• How Pro-life Dems Will Justify Voting for Taxpayer-funded Abortions

Earlier today, The Foundry wrote about Rep. Bart Stupak’s (D-Mich) claim that he and like-minded, pro-life Democrats will work with Republicans to “torpedo healthcare reform unless he gets a vote to strip abortion-related provisions out of the House bill,” as reported by The Hill.

That sounded like good news, but in an exclusive Foundry video of a town hall held in Cheboygan, Mich., on Saturday, it appears that Stupak intends to vote for the Democrats’ healthcare reform, even if it includes public funding for abortion.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URr68joWr1E[/youtube]

If everything I want [is] in the final bill, I like everything in the bill except you have public funding for abortion, and we had a chance to run our amendment and we lost. OK, I voted my conscience, stayed true to my principles, stayed true to the beliefs of this district, could I vote for healthcare? Yes I still could.

However, in an interview on C-SPAN’s Washington Journal on Monday, Stupak said he and about 40 like-minded Democrats oppose public funding for abortion in health care:

We believe, and the majority of the American people believe, that we should not be using public funds to pay for abortion coverage in health care.

Posted in Obamacare [slideshow_deploy]

25 Responses to How Pro-life Dems Will Justify Voting for Taxpayer-funded Abortions

1. Mike and Leslie, Ca says:

Congressman Stupak,

You are NOT true to your principles!!!

You, like liberalism, are a lie!

You cannot sell your soul for a bill that murders the unborn. AND YOU KNOW IT!

Is it possible that, since 1973, all those who were murdered in the name of choice would be paying into the system today? Would Healthcare, Social Security, Medicare be an easier pill to swollow. We think so.

Selfishness (not choice) begot abortion. Selfishness will NOW flirt with aborting the elderly. This is the world you live in.

Shame on you, Congressman!!!

Mike and Les

2. Stupak needs to go says:

This is outrageous. He is all over the news touting his opposition to abortion and then the REAL TRUTH comes out. Amazing. I hope the mainstream media that had him on TV all of the past few weeks brings him back on to explain why he is flip-flopping.

3. Pingback: Will Pro-Life Dems Roll on HR 3200? | www.statehousecall.org

4. Pingback: FRC Blog » In the Know…

5. Les Nessman says:

" It’s worth noting that Stupak’s remarks came just after he announced a policy banning constituents from videotaping his public meetings. "

The lesson here is for citizens to buy the small inexpensive newer video cameras, or cell phones with video. If it's a PUBLIC meeting or demonstration, why should they be banned from recording? Politicians and cockroaches fear the light for a reason.

6. Pingback: Hot Air » Blog Archive » Video calls Stupak stand into question

7. Pingback: Gateway Pundit

8. Pingback: Michigan Rep. Bart Stupak exposed! Video of Stupak from Saturday saying he would Obamacare even though it contains public funding for abortion | Fire Andrea Mitchell!

9. Stan Greer, Fairfax, says:

I hold no brief whatsoever for Stupak, and would like to see him defeated in 2010, but the two statements you cite are probably not contradictory, though he is of course being slippery.

It is highly unlikely Pelosi will allow a floor vote on Stupak's amendment, least not because, according to everything I've read, the amendment would pass if it came up for a vote.

Therefore, Stupak will in all likelihood be free to vote against the Pelosi bill on final passage without going back on what he said at the Town Hall meeting.

I don't know whether he actually will vote "No," mind you. And a true pro-lifer would vow to vote no against the bill, even if he got his amendment vote, if the amendment failed and the bill continued to expand dramatically tax funding for abortion.

But Stupak is trying to thread a needle here, and contrary to what you say, his recent statements are logically consistent, although he definitely is emphasizing different points depending upon his audience.

