• Side Effects: Get Ready to Change Your Insurance

Remember the White House’s insistence that, under Obamacare, you keep your insurance plan if you like it? We didn’t believe it then. Turns out we were right.

CNN reports that AT&T, Verizon, John Deere and others may well drop the health care coverage they now offer their employees. Obamacare makes it much cheaper for these companies to dump their workers into the government-controlled health exchanges and pay a penalty for NOT insuring them. From CNN:

Internal documents recently reviewed by Fortune, originally requested by Congress, show what the bill’s critics predicted, and what its champions dreaded: many large companies are examining a course that was heretofore unthinkable, dumping the health care coverage they provide to their workers in exchange for paying penalty fees to the government.

That would dismantle the employer-based system that has reigned since World War II. It would also seem to contradict President Obama’s statements that Americans who like their current plans could keep them.

Congress could have dramatically expanded health insurance without incentivizing employers to end their current health care coverage. To learn about far better alternatives (hint: auto enrollment in employer-based insurance and a universal tax credit system, for starters), go here.

Posted in Obamacare [slideshow_deploy]

29 Responses to Side Effects: Get Ready to Change Your Insurance

1. B & T, Flyover C says:

Uh, I think this information about Verizon, John Deere and AT&T electing to not offer health coverage is, a month or so old? How come it is dated May 10th?

Thank you, Heritage, for keeping me so up-to-date on the loss of my health care and how I will have to say goodbye to my docs! Most people were predicting this last year before Obamacare became law. Others had the story last month. At any rate, it is old news.

I'll not be renewing my membership next year. Since I asked your office to stop soliciting me for more and more $$$$ I haven't heard anything from you. My membersip was just a few months old and you were already soliciting me to hurry up renew for another year……that is when I called and asked them to stop sending me solicitations for more money. They did.

Haven't heard from you since.

Meanwhile, Obamacare is the law of the land, rationed care for seniors and others with chronic illnesses is on the way. You failed, Heritage. Big time. Don't even think you'll get another nickle from me. Advertise on Rush and Sean all you want. Pass out some more free constitutions. That Obamacare became the law of the land is the egg on your face that won't wipe away.

And OK — I won't let the door hit me in the butt on my way out.

B & T

2. Bette Overk, Bridgew says:

I just don't understand how the president and his thugs can get away with all these horrible lies about healthcare, trying to destroy us with energy costs, trying to take over the internet etc….

Please someone tell me why they are not being brought up on charges and impeached out of office.

I see these things as treasoness, sedtion !!!

3. B Ballard, Texas says:

Surprise, surprise, surprise!! Even Gomer Pyle could have seen this coming. At least he was honest.

4. Lloyd Scallan - New says:

Pelosi said it all when she, in her bright, cheery, "the cat that ate the canary"

surgically enhanced smile, stated "the bill must be passed before we learn what's in it". Most of us knew what was "in it" before it was shoved down our throats. From the very beginning of the debate, it was clear the intent of Obama was to reach his intended goal of "a sigle payer health care system", or Government Controlled Healthcare. Almost every day, more and more facts about the actual effects of Obamacare will have on every American is being learned. The fact that we did not want it then and even more of us certainly don't want it now, makes absolutely no difference to Obama and the Dems.

5. Kevin Habib, Glen Bu says:

The companies haev every right to do so and it will be completely legal.

However, the companies will also have trouble getting the best employees. Good luck getting the best and brightest if you don't offer top benefits.

6. Normca says:

With much respect for Heritage, why not call it what it is ? It was Obama who stood on podium after podium and said if you like your health insurance and doctor, you'll be able to keep it. Not the "White House". And yes we knew Obama was lying then and he continues to lie today. But he doesn't speak to intelligent people; he speaks to Andrew Wilkow's Person "B", the takers. Those who continue to look for Obama's stash. Obama is killing off the donors with money, the Goldman Sachs, BP and the rest [except GE]. He will need the takers to retain the majority this year and get re-elected in 2012. And of course the unions who he gave another gift to today with the airlines and trains.

7. Tim Az says:

Dear Kevin Habib I am interested in knowing exactly how the best and the brightest intend to escape the extreme gravity of this black hole? There will be no job that is not appreciated thanks to this regime. As for the companies. I think if they can survive this regime they will have achieved a great accomplishment. Too many companies will not survive before this storm has played out. Of course this will lead to new opportunities for those who are left standing. Once again prosperity through freedom will reign supreme.

