• Morning Bell: The Left’s Assault on the Declaration of Independence

There has been a lot of change in recent months – a $787 billion spending bill, a budget exceeding $3 trillion, government ownership of auto manufacturers, government-imposed caps on earnings, legislation imposing limits on economic activity in America under the name of environmental justice. It is increasingly difficult for conservatives to sustain any audacity of hope for moderate policies coming from the current administration.

What unites these policies and their sweeping designs is the progressive aim of “remaking America”—as President Obama said in his Inaugural Address—into a country much more like the highly regulated, secular, and pacifist nations of Europe.

The view of America that dominates the academy, journalism, major foundations, and most segments of the American intellectual community was marked out at the start of the last century by progressive thinkers (learn more about them here) when they launched their grand project for America. They repudiated the Founders’ principles, holding that there are no self-evident truths—in the Declaration of Independence or elsewhere—only change in the constant search for progress without final goals. There are no permanent rights with which man is endowed, but endlessly evolving rights that develop and grow based on new demands. Our fidelity must be to a “living” Constitution that adapts to fit the demands of the times. The way forward is to control social conditions and engineer a better society, redistributing wealth through a distant and patronizing welfare state that regulates more and more of the American economy, politics and society.

Over the course of the twentieth century—as America’s principles were assaulted, undermined, and redefined in our culture, in our universities, and in our politics—we have taken significant steps down this path. The Progressive Movement laid the intellectual groundwork, but the basic infrastructure of the modern welfare state established under the New Deal has expanded in regulatory scope and social purpose under the Great Society and its progeny in both political parties. We are in the beginning of a new and perhaps decisive move in this direction.

Now, more than ever, is the time to relearn the meaning and contemporary significance of the Declaration of Independence and recognize that modern liberalism has explicitly rejected the truths it proclaims.

Woodrow Wilson, one of the most famous early progressives, argued during the 1912 presidential campaign that “all that Progressives ask or desire is permission…to interpret the Constitution according to the Darwinian principle,” meaning that it should promote an ever-expanding set of powers for an ever-expanding government. The problem, he declared, was that pesky Declaration of Independence: “some citizens of this country have never got beyond the Declaration of Independence,” he remarked with astonishment; “The Declaration of Independence did not mention the questions of our day.”

The progressive view rejects outright the very idea, at the heart of the Founders’ way of thinking, of being guided by permanent or fixed principles. As the prominent progressive historian Carl Becker put it in 1922, “to ask whether the natural rights philosophy of the Declaration of Independence is true or false, is essentially a meaningless question.” Such relativism renders meaningless the whole American experiment in self-government.

But denying the truth of America’s principles for the sake of “change” can make no claim to progress at all—a point made with unsurpassed clarity by Calvin Coolidge (learn more here) on the 150th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence in 1926: “If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions.”

We don’t need to remake America, or discover new and untested principles. The change we need is not the rejection of America’s principles but a great renewal of these permanent truths about man, politics, and liberty—the foundational principles and constitutional wisdom that are the true roots of our country’s greatness.

As we celebrate the blessings of liberty that America’s Founders made possible and the sacrifices of succeeding generations have enabled us to enjoy, let us also rededicate ourselves, and strive to rededicate our nation, to the Declaration of Independence.

Posted in First Principles [slideshow_deploy]

64 Responses to Morning Bell: The Left’s Assault on the Declaration of Independence

1. Robert T. Davis says:

PARENTS NEED TO EDUCATE THEIR CHILDREN THEMSELVES ON THE BASICS THAT MADE AMERICA UNIQUE. THEY CANNOT DEPEND ON EDUCATORS NEARLY ALL OF WHOM ARE LIBERALS AND REFUGEES FROM ANY COMPETITION.

LIBERALS ALL ALL CONTROL FREAKS SO THEY LOVE MASSIVE CONTROL PROGRAMS WHERE THEY CAN DICTATE EVERYTHING ANYONE DOES FROM SUN UP TO SUNDOWN. WATCH OUT FOR LIBERALS. THEY WILL BE THE RUINATION OF THE COUNTRY.

2. Jack Lohman says:

Damn that Obama, trying to undo what the conservatives screwed up and all. I think we were doing just fine with total deregulation. I say let's now remove all taxation from the rich guys so they can trickle it back down to us. And create jobs, like in China and India.

Jack Lohman

3. Richard D'Amico says:

Today, we celebrate our independence, the birth of our nation, and I find myself hoisting the Gadsden flag in lieu of Old Glory, seeking protest rallies rather than parades and sitting at my computer writing this instead of celebrating.

I protest to my congressional representatives, who vote for profoundly life changing bills without reading them; I find myself yelling–no, screaming at the television news; and I welcome commentary from Heritage Foundation representatives when they are given a precious moment here and there on news commentary programs, but nowhere do I find a course of action that is recommended to combat the mortal wounding of our Constitution on an almost daily basis by our own Government.

