• New York Times Fact Checks Obama

NYT’s Robert Pear and Peter Baker lay waste just some of the preposterous claims President Obama made last night.

Obama claimed more support for his plan than it actually has:

Mr. Obama said doctors, nurses, hospitals, drug companies and AARP had supported efforts to overhaul health care.

While it is true the American Medical Association has endorsed a bill drafted by House Democratic leaders, a half-dozen state medical societies have sharply criticized provisions that would establish a new government-run health insurance plan.

Likewise, Mr. Obama said Medicare could save large amounts of money by creating “an independent group of doctors and medical experts who are empowered to eliminate waste and inefficiency” and hold down the annual increases in payments to health care providers.

Far from supporting this proposal, the American Hospital Association is urging hospital executives to lobby against it.

Obama ignored the real cuts in health care access and quality his plan would cause:

Of the proposed new cost-control agency, Mr. Obama said: “It’s not going to reduce Medicare benefits. What it’s going to do is to change how those benefits are delivered so that they’re more efficient.”

Hospitals say the cuts could indeed cut services in some rural areas and from teaching hospitals, which receive extra payments because of higher costs.

Obama claimed bi-partisanship when there has been none:

In seeking to portray health legislation as bipartisan, Mr. Obama said that 160 Republican amendments were adopted in a bill approved last week by the Senate health committee. Republicans said many of the amendments involved technical provisions and did not alter the fundamental features of the bill.

Obama over-promised on the ability of his plan to cut waste:

Mr. Obama said he was not proposing to ration care, but just wanted to coordinate it better. For example, he said, he wants to eliminate repetitious tests ordered by different doctors for the same patient.

Electronic medical records and health information technology, championed by Mr. Obama, could reduce such duplication. But, under his plan, it is not clear who would take responsibility for patients and coordinate care in traditional fee-for-service medicine.

Obama falsely claimed, again, that his budget reduces the deficit:

The president continued to take credit for deficit reduction by making a claim that has been challenged by many experts.

“If we had done nothing, if you had the same old budget as opposed to the changes we made,” the deficit over the next 10 years would be $2.2 trillion greater, the president said.

In fact, $1.5 trillion of those “savings” are mainly based on an assumption that the United States would have had as many troops in Iraq in 10 years as it did when Mr. Obama took office. But before leaving office, President George W. Bush signed an agreement with Baghdad mandating the withdrawal of all American forces within three years.

So Mr. Obama is claiming credit for not spending money that, under the policy he inherited from Mr. Bush, would never have been spent in the first place.

Posted in Obamacare [slideshow_deploy]

32 Responses to New York Times Fact Checks Obama

1. Debbie A, Texas says:

Here's another one to check – Did I hear him say we have been losing 700,000+ jobs a month? Is that correct?

2. Jerry Witt says:

I have been in the health insurance business since 1954, I have been responsible for insuring thousands of people in this country. We have, without a doubt, the finest health care system in the world. Our President and our representatives (regardless of party) could care less about the American people. 47 million uninsured in this country—-probably 75% are insureable but elect not to purchase coverage. Ask Washington for the demographics of those currently uninsured.

If you want to reduce medical costs do something about the liability physicians and hospitals are exposed to. TORT REFORM a must. Thats a joke our representatives are all mediocore attorneys and are not willing to make these changes.

I haven't heard one word from Kaiser Permanente, Blue Cross, United Health Care, Aetna, just to mention a few.

I could go on and on but I am just beating a dead horse.

I have sent numerous e-mails expressing the need for a third party. A party that would represent all Americans. AMERICA FIRST. With the right motivated leadership this new party would sweep this country like a sandstorm.

We need to clean house. The talk show hosts are great but all they do is critisize there is no one talking about a new direction.

I could go on and on but you get the point. There many of us who feel this way.

I realize that our seniors have been placed on the side forgetting the fact that our group made this country what it is (should say was).

Jerry

3. Daniel, New Jersey says:

In last night’s town hall meeting, the President himself said that the biggest driving force behind the federal deficit was skyrocketing healthcare costs for the government’s Medicare and Medicaid programs. If that’s true (and I believe it is), let’s fix Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse FIRST, and use the money saved to subsidize healthcare for poor US CITIZENS AND LEGAL RESIDENTS under the current system! Multiple opinion polls are consistently showing that WE THE PEOPLE don’t want or need a brand new ENORMOUS bureaucratic machine to get in-between doctors and their patients!

We deserve better than being lied to by our elected officials! This legislation must be STOPPED! If you haven’t done so already, please sign the Petition at http://www.freeourhealthcarenow.com to send a strong message we’re FOR health care reform, AGAINST government take-over and further socialization of medicine!

