• EPA Gives Money to China's Ministry of Environmental Protection

Normally, in exchange for a loan, you agree to pay the bank the principal borrowed along with interest. You would never think of then giving the money back to the bank so that the bank could remodel, sweep the parking lot, or buy cases of those squiggly government-approved light bulbs. If the bank wants to do that, they can pay for it themselves.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does things differently. While the People’s Republic of China holds over $1.1 trillion of our debt, EPA is busy giving grants to China (see here, here, here, here , here, and here). The Chinese grantees include their Ministry of Environmental Protection.

The Chinese would be stupid not to take the money and run. They get whatever the EPA is funding for free. Even if the Chinese don’t really want or need whatever it is, it’s revenue or salaries that make them richer and us poorer. On top of that, we pay them interest to take the money.

Could the EPA be less responsible with your hard-earned money? Unfortunately, yes.

The EPA has a history of largesse with tax dollars, as detailed on The Foundry. The agency is giving out tax dollars to green groups that sue the government and environmental justice groups that carry out critical missions like picketing a Harris Teeter grocery store for carrying Smithfield hams. The EPA gives grants to groups like Organizing People Activating Leaders (OPAL). OPAL’s resources are directed at such crucial national issues as its “Bus Riders Unite!” campaign in Portland, Oregon.

Although OPAL’s grant was only $5,000, the EPA’s database indicates that it is “high risk.” Why the EPA considers it high risk can’t be gleaned from the database, but perhaps it followed the strings of this organization back to other groups like the Cascade Resources Advisory Group (CRAG) Law Center.

One of OPAL’s board members is a director at CRAG. CRAG’s Web site regales visitors with their environmental “victories and current cases.” It reports that “opponents of liquefied natural gas…celebrated earlier this year when [Bradwood Landing and Northernstar Energy] announced it was filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.” It reports on their appeal of a “proposed large-scale destination resort.” It reports on the organization’s lawsuit “challenging the approval of permits for a strip mine” and other “groundbreaking climate litigation” against Oregon and the Governor as “part of a hatch of litigation filed around the country and the world.”

A grant of tax dollars to a group like OPAL is by definition “high risk.” The real question isn’t why the EPA considers OPAL’s grant high risk but why so many other EPA grants aren’t as well.

Posted in Energy [slideshow_deploy]

19 Responses to EPA Gives Money to China's Ministry of Environmental Protection

1. Stirling, Pennsylvan says:

What part of "were broke" doesn't the EPA understand? Oh wait I forgot, the fed can just print more monopoly money to save China's enviroment. I hope China realizes that anything they are paid back will also be in monopoly money. The EPA is making a good case to be abolished once some sanity is finanlly elected in 2012.

• jellybean8309 says:

WTH?!? Their spending our SS,cutting medicaid,closing schools,millions of ppl out of work,states are bankrupt..ETC(!!)….there is no other answer than they WANT the US to crumble!This is absolutely UNCONSCIENABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Chris Skates, Paduca says:

It is almost overwhelming to keep up with the onslaught of one ridiculous maneuver after another from this EPA. Acitivst groups are currently driving environmental policy in this nation. The Legislative branch has been rendered irrelevant. There was a time when I thought, "The American people will never allow this." But now I fear the American peope as a whole have long ago fallen into a deep slumber. Even this unconstitutional theivery will not be enough to awaken them. Yommamoto feared awakening the sleeping giant. It appears the giant is more than asleep now.

My new novel, Going Green: For Some It Has Nothing To Do With The Environment talks about a potential slap to the giants face. I thought it was fiction when I wrote it. Now I am not so sure.

3. a.d. monday , searcy says:

The EPA was formed under Nixon. Nixon's departure was anything but graceful. The EPA should depart in the same manner.

4. Pingback: EPA Gives Money to China’s Ministry of Environmental Protection

5. Leon Lundquist, Dura says:

Golly! Robert Gordon, it sounds like Public Money being used to Go After Americans. I don't see this as improper, I see this stuff as Criminal Acts! Sorry! I'm that way, see, I believe in Representative Government! The EPA is monstrous in my belief! See, I care about the Human Environment! We are part of it! We human beings are the Best Part of the Environment! What? Are you nuts? Paying the Chinese to collect cow farts? They must be laughing themselves to death over there! For a few million bucks? Carbon Junk Science for China and we pay for it? Hey! I'm an American! Don't just throw my money away! I could do a lot of good with that money for the Human Environment!

I hate what the EPA is doing! They are Going After Americans and destroying their lives! And why? The successes of the EPA (which were really the successes of the businesses involved who actually did the work) made the EPA perfectly exploitable! We have paid for a Green Crazy Indoctrination that says Human Beings are destroying the Earth! Well that's crazy! Didn't we just prove we could stop air pollution. Then EPA goes against express Congressional Intent and defines a harmless gas, CO2 as a poison! Then they play to make huge money off it! For their friends, of course! Get Rid Of The Environmental Protection Agency!