I feel that we may never gain back the freedoms we are losing, and I am looking to organizations like the Heritage Foundation for recommended action (other than voting) to neutralize the current out-of-control Congress and President.

Thank you for your efforts to inform, please help us to act.

Don't Tread On Me

4. Don Naeve says:

I'm 82 years old, a veteran of WW2 and Korea. This is my country and if you believe in the Declaration of Independence then it is OUR country. My concern is what is happening and the progressive movement is destroying our country. That is what the "left" wants to happen and Obama is at the helm of it. I propose a million 'man' march on Washington. A march of devoted Americans that want to make a 'change' and sweep all the politicians out. We need a leader to make it happen.

A leader that has the guts and strength to boldly amass this army. I volunteer to help in any way I can. Will you help me and us to make this happen?

Don Naeve

5. Rebecca in Tucson, A says:

It was a good day when I discovered this web site! I'm astonished to learn there are people willing to dump one of our most important documents in the history of our planet!!! Who are these idiots and what are their motives?? It can't be good, to my way of thinking. I find it amazing how people are willing to believe anything without making sure that it's even slightly true, these days. There are people I have met, who do NOT believe that the German's had Concentration camps, nor that America ever landed on the Moon!!?! Worse, most High School students can't correctly answer the following ??'s: Who's the First President of the U.S.A., Who wrote the Declaration of Independence; and what do we call the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution??? I find that frightening, don't you???

6. Nelia, AZ says:

Amen to today's editorial. The left has continuously tried to reinvent the form of government established by those great statesmen for this great nation long ago. The progressives are bent on more governmental control and power, as is the current struggle. A mandatory clause should have been appended at the end of the Declaration of Independence, that it be read aloud before congress around this time every year with obligatory attendance.

7. Howard Houchen, Hugo says:

Yes, that Darn'd ole Declaration thing! This document is oft ignored by many…Progressive and Conservative alike. For me, it is from this writing that all things truly American follow. It established an American spirit and philosophy that produced the greatest nation God ever Blessed. "We hold these truths to be self-evident…" are among of the most powerful words ever to reach civil society. We are the keepers of this trust and thought. Never can it be allowed to perish.

8. Jeanne Stotler, wood says:

We are living in scary times, we are not suppose to think for ourselves, the president has questions by the press screened, we are being sold to the highest bidder, China. Americans have to wake up and learn what our forefathers fought for and then rebel against the tryany that is going on today in Washington.

9. Richard Cancemi, Arl says:

I wish every American a Happy Independence Day! There may not be many left to celebrate!

10. Charles E. Brown - L says:

Must Liberty be curtailed in order to preserve the nation, or is the nation better understood as an expression of its freedoms? No, it is better understood as an expression of its character and if the American character is diminished or forsaken then so is our freedom, and Liberty then becomes only a memory.

It is the American Character that protects our liberty and our freedoms. Democracy, sound Democracy and the Republic, its rule by law and reliance on principles that do not change, is not a cause but an effect of our national character. Character in the leaders of our institutions, both economic and social, and character in our people. Our character is defined by the statement that we are “One Nation Under God.”

11. PDS, NC says:

It is always "they", "them" the "left" …ect.

Put a name, a face with the title so the American People will know who is set on destroying this country.

12. Jane Seaside, CA says:

AMEN!!! Thank you for your much needed words!

13. Mary N. Lodi, WI says:

Too bad the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution aren't taught more thoroughly in schools. Perhaps there wouldn't be such a huge drive to "redo" what the founding fathers painstakingly gave this country…FREEDOM and a government BY the PEOPLE FOR the PEOPLE.

14. Gary Loftis says:

There is nothing to add. We will either return to the principles upon which we were founded, or we will descend into he chaos of "progress."

15. Roy Duffus, Naples, says:

You and many, many other conservative voices do a great job of explaining what's wrong with our democracy today. I agree with most of the points raised. But the missing element is what do we do about it. We need a comprehensive, detailed, and workable program to change the present direction. I realize this is not easy. And that there is no white knight presently visible. We need to find one and then proceed to get him elected. How do we find him (or her)?

16. MSD says:

I am sick and tired of this "living" Constitution crap. The Constitution means exactly what it says and says exactly what it means. There was a reason that the framers made it so difficult to amend, however I don't think they foresaw that eventually we would get a president that looked at the Constitution as a "charter of negative liberties" or would be upset that "the Supreme Court never ventured into the issues of redistribution of wealth."

Of course, if you are of the opinion that government control of every aspect of every citizens life is a desirable goal to be attained (as President Obama is) the the Constitution IS a charter of negative liberties…. for the government. For a supposed constitutional scholar, he completely misses the whole point of the document….The Constitution was framed to LIMIT and CONTROL the federal government, not the liberty of the indiviual or the sovereignty of the several states.

As for the Declaration, I am sure that since it mentions God it will be declared unconstitutional under the "separation of church and state clause" very soon.