10. Kelly, Denver, CO says:

Once again, Republicans are completely missing the point and this is why myself and so many others have abandoned this party. The issue isn't what the new health care bill WILL pay for, the issue is that it's not morally acceptable for me to have to pay for anyone else's health care! If I want to pay for someone else's health care, I may do so voluntarily, either directly or through a charity. It's not my moral obligation to pay for anyone else's health care, whether it be abortions, heart attacks or cancer treatment. If you Republicans would argue the core, basic principle of the matter, you might actually see people backing you up again. Ya know, protect individual rights…it's what you claim you are for, but have yet to defend!

11. Al, The Villages, Fl says:

We will see. So far democrats seem to leave whatever principle they claim to go by and vote according to the party line. That is why you cannot vote for dems – they have no principle except to get power and to do so by voting as a block.

12. Tim Az says:

The mainstream media lies on its death bed while the average citizen is left to report the news using cellphones and tiny cameras. What deliscious irony. The mainstream media no longer serves society it must be allowed to fail.

13. j ray ohio says:

The video seems to have been removed from everywhere.

14. Pingback: race42008.com » Blog Archive » Stupak May Vote For Abortion-Funding Health Care Reform?

15. Susan , Detroit Mich says:

The only life Stupak is interested is his own.

16. Susan , Detroit Mich says:

the only life Stupak is interested in is his own.

17. Pingback: digg » Blog Archive » Stupak Will Vote for Reform Even With Abortion Coverage

18. John Roane Sarasota says:

The only thing that counts in the US Congress is self preservation. To hell with the people I must protect my job and power base.

DE OPPRESSO LIBRE

19. Corky says:

It looks like Stupak took a page right out of ole obama's handbook. LIE!I was born in Mich and I know how the people there are..Bet ole Stupak won't be in congress long!

20. Max Putters, Petoske says:

No matter what the Bill on Health care states today, all need to be wary of "future amendments", that in the end, may be worked back into the program even if removed from the current proposed Bill. These future amendments are very likely to be "hidden" by being tacked onto the end of some other Bill, like, defense, space or environment, etc. Mr. Stupak's statements on abortion provisions in the Bill are pure "same old" politics. I had confidence, that no matter what, Mr. Stupak would vote against a Bill with publicly funded abortion. My confidence is now eroded.

21. Jeanne Stotler, wood says:

I want some Bishop or Archbishop explane to me how these so called Catholic's can recieve the sacraments when they legislate against everything I was taught at the hands of Nuns and Priests. Ted Kennedy is an example, yet he was given a Catholic funeral from a cathedral with many priest. Abortion is a sin, there is no question life begins at conception, if it didn't why do early sonagrams show heart beats??, I am a nurse and I have seen "Products of conception" from early miscarriages and even later ones, with today's knowledge there is no need for abortions and I will always believe this. I lost two children through miscarriage and also had a still born, these do take emotional toll. I just read a story about a woman who became pregnant 16 times and aborted 15, she says she was addicted to being able to concieve and abort until she had her daughter, then she started to morn those unborn. Abortion is not birth control

22. Joe Gant says:

Everything Obama has done since taking office is either to reward those who voted for him, or insure his re-election in 2012. It is basically redistribution of wealth (Marxism) as most of those who voted for him are lazy bums who won't work.

The problem with another government program is that it just gives people another opportunity to rob those who pay the taxes. It is time to demand that the lazy, good for nothings in this country carry part of the load. Let's stop all welfare immediately. If you don't work, you don't eat. Period. Give those lazy people who expect the government to pay for their every need a paint brush or a broom. Enough of the freeloading.

"When everyone is in the wagon, there will be no one to push!" We are nearly there.

23. Tim Az says:

Since when do liberals have to justify their actions to anyone but each other? Being liberal means never having to accept responsibilty for your own actions let alone saying your sorry.

How's that hope and change working out for you?

24. Pingback: Why Stupak Will Fold « Nice Deb

25. Pingback: PHONY DEMOCRAT CONGRESSMAN FOOLS PRO LIFERS « THE MILLSTONE DIARIES