• Nannies and the Nanny State

New regulations passed by the Massachusetts Board of Early Education and Care will now require all child care providers – public or private – to follow new strict guidelines covering everything from academics to child hygiene.

The Boston Herald reports that the new regulations are part of the state’s plan to place day care centers under the auspice of Massachusetts Department of Education. In a typical government-knows-best mentality, Early Education Commissioner Sherri Killins told the Boston Herald:

I don’t believe there’s anything frivolous or overburdening in the new regulations. We’re not asking anyone to do anything that’s not in the best interests of high quality care for children.

The new regulations require day care workers, which as of January will be referred to as “educators”, to help kids brush their teeth after meals, devise evidence-based curriculum, and submit written reports on the social and emotional development of the children in their care. The article also notes that the new rules are causing some child care providers to reconsider expanding their businesses, despite high demand.

But child care providers in the Bay State aren’t the only ones feeling the Big Brother heat. The Associated Press reports that a mother in Michigan is under fire for watching her neighbor’s children in the morning as they wait for the school bus to arrive.

Each day before the school bus comes to pick up the neighborhood’s children, Lisa Snyder did a favor for three of her fellow moms, welcoming their children into her home for about an hour before they left for school.

But the state saw her favor as a back channel attempt to offer unregulated child care services.

Regulators who oversee child care, however, don’t see it as charity. Days after the start of the new school year, Snyder received a letter from the Michigan Department of Human Services warning her that if she continued, she’d be violating a law aimed at the operators of unlicensed day care centers.

However, when Governor Jennifer Granholm was informed of the incident, she instructed the Department of Human Services director to work with the legislature to amend the law.

But the incident in Michigan shows the problems with further state interference in early education and care. Amy Cowan, a mother who also looks after her neighbor’s children on occasion, told the AP:

I applaud the lady who takes in her neighbors’ kids while they’re waiting for the bus. She’s enabling her peers to go to work and get a paycheck. The state should be thankful for that.

There is a growing movement that would like to see the federal government increase its role in early education and care, much of which is premised on the idea that working families are having difficulty finding such services. But more than three-quarters of 4-year-old children are already enrolled in some form of early education or care program, and for families who have trouble affording private care, the federal Head Start program operates in every state.

As momentum builds to implement President Obama’s “zero-to-five” program, which aims to increase state preschool programs, policymakers should consider the adverse consequences of increased government regulation.

Posted in Education [slideshow_deploy]

18 Responses to Nannies and the Nanny State

1. Carolyn, NH says:

This is just the Massachusetts legislature's way of easing into universal preschool. Right after single payer healthcare (which they will get soon, thanks to the U.S. Congress), that is the progressive dream. The Left wants to get hold of our children at the earliest age possible in order to begin indoctrination early. Glad I live in NH. Live free or die!

2. Richard, Columbus says:

Stay away from our kids! Kids survived for many generations without nannies!

3. Freedom of Speech TX says:

um, um, um.

4. J.C. Hughes, Texas says:

The federal government should never be allowed to intervene in any such social or educational programs. Whatever goes on in Massachusetts is between that state and its represented voters. Instead of trying to nationalize all aspects of American life so as to satisfy an international community, congress needs to return to our constitutional mandate of limited governance. The current congress and administration are steering our nation toward one hell of a catastrophic wreak at the bottom of the hill. Liberals take note. In the end, y'all have no one else to blame except for that face peering back in the mirror.

5. D.R., Orlando, FL says:

I'm glad my kids are grown, but I'm telling them to start home schooling their kids and remove them from the frightening government run school system in our country. I believe that the states should return to the parents, tax free of course, what ever amount the federal, state, county and cities pay for educating every child in their school district. After all, the government run schools won't be educating their kids. Three kids to home school, tax free, and my grandkids won't have to be latch key kids, they'll have a parent home with them everyday teaching them right from wrong, AND they'll get a real education rather than just learn how to worship at the altar of the democratics and the annointed one!

6. Bobbie Jay says:

How dare they invade in the upbringing of children that they did not bare! This is for the free market at the choice of the parents. Another violation of the constitution and invasion/take-over of parental accountabilities.

There is clear evidence the public school system has failed the children and taught bias and resentment towards one skin color in particular. Promoting a class called "white privilege." they cover the facts of true history for political correctness. They spend more money on social agendas, while neglecting basic, standard, factual education. They are unqualified.

Morals are personal and can be good or bad. The government's certainly isn't good and has no right to purpose any government intervention of government perception of educating/raising children, period. It's none of the government's business.

Obama or any of his administration has no right mentioning the word 'moral" put into the mouths of Americans when morals are personal and his morals are not the same. And if Obama lived by morals, he wouldn't have stepped over the line of his presidential duty.

