• The DISCLOSE Act and the NRA: Some Bad News

Just as opposition was building in the House to the unconstitutional and burdensome DISCLOSE Act, which is intended to help Democrats in the November election by stifling the political speech of corporations and many non-profit advocacy organizations (but not unions), the National Rifle Association has apparently sold out.

Politico
    and others are reporting that the NRA has reached a deal to withdraw its opposition to the bill in exchange for an exemption for the NRA from its disclosure provisions. The exemption would apply to “organizations which have qualified as having tax exempt status under section 501(c)(4) of the tax code for each of the 10 years prior to making a campaign-related disbursement, that had 1 million or more dues-paying members in the prior calendar year, that had members in each of the 50 states, that received no more than 15 percent of their total funding from corporations or labor organizations, and that do not use any corporate or union money to pay for their campaign-related expenditures.”

There aren’t too many organizations that will fit within this exemption, but I understand the NRA thinks it is one of those that will. This exemption will not apply to small, less powerful 501(c)(4) organizations, which will be hit the hardest by the onerous, burdensome, and expensive disclosure requirements of the DISCLOSE Act, but it will apply to the large, well-funded and well-connected NRA.

So, the NRA may end up providing the lobbying grease that allows this noxious and partisan piece of legislation to slide through the House, something that I seriously doubt most of the individual members of the NRA (who are strong believers in the First Amendment as well as the Second) would agree with.

Cross-posted at The Corner.

Posted in First Principles [slideshow_deploy]

21 Responses to The DISCLOSE Act and the NRA: Some Bad News

1. ProfessorTom, http://professortom.xanga.com says:

Why would the NRA do such a thing? Charlton Heston is turning over in his grave.

2. Buddy Simpson Kennesaw Ga. says:

One more reason to consider resigning my NRA membership. They tried to kill a recent pro gun bill in the Georgia legislature. The NRA compromises to suite what is best for the NRA and not it’s members or the American people.

3. Lloyd, Conover NC says:

Here's the NRA statement on the legislation released today. Getting out ahead of the criticism.

As an NRA member, I'm not happy. Seems to me that our official policy is to read the political tea leaves, assume that a bill or nominee will pass whether we oppose it or not, then negotiate for better terms. The First Amendment for me, but not for thee, in this case.

I recently renewed my membership, despite my misgivings. Now I'm thinking my membership money would do me more good at a real conservative group like GOA.

4. Pingback: The DISCLOSE Act and the NRA: Some Bad News « Faulk For Congress

5. Jerry Linger - Cinci says:

Well – I guess I won't have to pay THAT bill this year. Good thing I held off on the lifetime membership . . .

6. Ross Wolf says:

Before Hitler dissolved German Parliament, he got support for passing controversial legislation from corporations by bribing them with special breaks inserted in legislation that economically injured their competitors that produced similar products. Bribed corporations were so greedy, they didn’t realize Hitler was undermining the collective power of the corporations, turning the corporations against each other so they could not oppose Hitler’s policies. Subsequently the corporations standing separately and no longer together, Hitler was able to strong-arm, control and shutdown corporations he gave breaks to earlier.

Will the Second Amendment come to an end in similar fashion?

7. R. Jay Fortin, Westo says:

I hope you are right about NRA members being disappointed with this decision. I would like to think that most are like me; strong supporters of the entire Constitution, not just the second amendment. In any event, does the NRA really believe that Pelosi and Schumer won't be back to get them after they've silenced everyone else?

I've already notified them that I won't be renewing my membership when it expires. I guess I'll contribute what would have been my NRA dues to the Heritage Foundation!

8. D, Coviak, Lansing, says:

I was considering joining the NRA–guess I will forget that!!

9. Anna Maria Vennettil says:

Shame Shame on you, of all I never thought this organisation ,would sell out like you did. I am canceling my subscription A S A P . This country is done. thank U Obama.you accomplish what you set out to do. and N R A , fellowed in line. like good little sell outs.

Disgusted

10. NJTaylor says:

I was just getting to the point of joining the NRA. Trash that idea.

I wonder if their phones are off the hook today….I'll check it out.

There are more sell outs in this country than I thought there would be

in a difficult time as this. Sure not like the times of old. Bunch of chickens

pecking around in the soil nowdays!

11. Pingback: Disclose This! | Tenth Amendment Center Blog

12. OneCitizenSpeaking ( says:

You do not compromise free speech for the Second Amendment. They are both integral to our Constitution and are not up for political debate and special political deals. As an NRA life member (patron level), I am apalled that Wayne LaPierre (a professional lobbyist) did not consult the full board before cutting a deal with the anti-gun Chuck Schumer. This is crazy. The bill would have failed and now we see the NRA has given it new life. I am all for firing Wayne LaPierre over this stunning breach of organizational protocol.

13. Timothy Taylor, Va says:

This is why I dont follow the NRA anymore. They are willing to compromise other rights, and then act as if somehow they are going to help us protect the 2nd amendment. What they fail to recognize is that if you allow one right to be usurped by these theocrats, you allow them all to stripped away by precedent. The NRA is toast. Move on folks. Follow Dudley Brown, or ANY other freedom movement, but not these charlatains. Freedom of speech is only one of the many protections being destroyed. Perhaps they havent notice Elena Kagan's stance is"Im not sympathetic to their right to own, and carry guns". dont worry folks, the cattle cars are coming soon enough.