17. Heidi Dyke, Uncasvil says:

While striving to KEEP THE USA A NATION,

and recognize that the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE,

was part of breaking from EUROPEAN ENSLAVEMENT,

THE USA CONSTITUTION, when clearly read.

Is the result of having fought and won indpedence.

In RETRO activity we only refight battles that have already been fought and won, and we waste valuable time, money, and energy striving to be what we were instead of striving to accept the USA CONSTITUTION as a document designed to help us be what we are, A FREE NATION, and keeping us constantly in a struggle, in mimic of FOREIGN COLONIALIZED ENSLAVEMENT is not the answer.

STRIVE TO UPHOLD THE USA, and STRIVE TO UPHOLD THE USA CONSTITUTION.

and stop trying to shove the People of the USA into cultures of other places first.

I FEEL LIKE A SLAVE TO EUROPE, and if not EUROPE, ONE OF THEIR COLONIALIZED SATELITE NATIONS, and if not EUROPE then elsewhere, with no one wanting the PEOPLE OF THE USA to have a NATIONAL IDENTITY that isn't in servility to a EUROPEAN BASED forced hierarchy scheme of their adherents who happen to look like our Government Leaders.

With Great Respect for the tenacity of your publication, its integrity and ability to rise important issues and concerns,

Thank You.

Ms Dyke.

18. Chinookman: Republic says:

I had a short talk with my brother about what is happening as we watched a DVR copy of Glenn Beck. I asked him if he knew what was going on…..the blank stare told me all I need to know.

It is absolutely heart wrenching to see the masses to be totally ignorant, totally entertained about such shallow issues as Michael Jackson (yes, he is still dead)…..

It is frustrating enough to see my Texas elected officials ignore the constituents, and the Main Stream Media so openly biased but the public is not only ignorant but they also seem to be dis-interested……..

So what does one do…?

The topic of progressive-ism which explains the present two party take over by radicals totally escapes my circle of friends and their eyes glaze over……then I get depressed and just walk away shaking my head in disgust……..

19. Jonathan Seid, Willi says:

There is much work to be accomplished by conservative citizens. Our targets should be economic, manufacturing, energy independence, responsible taxation, health care costs and availability. Conservatives must, I repeat with much urgency, Conservatives must stop quoting scripture and leaving other citizens with a sense of going to hell if they don't support religion in the public arena. The biggest threat young conservatives feel is from those that think Jesus was a republican. The mantra will be fiscal policy. Conservatives can win on managing money better and fairer.

20. Ben C, Ann Arbor, MI says:

I am suprized The Heritage Foundation failed to mention the Frankfurt School that moved into Columbia University in New York post WWII. This group is responsible for "political correctness" in the USA and has been fodder for the "progressive movement." The Frankfurt School believed that you should never talk about opposing issues – attack the person and label them a racist or other negative label to avoid meaningful discussions. This group has severely undermined the foundations of our country and democracy and needs further exposure.

21. Dale Tufford, Okla says:

At age 68, I never expected my country to be under

siege from our own government. We have come too

far and too many have suffered and died just to let the clowns in the White House and in Congress

tear us down. We must kick them out of office

as soon as possible. God Bless America !!!!!!

22. Peggy Cravens, Austi says:

Dear American Citizens,I have read all of your comments. My heart ached when I read 82 year old Don Naeve; he loves America so much and has fought for her freedom. Nelia has a good suggestion about making every Congressman to hearing the reading every 4th of July; with everyone of them present. They also should hear it and pledge allegiance to it when they are sworn into office. Mary made an excellent point that it should be taught in school; and instead they teach things that their parents blush at! Ben & Ann Arbor mentioned something that I was not even aware of and that is the fact of Where This Crazy Ideal of "political correctness" came from. I knew the first time I ever heard of this, that it would destroy America but I did not know where it came from and they have given us the source-the Frankfurt School's moved into our beloved America and started the decline.

Yes, there is much work to be done and we must rise up, stand up and speak out!

23. Anne Bryan Bell - K says:

ALL PATRIOTIC AMERICANS NEED TO BAND TOGETHER. REMEMBER THOSE IN CONGRESS WHO VOTE FOR ALL THE PROGRESSIVE (FORMALY KNOWN AS LIBERAL BUT WORSE). EVERY PATRIOT AMERICAN NEEDS TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO DEFEAT THESE PROGRESSIVE-LIBERALS IN THE 2010 ELECTION. OBAMA AND HIS COHORTS HAVE DONE MORE TO DESTROY AMERICA IN LESS THAN SIX MONTHS, THAN ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN. PLEASE SEARCH YOUR HEART, PRAY FOR THIS COUNTRY, AND WORK AS HARD AS YOU CAN TO ASSURE THAT COMMON SENSE, HONORABLE MEN ARE ELECTED TO DEFEAT THE INSANE ONES ALREADY THERE. JOIN ALL SITES THAT OFFER YOU PETITIONS TO SEND TO YOUR CONGRESSMAN OR WOMAN. GO TO GRADE GOV.COM ON YOUR INTERNET. YOU CAN GIVE EACH REPRESENTATIVE AND SENETOR IS THERE. YOU ARE ALSO ABLE TO WRITE A LETTER TELLING THEM WHY YOU VOTED AS YOU DID.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

ANNE BRYAN BELL

KEY LARGO FLORIDA 33037

24. Jack Lohman says:

Dale, our country is "under siege" from the greedy who want a bigger piece of the pie than they deserve. To get it they buy off the politicians on both sides of the isle. People criticize "government," when the special interests own the politicians. It is what it is, until we change the funding of the campaigns to the public rather than private interests.

