• Remembering D-Day

Today marks the 67th anniversary of Allied troops storming Normandy in what was known as D-Day. It was the knockout blow to Axis forces in Europe during World War II and the catalyst to ending the war in the Atlantic Theater. The heroism has been memorialized in countless movies and television documentaries, but nothing could truly capture the horrors of the battlefield on that day.

The sacrifice of the brave young men was almost overwhelming. The largest assault in World War II came at a heavy price, but freedom was on the line, and thankfully, freedom prevailed. They were fighting for a cause much larger than themselves, and some died for that cause. It’s a sobering fact to remember on a day like today when we have so much that we take for granted—things made possible because of the sacrifices of the men and women in the U.S. military.

Honoring the military today isn’t as commonplace as it was in the years following World War II. The people in today’s military still make the same sacrifices and share the same allegiance to their country and its ideals. Men and women serving in the military always have, and always will, deserve our utmost respect. This is why one of The Heritage Foundation’s priorities is a strong national defense.

The Heritage Foundation is proud to honor the brave men and women who serve this country.  To those who were involved in the D-Day invasion: We salute you and offer our sincerest gratitude.

Posted in Security [slideshow_deploy]

7 Responses to Remembering D-Day

1. Todd Liberty says:

When will we see normalcy in our Great country

2. Ted Viveiros says:

Thank you for posting this. Our family has a long military history, starting with our son who is currently an Airman in the Air Force, to my wife's father, who was a Brigadier General in the Army, and everything in between. My wife and I are grateful for the freedom we enjoy because of the ultimate sacrifice made by so many. That is something we will never take for granted. Let's hope you get as many comments posted for this tribute as you do with other articles.

3. Ken Loveless, Austin says:

UP FLAG, SALUTE!!!!!!!!!!

4. Sandra Lococo, Welli says:

I will 'never forget' the heroism and the astounding bravery of those who were involved in the D-Day Invasion – 'Operation Overlord'.

I have raised my sons [all now in their late 40s] to 'never forget'. We must not!!!

These brave men fought, and so many died, for each and every one of us who have been able to enjoy lives free from oppression.

I am now very worried though. I am so afraid that the youth of today are not being taught the real meaning of that oft used, but so very true, phrase . . . . FREEDOM IS NOT FREE. They sadly seem to take it for granted.

God Bless all those who gave their lives; and God Bless those who are still with us. My family and I thank you; and we are forever in your debt.

5. Jeanne Stotler,Woodb says:

Thanks for remembering, my brother in law, a 21, almost 22YO with a wife and 2 kids was killed in France when his tank ran over a land mind, his cousin was killed 2 weeks before him and another cousin killed in the "Battle of the Bulge" both left infants, these kids never knew their Dads ad neither did I, but I put flowers on their graves in Arlington several times a year.

6. Paul Cheall, Norwich says:

Anyone interested in D-Day might like to read my Dad’s first hand account at the link below. This harrowing extract is taken from his memoirs. Dad fought throughout the whole war with the Green Howards, right from Dunkirk, and was in the first wave of troops to land on Gold Beach – those lads were so incredibly brave.

Regards

Paul

PS The item starts with an interesting engagement between Dad and US troops!

7. West Texan says:

Liberty was saved by men who secured Normandy's beaches to begin the allies righteous advance toward a mass-murderer's national socialist regime. Let's honor their hard won fight for justice by preserving what they suffered and fought to defend.