• Meet the Staff of Occupy Wall Street's Downtown Manhattan Offices

CNN had an interesting look last week at the “Occupy Wall Street” offices in downtown Manhattan. The fact that they have offices seemed noteworthy in itself, given that Occupiers frequently bill their protests as leaderless and completely decentralized.

We decided to look into some of the names that popped up among the group’s staff there. Two of the staffers in particular offer a glimpse into the backgrounds and motives of the people running the supposedly leaderless protests.

Han Shan, a former program director for a group called the Ruckus Society, was identified by CNN as “a member of Occupy Wall Street’s press relations and direct-action working groups.” The Ruckus Society has reportedly been handing out literature to OWS protesters, including items titled “Anonymous Riot Guide,” and “Blockading for Beginners.”

Ruckus’s executive director has advocated “us[ing] vandalism strategically.” Shan, through Ruckus, was very involved in the mass rioting that took place outside of the 1999 World Trade Organization summit in Seattle, which reportedly cost local businesses about $20 million in damages and lost sales.

Haywood Carey is identified in the CNN piece as an OWS “activist.” He appears to be the same William Haywood Carey that starred in a documentary about the protests titled #whilewewatch. A Willie Carry was also among OWS staff alerted to CNN’s upcoming presence at the offices.

Carey was a paid employee of the Change to Win labor federation from 2008 to 2009. In that role, by his own account, he worked “with labor unions to partner with other like minded groups to help build an effective and sustainable progressive infrastructure in North Carolina.”

A number of other employees were alerted to CNN’s upcoming presence at the protesters’ offices, Heritage has learned. Some of those names stuck out as well.

While he doesn’t appear to have Shan’s lengthy resume as an agitator, Shazz Baric certainly talks the talk. Baric, who says his legal name is David McNerney, is the author of the book The Complete American’s Guide to REVOLUTION. The book encourages readers to “dismantle the American Empire,” which he dubs the “most efficient killing machine in the history of ‘civilization.’”

Baric’s book also sings the praises of communist leader Che Guevara, whom the author quotes as saying, “the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love.” Never mind that Guevara, who explained that his “nostrils dilate while savoring the acrid odor of gunpowder and blood,” is believed to have ordered the execution of several thousand Cubans – and even executed a dozen or so himself.

Less radical if far more active in mainstream political channels is Beth Bogart, who reportedly handles press relations for OWS. Bogart’s bio lists her as the former co-owner of Fenton Communications, a liberal PR shop with offices in Washington, New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Fenton’s client list is a who’s who of liberal groups, including MoveOn.org, Healthcare for America Now, and the Center for Reproductive Rights.

The fact that OWS protesters have established something of a headquarters separate from the actual protest sites suggests, their protestations notwithstanding, that there is some hierarchy within the group. These names should give folks a taste of who is pulling the strings.

Jay Lucas contributed to this report.

Posted in Featured, Ongoing Priorities, Scribe [slideshow_deploy]

16 Responses to Meet the Staff of Occupy Wall Street's Downtown Manhattan Offices

1. This explains a lot. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

2. Sandy Caruso says:

Same nutjobs different location. If they want communism, I say lets load them up and ship them to China, North Korea, Iran, or Cuba.

3. FreeHopingtoStayFree says:

It is interesting to me that the word Communist is actually appearing in the mainstream media, for the first time in 40 years. The OWSers no doubt think it is a movement that no longer exixts. Thank you for the in-depth look at these organizers, paid organizers. Is there anything we can do to combat this disgusting abuse of American freedom?

4. Greg, San Diego says:

Where does the First Amendment end and Sedition begin? The activities of the people you describe in this article go well beyond peaceful protest.

Sedition does NOT consist, in most representative democracies, of peaceful protest against a government, nor of attempting to change the government by democratic means (such as direct democracy or constitutional convention).

Sedition is the stirring up of rebellion against the government in power. Sedition often includes subversion of a constitution and incitement of discontent (or resistance) to lawful authority. All of this is the aim of those who are running the astroturf "Occupy Wall Street". The poor "useful idiots" who are living in filth, disease and death, to unwittingly advance the aims of these seditionists who are intent on overthrowing and destroying our Country and way of life, are to be both pitied and sent packing for their own good.

