• Obamacare: The Real Price Tag is a Moving Target

Two new studies highlight the growing concern that the true cost for Obamacare is greater than originally anticipated.  Last week, a new report from the Office of the Actuary at the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) revised its estimates—exposing yet again that the new law will mean more health care spending, not less. Plus, the Congressional Research Service released a report that suggests states will face higher costs as a result of Obamacare.

These studies are just two examples of how assumptions, even small ones, in forecast models of Obamacare result in large differences for the total cost of the new law.  The CMS study, for example, assumes the scheduled physician payment cuts will continue as planned, resulting in significant savings that will help offset the massive expenses from Obamacare. However, history has shown that these cuts have never gone into effect and aren’t likely to do so in the future. As a matter of fact, the physician cuts for this year already were postponed. The CRS report focuses on the variation in estimates regarding the impact of the new law on the states.

If any of the underlying assumptions for the new law miss their target, the price tag is sure to go up. To help Americans better understand how different the results of Obamacare can be with just small changes in the estimates, the Heritage Foundation will soon release an online calculator that will allow users to test out their own theories. It’s one more way the public can decide what’s realistic and unlikely when it comes to the savings and costs of Obamacare.

Posted in Obamacare [slideshow_deploy]

12 Responses to Obamacare: The Real Price Tag is a Moving Target

1. concerned american says:

The true crime is America stripping Liberty away from its citizens.

Answer me this, why is there a law now that forces me to wear a seatbelt when I’m in a car? Is it because America wants to save my life? Okay cool… How many people die in America because of second hand seat belt…..? I guess cigarettes and alcohol will be next on the list…. Oh that’s right, the government taxes and makes money off of tobacco and alcohol, wait a minute, if I don't wear my seat belt now, I have to pay a fine to the government, so I guess the seat belt law is actually less about saving lives and more about making money off of Americans.

And now we will be forced to buy into Government health insurance pretty soon…

Farewell Liberty

lib·er·ty?

1. freedom from arbitrary or despotic government or control. (HA! – GONE)

2. freedom from external or foreign rule; independence. (Money owed to CHINA?)

3. freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions, etc.; power or right of doing, thinking, speaking, etc., according to choice. (seatbelts, buying what you want, health insurance) – GONE

4. freedom from captivity, confinement, or physical restraint (seatbelt law) – GONE

2. Bill, Kansas City, M says:

Does it really surprise anyone that we, the American people, were once again lied to by the politicians?

3. Pingback: » Obamacare: The Real Price Tag is a Moving Target

4. Concerned, Mequon WI says:

Another mess by this administration that needs to be cleaned up.

5. Drew Page, IL says:

If left in place, the true cost of Obamacare won't be determined for years because so much of it is yet to be phased in. The financial impact will not be be seen in any appreciable degree until the forth quarter of 2015. Blurring the financial impact will be the rise in Medicaid costs, due to the additional millions of people that will be put into it. Further blurring will occur as a result dependent on whether Medicare funding will be cut by $500 billion over 10 yearas, as health care reform counted on.

Supporters will argue that Obamacare had nothing to do with increased costs of Medicaid and Medicare. But by then, the point will be moot.

As the number of companies still offering health insurance begin to get out of the market and the number of employers see that it's easier and cheaper for them to drop health coverage, the only option left will be government run, single payer health care — the goal of Obama and the Democrats from day one.

6. Me, here says:

Hey, at least this is a good thing for America, unlike the Bush tax cuts fo rthe rich, which costs more than TWICE AS MUCH!

7. Charles N., Ohio says:

Don't be absurd; tax cuts cost NOTHING. Go back and watch football.

8. Pete P., CA says:

I disagree that tax cuts cost NOTHING. Are you saying that if you gave me service that cost you $100 and I owed you $100, but you gave me a discount of $10 then it cost you nothing? Don't you need to make up that $10 somewhere? So it's going to cost somebody something right?

Uh, go back to watching basketball? Or go back to tending the farm or whatever makes sense in Ohio.

Hey, I'm not putting you down. I'm just trying to put it in the same terms you so eloquently used.

9. Pingback: McCAFFREY: Acknowledge Problem | THE POLITICIZER

10. Pingback: Does Anyone Really Want National Health Care? - Page 7 - US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

11. Pingback: Happy Anniversary? I Don't Think So, Mitt - Page 3 - US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

12. mom of 7 says:

This is just a new benefit for the special interest groups for insurance companies. Think about it. I had car insurence and it cost me $24 a month. Within 6 months of the mandatory car insurence law that was mandated in Wisconsin, my premium jumped up to $45 a month and with no explaination and I had nothing to say about it. I had no choice but to pay it, It is a law. Obama care is going to do the same thing. He is just buttering the health insurance and pharmacies palms for thier "generous " contrabutions for present and future campaigns. Soes anyone else see this?