• Global Warming Ate My Homework: 100 Things Blamed on Global Warming

Late for a party? Miss a meeting? Forget to pay your rent? Blame climate change; everyone else is doing it. From an increase in severe acne to all societal collapses since the beginning of time, just about everything gone wrong in the world today can be attributed to climate change. Here’s a list of 100 storylines blaming climate change as the problem.

1. The deaths of Aspen trees in the West
    95. Plant species climbing up mountains
    96. Deadly fires in Australia
    97. Droughts in Australia
    98. The demise of California’s agriculture by the end of the century
    99. Tsunami in South East Asia
    100. Fashion victim: the death of the winter wardrobe

And the list goes on. The truth is climate change is causing some of these events, but the earth’s average temperature has been increasing and decreasing since the beginning of time. Maybe the increase in UFO sightings can’t be pinpointed to climate change but certainly animals will adapt to new habitats as the climate changes. But climate change and adaptation to it is nothing new. There’s an underlying assumption that human activity is causing the climate to change in many of these stories, but the scientific consensus on what causes climate change is anything but a consensus. Temperatures have risen and fallen many times before and the earth was cooling as recently as the period from the 1940s to the 1970s giving rise to fears of a coming ice age:

“At the first Earth Day celebration, in 1969, environmentalist Nigel Calder warned, “The threat of a new ice age must now stand alongside nuclear war as a likely source of wholesale death and misery for mankind.” C.C. Wallen of the World Meteorological Organization said, “The cooling since 1940 has been large enough and consistent enough that it will not soon be reversed.”

The other implication of this list is that a reduction in Co2 with cap and trade policies like Waxman-Markey and Boxer-Kerry will cure problems as disparate as hurricanes, wars, crime, hunger and…cow infertility. The problem is that no one can actually claim that a reduction of Co2 will prevent these occurrences; one can only speculate that they will be worse in a world that has more rather than less Co2. Given cap and trade’s massive economic consequences and negligible effects on the earth’s temperature, this is a bold and potentially very costly speculation.

Katie Brown co-authored this post.

Posted in Energy [slideshow_deploy]

77 Responses to Global Warming Ate My Homework: 100 Things Blamed on Global Warming

1. Bristish Columbia says:

Big thanks for your comments.

If any person will take time to dig into global warming will find out that it is a hoax.

Just look Al Gore is been Sued by over 30.000 Scientists for Global Warming Fraud.

And is not only Earth that has climate chance but all of our planets and last time I check nobody was driving cars in Venus.

Just take time, the truth will set you free.

I love my planet and i will take care of it but don't lie to me about causing these we are not that powerful.

2. Roger S., Ma. says:

I like best the ones about "severe acne" and "flesh-eating disease":

If only I could get them little parasites to devour my acne, then:

>I could get out sooner to watch my favorite "yard-squirrel's early reproduction", all while assisting my dearest cow in her quest for pregnancy.

>There would be some incentive to devote significant spare time to "raising" giant spiders for their highly elastic high tensile strength thread.

>Devising a way to tap into the "boiling oceans", I could heat our neighborhood's houses for "free".

>I could become as wealthy as Al Gore, or even George Soros, and spend my retirement between fishing the giant "killer stingray" off the coast of Wales, or relaxing to more bucolic views from my new estate on Sweden's cool green summer pastures.

>Should all of this bore me in spite of my best efforts, a short hop in my new fuel cell electric powered hypersonic jet to assist "Tsunami evacuees" in SE Asia, or to investigate "plants climbing up mountains" anywhere, could recharge my spiritual batteries.

>For a final kick I might try rescuing "drowning polar bears" and going cold turkey on my lifelong "Heroin habit".

>"Increased insurance premiums" would be, quite definitely, a non-issue!