Jack Lohman

25. Patti, Las Vegas says:

I want to thank Heritage and all who have commented before me for saying so precisely why we all must fight against what the 'progressives' are trying to do. You all have spurred me further to action and to scream out 'I'm mad as hell and don't want to take it anymore." I am still confident that if we all speak out and ACT that the 2010 elections will make a huge difference. God Bless America and what she stands for.

26. KzooBob, Kalamazoo, says:

Our great Republic has fallen victim to corruption, compromise, and complaceny. As citizens we have believed our elected representatives are acting in our best interest, when they are not. We have accepted their explanations without question. We have listened to what they have said, not scrutinized what they have actually done. Remember the adage all parents must rely on; "Actions speak louder than words."

Many years ago I asked myself, why would a person spend a $1 million of there own dollars to get a job that pays less tha $250,000. As the decades have unfolded the answer has become clear. The office of a Congressional representative or Senator has been used by too many to line their own pockets and those of their families.

The comedian Alan Sherman had a line, "A camel is a horse designed by a committee." Successive decades of Congress have brought about too many compromises, less personal integrity, less corporate responsibility, and as always you can follow the money to where the power lies.

Corporations, lobbyists, oil and drug companies in their quest to increase profits have jeopordized the economic, political, and personal health of the citizens.

We need a good house cleaning of those whose integrity has been compromised; of those who have lost a commitment to the founding documents; of those who put their own agendas and wealth above what is best for the Republic. Fewer lawyers and more members from economic levels less than a millionaire. Perhaps Representatives should have one 8 year term and Senators one 10 year term. Then they could look only to the United States business they were elected to conduct, and not have to think or work towards re-election.

Maybe we need to go back to only the Founding Documents and start from scratch with all of the legal mess and misinterpretation. Make laws that are needed only to further the vision of the founders.

It is time to take back America for the people and restore "a government by the people, for the people…"

27. Daniel Crandall, Sea says:

"The view of America that dominates the academy, journalism, major foundations, and most segments of the American intellectual community was marked out at the start of the last century by progressive thinkers … when they launched their grand project for America. … Over the course of the twentieth century—as America’s principles were assaulted, undermined, and redefined in our culture, in our universities, and in our politics—we have taken significant steps down [the Progress Thinker's] path."

Those who honor the ideas on which America was founded and who respect the Declaration of Independence must understand that the work required to reverse this trend, and I believe it can be reversed, has to be done in the Culture, before we can hope to turn the tide in politics. Politics flows from culture. Writers, artists, filmmakers, educators, lawyers, etc., are not waiting for power-brokers in Washington D.C. before they start infusing young people's minds with so-called Progressive ideas. These cultural influence professions got their ideas into the very air we breath, i.e., the Culture long before they became the dominant trend in the federal government.

We need an intelligent, concerted effort to reform the current Culture, which is dominated by Liberal-Left "Progressive" ideology (it would be incorrect to call them "ideas" as "Progressive" ideology is dominated by feeling rather than thought). As long as the Right continues to focus its reform work on politics alone, while only throwing stones at the Cultural Influence Professions, then it will continue to fight nothing more than a rearguard action. And America will continue its long slow slide "into a country much more like the highly regulated, secular, and pacifist nations of Europe."

28. David Sayers, NC says:

A kommie chairman once said to America"We will bury you". Well here it is folks,this so called president along with his polictical thugs are doing just that and we are letting them. We need voices with some fire and guts and represenatives with a backbone to stop this in it's tracks. We can do it,we just have to scream a little louder.

29. Judith Evangelista, says:

Why are there no court challenges to any of the progressive changes?

30. Pingback: Obama compares Blacks & Gays: Hate crimes discriminatory enforcement « GOODNESS WORLD LIFE BLOG

31. David W. Crummett, H says:

Mr. Obama is certainly on the fast track to undoing all that has made America great. Here are a few questions: can we wait until the 2010 elections in the hopes that there will be a better balance with perhaps a conservative majority in the House of Representatives? Also, does our Constitution allow for a military coup to usher Mr. Obama out of office for his unconstitutional overreaches? Finally, for the Christian community, would a good prayer go something like this?: Dear God, please inspire and open Mr. Obama's eyes so that he will begin to govern according to your righteous will. If he is stubborn and resists you, please remove him from office at the time and in the manner of Your choosing. You are sovereign. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

32. Jeff Brodhead, WA (s says:

"Dear God, please inspire and open Mr. Obama’s eyes so that he will begin to govern according to your righteous will. If he is stubborn and resists you, please remove him from office at the time and in the manner of Your choosing. You are sovereign. In Jesus’ Name, Amen."

