• Congressional Airlines Gets an Upgrade

For some, the ongoing recession means tightening the belt on gratuitous spending. Congress clearly doesn’t share this sentiment. Curiously, they seem to believe now is the perfect time to upgrade their private jet fleet. At a measly $550 million taxpayer dollars, why not?

After scolding “The Big Three” auto executives for flying private jets on their way to beg Washington for $25 billion in taxpayer bailouts last November, Congress is now requesting funds for eight new Boeing 737’s and Gulfsteam V planes of their own. The Pentagon, which handles Congressional flights, had initially requested four aircraft and has publicly stated they don’t need the additional planes.

In reference to the aircraft request Geoff Morrell, the Pentagon press secretary, said,

We ask for what we need and only what we need… We’ve always frowned upon earmarks and additives that are above and beyond what we ask for.”

These aren’t your run-of-the-mill passenger planes either. Last week, the Wall Street Journal reported:

The 737s, known as C-40s by the military, are designed to be an “office in the sky” for government leaders, according to Air Force documents describing the plane. The plane is configured with all first-class leather seats, worktables, two large galleys for cooking and a “distinguished visitor compartment with sleep accommodations.”

Fortunately, some in Congress have begun to take notice. Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) said yesterday,

The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach… It is evidence that some of the cynicism about Washington is well placed – that people get out of touch and they spend money like it’s Monopoly money.”

The federal deficit is expected to hit $1.8 trillion this year; it’s time for Congress to stop spending like it’s a game.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

16 Responses to Congressional Airlines Gets an Upgrade

1. Chris, Tampa, Iraq says:

This is proof that Congress is completely out of touch with the people that they are suppose to be representing. Good for you Senator McCaskill you are a great american, I still can't believe a Dem spoke out against Pelosi the terrible. Good On Ya………………………………………

2. Bobbie Jay says:

Since when has the government of America, become royalty? They force us to sacrifice while using our money for private jets? How hypocritical can you get? Then they continue to fabricate crisis after crisis, increasing taxes needlessly, so they can live up to their exuberant life styles and to make more exuberant?

Time to put the brakes on. This greedy filth must end! They're imposters, deceivers, and must be removed!

3. Carl Daubert Wilkes- says:

Don't you know "it's not do as I do, it's do as I say"

Why don't we buy all members of congress their own jet. Why should the speaker of the house have her own? After all aren't all members of congress SPECIAL? They sure think they are !

They have got to the point that they think we don't know what is best for us, and it is their right to make us see the light.

We should vote them OUT and start over. they forgot that they work for us. The job of the US congress is to Protect us, not take care of us.

Carl

4. Chris Lambert, South says:

Following Joe's advice about the need to spend money to avoid bankruptcy congress continues to spend money they don't have on things they don't need during a recession when when tax revenues are critically low, employment incredibly high, and fiscal restraint the order of the day. The tax revolt is just in its infancy. My disgust with congress is prompting me to take an early retirement because of a growing resentment I have about paying anything to the IRS. The success of Socialism rides on the back of those that are willing to have their wealth distributed. I choose not to work. I choose not to pay taxes. I choose to reject Socialism. I choose to do everything in my power to restore the greatness of the former government of the USA.

5. ozzy6900 says:

Funny, isn't it? Here we are trying to figure out how to pay our bills and put gas in our cars so we can go to work to earn money to pay our bills and our taxes and our gas. And these MOOCHERS get jets? Hell, I can't even afford to THINK about taking a jet somewhere yet I have to fund jets for these do-nothings?

6. Bill Packard, Roy, U says:

I'd much rather they bought two F22s

7. Frederic Cianci, Sac says:

Until someone, or an organization with the means (Heritage Foundation), organizes a historical march, rally on Washington DC by millions of concerned citizens to demand that our country return to the principles of the Founding Fathers (fiscal sanity & limited government), we will continue to be a nation divided on every issue, incapable of governing ourselves, speeding headlong down the road to perdition!

8. Eddo, South Carolina says:

Let them lease aircraft as needed. Much less cost than buying and maintaining the same. This administration is simply addicted to spending!

9. Ron Podolsky, Levitt says:

This spending is outrageous. What's wrong with the planes they already have? Are they not plush enough? Why do they need new ones? I have a good idea – whenever congress wants to spend money like this, they should allow all americans to be able to vote on the spending. It's our money, so why can't we have a say as to what it's being spent on?

10. Richard Albrecht says:

For all you congressman that bashed the big three automakers for comming to D.C. in private jets when they were asking for a bailout, don't you think it is a little hypicritical for you to be flying in your private jets when we have a 1.8 trillion dollar defecit this year and your going to china to ask for more money.

11. Brenda, Woodstock, G says:

Why is it that most Americans are loosing jobs, houses, etc. but yet they think they have a right to "cushy" new jets? My family are all true Americans unlike Obama. He seems to bed in bed with too many of the wrong people that will eventually take this great country of ours to hell in a handbasket via overnight delivery.

How can any President break the constitution and not be impeached?

12. justin wellik cedar says:

Are they crazy in this ecomony and the spending of money they think they need more plans. Its BS it needs to stop the conngress is wasting money as in time it won't be worth anything.

13. Joe Winship Salina, says:

I am mad as hell, and I hope that everyone else is as well. I would like to encourage everyone to donate to or volunteer for their local TEA party, 9/12 group or other community organization that is dedicated to bringing common sense back to our government. Our Federal Government is running roughshod over the constitution with seeming impunity. Please, get your own copy of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution and read it, frequently!

14. Judy Bassett Ontari says:

Guess the House members decided to scrap this idea. It was announced tonight 8-10-09. They either listened to the groans of the Americans or–they had this set up as a hoax to fool people into thinking they were actually going to approve this purchase, and then decide against it to look like a momentous win for the people, in light of the mess that they're currently in. I am such a skeptic.

15. Pingback: Congressional Airlines Gets an Upgrade » The Foundry « Eastaustinvoice’s Weblog

16. Jerry from Chicago says:

Just exactly when did the members of the House and Senate beocme royalty? It's been that way for a long time now, but only lately have they been showing it as openly. It won't be long before they demand to be called "My Lord and My Lady".

I can see it now, one of Nancy Pelosi's Congressional pages comes running into her office with a report of the latest townhall meeting, "MY Lady, the peasants are revolting." With a back-handed flip of her hair and her nose tilted upward, Lady Pelosi responds, "The peasants have always been revolting." "But My Lady, they are demanding answers." Lady Pelosi's parting remark, "Let them eat cake. Now call my limo and have them take me to my private jet. I"m off to rome to find a new handbag for this evenings gala."

Term limits.