We can call them back when we need them! But right now! EPA is the greatest cause of Disaster in American Industry! Hey! If we are broke we won't be able to handle ANY Climate change! Impeach Sebilius, and maybe we get lucky and get Obama in the Conspiracy. (Never Impeach without RICO! Without Conspiracy!) Abolish the EPA. "So long! And thanks for all the fish!"

6. Dee Va. says:

I would think the GOP would be stopping some of that give away money after all it isnt the ILLEGAL MUSLIM OBAMA'S it belongs to WE THE PEOPLE AND WE NEED IT HERE IN OUR COUNTRY FOR OUR OWN PEOPLE SO STOP TAKING AWAY FROM OUR PEOPLE HERE……………..

7. Don Watson, Ottumwa, says:

Your comment "But now I fear the American peope as a whole have long ago fallen into a deep slumber. Even this unconstitutional theivery will not be enough to awaken them" I feel is likely to be the case in 2012. There is quite a bit of talk and polls that say Obama's performance is rated as poor but I really think that he will be put back in office by hook or by crook. What is wrong with our country and will we change it?

8. Jane..New Jersey says:

I want to know why the EPA is giving China anything.As you stated China hold's 1.1 trillion dollars of our debt.

Don't you think it's time to reinvest in America?

Don't you think it time for America to show the rest of the world why we are the greatest country in the world?

Don't you think it's time to stop wasting tax payer dollars on government agency's that have their own agenda?

I know I'm tired of the way things are being done.Some Americans elected a community leader to run the free world and I think he is running it into the ground.

What happened to his promise to change things.The only thing I see he has changed is the size of his bank account

9. DeborahTexas says:

I watched a video where this woman….hopefully I'll think of her name….she works high up in the EPA. She said that they had 1.83 TRILLION in liquidable assets. The EPA is blowing your retirement fund, on purpose. hmmm…Lisa Jackson..had to google..Again, she said that they had 1.83 TRILLION in liquidable assets.

Now, do you see why they'd be so bold?

10. Freedom, by the way says:

Boy I must be naive. I never realized a federal angency had the power to use tax dollars as grants to foreign universities and research firms. Don't we have enough US univerities and firms that could use that money for AMERICAN interests? Now I'm curious just how detailed the federal agencies budgets have to be before congress approves.

11. Knoxville, TN says:

I wonder at times if our administration trying to bring us down to our knees because of their spending habits. I think even a ten year old would not give EPA money to China due to our own financial mess and we have to borrow the money from China to give it back to China. How stupid is that!!!!!

12. nc says:

Somewhere between the 1950's and the 60's our government went stupid……We need a lot of laws repealed, a lot of taxes taken away, and a lot of morons from offices removed………That is about all it would take to get our businesses back on track in the USA, familes off the welfare and into the working world again, and a new government that helps the people and not their own greedy self

13. Elizabeth Farrar says:

I have had a hard time comprehending the ideology and any rationale for giving foreign entities any grants from the USEPA. Listed under grants are 46 grants awarded to foreign entities by this agency in amounts ranging from $15000 to $3,237,651. The USEPA was formed in 1970 to promulgate rules, regulations and enforcement of environmental issues in the United States ( or that is what I thought I knew to be the premise of the USEPA). As I viewed the grants I noticed that one was given to China to help 100000 Chinese develop more green ways of living. Please give me a break if you believe that the People's Republic of China give a rat's you know what about this issue. I plan to wirte my Senators and Congressional leaders and hope all who have read this report do also.

14. ROBERT MARTIN 1401 N says:

THE FEDERAL RESERVE MEMBERS OWN AND CONTROL ALL OF THE EARTH'S NATURAL RESOURSES OF OIL,GAS, MINING OF ALL VALUABLE MINERALS, THE SHIPPING AND TRANSPORTATION OF ALL OF THESE RESOURSES AND THEREFORE CONTROL ALL OF THE WORLDS SOCIETYS BY VIRTUE OF CONTROLING THE ''PURSE'' STRINGS…….WHICH IS NOW HEADING TOWARDS CONTROLING ALL OF THE AGRICULTURE THAT THEY CAN GET THEIR HANDS ON..OUR MILITARY IS JUST A ''SWAT'' TEAM FOR THE MAJOR GLOBAL INTERISTS OF THE FEDERAL RESERVIST ''CARTEL'' MEMBERSHIP. THEY ARE TRYING TO CODDLE US AND STICK A TEAT IN OUR MOUTH. LETS GET BACK TI OUR CONSTITUTION AND PROMOTE SMALL BUSINESS AGAIN.

15. ExDumbocrat says:

Kruschev was right.

16. Pingback: A Few Random Selections: Libya, Fair-Trade, & More | The Pretense of Knowledge

17. Pingback: We’re famous!

18. Pingback: Hybrid Electric Cars