• In the Green Room: Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UoSvb8yYwI[/youtube]

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, a newly minted freshman from Utah, brought his laid back, candid style to Heritage at Tuesday’s blogger briefing. Chaffetz won his seat using social media and demanding fiscal discipline from Washington.

We have to adhere to the Constitution, to fiscal discipline, to limited government, accountability and strong national defense. We weren’t actually executing on those. More and more you started asking people about fiscal responsibility and they wouldn’t necessarily associate Republicans directly with that issue. It’s because they had been fiscally irresponsible on that issue in my opinion, and I argued to the voters of Utah: If you want a different result, you’re going to have to elect different people.

Posted in Economics [slideshow_deploy]

7 Responses to In the Green Room: Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT)

1. Bridget Willard says:

just a few typos :/

2. Adam Ruplinger, Spri says:

Jason is an absolute breath of fresh air as a congressman. I am very pleased to have him represent me in congress and will do all I can to support him. I have even seen photos of Jason sleeping on a cot in his DC office so that he can cut government spending costs. It is not a lot but every bit helps! Way to go brother! We need to reach out to our friends and family around the country and encourage people to vote for responsible leaders like Jason for congress, so that we can take our country back from the leftists who are leading us steadily toward destruction. My advice to Jason is to stay the course. Because you are conservative, and a very good one, the leftists in the media will do all they can to villify you and make you look bad, like they did to Dan Quayle, Mitt Romney and Sara Palin. Proof of that is how they misrepresented what happened to you in the Salt Lake Airport with the x-ray machine earlier this week. Please keep doing your social media networking, Jason, so that we will always know who you really are and what you are really doing! Keep up the great work! You and your family are in our prayers!

3. Howard Hatch, Joseph says:

Jason, good to hear your comments on healthcare. Yes, leave it to the people and private enterprise/competation, the closer to home the better. My philosophy is "Good government begins at home." And the closer it can stay the better. Health care should not be a national issue, but a state issue — let each state direct its own, same with education. Howard Hatch

4. Mike Smith, Utah says:

Jason, I think you should listen to Dwight D. Eisenhower's farewell address. We are already spending about $1 trillion per year on the DOD.

As Chalmers Johnson points out in Decline of Empire Signs of Decay, we have a $1 trillion per year trade deficit, and a $1 trillion per year for the DOD. It's a suicide pact that will collapse the economy.

5. Lynn B. DeSpain says:

All the States have left is the Constitution! All the States need to individually become Sovereign and then only be bound by the Consitution of the United States and not the Mental Midgits in Washington DC!

Next, all the States need to push for, "Open Primaries." This is the only way to remove the strangle hold of the currrent two party system. An 'Open Primary' allows for everyone to vote for anyone in a primary election and not be bound to any Party!

Hozro

6. Whicket Williams Kin says:

Don't be fooled ALL career politicians have to go Go find someone you know and trust and run him against this Guy. Just make sure he will vote for I term limit. For ALL>

7. David Gann, Pleasant says:

I've watched this guy all the way from an underdog in the primaries. I am so glad I was able to help vote him into office. While I don't necessarily agree with his strong stance against full body scans (I really don't see any problem with them), I have to loudly applaud his unflinching stance on responsible fiscal policy. I am proud that he is willing to actually put his money where his mouth is, at the possible risk of angering a lot of locals (like my own mayor Mike Daniels). Thank you Mr. Chaffetz and know that we support and appreciate you.