• Video of the Week: Gov. Chris Christie Serves-Up Some Common Sense

Love him or hate him, you’ve got to admit that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is not afraid to take a stand, speak his mind, or face the heat while doing it.

He served up his latest dish of no-nonsense honesty at a townhall in Rutherford, New Jersey, on Tuesday in defense of his plan to reform the Garden State’s bloated budget through an overhaul of civil service, reform of public pensions, and a constitutional cap on property tax growth.

And he’s taking flak for it. As you can see in the Video of the Week, a teacher confronted Christie and argued she’s underpaid for her work, given her education and experience. Christie’s reply? “Well, you know, then, that you don’t have to do it.”

A few weeks ago, a reporter questioned the governor’s penchant for tough talk and asked him about his “confrontational tone.” Christie said in response:

I believe in less government, lower taxes, and in empowering local officials who are elected by their citizens to be able to fix their problems. That may lead to a disagreement or two … [T]he fact of the matter is, this is who I am, and this is who the people elected.”

Colorful Q&A aside, Christie is drawing national attention for his decidedly different tack on coping with budget deficits – he’s cutting spending. (Well, OK, it’s “different” if your basis of comparison is the federal government.)

As he writes on RealClearPolitics.com, New Jersey’s fiscal crisis is marked by a $10.9 billion deficit and a $29.3 billion budget, which makes it the worst budget deficit percentage in America. So he’s proposing budget cuts, a cap on property taxes (because people can’t afford to pay them), a cap on spending, collective bargaining reform and other measures.

Christie explains that he knows how painful the cuts are but that he feels “an obligation to stand up and do what the people elected me to do, which is to get our government under control.” And like he says  in this week’s video:

Unlike the United States of America, the State of New Jersey can’t print money.”

The U.S. Congress could use some of that commonsense conservatism.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

15 Responses to Video of the Week: Gov. Chris Christie Serves-Up Some Common Sense

1. LibertyAtStake, Alex says:

We can all enjoy the Laurel and Hardy mash ups when Christie runs against Obama in 2012. :)

[For a light hearted take on our present peril]

2. Billie says:

WOW! Common sense is peeking through. Let's hope catches on!

Any employee with government attached, should be the first to do with less as government doesn't run on their own dime. And if they love what they do, it wouldn't make a difference. These greedy people also have benefits attached to their $83,000 jobs that steal from the private sector who doesn't benefit, but forced to pay!

3. Darryle Owens, Minne says:

I wonder what those two teachers' home finances look like.

4. Technormality, Arizo says:

The teacher says she teaches because she "loves" it. The truth is she is at the meeting because she is going to lose money in her pay check and her cushy living is being impacted.. If she truly teaching because she "loves" it, she wouldn't be complaining about cuts..

5. Rob says:

Absolutely great! I wish we could get a governor like Christie here in Illinois. I won't hold my breath.

6. Mike, Cleveland, OH. says:

I will make this simple:

I LOVE THIS GUY!! He cuts through all the fallacies and gets to the crux of the problem.

Go Governor Christie!!

7. Bill Grant, Little F says:

Christie is right on, and his opponents are being unrealistic. A dose of the private sector would bring some of them back to the real world.

8. Mike, IL says:

"Rob on May 26th, 2010 at 7:00pm said:

Absolutely great! I wish we could get a governor like Christie here in Illinois. I won’t hold my breath."

Amen to that!

9. Corky, Howey in the says:

Think maybe something is starting? Airzona steped up to the plate and batted a home run with their new law. Now, Governor Christie takes his turn at bat. Now, if we can get more Governor's to take up the challenge of doing what is RIGHT by the people of their States…

10. Keith, New Jersey says:

As a New Jersery resident, I see greed and the whining first hand from our public sector. the simple fact is the government employees (both local and state) take out far more than they ever put in during their lifetime. The sense fo entitlement of these public servants is astounding. The divide is increasing between the public and private sector employees. Teachers aren't the only issue. There are employee groups that need to be dealt with too. I hope Governor Christie's plans are implemented and implemented quickly so real change can take hold.

11. Marshall, Dameron, M says:

I LOVE THIS GUY. WE NEED TO CLONE HIM FOR THE OTHER 49 STATES.

12. William Person says:

Foir all of those making comments, what you doing to make your wishes come true in your state government? Democracy is not a spectator sport! It requires participation and the confidence to express your point of view. Isn't that what Govenor Christie is doing?

13. Rigoberto Aceves - W says:

" MY FELLOW AMERICANS ", If only the federal government and states stop all of the social services and benefits to the " ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS " there would be more money in the budgets to take care of our expenses in doing business and wouldn't have to raise taxes and make cuts to our citizens. We are paying for all of those things that the other countries are not giveing their own citizens like Mexico and many countries around the world. LETS FACE IT ( I know it is not politically correct to say it but ) we are the supporters of all of those that are unwanted by their own countries. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Raise the poenalties to all of those that hire Illeagal Immigrants and those jobs would be for U.S.A. Citizens. IT IS A NO BRAINER. NO JOBS FOR " ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS " LESS EXPENSES FOR WELFARE, EDUCATION, ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC. WAKE UP AMERICA ! ! ! ! ! . AND OUR MONEY WOULD STAY HERE IN AMERICA NOT SENT TO OTHER COUNTRIES TO HELP OTHER COUNTRIEs' ECONOMY.