————In short, I see only opportunity!————-

(Those 100 "desperate things" don't appear much different from what humans have had to face in nature since immemorial times. And have dealt with best by applying the most advanced science and technology available, as needed on a case by case basis. Most of these problems aren't real problems so much as giant opportunities for inquisitive and inventive minds to investigate and capitalize. On the other hand, my imagination might be outracing the dominant consensus on "do-ability" by those bureaucrats soon to assemble in Copenhagen. Of course, that could be so.)

• Kyle says:

So true! I love your list of opportunities. If the government were not so oppressive the average citizen could become rich off of Global Warming and solve our financial debt of our once proud country.

I guess the rising dollar must be part of Global Warming even though it's because we print money without gold and silver to back it up with then spend away like a drunken sailor. :p

That's actually how dollar bills came out as paper greenbacks: They were used as long as the government had gold and silver to back up the value or otherwise the value will drop and prices will rise as your paper money becomes worthless overnight.

That pizza you order for your party will be twice as high next year at this time and even four times higher if we have hyper-inflation..

In Germany when their dollar fell people had wheel-barrows filled with cash to buy a loaf of bread.

3. Bob Gilbert, Georgia says:

"The truth is climate change is causing some of these events, but…"

…we decided to use them anyway in an article critiquing policy makers because a list of 100 things looks impressive.

Come on guys. You discredit yourself when to try to pull stuff like this and weaken your argument. The amount of time researching that list could have been used to put together a solid argument around key topics. Instead you come off sounding like just another blogger on the web with a vendetta and the ability to use Google.

4. Leon, Durango, CO says:

Big Al, and his Green Crazies are going to kill a lot of people, not Global Warming. It is the asinine response of Demolition Plutocrats which is the greatest threat since Nuclear War. I believe them they will destroy California Agriculture by the end of the Century and people will starve because of their lousy smelt. Like DDT has been banned and many thousands of Africans died of malaria. Big Al gets the Nobel Prize for baloney that will be as deadly as Stalin starving the Russian peasants by confiscating their seed.

It is a strategy to lie a hundred times so there won't be brain space left for the truth. I really want to call Al Gore a mass murderer, but I'm a Right Wing Radical. Rather than call it after the fact, if I say it now, maybe the true proportions of what these crazy Greenies are doing will come to light.

5. 2Cents, Kansas City says:

A list of 100 is actually just the start. Dr. John Brignell, a British engineering professor, actually put together a website (http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm) to document as many links to stories claiming that global warming caused them that he could find, and he's got around 600 or so. Many of them are directly opposite, such as Antarctic ice shrinks…and Antarctic ice grows. It's a great resource for illustrating how insane this whole concept is.

6. Dave, Seattle says:

How about changing #1 to: a dangerously warming planet.

There have been many naturally caused temperature cycles in earth's history. The current warming is not naturally caused.

See a detailed rebuttal to the idea that "climate change has happened before" here:

7. Jeanne Stotler, Wood says:

I heard yesterday that the demise of Polar Bears was taken as a "maybe forcast" over the next twenty years, they are not in danger nor are any other creatures of the north, this lack of drilling for oil is done to keep gas prices high and make them higher. We should revolt against all this muck we are being fed and our children are being taught as being fact, it's fiction,. Lets show these people for what they are and take back OUR Goverment and Country.

8. Tim Az says:

In my area global warming has been a running joke for years. We see something different and blame it on global warming. It is precisely because of the lefts desperation to tie everything to global warming that it is losing credibility with the intellectually inclined. All the ivey league education in the world can not substitute intellect. The DC elitists prove it on a daily basis.

9. Otiose, Tulsa, OK says:

The current economic decline is eliciting similar excuses from just about everybody who needs an excuse for failure — from businesses failures to individual irresponsibility.

If it fails, blame the economy, never mind that most business failures and personal bankruptcies are the result of poor management.

10. Ron, Ks. says:

Global warming is just an excuse for cap and trade to raise money for more stimulus to bogus congressional districts.