14. Andy, Minneapolis MN says:

Why don't all you angry chest thumpers take the time to go to the NRA's website and get their response to this. They haven't sold out anyone, the dems sought to take out an opponent that could stop their game, and in the process created new problems. The NRA is big, but it isn't the only thing out there to weigh in on this particular fight, how about yourselves? What have you done to stop this? Have you called your legislators, Congressman and Senators? I doubt it, much easier to vent on the NRA for its supposed failures.

15. Budd Schroeder, Lanc says:

The NRA fights for all of our Constitutional rights, but is focused on the Second Amendment. That is the Amendment that protects all out other rights. Some bills are killed by a "poison pill" amendment and sometimes that is the best way to get rid of a bad bill. The NRA stand on this bill seems to be causing this bill to be withdrawn or at least, greatly weakened. If so, it has done its job.

The NRA does not get involved in other issues such as abortion, the death penalty, gay rights, etc. The right to keep and bear arms is the reason for its existance. There are many other organizations interested in the First Amendment and they should be working on killing the bill.

The NRA is known for its high ethical standards and power in Washington and many legislators have great respect for the organization. If other "special interest" groups worked with the same dilligence and reputation, they would be effective enough to defeat this "incumbent protection" bill.

16. Dan, Platteville CO says:

Actually, this may be a brilliant move. The progressives may have trapped themselves into a Box by passing the house version with the NRA Exempted.

Peter Roff – U.S. News

"But political maneuvering by the Democrats intended to circumvent the opposition of the National Rifle Association (NRA) and ensure the bill's passage may end up killing it…

It may, however, all be for naught. The same maneuver than made it more likely to get the legislation through the House may have doomed its chances of passing the Senate. California Democrat Diane Feinstein, a longtime opponent of Second Amendment rights, has come out strongly in opposition to the NRA’s proposed exemption…

With Feinstein in opposition, the GOP may now be able to sustain a filibuster of the Disclose Act on the Senate floor, given that she is one of a small handful of Democrats who would rather fight the NRA–on principle as well as for its political value–more than they would like to muzzle conservative advocacy groups. With the exemption the bill passes the House and may fail in the Senate. Without the exemption, it cannot pass the House, leaving the Democrats in a box no matter what the NRA does."

Lets Hope that this "exemption" will be a Bill-Killer.

If the Dems had hoped to "splinter" 2nd amendment support they have personally failed as far as I am concerned. I will continue to support the good works of the NRA, No organization can be 100% perfect every time.

17. dan says:

did "move-on .org" pay off the NRA?

18. Isirio Abelon says:

Definitely disappoint NRA members for their actions..

19. Riverside, Californi says:

Why all the fingerpointing at NRA? The NRA is a paid lobbying group, very powerful in the halls of Congress. They will do what they have to do to stay alive. Sell out? Maybe. I don't see people whining about the tactics other lobbying groups pull to stay in the good graces of Congress. One thing is certain, everyone. We the People are responsible and We the People are to blame for our elected officials running amok, destroying the Constitution, taking away our freedoms, bankrupting us, not reading bills before voting on them. We only need look into a mirror to see who is really to blame for America's downfall. We the People are in charge. These clowns, Barack Hussein Obama, Harry Reid and the rest of them work for us, not the other way around. What is the one thing that an elected official fears most? Election Day. What is this Disclose Act all about? Killing the vote. They want to shut us all up so they can stay in power and keep their power, keep their money, keep their jobs while we suffer. Easiest solution to this mess? Vote. Register to vote, get to the polls in November and vote every incumbent out of office. None of them have served us. For our country to get to this point, none of them have done the will of the people or supported our Constitution. Vote. Game over. problem solved. End of story. It's a free solution, it's a simple solution and it's our right. I will never again join a grassroots group, organization, movement, whatever. They are an absolute joke, all of them based on the same ideology of Saul Alinsky, the great grassroots community organizer. Good in theory, bad in application. However, I will keep up with The Heritage Foundation and I will continue to vote. It is about winning. One of these days we will realize that we handed everything over without a fight. It is a fact the Germans were swept away by a young Adolf Hitler, the pictures and the historical evidence proves it. Germany was in love with Hitler. They welcomed him with open arms. He took away everything and they let him. We will end up doing the same thing here…only this time there is no America to rescue us from tyranny. We have nowhere to run. The cattle cars are not on the horizon, they are already here. God help America.

20. Don Aguilar, Lawton, says:

After over 20 years of NRA membership, I'm quitting and taking as many people as I can with me. The quid pro quo inaction of the NRA is nothing less than a sell out. I won't be a part of it. I joining GOA. NRA stands for Narrow Rights and Spineless.

21. Bill, Cape Coral,Fl says:

Isn't the Disclocsure act just about making these organizations report donations they recived. This isn't about free speach it's about showing who is really pay for it. What is so wrong with that. Or is Heritage scared of something.