4. albert,campbellsvill says:

Speaker Gingrich said monday at heritage we could save 80-120 billion I think it was in waste and fraud in med.Just imagine if we could cut it in all areas of gov.I guess we will cover illegals like we do now,just wade across the rio grande or wash up on shore in miami and you get benifits.Theoretically all 6 billion people in the world are elligable for gov benifits.

5. Deabra, Porterville, says:

I'm a social worker in Welfare. I see more illegal aliens receiving medical treatment free in the ER and the bill goes to taxpayers. Let's add – make medical treatment unavailable for illegals unless they pay upfront as the rest of us would if we didn't have insurance. They are a huge burden on hospitals and doctors, stop the influx of illegals and stop giving them our hard earned tax dollars. And yes I agree, torte reform for doctor's malpractice insurance is a must.

6. Spiritof76 says:

To Jerry Wit, I agree with you.

I have decided to join a protest rally in Washington DC on 9/12 (Sat). We must show up in force and demand all 535 of them resign immediately. Let us start anew. Those who do not take the oath to put country first and defend its Constitution must not be able to run for any office in this country. Socialists, Communists and all those who want to change America fundmentally need not apply. Bring in the term limits, reduce the salaries of Congressmen and Senators to the income of an average American with no pension, no insurance and no perks. It must not be a career. You must work in private sector to be eligible to run.

7. Pingback: There is a Time for Care, a Time for Caution and a Time for Careful Deliberation. « American Elephants

8. Grace, Florida says:

Obama is in dreamworld. He tells so many lies, he's not sure what's going on. Look, bottom line is this – after all the promises he made during his campaign – and all the promises he broke since his election – do we really believe what he says about healthcare/insurance reform? Do we really trust the government to run our healthcare system. I think he should PROVE he can lead this country before we give him carte blanche to anything else.

9. FireInsideTheMan, Mi says:

Obama rhetoric does not match American reality. We have seen the results of Obama's failed stimulus spending, pork-laden omnibus spending bill, his out-of-control deficit spending and higher national debt than any previous president in history. Why should we trust him with health care reform?

There is enough waste and abuse of taxpayer money in Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, etc that needs to be reviewed and handled before we even start to discuss adding a whole new layer of government bureaucracy on top of the existing failed programs.

10. Jeanne Stotler, wood says:

"As ye sow, so shall ye reap" People voted for Obama because he fed a bunch of lies, and the nieve believed him or some for the fact that his skin color was like theirs, either way they were wrong. There is no such thing as a free lunch. if person B is getting free healthcare than person A is going to pay, it's simple. Listen to Sean Hannityand Mark Levin they tell it as it is, so does Andrew Whitlaw. Time to take back OUR COUNTRY and make it LAnd of the free and Brave.

11. Lloyd Scallan - New says:

This is about the first time Obama told the truth.

My wife and I were once members of AARP. During the Bush administation, we began getting more and more anti-Bush ads. When I looked into the REAL adgenda of the AARP, I learned they are nothing but a left wing group that supports everything

socialist. If anyone that reads this and belongs to AARP, I suggest do as I did, resign your membership and tell them exactly why. They are completely in the tank for Obama and his socialist policies.

12. Jill, California says:

I agree with those who say that tort reform is needed. However, we also need to put a stop to medical malpractice.

I now have permanent damage to my knee because of a negligent doctor. First, he misdiagnosed the injury, telling me I had a torn meniscus when, in fact, I didn't have anything that required surgical intervention. (I didn't learn about the misdiagnosis until much later.) So I underwent an unnecessary surgical procedure.

The doctor failed to get informed consent. Yes, I knew I was going in for arthroscopic surgery. But he never told me there were different procedures and never gave me any choice.

The doctor then performed the wrong surgical procedure. He disregarded the surgical procedure (1) authorized by Utilization & Review and (2) indicated on every preoperative document, including my signed consent form. That's not just negligence. That's battery. Had he told me of the different procedures ahead of time and explained the pros and cons, I wouldn't have chosen the procedure he did.

I blame the hospital too, although my attorney didn't name the hospital in the lawsuit. The hospital had a procedure … required by law … to prevent doctors from doing the wrong surgical procedure. They just didn't follow it. In other words, I got no help from the hospital staff who should have advocated for me while I was under anesthesia and unable to protect myself or speak for myself.

My doctor repeatedly ignored my concerns afterwards that I wasn't healing properly post-surgery. So, of course, the knee was reinjured, requiring a second surgery. And the other knee was injured compensating for the first, so I needed surgery on that one too.