8. Drew Page, IL says:

Private enterprise can be counted on to act rationally when their financial future is at stake. It should come as no surprise to anyone that if the cost of paying a penalty for dropping a company health plan costs less than the health plan itself, any sane company wiould drop the health plan and pay the penalty.

For those who may be unaware, employers who offer health plans to their employees have for more than 50 years been beseiged by endless rules and regulations imposed on them by the various states, the federal government and the IRS.

Regardless of how difficult and expensive it is for employers to comply with all the state, federal and IRS regulations, no one is going to have any sympathy for employers who must endure these hardships and expenses in order to bring a health plan to its employees. If I were an owner of a business and had the opportunity to get out from under all the insurance laws, regulations and IRS compliance requirements and employee complaints about claim problems, and merely pay a penalty that was less than the cost of my health plan, I would drop the health plan in a heart beat. As an added benefit, I could reduce or eliminate the expense of my Human Resources department. I would expect any rational business to do the same.

Employers will drop their employee health plans and choose to pay the penalty. Insurance companies that used to sell individual health insurance policies will get out of the business because they will be required to sell health insurance, according to government standards and rates approved by the government, to anyone who wants it, without pre-existing condition limitatuions.

At that point Obama, his liberals and the all those who feel it's been the insurance companies that have been the problem will have what they have always wanted, no more insurance companies and Uncle Sam filling that role. If your doctor doesn't want to take government insurance, you will either pay him out of your pocket or have to find a doctor who will take government insurnce. The AMA I'm sure will be happy to come to your assistance here. Remember, there are certain medical treatments, drugs and surgeries that government health plans, like Medicare, don't cover. When your claim doesn't get paid, you can write your Congressman, or maybe Harry Reid, or Nancy Pelosi, or maybe even Mr. Obama, if you can find them.

9. BobGlas Ontario, CA says:

Just as it is a federal crime to lie to a federal law enforcement officer it should be a federal crime for the federal employees or elected officials to lie to the public.

10. charles r. mighton o says:

Obama can't even salute correctly. where does he think he can offer a healthcare systemthat will work. I wonder what salute he will demand like Hitler had. He is becoming more like a dictator each day

11. Ben C. Ann Arbor, MI says:

Of course – this was all by design. Perhaps we can use a little Cloward-Piven and overwhelm the system with all companies canceling their health care policies and dumping their emplyees into the government system. Imagine the consequences. For Obama and his buddies – becareful what you ask for – you may get it.

12. Pat Davidson says:

How about "The Government Employees Health Association" insurance?

I think it is still good, even though the rulers voted themselves out of it.

13. klo says:

Nothing new here, came to that conculsion long ago when the details were starting to leak out. Excel and some simple math have been stating different facts then what the government has been putting out for this “reform”

14. stan ellis ladson,sc says:

That was OBAMA"S plan ALL ALONG TO BRING IN A ONE PAYER SYSTEM ………SOCIALIST SYSTEM…..COMMUNIST SYSTEM ……NOW THE GOVERMENT HAS US BY THE BALLS. NOW IF WE SAY OR DO ANYTHING THEY DON'T LIKE…..GUESS WHAT NO….NO HEALTHCARE. THAY WILL KILL US OFF!!!!!!

15. Pingback: The Question Of ‘Real Benefits’ – Blog Watch

16. Janie Preston, Texas says:

I heard one of the very FIRST things HITLER did when he got in office was pass a Health Care Reform. The same thing Obama did. It is more about Control, Socialism, Nazi Regime then HealthCare. I keep hearing this. Anyone?

17. Pingback: Side effect of Obamacare |

18. Joseph Gause, Palmda says:

I am 66, soon to 67 in July, and I have a Cadillac Medicare plus plan with

Kaiser Permanente. You can bet that, come November, me and every

senior, and every common sense person will be visiting retribution upon

the Democrats. I have voted Republican in every election since 1964, when

I voted for Barry Goldwater, at age 21. I despise Democrats; but I also despise

Republicans like the two Bushes, who forgot about fiscal conservatism. I also

admire the Tea Party movement, with its tinge of libertarianism; I wish those

involved could get their act together behind a central rightist, with strong regard

for upholding the values imbued in our society by the U.S. Constitution. I am sick

to death of all lying politicians, of all parties.– RoverJoe

19. Dave, Iowa says:

Obama is pure evil.