David, I love the way you worded your prayer. It clairifies the meaning of what I have been explaining to our children. So, AMEN!!

33. Robert Ivy, Dawsonvi says:

If this liberal view of the Constitution and interpretation of the meaning are correct, golly, we've been on the wrong track for centuries before this bunch of egg heads ever came into being, even a gleam in their fathers' eyes. Had the founding fathers been of this persuasion we would not be able to express our views and weird thoughts freely.

Where do those who are propounding these liberal ideas think their freedom came from? Surely not from thinkers and thinkers but from thinkers and doers, who were willing to sacrifice life, liberty and property to achieve the living conditions we so thanklessly enjoy.

Any government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take it away from you.

Look out for power hungry, politicians.

34. Charlotte Newton says:

I'm new to this type of forum but I'm happy to see there are other Americans who are neither confused nor apologetic about their heritage. I'm hearing a resounding call to action but, like me, nobody seems to know exactly what to do. I don't think waiting until 2010 elections is an option. I want to encourage everyone to start by attending a Tea Party tomorrow then organize groups within your communities. Pray daily that God will make us a nation that delights His heart and we will see the corrupt and confused moved aside.

• Danny says:

here is an idea to awaken the masses in a large way. as of yesterday, each citizens share of the national debt is approximately $50,000. apply that to each citizens balance sheet. what happens when said citizen applies for any type of loan with an additional 50k debt applied to their debt to income? answer…..DENIED! would this wake up our fellow citizens enmasse? would this send a million men to washington d.c. and DEMAND that our elected officials STOP wasting OUR personal property? i have attended local tea party meetings that have roughly 40-50 people in attendance. i walk out of these meetings extremely frustrated that there aren't HUNDREDS! until it hits them in their wallet, they just don't care enough to take the time and make the effort to engage. make it real by making them feel, and i suspect that they will awaken. then and only then, what needs to get done, will get done.

35. Larry Haskell, Maine says:

There are times in the course of history when it is (becomes) absolutely appropriate and necessary for me (and others) to remove (dissolve) the political bond/band which links us together. When we, whether a group, a committee, a team, or, yes, even a nation, find ourselves so far "off course" from "our" original intent, it is just such a time (in history). When the emotion/energy/inertia of the "crowd" (of us) takes over the intent of the majority of the individual persons, who are "members", it is just such a time in our history.

To be honest, these are not my thoughts! Although I have taken the liberty to paraphrase, these are the thought of John Adams in a letter to his wife, Abigail, on July 3rd, 1776.

It is incumbent upon me, or you, or him, or her, to stand up and remind ourselves and one another of our original intent! To encourage us to STOP the doing of the work for a moment, climb to the top of the highest "hill" and ask ourselves, "Where is all this work taking us; individually and as a nation?"

Our forefathers chose to separate themselves from the bonds of the bureaucracy of their time. Maybe, it is just such a time, for us to follow the footsteps of those great men. Many would say, "In all things there is a cycle!" Possibly, we are at the "beginning", again! Let us hope you, me and others have the strength of conviction so clearly present in our forefathers.

36. John J. Troini says:

Never before in our short history are these words so relevant: "…we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor…".

37. Phil Davis, Florida says:

As a 20 year veteran of the Cold War I can say without prejudice that the goals of the Socialists is to take over the country. They have spent many decades instilling the principles in our classrooms. Their rise came to a head when the current sitting President was elected. Common sense Americans can only hope that enough people come to their senses. However, the youth vote got Obama elected and these youths believe in entitlements no matter where it comes from or whose sweat they take it from. We are in dark times in our history and theses two roads of Life Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness along with Socialist principles have collided and only time will tell if sparks fly. The elected officials that embrace Socialist principles only want power, however it is achieved.

38. Frank in Seattle says:

Where is the Supreme Court?

39. Gerry Seaquist Phx says:

BO and his group do not care for individual independence of Life Liberty and Happeness. BO is only interested in have the individual dependent on the government.

Please God bless America

40. Charlotte Newton, Sm says:

I’m new to this type of forum but I’m happy to see there are other Americans who are neither confused nor apologetic about their heritage. I’m hearing a resounding call to action but, like me, nobody seems to know exactly what to do. I don’t think waiting until 2010 elections is an option. I want to encourage everyone to start by attending a Tea Party today, July 4, then organize groups within your communities. Pray daily that God will make us a nation that delights His heart and we will see the corrupt and confused moved aside.

41. Hank Ruland, Pinedal says:

Wow, talk about a bunch of clowns taking down our constitution. Hopefully Americans will wake up next year and take action in the mid term elections. This is beginning to get really scary.

