• Shoot the Messenger

There are cries on the left that General McChrystal violated article 2 of the Constitution when he publicly and candidly responded to questions about the military advice he has offered to the president of the United States.

The problem may be that the general’s accusers may be reading a different constitution. They certainly can’t be reading the US Constitution.

Under the US constitution, and the oath that military officers swear, they are obligated to obey the lawful orders of their superiors. You would have to twist reality into a different dimension to craft an argument the General McChrystall violated orders passed down his superiors.

First, the Obama administration approved of both his appearances on 60 Minutes and speaking at the IISS Conference in London to begin with.

Second, unless they told him to lie, there is nothing wrong with officers there candid opinion on military matters. After all, it was the president that charged him with making an honest assessment of the situation.

Third, the general was offering his judgment on military matters which is perfectly appropriate. Admittedly, the choice of military strategy has political implications, but that does not mean the general should not talk on military matters. He is not usurping the president’s authority to pick a strategy…he is just saying what he honestly believes….which the White House never told him he could not do. With all the heat on the president now, likely as not they will tell the general to stop talking to the press, likely as not he will follow orders….because he is a good soldier and good soldiers follow lawful orders.

If generals ever get a lawful order they can’t live with they resign. If presidents don’t like what their generals do or say they can fire them. Its just that simple…no supreme court decision need be applied.

Demonizing generals for being honest about what they tell their president was not something ever envisioned by the framers of the Constitution.

Posted in Security [slideshow_deploy]

6 Responses to Shoot the Messenger

1. Freedomof Speech, Te says:

How dare you insinuate that the administration "may have" told the General a LIE!! How dare you! Not this administration. Not now. Not when they are this close. Not when they are in the midst of re-inventing America!

Then again, it may be true…

2. Mia says:

How else was he going to get the Prez to listen to him – what with Obama's head filled with Olympic dreams and Oprah and such? George Bush wasn't perfect, but I don't think I remember anyone having to go on 60 minutes to get Bush to listen to them when it came to the war.

President thin-skin is all upset because of all the bloggers and Fox News commenting that he should have been taking care of the war and meeting with McChrystal instead of jetting off to Copenhagen with Shelly and Oafrah. Now his minions are taking McChrystal down a peg.

Actually, I think Obama should give McChrystal the keys and let him do what he needs to without his approval. What does a lefty like Obama know about war anyway? The answer is less than zero.

I don't remember George Bush going out for cheeseburgers with Cheney or flying Laura to Chicago for a date night, or smoking, or having White House dinner parties every Wednesday and serving $100/lb beef…or a number of other idiotic things.

3. Chris King says:

Just to be clear to some on the left. Military officers have many obligations and protecting a President's (any President) political career is not one of them.

Many don't know that enlisted personnel and officers take different oaths. I've taken both. Here's the one that Gen McChrystal took: "I,_______, having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States in the grade of _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of office upon which I am about to enter; SO HELP ME GOD"

4. Freedom of Speech, T says:

Amazing how can you take a perfectly good honorable oath and change it "radically" with just a few "corrections".

“I,_______, having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States in the grade of _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the President of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of office upon which I am about to enter; and, if I fail in this, then you can arrest me and shoot me on the spot."

5. Bobbie Jay says:

Obama and the like, can't bring themselves to accept honesty, dignity, strength, courage, self discipline. They're trying to break the military. Obama and the like have countless violations against the American people, yet they dissect anything they can to confuse and convince the public of government's ugly deceptions.

6. Vince Rinchiuso,Texa says:

Isn't ther anyone in the military that wants to save America from Congress,Senators and the President?