• Morning Bell: Honoring Veterans Day

Today, we at The Heritage Foundation are proud to honor Veterans Day by pausing to remember the men and women in uniform who serve this country. They are some of the finest this nation has to offer.

Among those who have served throughout the years, the recipients of the Medal of Honor (MOH) deserve our utmost respect and admiration. They wear this august award for those who did not come home. They never refer to themselves as “winners” but see themselves as caretakers of the Medal of Honor for all who also served in harm’s way in defense of freedom.

The Medal of Honor is the highest award given to an American military service member who has shown extreme courage and intrepidity during combat.

We at The Heritage Foundation would like to take the opportunity on this special day to introduce you to a foundation devoted exclusively to perpetuating the legacy of these heroes and their notion of service above self.

The Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation and its Educational Curriculum are an invaluable resource for Heritage and for our nation. Teaching lessons in character, the Foundation holds in its resources short video living biographies of over 100 recipients of the Medal of Honor. These testimonials provide the basis for a six-part curriculum that teaches students how to better understand and emulate the virtues of courage, integrity, sacrifice, commitment, citizenship and patriotism in their own lives.

The interdisciplinary character development resource, “Medal of Honor: Lessons of Personal Bravery and Self-Sacrifice,” uses the oral histories of Medal of Honor recipients to convey to students that not only in military circumstances, but in everyday life, everyone can demonstrate courage and sacrifice. The lessons are intended for use across grade levels using a wide variety of teaching methods. The content is appropriate for all students in any school setting and encourages the use of critical thinking and collaboration skills.

This MOH Character Development Program is a research-based teaching strategy using vignettes that allow the participants to see and hear the events directly from the Medal of Honor recipient’s perspective and in their own words.  To see a sample of this resource, go to www.cmohedu.org. Above the log in, you can view one of the overview videos “In Their Own Words.” You can also watch MOH recipient Clarence Sasser and hear how a medic on a mission saved so many lives in the jungles of Vietnam.

Students connect the lessons to their own lives through small and whole group strategies and discover “what values can I apply to my life?” This resource curriculum does not glorify war. In contrast, it asks students to create their own definitions of courage, integrity, sacrifice, commitment, citizenship, and patriotism. The Program helps students acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to positively direct their social and civic interactions and to preserve our democratic society.

The Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation’s target goals and strategies include:

• Increase students’ understanding of the Medal of Honor and the 6 values associated with it: courage, commitment, integrity, sacrifice, citizenship and patriotism.
    • Increase academic engagement
    • Improve school culture and climate
    • Increase student achievement

To quote an educator using the program, “Just…press play; you will immediately know the importance of educating our youth about the values these men represent.” And from a student: “Act like everyone is watching, even if no one is.”

Quick Hits:

Posted in Security [slideshow_deploy]

33 Responses to Morning Bell: Honoring Veterans Day

1. twoodham says:

There is no such award as The Congressional Medal of Honor–it is simply The Medal of Honor/

2. The Farmer GR MI says:

As a veteran of the US military I very much appreciate what I just read, thank you!
      However I have a suggestion and it's not necessarily just for The Heritage Foundation, hopefully someone will read it that has connections within the government, see some merit in the idea and pass it on to someone who can propose it to government.
      There is a way to help our veterans in a win-win manner.
      1. Give all the returning veterans the opportunity to switch branches of service into the Coast Guard.
      2. Expanding the Coast Guard to cover any and all points of entry into our nation, and at the same time phasing out the Homeland Security Department and the Border Patrol.
      This would give, even the most seriously crippled war veterans an opportunity for a meaningful career and occupation whereby they can support themselves and their families.
      At the same time there are several adjustments that should be made in terms of benefits and retirement, that if they were done in a commonsense manner could help with some of our other problems; if anyone is interested I would be glad to enumerate them and lay down what to me seems a commonsense approach.