But that's not all. The doctor lost my Workers' Comp coverage for me by failing to be clear, accurate, and specific in his letter to the claims adjuster. Because he can't write a simple sentence … Lord only knows how he graduated from high school, let alone medical school … the claims adjuster got away with saying that the doctor deemed my injury nonindustrial. The jerk spent maybe 5 minutes dictating his disastrous letter. I spend hundreds of hours fighting back, because no attorney I spoke with was willing to help a *volunteer* firefighter with a knee injury. There's not enough money in it.

Because I'm self-employed, the time spent fighting the claim nearly destroyed my own business. I figure that three years of fighting the County's nonstop illegal conduct in my claim probably cost me over $125,000 in lost income. Although much of this was because of corrupt County officials, the doctor repeatedly gave them openings and ammunition because of his incompetence.

Tort reform? Yes, it's needed. But not at the expense of people legitimately injured by negligent doctors.

13. Linda in Texas says:

There has never been a better time for a good and honest third-party candidate. Let's hope someone has the guts to step up to the plate.

14. Jerry from Chicago says:

I agree with correspondent Jerry Witt's, above remarks. I too have been am in the health insurance industry (since 1968) and can tell you that one of the most significant causes for health insurance costs are the "defensive medicine" practices that doctors and hospitals must follow, in order to minimize their exposure to huge punitive damage law suits. This is a gold mine for trial lawyers. If a patient's treatment by a doctor or hospital is unsuccessful, there are any number of lawyers that will demand to know if every sigle test known to medicine was prescribed and if not, why not? "Isn't it possible doctor that if you had ordered such-and such a test, that might have shown a result that that could have led to a treatment that could have saved the patient's life?" Is it a wonder that doctors order every test imaginable?

Another hugh causative factor in runaway medical cost increases are the mandates of federal and state governments. No other line of insurance is more meddled with, interfered with and imposed upon by government than medical insurance. For the past 40 years or more, state and federal and state governments have continually passed legislation requiring broader benefits and broader eligibility for those benefits. In addition to the increased claims these mandates generate, there is a tremendous amount of administrative paperwork these mandates create. Ask any actuarial firm what administrative costs are involved with complying with HIPPA and COBRA legislation.

The American people should understand that health insurance does not insure your health. It insures you from the majority of costs associated with the treatment of injury and illness. Our health care system isn't broke; it's the best in the world. Americans don't go to places like Canada, England, France or Cuba for their medical treatment and care. But people from those countries (with the kind of health insurance Mr. Obama wants) do come here. Why do you suppose that is?

YOu often hear physicians pointing the finger of blame at insurance companies for the 47 million uninsured people. UNDERSTAND THIS, IF NOTHING ELSE insurance companies do not deny medical treatment, nor do they provide it. What they provide or deny is money – the money that doctors and hospitals and pharmacies charge for their services, treatments and drugs. It is the doctor, or the hospital, or the pharmacy that says "if I don't get paid, you don't get treated". Yet, it's always the insurance company that gets painted as the bad guy. If the doctors, hospitals and pharmacies are so concerned about the plight of the uninsured, let them provide the treatment and drugs for free –problem solved.

15. Becky, Texas says:

At last people are waking up and the media is having to cover bits and pieces. I encourage those of you reading to send emails to the reporters actually providing coverage and encouraging them to continue and go more in-depth. Tell them what questions you want answered and that you and your friends are talking about this daily.

We should all hit the NYT website and google "NYT fact checks Obama" to let them know they are doing the right thing.

16. Dennis A. Social Cir says:

This health care bill will start by eleminating many iof the things we need for a quality of life,not to mention many that we need for just living. My mother-in-law saw her eye doctor yesterday and was told the cataract surgery that she had last year was the best thing she could have done. He also stated that this type of surgery would not be done in the future, especially if you are on medicade or medicare. She has worked many years and this si what all those years would and will lead to. I guess if she were to be younger and the surgery would allow her to continue to work and pay taxes she may have gotten it.

The dems and obama are blowing smoke up our leg and telling us the forrest is on fire, it is bull—-, in all its stink. It looks like the doctor told me on Tuesday, his country says you work till you die, or you have no help. The dems and obama really believe this is the way that we must go. The older people will be left to die if the cost of life is to high, we must stop this crap now.

17. Brian CA. says:

"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicine they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyrrany." – Thomas Jefferson

18. Brian CA. says:

While as an independant I understand the urge to throw all the bums out and to form a new third party, I don't think it's wise. That thinking (Ross Perot) is what gave us 8 years of Bill Clinton. All we'll do is to ensure that Mr. Obama wins re-election. Frankly, I'm not sure this nation would ever recover if that were to take place. It is very difficult to repeal legislation, especially an overhaul of a system like health care. What we need now is to elect a ravenously, partison Republican congress in 2010 that will defeat him at every turn until we can get rid of him in 2012.