11. Mojavegreen, Mojaved says:

I do not buy one bit that man is responsible for global warming. It's Woman that is responsible for it. :)

If the human race is responsible for melting the polar ice caps. Then who was responsible for them melting the last 20,000+ times during the Earths last few billion years of existance? Oh wait do tell me. It was the Cave Women. All those torches that were mass produced and the "camp fire" (for lack of a better term) that caused them to melt. Or was it the dinosaur farts that occured. Or was it that space pebble that slammed in the yukatan pensula that did it? Yes I said space pebble. When you compare that thing to the size of a planet it was a pebel. Deal with it

12. Mojavegreen, Mojaved says:

The Earths waming cycle, i.e. the ice cap melting, is nothing more than a normal cycle the planet goes through. Things will probably get hotter and land masses will probably shrink until the Earth completes that cycle and begins to cool down. All this hype that was generated by a bunch of individules that saw an opportunity to sucker a lot of gullible individuals in to blaming the human race for global warming. Don't get me wrong. I am infavor for doing things that help the planets environment. However, to blame man and his technological advances the sole reason for global warming is ludicris. If that is the case, then please tell me who was responsible for the 20,000+ global warmings the planet has gone through before the human race was able to establish a foot hold on our altering our environment? Aliens?

13. Earl, QUEENS, NY says:

To each his own. As for all the problems that exist, isn't it easier and more rational to just put the blame for all of our nation's problems where it belongs? That is – on BHO and his Dummocratic Party, some RINOs, and the error of some 63,000,000 ignorant voters on 11/4/2008!!

14. Ben C, Ann Arbor says:

Sorry about your luck Dave from Seattle, the earth has been cooling since 2000. Al Gore's computer model worked until then but did not predict the current cooling trend. NASA has documented that solar flare cycles have more to do with the earths temerature than man. Solar activity is pretty much unpredictable but the best guess is that solar flare activity will pick up in the next few years – and once again there will be a little "global warming." If not, the cooling trend will continue. Now, if you could only figure out how to tax the sun Congress will be very happy.

15. Pingback: 100 Things Blamed On Global Warming : Black Bear Blog

16. Pingback: RagingElephants.org » Global Warming Ate My Homework: 100 Things Blamed on Global Warming

17. Erik says:

I think it is interesting that this post was written by someone who has no real experience in science. Nick, what is your background in? Politic and economics, right? From your perspective as a neophyte in science I could see how this is all very confusing to you. Let me help. The reason that there are so many bizarre things on your list is that climate change is a proven and well-understood phenomenon. As such, every research team in the industrialized world wants to tie themselves to it for new funding. Some of those will turn out to be true, other not. This is science. Your list, which by the way has some very real and well-documented effects, doesn't indicate that global temperatures are not rising, just that scientists all want to see how it is affecting their little corner.

18. Pingback: All Hail the Goracle – Ten Miles to Nowhere

19. John, Colorado says:

Saw a bumper sticker recently …. "Global Warming – More Liberal B…S…"

20. dennis.... florida says:

By blaming all this on global warming, maybe George Bush can get some rest.

21. Clint, Murray says:

I liked that. What gets me is that Al uses more energy in his home than most businesses. His penance, he buys carbon credits. What a hypocrit. He, like Obama should hve their Nobel prizes revoked and made to apologize publicly for their unscrupulous endeavors. Although Obama did absolutely nothing to receive his, but do his thing…talk. I have done some research on this subject and too have found that solar flares have a great deal to do with rise and fall of global temperatures, just like what my 6th grade science teacher taught me. The same goes for the earths core. The thing with that is it's kind of common sense. The earths core is molten rock and super heated gases. When lava is expelled, that empty void has to be replaced somehow doesn't it? Maybe the melting of more rock, closing the gap between the core and the outer layer? Not really all of that complex is it? Hmm. I may have just blown this whole thing outta the water.