20. Don J Rorschach says:

Obama is nothing but Hitler reincarnated and he is using page after page from Adlolf Hitler's playbook with page one being "the big lie" which he uses multiple times each day and every time he opens his mouth. A tax revolt and total rebellion against his Hitler tactics will be necessary to save America as the November elections will be shot through with fraud as the corrupt labor unions and former ACORN employees will be out in full force to insure their Fuhrer is returned to Washington.

21. Matt, Colorado says:

Impeach, impeach, impeach. And I'm not only talking about Obama. Anyone who voted for this vile, coerced piece of writing, erroneously called a "health reform law" needs to be ousted, NOW.

Good gravy America, wake up! Especially to those who thought that Liberalism was a great idea! I'd hate to think that there is anyone outside of the unions, handfulls of Hollywood actors/actresses and federal government that think Liberalism is STILL a great idea.

I for one, am glad that my AG has joined the litany of lawsuits filed against this piece of stench called law. Pshaw-pshaw to those who say that "it's about time that everyone gets to have healthcare!"…cause getting to that point through these means is wrong, illegal and just plain foolish.

I, too, am tired of lying politicians…but lets all keep in mind the "romantic, messianic" campaign run by Obama and keep our eyes peeled for another one that may be coming from him again, or by opposition pandering to our seething appetites for change from Obama and ends up being the "nail in the coffin" for America.

22. Elizabeth Owen says:

The nightmare has begun for our family already! My husband's work carries our insurance.

Previous Plan: Before June 1st/ .$20/copay doctor visits

$15/copay generic meds

$20/copay name brand meds

$50/copay ER visit

NEW Plan: After June 1st $6000.00 deductible required before insurance pays 90%, deductible due yearly.

EXAMPLE: My insulin (Im diabetic.)

Original price before June 1st: $20.00 per bottle x 4 bottles per month= $100.00

New price after June 1st: $125.00 per bottle x 4 bottles per month = $500.00 per month!

23. cliff,texas says:

Am I the only one wondering if all the talking heads in the lamestream media have been exempt from Obama-care? These people know good and well that Obama-care is a trainwreck as they spew propaganda in favor of this law!!! Having said that,they are either exempt in exchange for positive propaganda,or they are to stupid to realize that they will eventually lose their doctor and their private ins. Obama and his cronies don't care how their progressive policies affect the electorate,not even their base,because if they can acquire enough money and power,the electorate will no longer matter!!!!! Also Obama and his cronies have been claiming that they are all about capitalism and the free market.Really…really…then why the heck would BHO appoint someone like Ron Bloom,who says on the record(his own words) that the free market is nonsense??!! Ron Bloom is in charge of reinvigorating our free market economy!!! Why are we not hearing republicans screaming this at the top of their lungs when someone asks them on t.v. about BHO's economic policies??? Somebody at the Heritage Foundation PLEASE suggest to Chris Wallace on FNC to ask the question,"WHY RON BLOOM"??????!!!!!!!!

24. Stu - California says:

I wonder if the taxpayers decide to pay the penalty can we dump the health insurance for all elected officials at all levels of government including the President. Then, they would know the problems that the citizens face first hand with government run health insurance.

25. Freedom's Voice says:

The wheels are about to come off this health care travesty anytime now. Wait for it…wait for it…

26. cathy, missouri says:

all of the democrat senators and representatives as well as obama and biden need to be impeached and then shown a jail cell. they took an oath to protect the constitution from enemies within and without. they are the enemy! we (millions of voters) should stand mute in front of the white house and not say a word–just stare. i think we could be very powerful!

27. Pingback: The Question Of ‘Real Benefits’ | Go HealthReform

28. Pingback: The Question Of ‘Real Benefits’ | Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance Help

29. Dolores Luthi, San J says:

The sentiments voiced by some of the obove commentators are very valid. I am not sure our country will survive 2 more years of the Obama administration due to his spending money like its going out of style and his policies.