19. Bryan, TX says:

The Audacity of Deceit:

1. Obama attacked Republican attacks, some of which were totally false, and spun by him to demonize the opposition during his prepared remarks. Then he had the audacity to say that he hadn't attacked the Republicans.

2. Obama inherited an estimated budget deficit just under $500 Billion – which can be confirmed by research. During his remarks he commented on his inherited $1.2 Trillion deficit. Answering a question, he referred to the $1.3 Trillion deficit he had inherited.

How can he possibly expect to be taken seriously when he contradicts himself so transparently in a single press conference?

20. Judy says:

BUT…..he's so smooth talking! He's soo sooo soooooo dreamy! But…..I feel a tingle up my leg!

21. Lynn B. DeSpain says:

The man lies enough to be an attorney! Wait a minute, he is an attorney! No wonder we're in the middle of a hole that just keeps getting deeper and darker and smells like an outhouse come 4th of July!

Hozro

22. albert,campbellsvill says:

Debra,dont forget education,law enforcement(prisons,steet gangs,drug smuggling and other crimes),welfare,food stamps,free rides to work in cali.,taking jobs we want and need(the unemployed,welfare recipients,dead beat parents,people who owe fines and convicts can pick produce if they want to eat for free,We can no longer support the entire world they need to be made aware of this and be deported and stoped from entering,things were different 125 years ago.

23. Christine, Chicago says:

I agree with Brian CA. Lets get him to actually have to keep his promise to be bipartisan because he will have no other choice.

24. Pingback: New York Times Fact Checks Obama | Democrat = Socialist

25. Randall Scott Covey, says:

It's been increasingly obvious that all the plans coming out of Washington have nothing to do with making America "better", nor improving the lot of we worker bees.

Anyone who supports a political party these days, or any of their carefully vetted and thoroughly compromised candidates/politicians, is in fact supporting the destruction of this Country, and the Constitution upon which She was built.

My "Government" is no longer recognized as being morally, ethically or Constitutionally justified to "rule" this People… we Americans.

Posting this all over the web…

26. Linda J Hutchinson says:

It's about time the main stream media (MSM) stopped covering for B.O.'s sorry excuse for a presidency. His portended agenda is only Socialistic now, but if he's allowed any more leeway, we'll be living under Fascism. Or dying, which is more likely.

Until we can off-load the Socialists in Congress in 2010, each and every American MUST stay on top of B.O.'s agenda and mount massive letter-writing and phone campaigns to our Congressional representatives to protect us from him and those he truly serves.

Send the illegal aliens home to fix their own countries. American taxpayers don't need to be picking up the tab for non-Americans on the public dole. We've worked too hard for Americans to foot the bill for anyone who decides to take up residency here without going through proper protocols.

While we're at it, let's put charity back into the hands of the churches, where it belongs. That should free up several trillion more dollars, while providing more help for those who are so deserving.

These are tough economic times brought about by too many hand-outs and too many ultra-wealthy who continue to off-shore our jobs. Let's boycott those companies–starting with Heinz products. I no longer do business with any company that doesn't have its customer service located within the United States. Triple the taxes for off-shored "American" companies.

Kudos to the New York Times! Thanks for FINALLY doing the right thing for America. May more media outlets step up to the plate.

27. Brett, Idaho says:

I used to be in direct sales. One tactic not being employed by Pres. Obama and other proponets of universal (single payer, the true goal) is third party testimonials. Already in the world we have many examples of government run so called free health care; yet I never see the president citing testimony from average citizens from these countries of how much they love their system. Rather, I hear report after report of just the opposite. In addition, I hear report after report of people coming here for treatment instead. If you want to sell someone on something that they don't currently have and are not sure they need, its customary to share with them examples of how well this product has been utilized by their friends and neighbors.

28. Ken St Louis says:

How in the world did we end up with this Anti American, Illegal alien in our White House? He wasn't born in America, doesn't like America, and is hell bent on destroying America! If thats not obvious to everyone by now, you must be blind

! The simplest way to bring America down is Economically! He's going to put us all in the poor house!

29. Ross Writes, Braden says:

The New York Times? Fact-finding? Negative reporting on the most Liberal Democrat President ever? The New York Times? It's been reported that they were lossing readership, but fact-finding and the New York Times in the same breath… has to be an oxy-moron. The New York Times must really be in financial trouble! Will wonders never cease?

30. Ross Writes, Braden says:

The New York Times? Fact-checking the Head/Top Liberal Democrat's pronouncements? The New York Times? They must be in bigger financial trouble than I first believed. Iknew their readership was down, but Fact-checking…New York Times? That's an oxymoron.

31. Pingback: The Crazy-Talk Express comes to Bristol: Taking Questions about Obamacare « Appalachian Conservative

32. Pingback: America’s Health Problems « Appalachian Conservative