Being the ultimate optomist, I believe it can be turned around next year. God help us if it doesen't.

42. Thor, Columbus Ohio says:

Yes it is true Obama is a progressive social liberalist extremely leftist in nature. My question is this Why are we continually burying our heads in the dirt and NOT speaking out. What I mean is that should we allow as Americans as we so call ourselves allow a government to take over private enterprise, whats next when and where we have sex, plant a garden and how much, when and where to drive to and stay for a specific time. Sorry folks this is were we are heading for. The righteous will of Obama is to be Progressive and liberal no matter what,talks alot but can he really walk the walk over time. Will this nation split under Obama were there is one side Progressive Liberalism and the other Constitutionality possibly so and closer than we really think or believe, and if so then let it happen. I will chose Constitutionality over this so called Progressive experimentation by a government.

And why in gods name is it such a rush to push these measures before Congress with out reading them thoroughly. Has Congress really LOST there sense of COMMON SENSE and DECENCY to US, as a SOVEIGN NATION OF AMERICAN PEOPLE of LAWS to abide by. Or is it better to be PAID by LOBBIST and then deny any WRONDOING as that ALL CONGESSIONAL fellowship end up doing anyways,and buckle under leftist pressure because they fear of losing there votes and money to be pocketed in there own pockets for self gain. Where is the COMMON SENSE we all grew up with. WE are America a Soveriegn Nation from the North to the South West and East.

43. A. Terranova, Ormond says:

Make no mistake. The Statist believes and will fight to the bitter end, for his/her belief in the existence of relative truth that evolves and changes over time at the pleasure of those who have the power and control to dictate what is and is not the "chosen" end. Secular religion is the goal of the Statist. If the Statist can get into your head and seduce you into believing that God does not exist, then he can also seduce you into believing that he/she is synonymous to God and that you, too, can become like God. Doesn't take brain surgery; just a little bit more destruction of the Truth and we're there.

44. Pingback: News You Won’t See In The Mainstream Media Saturday, July 4, 2009 — ExposeTheMedia.com

45. Donna Mariano New Yo says:

I have often pondered how come the rest of the world ,old cultures that they are, are so far behind the United States. The answer I finally realized is FREERDOM. Our ancestors were lead here to be free to become. God gave us this land to be free of oppression, free of only surviving from day to day. Free to develope solutions to make our world better. This was done BY THE PEOPLE, not the government. People need to regain the sense of principles and values set forth in our Declaration of independence and our Constitution. It is these values that ended oppresion of slavery. It is these values that ended the shame of segregation. It is these values that ended abusive child labor. It is striving to right wrongs and develope methods that make life easier. It is freedom from an oppressive government to reap the fruits of our labors that has allowed this great nation of ours to flourish beyond the entire rest of the oppressed civilizations and in a brief amount of time as well. Obama and his administration will not succeed in taking our inalienable rights from us. Our citizens will wake up and begin to fight back as our history has always been.

46. Dennis A. Social Cir says:

The dems and obama do not care about the Constistution or any thig associated with it. They are determined to throw it out with the trash. If we allow this to continue we will loose our rights and our freedom forever. Each day a new assault is being made on our freedoms, a new move is made to bring us under controll and dependent on the "guvernment" for everything we need and use. Whe will we say enough and go to the polls and vote these socialists, marxist, communist out of our government. This government was designed to be one by the people of the people and for the people. It has been made into one for the select few and the rest of us are being made into subjects for the "guvernment".

47. Norm, Brookings, Or says:

We all should remind our politicians to get thier hands out of our pockets and thier heads out of the sand or they will be replaced to the man.

48. Peg Fisk Port Cheste says:

I have finally found a place to comment on my Conservative viewpoint and my fears for my country. Every other site I tried had so much rage and cursing–barroom blogs, methinks.

What I wonder about (among many things) is why neither the Republicans nor the Conservative Party is promulgating or using any information outlets delineating what the president, et. al. is doing to our country. Just the fact that the unemployment rate is now 9.5 and that the "stimulus" seems to have had no effect is news to most people. And now we have to face Sotomayor's hearings following the Ricci v. DeStefano Supreme Court ruling striking her decision down. I'm baffled…

49. Pingback: The Left’s Assault on the Declaration of Independence « Conservative Thoughts and Profundity

50. john pigg,nc says:

thanks be to god for all who sacrifice for our dimishing freedoms and to u the heritage foundation for the truths of these saddened times. god bless……amen

51. Scott Perry, Atlanta says:

Wow… The Declaration of Independence is such an awesome document that so many very brave men and women and died to defend. I am not just talking about our military, but also the the founding fathers, the signers of this great document. They knew by their very signature, they would be branded as traitors and subject to loosing everything including their lives; which many of them did. To deny that "pesky" little document, as Woodrow Wilson stated, is to reject the very foundation of this country and everything it stands for. Yet, they say they love this country…. They will be out today celebrating the 4th, even though they despise the true meaning of the great day. It truly makes me ill.