7. SUSANM/ MD. says:

control, control, control. next comes obama's union people…..watch and see.

8. Brad L, Phoenix says:

I thought the orginal purpose of a "day care center" was to provide a safe and controlled environment for children of working parents. If the people of Massachusetts believe this to be in the best interest of the child, perhaps they should extend these guidelines to every "stay at home" mom. After all, think about the "damage" that can be done to a child who's mother doesn't do these things.

Just think about the thousands of "inspectors" that will have to be hired to "enforce" these rules on every home with young children.

Now I know where the millions of new jobs that Obama promised will come from.

9. Jeanne Stotler, Wood says:

First I do day care, the only thing I teach is to sing a long with Nursery rhymns an to say "Please and ThankYou", we explore nature on walks, watch flowers grow and bloom, a caterpillar spin a cacoon, we talk about Geo. WAshington, Abe Lincoln, the Mayflower, indians and sometimes Space travel, we read books about "Peter Cotton Tail and Winnie the Pooh. They have "Tea Parties, play with doll, dress up etc. What is being imposed is what started in Nazi Germany, called indocriation and brain washing. This needs to be stopped, notice Obama and most of Congress kids and grands go to elite Church run private schools.

10. Jerry from Chicago says:

How close are we to having the government demand that parents, mothers and fathers, be regulated, licensed and inspected by the state to ensure that minimum standards of children's health, nutrition and political indoctrination are being met?

For God's sake, how many times have we seen the courts and child welfare agencies turn children over to parents that have been abusive, to single parents with drug and/or other criminal histories?

But to have a neighborhood mother watch over a few kids in her home till the school bus arrives? No!! The State can't allow that. The State just want's what's best for the children. I seem to recall that what's the teacher unions say when they go on strike for higher wages and benefits.

The only way this governmental intrusion into our lives and the lives of our children will stop is if we stop them.

11. Mia says:

I get to stay home with our kids, and we homeschool. Pretty soon it will be required to send your kids to a govt-approved daycare and no one will be allowed to homeschool – unless we vote these idiots out. I'm worried that with all the funny business going on with the census – and the ACORN-like groups responsible for the census -that we will have a hard time winning back Congress or the Presidency.

12. shari n texas says:

BIG GOVERNMENT on the move… time to re-read the book, '1984'

13. Carol from Roswell says:

I would like to see the Government limit monies in any form to unwed mothers who have more than one child. One child might be a mistake, but when these young women having two, three and four kids with different men and the children tending to themselves – this is why Obama wants childcare from zero up – you can have as many children as you want; they will be taken care of by the government and I'm paying for it. I was widowed early in life, raised my three children on my own, educated them without help from government and it only made me stronger and my children turned out to be caring, giving adults and they still thank me to this day.

14. Bill, Forney, TX says:

Bad news, Carolyn in NH … the lunatics are moving across the border into a state w/ no income tax and no sales tax because Taxachusettes isn't working for them. Unfortunately, THEY are part of the problem in TA and they bring their ideals to the Granite State. It won't be long before you can't tell the difference between NH & TA. The difference between NH & my new home in TX (no income tax either) is that TA refugees aren't welcomed here …

15. Jeanne Stotler, wood says:

I fully agree with Carol from Roswell, I was widowed young, I was a nurse and worked nights so to be with my kids, I had an adult son who was home during the night. There were many times I was so tired I just couldn't wait for day off, then I had to clean house, grocery shop etc. My kids are all grown and turned out great, the only help I had was ME and the fact that I had two grown children as well. Too many people feel that the gov't. should support them. We need to go back to what our colonist had, you work or you don't eat, exceptons were illness and old age.

16. kris says:

I am a mass daycare provider and do you know what the state wants?? "cookie cutter kids!" -duh doesn't everyone know all kids should be the same! God forbid we are different and share different ideas,morals and values. staying with a daycare provider at a young ages -kids should be taught that being different is ok and makes life interesting.We are all given different talents and ideas. Kids just need nuturing and love to grow to be confident people. Manners and imaginations will never flourish if the gov'mt as anything to say about our kids. I am so close to kicking the government out of my home and closing my doors to daycare altogether. I will not help raise brainwashed children.

17. anna, md says:

Wow, I wish some of you folks had been educated in a regulated child care facility. You might have learned how to write a complete sentence or spell, or reason through an argument instead of just thinking to what Glenn and these fools tell you to think. No one wants to indoctrinate your kids — you're already doing a fine job of that. My son, who attends a state-licensed family child care center, run by a woman who is a union member, receives sound early education and nurturing care, and will no doubt be your children's and grandchildren's boss someday.

18. GLENN TEXAS says:

NO SWEAT , JUST GIVE THE CZAR ABOUT THEE SWATS WITH THE BOARD OF EDUCATION AND ASK WHO,S NEXT?