNORS NEED TO RE-READ IT…………………………

9. dancingmom says:

Old as I am, I think preschool is few hours a few days a week, and the children eat MOM'S lunch AT HOME. Why are preschoolers at school for lunch in the first place?

How soon will they come to the hospital to take our children from the maternity ward? How much longer will religious, other private schools, and home schools be allowed to operate at their own discretion?

10. TimAZ says:

I am gravely concerned about the faculty within our public schools. Our public schools have definitely had a performance issue for many years now. I would suggest that the nutritional needs of the students may be cover for the real problem. I would suggest that it is more likely that the nutritional needs of the faculty are sorely lacking and must be controlled by the federal government through inspections and fining for failure to conform to federal diet mandates. Not just on school grounds but in their homes as well. This is not only an issue of providing quality education, but it is also a health issue as well. How much could tax payers save in healthcare costs by ensuring that our public employees are as healthy as they can be? Given that we pay the majority of their health insurance costs, shouldn't we demand that our tax dollars are spent with the best maximum return on our investments? How can our public employees perform at their peak while in our service if we do not insure that are eating properly. Who could be against a healthy public servant?
      Had enough yet?

11. According to an article I read elsewhere, too, this was not an isolated incident in this school system as this particular article seems to suggest. The other parent allowed her name to be revealed and said that her child had to "place the lunch on the floor" and eat something else which says to me that this is not only a habit, but calls the kids out in public for something their parents are doing FOR them. I'd own that school if it happened to my child….thankfully mine area adults now. AND we all plan to homeschool grandchildren.

• Todd says:

Home school until the government deems that that practice is not in the best interest of your children and bans homeschooling.

12. Nottllin1 says:

Here is my homage to Martin Niemoller…written last week

When the government told us there would be a mandate to buy health insurance, I didn’t care because I mine health insurance is employer assisted.

When the government told us that pregnancy was a disease that required free preventive care, I didn’t care because I cannot become pregnant.

When the government told me health plans had to include free preventive care including contraceptives, I didn’t care because I don’t use them.

13. NOTTELLIN1 says:

When the government told us that our churches had to pay for contraceptives, then the insurance companies had to provide for free, I started to care because we all know that nothing an insurance company does is ‘free’.

When the government told us we needed to eat healthy food, I didn’t care until they started replacing the lunches I had packed for my child and fining me for what I chose for my child to eat.

When the government closed down my church because it didn’t like my religion, took my gun so that I could not defend myself, and threw me in jail for speaking out against them.

I wished I’d cared when the government mandated that we had to buy health insurance.

14. TimAZ says:

15. O2BMe says:

Maybe the Obama's should look not at the children's diet but at the lack of excercise. It isn't safe for parents to let their children out alone to play today. Between pedifiles and drive by shootings children end up staying inside playing video games and watching TV. If mom can get finished with housework, laundry and cooking she may be able to find time to take them to the park or sit outside and watch over them. Once upon a time it was safe to let your children walk to and from school or go over to play with the neighborhood kids..

16. allen says:

It is in Texas as we take care of these slime balls, Hit'em again Sparky.

17. Jeanne Stotler says:

The level of teaching has gone down, I have a lot of friends that are teachers and they cannot teach what the kids need to learn.. Learning to read needs to be coupled with learning how to pronounce, called Phonics, spelling is still pretty much up there BUT HIstory and Geography are lacking. Let's do away with "Black History" an Spanish History" Months and have AMERICAN history, then we show how the hispanic's and blacks played a part in forming this country. Ask a fourth grader where England is or Iran, on a globe, and they don't know They also need to learn How to write, we called it penmanship and used the "Palmer Method" kids should be using longhand by 3rd grade. Let's put education back in the states, l Mom's feed their kids and close down Fed. gov't offices involved with this autrocity.

18. Dinah L. says:

I know I am repeating some comments, but I just have to say: The issue has nothing to do with food or even school curriculum. The issue is the government taking over in areas where they do not belong. When this is discussed it should not be a discussion of calories or vitamins. It should just be, "The federal government does not belong here." Doesn't it give you a little tickle that it is the Department of AGRICULTURE that is making these decisions? Soon it will be the Commerce Department! Anyone but those who should have the ability to make the choices.

19. I cannot say what I want to say about this admin. that is full of BS. I can only pray that their time will be up when the REPUBLICAN TIDE COMES IN AND THEY CEASE TO BE!