52. Huck Huckaba, Glenda says:

BO and his crew are pushing all of their changes through now, because the rest of the country is asleep. Once they wake up to what he is doing/has done, it will be too late. Also, where is the conservative voice to the masses. We are here "preaching to the choir". The word needs to get out to the rest of the world. HOW?

53. Pingback: » Financial News Update - 07/04/09 NoisyRoom.net: “Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the face of tyranny is no virtue.” Barry Goldwater

54. Richard Morales, Cal says:

Congrats to Heritage for skillfully out-of-context quoting of Woodrow Wilson to foolishly insinuate that some evil force (presumably progressivism) has been responsible for government we have today. Unfortunately, Heritage neglected to mention more significant parts Wilson’s speech. He argues for example, that government is “… not a machine, but a living thing. It is accountable to Darwin, not to Newton. It is modified by its environment, necessitated by its tasks, shaped to its functions by the sheer pressure of life.”

Because government today is what millions of voting Americans over many generations have created, its evolution is PRECISELY as the writers of the Declaration intended. Clearly, citizens continue to vote for progressive presidents and policies. And it is that expression of the will of the citizenry that would please our founding fathers greatly.

You and your supporters (a measly 400,000 compared to the millions who vote each election) may continue to disparage, demean, and ridicule our president, but citizens will continue as they have consistently throughout our history apply Wilson’s words: “Unless we can translate the Declaration into the questions of our own day, we are not worthy of it, we are not the sons of the sires who acted in response to its challenge.”

The power of our Declaration is not as a precious document, or even as a statement of essential principles that produced a revolution … its power is in the ideas it expresses to guide us in dealing with issues such as laws that prevent some citizens from sitting in the front seat of a bus; or prevent women from voting.

Unfortunately, your idea for a better America is to find any "ism" that doesn’t agree with yours – now it’s progressivism – and link it to our president, calling him "an idiot," "a socialist," and calling upon God to “remove him from office.”

For some reason, your idea of debating political viewpoints that have been inspired first by the Declaration and later by the Constitution is to take your commentary into the gutter of scorn, mockery, and contempt. Conservative commentary is able to rise to a higher level and respectfulness – William F. Buckley taught us that. When you follow his example and take on progressivism and other “ism” you oppose, you’ll win back the respect of those you have lost and will continue to lose. Until then welcome Sen. Sharpton, and more in 2010!

55. James E Bauer MD, MD says:

western Pennsylvania

56. James E Bauer MD, MD says:

Thank you for this forum. God bless America.

57. J. White, south Jers says:

The Declaration of I dependence needs to be reviewed by those WE sent to DC to do OUIR work. They seem to forget, deliberately, that THEY work for US!!!!!!!

As for Woodrow Wilson- what an insufferable twit.

WE must rise up and remove evry last drone from Congress- every time an elction comes along, we need to throw out the incumbent- that is OUR "term limitation" right. We do not need anothe silly law to do what our Constitution tells us we can do.

We need to deal with those who disrespect the Declaration and the Constitution and render them ineffective in a most profound and permanent manner. While some may think the radio person- Mike Savage is a nut-case, even crazy people can think- and I think, that liberalism IS a mental disorder.

A mental disorder? Yes, a defintion of insanity is doing the same exact thing over and over again in the vain hopes that there will be a different outcome…what better way to describe "socialism". It, like the lazy who support the premise that somehow they are owed a living withou having to work for it, has never worked and will never work on a free people…Ah there's the rub- they who advocate this idiocy want to do just tha remove freedom- to think, and act as our God-given consciences dictate.

May God help us as we once again free ourselves from, this time, internal oppression- the Federal government..which has only gained its obscene power by YOUR NOT VOTING, and throwing these human ticks on the body public out.

58. Merry Freestone Colo says:

Our Forefathers were inspired of God in their actions to build this great blessed land. As long as we worship God we will remain free and blessed. Too many are forgetting from whence our blessing come. Our forefathers did not forget. They knew they were blessed, that this land was blessed. They were inspired to write the constitution. Nothing needs added to correct principles. If we will live as we should, we will continue to be a blessed land. Too many today were listening to the empty promises of Obama…trusting in him is a grave mistake.

59. Roger S., MA. says:

Congratulations to Richard Morales from IENOCA, our newly formed "51st" state, a.k.a. Iou-Entitled-Nation-of-California, for proving what most of us have suspected all along, namely that the New Left is no different from the Old Left. Not politically — you're still collectivists. Not intellectually — your thinking is as muddled as it is progressively Wilsonian, without his excuse. Not psychologically — you still practice the nasty habit of attributing your own shortcomings to your opponents. I shall proceed with all three contentions.

