• Is Secretary Duncan Using Stimulus Cash As A Slush Fund?

Great catch by Frederick Hess at The Enterprise Blog:

Was it just me, or did anyone else find it troubling to read the Washington Post story “Democrats round up health bill votes” on Saturday and stumble upon this sentence: “Rep. Jason Altmire, a second-term Democrat who represents a blue-collar district in suburban Pittsburgh, was the focus of an aggressive lobbying effort Friday, taking calls from Obama, Pelosi and White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, as well as Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Education Secretary Arne Duncan.”

I understand the calls from Emanuel and Sebelius, but why exactly was the secretary of Education leaning on a Pittsburgh congressman to vote for the healthcare bill? What did he say? “I’m a former basketball player and school chief from Chicago, and I’m hoping you’ll vote for the bill.” Could $100 billion in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funds and the enticement of $5 billion about to given away in Race to the Top and i3 funds gives the secretary leverage, especially if he promises to ensure that this or that proposal gets “full and careful consideration”?
    Of course, such inducements would be a huge no-no—but the behavior merits the question. And what’s a little wink-wink between friends anyway, eh?

Hess concludes:

Do I think that the secretary of Education was doing something illicit? I doubt it. After all, he seems like an honorable enough guy. That said, the situation raises the same concern as the fawning press release and instructional materials the Department of Education issued regarding President Obama’s back-to-school address to students in September. Given the vast resources the feds are spending and the extraordinary opportunity to use discretionary funds to drive state and local policy, all of it justified by the pleas of “crisis,” it’s critical that the administration strive to avoid the appearance of impropriety or the sense that officials are using our money to serve their ends. Once again, the administration has not only failed to clear a high bar on this count, but has displayed little inclination to recognize even a low one.

Posted in Education [slideshow_deploy]

12 Responses to Is Secretary Duncan Using Stimulus Cash As A Slush Fund?

1. Leon, Durango, CO says:

Pay offs are illegal, especially payoffs by Communist Infiltraitors to buy votes for Unconstitutional Bills. The Impeachment Committee will find lots and lots of payola, quid pro quo, and unlawful waste of American People's money. I don't wonder why Treasury Secretary insisted on no strings attached, spend it any way he wanted. That is indeed a gigantic Slush Fund the Communist Administration is using to promote Communist government in America (all against the Constitution and in the Foreign Interest).

2. Freedom of Speech TX says:

This is the equivalent of a bribe. Sure this is NOT illegal, although it should be. But the result is the same thing.

The government "shift's" taxpayers money to someone if they will support and vote for their agenda item.

The pundits will say that this is how government works. This is how it has always been done.

I say, BS. This needs to be changed. It needs to be made illegal. It is no more than a quid pro quo with other peoples money! This is what we are being taxed for?

These people are shameless. What would these actions be called in the private sector?

3. fiftyfifty says:

Education Secretary Arne Duncan.” didn't do anything for Chicago schools he is just a yes man for Obama

4. Bobbie Jay says:

I agree with you, Leon. I also agree and appreciate your stance regarding the articles of impeachment. These people, we trusted to stand in the best interest of this country. Giving into stolen money to aid in the destruction of America. The weakness of this leadership is unacceptable. IMPEACH!

5. Norton Ma Jerimiah says:

We will need a civilian rebellion against this administration. No violence just stop paying taxes until the 50% that does not pay any taxes start paying some of the way to these welfare programs. I refuse to pay until we stop paying services for illegals in this country. Our unemployment rate would be 5% if illegals were not stealing the jobs americans should have. Also

I will go to jail before I have a policy paid to the government.

6. jumpshot24 says:

Where will the money come from when (if) the Administration pays off its commitment to Rep. Ahn (Joseph) Cao, the lone Republican to vote for the bill. He received assurances from the President that the Administration would work with him on myriad issues (hospital funding, loan forgiveness, etc.) in exchange for his vote. Whence that money? Stimulus money, perhaps? The depth of corruption in this Administration knows no bounds.

7. Brenda from Spring says:

I question where does this "extra" money come from? That's right, us, the taxpayer…..once again, we are being used and abused and taxed without representation. We as a people and a country, are in very real trouble here…..nothing makes sense and our "leaders" are surrounded by communists, socialists and radical revolutionaries. Has anyone else noticed how there are not as many trolls anymore? Many more are waking up finally. And many are Democrats……however, this is no longer a party thing….it is an AMERICAN problem for all of us to deal with or we will completely lose our country, freedom and liberty. When that happens, they will silence us and our faith also. This man Barack is very frightening

8. Lloyd Scallan - New says:

I partially disagree with Norton Ma Jerimiah. I agree we need a "civilian rebellion" against Obama and his administration. But I really feel

it will not make any difference unless more than

"stop paying taxes". We are in a WAR to save our country. We all know what happens in war. It will take much more than not paying taxes to save it.

9. Tim Az says:

These clowns are lower than whale manure. I don't believe they have reached the full depth of vile behavior they are capable of. This is a battle between good and evil. Fortunately it appears that good will no longer sit idly by and watch the spectacle of evil triumph.

10. Rayford Davenport says:

Remember Payola, Boeing and Intel accused of hinky deals. But O K for congress.

11. Jerry from Chicago says:

I am deeply disappointed to learn that my initial judgement of Mr. Obama's Stimulus bill has proven to be correct.

Ever since that $880 billion dollar Stimulus bill was passed, I suspected that its primary use would be that of a bank account for Mr. Obama's use to purchase votes in the House and Senate. So far, it is working out just as I suspected.

Aside from being just incompetent, he has proven to be quite dishonest and absolutely untrustworthy. Jimmy Carter would be an improvement.

12. Phil Ga. says:

They wanted change??? It seems to me all we have is the same-old same-old, but with a new face