• Kyle says:

Dad told me somebody saw an interview with Al Gore on TV in which the news reporter had to wait in his home for a short bit. All of Al Gore's equipment were on. He had three flat screen TV's all working and all his computers/lights on while at the same time ranting about saving energy.

I think this world is going to kill itself with stupidity. I am very sorry for the state of this world and wish there was something I could do about it. I hope I do not have to pay for every ones mistakes.

22. Frank, Hampton, VA says:

I agree that emmissions probably have little to do with global warming, however, ocean acidification may need to be addressed. As a lay person, I can only listen to the arguments from different "scientific" camps. I agree with the theory that says we are actually entering a cooling period. I personally have not heard a lot of debate over ocean acidification.

23. AFA, Washington DC says:

Great post. Suppose "the environment" is the most sinister and brilliant disguise for Big Government ever devised, then climate change is the most clever scientific phrase imaginable. Anything that could in any way in the slightest be affected by an increase or decrease in temperature can indirectly claim CO2 emissions as its malefactor.

24. Pingback: It’s all Global Warming’s fault « PachydermsBlog

25. Lynn B. DeSpain says:

The Nuber One Effect of Global Warming—–OBAMA IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!

26. Nicolai Alatzas says:

73. Hurricane Katrina

Judge Rules Army Corp of Engineers to blame for Hurricane Katrina flooding.

27. VIctor Gonzales, Ari says:

George Bush is made of CO2. He is causing global warming, I mean cooling, I mean climate change!

28. Kevin, Kansas says:

I'm probably contributing to global warming right now as I get "fired up" from reading some of this stuff. Wow!

29. Bill Witter, San Ant says:

I find it very arrogant to think that we humans can override God's power in keeping our world on His track.

God is still in control!

30. Trey, Texas says:

I think the global warming fanatics are trying to find a way to make it a moral and emotional issue to try to make it harder to say "no" to global warming.

31. Lyndsi says:

global warming is the scapegoat for a lot of things

32. Emily, Virginia says:

I find it interesting that climate change is simultaneously causing rare snowfall in Baghdad (#26) and early heat waves in Vietnam (#6). Don't they cancel out to equal natural temperature fluctuations?

33. Pingback: Pine Beetles Not a Good Reason for Climate Change Legislation | Conservative Principles Now

34. mangoditreviso says:

You forgot prostitution. Latest ridiculous UN report.

read here: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/177346/climate-change
      Umbelievable.

35. Herman, Souderton, P says:

The weather was affected by for a greater degree on volcanic activities and sunspot cycles than Carbon dioxide. We have four volcanic eruptions two years ago, for example, affect the weather until today. 2010 – 2011 winter will be cold if no other major volcanic eruption from now til 2010 – 2011 winter. We also will have a 2010 hot summer too.

36. Nathan, Rochester NY says:

Being scared of a catastrophy forces the mindless to rely on statist's "solutions"!

37. dennis.... florida says:

Al Gore buy's carbon credits from his own company.In realty, he puts money in the front door, then goes to the back door and takes it out.

38. Mark, Arkansas says:

co2 represents .054% of the atmosphere. That is 5 100ths of one percent. Get it. It is measured in tenths of millionths. Man made co2 is a small fraction of this total. Water vapor on the other hand represents 95% of all green house gas. co2 levels have risen over the last 100 years but the rise and fall of the levels have no relationship to temperature. The co2 levels have risen after rises in temperature not the other way around. co2 levels are at a 100 year high, but the earth is on a 10 year cooling trend. Solar activity on the other hand has been directly linked to temperature fluxuations on the earth. Check it out http://www.almanac.com/content/influence-solar-ac…. I warn you: if you bring science into the discussion about climate change you will be labeled an idiot by a lot of people.

There are tens of thousands of people who are employed by the billions of dollars dumped into the climate change field every year. May be the reason you don't hear a lot of science discussed.

Also check out the movie : "The Great Global Warming Swindle".