Let's start with the intellect. Woody followed good debating practice in diverting attention from his real object: control of government, his way, without interference from that pesky old-fogies' document called a constitution. By staging a silly argument between two strawmen,"bad" old Newton the leverman vs. "good" new Darwin the living-creatureman. The new, progressive era would be modeled after Darwin, become flexible the Woody way. Too many people bought it, so he won despite his argument's dripping intellectual dishonesty. (Right there is a good reason for a constitution: it is possible to fool too many people too often. After all, his mentor Goodnow had already declared there to be no natural rights, that individual rights actually derived from the permission of the government, not the C.) Thus the real intent, the attempt to govern and administer without even lip-service to the C., would be concealed. On the other hand, I believe that Woody came to believe his own BS, so at that stage it wasn't so much the Evil Progressive, but the Muddled Intellect who spoke. (Another good reason for a Constitution to protect individual rights!) Btw, the New Left does NOT have his excuse!

Now that we had a draft on such truly believable "progress", 85 years later BO only needed to cash the check! Here we graduate to the New Collectivism: I never bought a Chevy or owned GM stock these last 12 years, and I know why. I never bought a Fraud-Certificate from Lehmann, and I know why; I never bought any AIG product, and I know why. But, I shall be required to pay for them anyway, so that BO may have a leg up with the UAW come next election. Taxes and/or inflation will have bought him their votes with my (future) income. Lenin (the Old Collectivist) would smile and be proud of him. To escape this lovely setup I have three choices: I could join the UAW. Or, I could lower my needs and abilities to next to nothing and sleep in a tent. Or, I could demand a Constitution to secure my rights; individual rights, there are no others. (Ever hear of a "collective right" ?)

Which brings us to our last issue: the psychology of blame-reversal practiced by the Left. How would YOU know which parts of Wilson were more significant? Moreover, reviving the old argument of the two strawmen, Newton vs. Darwin, a lie even in its own day, cannot reempower the Wilsonian contention of constitutional irrelevance in light of progressing statist encroachment with all of its palpable shortcomings. Not even Pragmatism, contending that all is well just so long as the outcome "works", can be supported in light of the known outcomes provided by a century of worldwide statism. The proper pairings in a free society are individual rights and property rights (capitalism), not collective rights and communal property (communism). Any other type of pairing constitutes an immoral society of slaves and slavedrivers, wrong even when a majority of slaves agree. Your implicit argument that the majority is right ("our 400,000 vs. your Millions") is just about the ugliest conceivable and shows your true colors. (Another good reason for a Constitution of individual rights coupled to a Bill of Rights!) It is precisely the "liberal left" who have consistently agitated to smear Capitalism and Individual Liberty, the very ideas which have given you the freedom and power to smear anything at all instead of clawing the dust for your next meal. We shall express our "new tolerance" in good time.

You see, good debating practice wins arguments (also elections) but is rarely conducive to the discovery of truth and often enough fraught with intellectual dishonesty. We have now entered a New Truth era, after a century of dealing with the worldwide results of experimentation in human rights according to the premise that an individual's rights are no more nor less than those his government grants him. This new era will rediscover the Old Truths which your "voting millions" so lightheartedly discarded for a new suit of clothes (which don't fit right) and a chicken (which is never cooked right) in every pot. In California, PRECISELY, this last week, you showed us how that will come about. Good start guys. (Just don't expect me to buy any of your IOU's !)

60. Lynn B. DeSpain says:

If we deny the Declaration of Independance as a Document written in Stone of which we set ourselves as Americans to permanently live by, without change, without adaptation, then we perish and die.

Hozro

61. Barb -mn says:

article states: Our fidelity must be to a “living” Constitution that adapts to fit the demands of the times. The way forward is to control social conditions and engineer a better society, redistributing wealth through a distant and patronizing welfare state that regulates more and more of the American economy, politics and society. Sickening statement and suggestion!

Obviously members of government has NO UNDERSTANDING OF THE CONSTITUTION! These members must be removed! It is a TIMELESS DOCUMENT FOR ALL TIME FOR ALL HUMAN LIFE. It's not up to government to take the DEMANDS of the people. It is up to the people's freedom to do for themselves.

Members of the government of this state continue to amend all they can with bias and discrimination! I can't even bring myself to look at the state's constitution in whole.

The government is too weak to uphold! They take it out of context to appease THOSE THE GOVERNMENT SEES AS INFERIOR. IMMIGRANTS AND MINORITIES! It's an INSULT!

62. Pingback: Must Know Headlines 7.4.2009 — ExposeTheMedia.com

63. alexander Ilnyckyj says:

What constitution? It's obviouse, that this sociaalist/marxist regime cares not for it nor does congress or the Unjust justiceses.So what's left > the new world order founded in congress and constitutioalised by the supreme court. What a joke they made of our constitution so, my Commards, be ready to work for the state and they will provied you with nothing just like the soviet union did to their people. They stil use out house for bathroom and heat there water on the stove. The government now will watch you from birth to death and tell you what and how much you can buy and what you buy and coming soon where you can buy it and that will be in government stores. WELCOME COMMRADS to the New World order.