3. David Grimsled says:

There are so many schools that will not decide to use resources like this. I am not a school educator, but I wish I had access to these resources so I could do my part in educating today's young people.

4. Dr. Henry Sinopoli says:

As a Veteran, in no way a distinguished one, I am ashamed to think of the poor women and men serving under the current regime. What a waste of American's greatest resource.

5. toledofan says:

All veterans who served honorably shoud be held in the highest regard, period. This is especially true of all the people who fought and served during the Viet Nam era, they were a very dedicated bunch who never really received the recognition or support they deserved. On the other hand, no matter how distastful it maybe, it's because of all the men and women who served, that the Wall Street protesters can do what they are doing and things others are doing to voice their opinions. Freedom comes at a cost, it's not free, and sometimes the price is way too much and that's the sacrifice that's made everyday by our fine and outstanding men and women in the military today and yesterday. Thank you.

6. H Berwald says:

Why do you call yourselves the Congressional Medal of Honor Society when the correct name for the medal is simply the Medal of Honor?

7. MJF in CT says:

Thank you to all veterans. Stay proud!

8. Keith E Ellenberger says:

Medal of honor winners demonstrate what is best about America. They also highlight the fundamental difference between the United States and the radical Islamists who seek to weaken and destroy our nation and it's values. The vast majority of Medals of Honor have been awarded to individuals who have risked/sacrificed their life to save other lives. The radical Islamists risk/sacrifice their lives only to kill and/or terrorize others. Their is no more fundamental measuring rod available to compare the values and ideals of the United States of America and radical islam than to compare the deeds of our Medal of Honor winners with the deeds of the murderous martyrs of radical islam.

9. Jim says:

some of our politicians need an in depth course in this kind of stuff since they show NO fortitude, no courage and certainly no intrepidity. It is only for themselves that they serve, not for their country or fellow citizens. Get in harms way, not them, not like the winners of the MOH. My heart goes out to all those who served and never made it back home. God rest their souls and give them peace.

10. Carol M Kite says:

It would be a terrible disservice to the current military and our veterans if we Americans weren't keeping up with the events that affect each citizen. That means paying attention to our government, at every level, and getting involved, in the smallest to the greatest way, never be apathetic to what is occurring, never wasting our greatest attribute "Having a Voice"!

11. Bill McGarry says:

Great article. It is an easy jump to ask why the whole video mentioned in the article is not available for viewing by all? This is a great opportunity to offer the course to anyone that has internet access.

12. Teri Newman says:

My father-in-law, a retired USAF fighter pilot passed away this morning. It's only fitting that it's Veteran's Day. Two tours in Vietnam, USAF Fighter Weapons School graduate and instructor. The day has always had special meaning for me because so many of my male family members fought in WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam and my niece in Iraq, but now even more so as I will always remember my beloved father-in-law on this day.

13. sdfultz says:

Thank you Heritage, Great article.

14. allen says:

"Thank You, God Bless" for going thru that. from another Vet.

15. Jean Terry says:

I have much pride to honor our veterans. I had an uncle and cousin in WW11who gave their lives, 3 cousins who were badly injured. My deceased husband and his 2 brothers served also, one being a recipiant of the Purple Heart. 2 of muy three sons also served in the Marines and Army honorably. i see a soldier in uniform and my chest aches with pride. Without all of you serving or have served, we could never be th nation we are. I honor and love each of you and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

16. JOHN HUDAK says:

What if anything can our Senate/House do to force a vote in Congressand if necessary force a veto or signing the approval of the pipeline? Surely the rest of the US does not have to live with the Presidents decision to postpone a decision!

17. Lee Burns says:

And here's my "thank you" salute to the MERCHANT MARINE. Those folks were all heroes.