39. Emily, maine says:

Awwww! Those poor suicidal farmers! Probably because of the cows!!!

40. Pingback: Idiotic Headline Of the Week « Unclemeat

41. flo, augusta, ga says:

How about we link mind and thinking, join in prayer to the Creator, acknowlege His power, seek His wisdom, leadership, guidance for running our share of the Universe according to His will? And then walk our talk…so a litle more action, little less conversation, please.

42. Pingback: Global Climate Scam » Global Warming Ate My Homework: 100 Things Blamed on Global Warming

43. Pingback: List of things supposedly caused by "Climate Change" - INGunOwners

44. Megan K, Oklahoma says:

This is all so ridiculous. They are trying to blame advanced societies, with a larger "carbon footprint" for the fact that 3rd world countries are not developing at the same rate… We're apparently ruining their land, etc. REALLY? You don't think it has anything to do with their culture? Oh of course not… blame it on the US, that's the way to go… and our President agrees?!?!

What has happened to our country? The people who are arrogant enough to believe that people can stop "global warming" are just plain idiotic! I believe in recycling and trying to stop deforestation and water pollution, but those things are actually linked to human behavior, not normal cyclic events that have occurred on earth as long as we can date back.

I truly hope that people wake up and see that they are ruining our country, before it's too late!

45. Pingback: Global Warming Ate My Homework: 100 Things Blamed on Global Warming » The Foundry « Denthoughts Blog

46. Annette Little Rock says:

The problem is that we the people and for the people are not running OUR country. Big government and fat cats in congress with $$$$$$ signs in their heads are running it for us. Wake up America take back our country before it's to late!! Vote them all out!! Let's start with a clean slate!!!

47. Lincoln says:

Here's another to add to the list.

Social Sciences – Sustainability Science:

* Marshall B. Burke,

* Edward Miguel,

* Shanker Satyanath,

* John A. Dykema,

* and David B. Lobell

Warming increases the risk of civil war in Africa

PNAS published online before print November 23, 2009, doi:10.1073/pnas.0907998106

* Abstract

* Full Text (PDF)

* Supporting Information

OPEN ACCESS ARTICLE

48. Lincoln says:

Yet another to add to the list from http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Default.aspx?id

Women bear brunt of 'climate change'?

In an article published on GMANews.tv, a representative from the Philippines notes that climate change could affect women the worst, as women in that country might be driven into the sex trade as climate change reduces income from farming and fishing.

49. Pingback: Climate Change and the Rhetoric of Belief | Conservative Principles Now

50. Cassie, Wisconsin says:

Read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear!" It changed my perspective on global warming completely.

51. D.Smith says:

The four basic elements of life,1 Water 2 Sunlight 3 Carbon Dioxide 4 Oxygen..OK out of those 4 which one makes the best target? number 3 ..kind of hard to tax sunlight,water,or Oxygen..but the mere sound of Carbonnnnnn Dioxideeeeeeeeee..it sounds pretty scary..But seeing that the Planet produces 98% of all CO2..and man maybe 1%..I can see how Governments would love to TAX the Common man..The U.S. Gov,which is probably the biggest waster of public monies..on the planet,can never get enough,They have a serious (spending) problem,and even if there was a Medication they could take to solve it,they'd probably tax that as well..

52. Lincoln says:

Still yet another to add to the list from http://www.laboratoryequipment.com/News-fuel-vapo

Fuel Vapor Increases Road Rage

Kinawy concludes, "Heightened aggression may be yet another risk for the human population chronically exposed to urban air polluted by automobile smoke."

53. Pingback: Stupid Global Warming Headline of the Day « Unclemeat

54. Dick Wolbert, Santa says:

Climate change is caused by all the hot air coming out of Gore's mouth.

