- The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation - http://blog.heritage.org -
The Obama Apology Tour Continues: No U.S. Flag in Haiti
Posted By Conn Carroll On March 16, 2010 @ 3:30 pm In International | Comments Disabled
France’s tricolor, Britain’s Union Jack and even Croatia’s coat of arms have been lifted above those nation’s installations in Haiti. But in the United States camp, “whose contributions dwarf the rest of the world’s,”  no flag is allowed to fly. Why? The Obama administration has forbidden it. USA Today reports :
The lack of the Stars and Stripes does not sit well with some veterans and servicemembers who say the U.S. government should be proud to fly the flag in Haiti, given the amount of money and manpower the U.S. is donating to help the country recover from the Jan. 12 quake.
The Obama administration says flying the flag could give Haiti the wrong idea.
“We are not here as an occupation force, but as an international partner committed to supporting the government of Haiti on the road to recovery,” the U.S. government’s Haiti Joint Information Center said in response to a query about the flag.
It used to be that Americans serving abroad were proud to serve oversees under our nation’s flag. Not the Obama administration.
And this is not the first time President Obama has sought to distance himself from our nation’s past. Let us not forget last year’s world wide apology tour , including:
10. Apology for Guantanamo in Washington:  “There is also no question that Guantanamo set back the moral authority that is America’s strongest currency in the world. … Rather than keeping us safer, the prison at Guantanamo has weakened American national security. It is a rallying cry for our enemies.”
9. Apology for the Mistakes of the CIA:  “So don’t be discouraged by what’s happened in the last few weeks. Don’t be discouraged that we have to acknowledge potentially we’ve made some mistakes.”
8. Apology for U.S. Policy toward the Americas:  “Too often, the United States has not pursued and sustained engagement with our neighbors. We have been too easily distracted by other priorities, and have failed to see that our own progress is tied directly to progress throughout the Americas.”
7. Apology before the Turkish Parliament:  “The United States is still working through some of our own darker periods in our history. … Our country still struggles with the legacies of slavery and segregation, the past treatment of Native Americans.”
6. Apology for Guantanamo in France:  “I don’t believe that there is a contradiction between our security and our values. And when you start sacrificing your values, when you lose yourself, then over the long term that will make you less secure.”
5. Apology for the War on Terror:  “Unfortunately, faced with an uncertain threat, our government made a series of hasty decisions. … In other words, we went off course.”
4. Apology at the G-20 Summit of World Leaders:  “I would like to think that with my election and the early decisions that we’ve made, that you’re starting to see some restoration of America’s standing in the world.”
3. Apology to the Summit of the Americas:  “While the United States has done much to promote peace and prosperity in the hemisphere, we have at times been disengaged, and at times we sought to dictate our terms. … So I’m here to launch a new chapter of engagement that will be sustained throughout my administration. The United States will be willing to acknowledge past errors where those errors have been made.”
2. Apology to the Muslim World:  “We sometimes make mistakes. We have not been perfect.”
1. Apology to France and Europe:  “Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.”
Now we are apologizing for saving lives in Haiti!
Article printed from The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation: http://blog.heritage.org
URL to article: http://blog.heritage.org/2010/03/16/the-obama-apology-tour-continues-no-u-s-flag-in-haiti/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.foundry.org/wp-content/uploads/USAUSA.jpg
 “whose contributions dwarf the rest of the world’s,”: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-03-14-haiti-flag-flap_N.htm/
 USA Today reports: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-03-14-haiti-flag-flap_N.htm
 last year’s world wide apology tour: http://www.foundry.org/2009/06/03/morning-bell-president-obamas-top-ten-apologies/
 Apology for Guantanamo in Washington:: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-On-National-Security-5-21-09/
 Apology for the Mistakes of the CIA:: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-to-CIA-employees-at-CIA-Headquarters/
 Apology for U.S. Policy toward the Americas:: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Op-ed-by-President-Barack-Obama-Choosing-a-Better-Future-in-the-Americas/
 Apology before the Turkish Parliament:: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-By-President-Obama-To-The-Turkish-Parliament/
 Apology for Guantanamo in France:: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-President-Obama-at-Strasbourg-Town-Hall/
 Apology at the G-20 Summit of World Leaders:: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/News-Conference-by-President-Obama-4-02-09/
 Apology to the Summit of the Americas:: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-at-the-Summit-of-the-Americas-Opening-Ceremony/
 Apology to the Muslim World:: http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/01/27/65096.html
Copyright © 2011 The Heritage Foundation. All rights reserved.