• Mutantone says:

they are just the tools that Obama wants in place which is the real problem he has a tool ready to disrupt the elections in place now and it gives him the ability to declare Martial law when he sees his numbers in the polls drop to much more

5. Audrey says:

I am a life long Democrat, but I am disgusted with all this class warfare they are promoting and our Government wanting to make American citizens depend on Government to support them, if this continues Americans will be controlled by a dictator type Govenment. I am also a lower income earner but, I do not want anyone to give me anything I have not earned or worked for. I have had it with all these violations of our Constitution. I am changing parties and several of my Democratic neighbor are going to do the same.

6. Stirling says:

It's not hard to belive the ties to radicals since the movement itself resembles less of peaceful American demonstrations (TEA PARTY) , then it does to European socialist state uprisings (OWS).. If you take the ties of ows further up the food chain there are more global elitists like George Soros who have been calling for similar dismantling of America, and have actively supported organizations financially in that objective.

7. Todd says:

I would like to see pictures of their offices. I imagine they are nice.

8. Ada says:

Because someone has the ability to influence others doesn't mean that influence was granted to them through the institution. That doesn't negate the fact that OWS is a horizontal organization. Of course there will be people who influence others but it was given by their own merit and from other person willing to act on that influence. No one in the movement is forced to act upon an order.

9. Bill says:

Excellent reporting Heritage. Information we will not see in the drive by media.

10. Craig says:

Is this community organization? There always seems to be a leader or leaders working behind the seen, out of curiosity whose play book are they using. I can not seem to recall there was someone in the past held as a community organizer!

11. They need to protest in Damascus,Beijing,Pyongyang, or Tehran. That would fix them…real quick

12. Guest says:

More than willing to pay any single OWS "person"'s fare one way to any "workers paradise" in the non free world as long as they stay there and renounce US citizenship.

13. I'm the dude in the article and the one thing they got right is that yes, Shazz is my writing name. Visit my site and email me if you have any questions. If you're in the NYC area, I'd be happy to meet you in person.

www(dot)shazzbarbaric(dot)com

I am concerned that the article is purposefully misleading. No one is paying my expenses, I'm actually pretty broke. That supposed book I wrote was actually just a proposal, check it out for yourself. I came to NYC to sell the concept but haven't had time to pitch it because I got caught up with the OWS movement. A lot of people put their lives on hold to do this full time, for free, with barely food and housing to compensate us.

But you can't put a dollar amount on living your values :)

No one is the leader in OWS, because we all are empowered to leaders, if that makes sense. All of our resources are at your disposal because the org is non hierarchical. If you want to do something, including work out of the office, you can do it. It's a pretty democratic org that includes both lefties and righties, long as they're willing to put their money where their mouth is.

I've personally witnessed a lot of abuse of power since I've been involved with OWS, by both the police and the media. Maybe it's naive to think that personal comment might make a difference, but you have to defend your name right?

The consensus process by which we come to decisions welcomes dissent. Contact me if you want clarification or further discussion on the points raised in the article. Or come on down to a GA in Zuccotti park, Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun @ 7pm. We're not a perfect organization and there are a lot of people trying to reform what we see as real problems in OWS, but the above article doesn't add anything to that discussion. I guess I'm hoping that by reaching out to the commenters I'll find rational sincere people willing to contribute some constructive criticism. Or maybe you have questions for me?

Let me know how I can be of service!

14. Leon Lundquist says:

Guys! I swung by the Ft. Collins, CO Occupy group because I saw a sign "No Socialists! No Communists! No Fascists!" Then, that particular sign was unexplainably gone never to be seen again. They really are Fabian Socialists, but then who isn't nowadays! Democrats have been turned inside out, they are so far away from their original purpose I say there aren't any Democrats! Nobody Represents the Natural Rights of the individual now that the Democrats are gone. Yeah DINOs, Democrats In Name Only! Dusty deadly bones!