55. Pingback: 100 Things Blamed on Global Warming | EVERY THOUGHT CAPTIVE

56. Pingback: The case against AGW by Son_Of_The_Republic - Page 65

57. brownbeato says:

national ice adapt list understanding case allowing uncertain

58. Pingback: The NonSequitur » Argumentum ad imperfectionem

59. Pingback: Shoveling into the wind: Blizzards and global warming « Climate Audit

60. Pingback: Global Warming Sunday: Snowball edition « Zombiehero's Blog

61. Pingback: Milbank: Snowstorms in the Capital Were Inconvenient for Al Gore - www.comxa.com - Deep Web News Radio

62. Pingback: Milbank: Snowstorms in the Capital Were Inconvenient for Al Gore :Natural Diabetes Treatment

63. Pingback: Wonk Room » Citing Heritage, Dana Milbank Attacks Valid Climate Science As ‘Bordering On The Outlandish’

64. Pingback: Greenhoof » Blog Archive » Citing Heritage, Dana Milbank attacks valid climate science as ‘bordering on the outlandish’

65. Paolo Valentine says:

Is the global climate changing? Sure, just like it has been since the earth's inception. If Global Warming needs to be the catalyst to slow the United States' dependence on foreign oil supplies, then so be it. We need to build the economy around alternative energy sources, not solely for the environment, but to take some power from OPEC and transfer it to friendlier nations like Canada who can provide nickel and other natural resources, that may or may not be initially beneficial to the environment…(Looking at you Prius) If Global Warming threats and charity events hosted by Leo Dicaprio and Al Gore are the necessary evil required to facilitate that initiative, then fine. I guess I can stomach the green movement for a little while longer.

66. Pingback: 100 Things Attributed To Global Warming | Braden's Corner Of The Net

67. Max, Melbourne Austr says:

Note that an unusually large amount of these ridiculous claims are from Australia. We live in a country that has always been hot and dry and therefore ripe pickings for the global warming scam artists. Unfortunately Australia is at the front lines of the global warming scam – we have a government that is full-on with an absurd environmental agenda. If we can somehow kill the global warming scam in Australia, the rest of the worldwide scan should also fall.

68. Pingback: Global Governance – AKA the toxic agenda « Stuart Edwards New World Order is in more bits

69. Pingback: Global Warming Hoax Weekly Round-Up, Nov.25 2009 « The Daily Bayonet

70. Pingback: Hurrah, We’re Saved (Again) ! Euro Area Credit Watch, January 13

71. Nils, Phoenix says:

most of the items in that list of 100 are not laughable at all…they're rather tragic and many have big economic pricetags, and yes, most are linked to climate patterns that are changing much faster than historical precedences…no one debates that these things are happening due to a changing climate, only whether human activity is to blame…

150 years ago there were Zero mega cities like New York, Paris, Rome, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Sao Paolo, Tokyo, Singapore, Shanghai (insert big city name all over world here) etc…Zero of the resources needed to build these cities had been extracted and transported…Zero of the energy needed to make these places livable had been produced…there was zero flight activity (now at 40,000 flights per day), near zero deforestation, zero industrial agriculture, zero major transportation systems, near zero fossil fuel use, zero plastics, zero pesticides, minimal man made pollutants etc, etc, etc

It really blows my mind how these massive changes that have occurred on the earths surface in the past short time span due to the human trajectory can be swept under the rug as inconsequential in the closed loop test tube that is our life giving very thin skin called atmosphere…Can we really feel confident in believing that the changes we are experiencing now are within the same pattern that has always existed in nature since time immemorial even though our recent past has been so dramatically different than everything that has occurred before…Scientific forecasting and political debate aside, is this really a logical conclusion?

72. Pingback: Conservative News from Conservative Bloggers » Blog Archive » Iranian pol: Egyptian uprising caused by "Islamophobia"

73. Kyle says:

No really! People drove wheel barrows down the street filled to the brim with cash just to buy a loaf of bread and often times thieves will steal the wheel barrow but leave all that cash behind since the wheel barrow is worth more in the underground market.