14. Lynn Bryant DeSpain says:

Good man. Good rebuttal. Good leadership. America needs more like him to stand up to the overeducated elite who demand more and give less except to pound on the virtures of Socialism and the evils of Capitalism.

15. Main Street Mama - O says:

"And you're not compensating me for my education!!!" ~ Angry NJ Teacher to Gov Christie ….. Wow! New Jersey's supposed to do that, too?!

That teacher appears to be a product of Progressive classroom training and education. Hard to tell if she really does love teaching or not. Sounds more like she's frightened about her future.

I know what she meant about loving teaching. I home-educated each of my three children for a season in each of their lives, and my heart jumped for joy each time I saw that FIRE of UNDERSTANDING light up in each beautiful set of eyes! There's just nothing like that feeling when they could stand and say the long and short vowels, blend them with a consonant, and then "WHOOSH!" they were off and READING three-letter words, four-letter words, bigger words! I LOVED TEACHING MY OWN CHILDREN!!! Might come by it honestly, too…

After raising seven children on a Midwest farm with Grandpa, my Grandma went back to college at the age of 50, and taught English until she retired, and then wrote a family history book! She was active in her church and book club 'til she was about 91 when she was kinda sorta asked to give up her driver's license. Oh well… she lived a wonderful productive life then left us just shy of her 101st B'day.

Of their five sons and two daughters, three sons and one daughter served overseas in our Armed Forces, one son became a University Professor, the youngest son took over the family farm, and the youngest daughter became an Elementary Teacher. All were creative thinkers, and hard workers. ALL were PROUD TO BE AMERICANS!

You know, in the real world, you pay for your own education and/or trade school training, then you go out and MAKE IT HAPPEN – without the Govt dole… without Food Stamps… without a State Health Card… without an expensive wardrobe… without a new SUV-packs of cigs-and a case-o'-beer.

You wanna eat, you work and make it happen with elbow grease, and the sweat of your brow. Some nights you get to sleep the sweet sleep of a child. Other nights you're up into the wee hours of the morning or all night ruminating on your dreams, hopes, and plans.. You keep on. You "Modify! Modify! Modify!"

Dad and Mom said, "If you want something, you work for it." That was all there was to it. So, I always found a job – even while going to school. At age 10, I bought my first bicycle for $25.00 with money earned picking strawberries in the hot sun, did dishes and helped with cleaning in our own home, helped with all my younger siblings, sold homemade lemonade in front of our house, babysat and cleaned other houses, went to school all week long, to church twice each Sunday and once each Wednesday, swam, played, studied, sang in choirs, learned to play Eb Alto Sax and march in the H.S. Band and Parades, mowed lawns, pulled weeds, dusted shelves in a Bible Book House, washed windows, traveled the U.S. and parts of Europe singing and sharing the love of JESUS with about 50 other high school and college-age students, wrapped Christmas Gifts in a Drug Store, directed a church choir, filed reams of records in a corporate credit department, proof read 20-digit numbers on parts orders for the military in an international billing dept., was a Relief PBX Operator and Girl Friday in all depts of an AAA Head Office, workied weekends in a hospital laundry room while taking night classes at theState University, cooked part-time for a Montessori School, was an accounting clerk, an asst secretary in a Jr High, ran frosty full A&W Root Beer Mugs with Hot Hamburgers outside to customers on both sides of the Drive -Up (remember those days?!), cleaned motel rooms at the beach, built cabinets and drawers in a mobile home factory, sold Avon in a rural area, pulled on a veneer green chain, waited tables in my spare time, applied for scholarships and grants to go to college then wrote a summer recreation program to earn the difference before that Fall, submitted it before a City Council, and got the "Go Ahead!" to direct it for kids whose parents just ran back and forth across the Main Street to the two bars in town, barmaid a couple nights a week in the local brewery to help make ends meet, sewed for students in my co-ed dorm, repaired fencing gloves, been in billing, accounting, human resources.. got married… had babies.. sold Tupperware, Amway, Mary Kay… then on to trade-school and a different path in life…

Filled with successes and disappointments, did life turn out the way I once dreamed? yes and no… but what an incredible journey it's been!!! And tho' I often frustrated the mercies of the LORD, HE was there and faithful. There isn't room or time to tell you all HE has done! And there's no time to stand around sniveling, either.

News anchor Kim Singer once said, "It's my life. I write the script. If I want to have breakfast under the elm trees at midnight, I can do that. I write the script."

To that angry teacher and others in that fray, I'd say lay down your anger, and

"SEIZE THE DAY!" Enlarge your borders! Dream a new dream. Write a new script. Let the healthy changes Governor Christie is implementing in New Jersey make you more determined to roll up your sleeves and "Modify! Modify! Modify!"

GOD wants to bless you.folks in New Jersey. Why not submit to authority, and let Him FREE you from the horrible debt that's been hanging over your heads while you can because, honey – I WANT THAT MAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!