18. Jeanne Stotler says:

We need to give thanks to all who have served in the making, defending and making sure this great country remains as our Founding fathers intended. I have had the privledge in my life of meeting J.J. Pershing, USA> GEN. ret., my grandfather served under him in Cuba and at the Border dispute, and it was he who drew up Gen Pershing's last will and test. and served as his personal atty. My grandfather also was a superior officer in Hawaii to another Gen. who he remanined close friends with until his death, he was Gen. of the Armies MacAuthor. Thanks to all the service men in my lifeand especially to my BIL and his cousins who gave the supreme sacrifice in 1945, may you all Rest in Peace.

19. curtisburgess says:

I admire you "James Carafano" your words absolutely stands fort something.

20. Ken Jarvis says:

The FIRST thing Bush did after he invaded Iraq was –
      HE CUT Veterans Benefits.

LVKen7@Gmail.com

• Jack W Estes says:

Wrong buck-o the POTUS doesn't have the authority to invade anything – only the congress does; you sound like obama blaming everything from war to tsunami's on bush. And by the way, we ARE STILL in Iraq which the current POTUS committed to end, along with other fibs in campaign speeches.; where is the criticism for those broken promises?

• Clearhead says:

Jarvis — Why must you continually pour out your insipid and irrelevant vitriol when the rest of us are participating in an appreciative and reverent pause of reflection about some of the greatest American people ever born? Have you no respect? Have you no pride? Don't you realize that your fellow citizens READ these comments? Don't you care at all about your own reputation? Wise up, Kenny boy. (You might also remember that Bush is a veteran.)

• SandyK says:

I'm sure you are helping out in your local community to provide extra benefits, services, housing, etc. to vets. Stop the blame-game, and help out.

21. C.Adli says:

I was born and raised inTurkeybefore The Korean War.I was in my tewenties and a physian in Turkish army and met many Turkish Military officers who had been in Korea and fought beside American Soldiers.They told many stories about the war.Turkey was among the a few countries helping out America in their fight against the spreading Comminism.when I came to this country first as a student in 1956,I met a lot of people who had been to Korea and fought told me about Turks' bravery and their admiration of soldiers and officers.As I remember two of Turkish soldiers were given;The Medal Of Honore;by the Congress.For a long time I do not hear or see anything about Turkey;s participation inthat war.Neither the two recepient of ;The Medal Of Honore;

22. George says:

I work to increase my student's awareness of what Veterans are….Not all go to war, infact if they all did it would last as long as their canteen lasted…….Support from the services is the key to success.

23. Frank says:

I Love the article, but, MOH….. Please, give me a break.

24. Jack W Estes says:

Thank you Mr. Carafano in looking our for our military folks. I relay best wishes to my brothers and sisters in arms; past, present, and future; especially the families of veterans who have one of the toughest jobs on the planet watching their loved ones march off to protect us all, often going directly into harms way and some not returning. From a Vietnam era Navy vet and military family spanning five generations; may God Bless all our heroes on this day of thanks and recognition to those who make it possible to live in freedom.

25. TetVet68 says:

Remember Pearl Harbor — Keep America Alert!

(Now deceased) America's oldest living Medal of Honor recipient, living his 101st year is former enlisted Chief Petty Officer, Aviation Chief Ordnanceman (ACOM), later wartime commissioned Lieutenant John W. Finn, U. S. Navy (Ret.). He is also the last surviving Medal of Honor, "The Day of Infamy", Japanese Attack on the Hawaiian Islands, Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii, 7 December 1941.

Visit my photo album tribute:

San Diego, California

26. Casey Carlton says:

Marvelous! I was not aware of this organization. Thank you, Heritage, for the information.

27. Blair Franconia, NH says:

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can say this, thank a vet.

28. SandyK says:

I adore and admire the vets I know. My sister just retired from the navy, my brother served, and a few of my uncles, nephews, nieces, and friend's kids as well. I wish I would have enlisted when I was young.
      My comment is based on the federal workers that get the day off, paid by taxpayers, who have to work those federal holidays to pay their salaries and holiday pay.
      I think that only vets should get the day off with pay.