• Who Decides Your Health Care?

When it comes to discussing the current health debate in this country, there are a lot of complex terms and ideas that are thrown about. But ultimately — as Heritage’s Robert Moffit and U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan explained to hundreds of Americans on a conference call this week to launch www.fixhealthcarepolicy.com — these issues boil down to a few simple questions:

• Who is going to control the flow of dollars in the health care system?
    • Who is going to make decisions about where those dollars go?
    • Who is going to make the key decisions about what kind of health care benefits package you have? What kind of plan you use?

“The question here is not just one of economics, but of values. Who is going to make the decisions about a sector of the economy that has so much direct, personal impact on the quality of your life,” Moffit asked callers.

Some in Congress have introduced legislation to centralize the decision-making power in Washington through policies such as a health insurance plan administered by the federal government, or mandates that employers provide health insurance to employees or pay a tax.

Ryan, who introduced the Patients’ Choice Act as an alternative to expanding government intervention in the health care system, said those efforts will push an estimated 119.1 million Americans  off of their private coverage and onto a public health plan. “The ultimate problem with a government-run plan option crowding out private options is that the government must therefore be in the position of deciding how costs are contained, and that means inevitably that the government must ration care,” he said during the teleconference.

Callers on the townhall-style talk expressed their frustration and concern that Congress’ rapid schedule to pass through comprehensive health reform allowed little time for them to digest all of the details. Ryan said he’s concerned health care providers aren’t aware of how much their business will be affected by the reform measures Congress is proposing.

“I’m very fearful that who’s going to want to practice medicine in a world in which you’re effectively a federal employee? In a world in which it’s Medicare-for-everybody — and the problem for Medicare-for-everybody with respect to providers is they don’t even get paid in many instances what they cost, and care must be rationed,” Ryan said.

Despite the pressure to push legislation through, Ryan said health reform legislation tailored by the Obama administration is not inevitable. “I don’t think it’s inevitable that Congress steamrolls through legislation taking over the health care sector, and the reason I say that is we thought cap and trade was inevitable. And I think we’re probably going to defeat that legislation,” he added.

Posted in Obamacare [slideshow_deploy]

11 Responses to Who Decides Your Health Care?

1. MAS1916 - Denver, CO says:

Very insightful question…."I’m very fearful that who’s going to want to practice medicine in a world in which you’re effectively a federal employee?" And who is going to work in an environment where this President will restrict earnings?

There is a shortage of practicing physicians coming as well. More physicians are retiring than are entering new practice. Shortages always causes rationing and this will be no exception. And when young students figure out that they are actually working for the federal government, they may well choose a profession other than medicine.

Arg! This is so depressing!! ( for a lighter look at the Health Care Scare, you can hit: http://firstconservative.com/blog/political-humor… )

2. Wallace Nelson, Fair says:

The article "Learning from state experiments in Government-Run Health Care" should be required reading for ever voter in the Country. If you want to go back a little further in time and study the Medicaid program implemented in the 60's, you will find out how these programs are begun and how they progress to point of total take-over. I know because we was in the business of Long-term care in the 60's. We finally sold out when we could no longer control what services, salaries, pay scale for owners/operators, how many personel should work and what they could and could not do, and what new programs(not related to health care)that we must offer. And Oh yes, health care declined with each new requirement and unnecessary program forced on us. We were the orginal "Frog" experiment. A frog placed in cold water will sit there and as the heat is increased "slowly" he will remain until he cooks. They slowly turned the heat up until we were cooked. You think you can opt out of their program—not when they control patients, patient care and all or most all the money.

3. Centaur, Purcellvill says:

I agree; the spread of federal power over health care could completely destroy our medical system.

Part of the answer, I believe, stems from who makes the choice: do families choose their own health care, or does the government choose everyone's health care? Who makes the choice?

I stumbled across this website while blogging today (parentalrights.org), and it might be inciteful for this conversation. It provides information on a Constitutional Amendment which would allow parents to direct the upbringing of their children, with the government stepping in only in cases of child abuse/neglect, or any situation in which parents demonstrate a complete inadequacy to provide for their children.

If parents make the call, there is a basis for not centralizing health care under the federal government.

4. Pingback: MUST SEE! Michelle Bachmann goes nuclear against gangster government! « Wintery Knight Blog

5. Abigailadams says:

About 15 years ago, the Kentucky legislature changed our health care laws; they mandated every medical procedure they could think of along with the Federal mandates and it drove out all but two of the insurers in the State. It has been downhill ever since with premiums rising anywhere from 5 to 10 fold. The powers to be don't know what they are doing; they just kowtow to every interest group to get votes; change the system; stay in power and we suffer for it.

If the Federal government thinks it can wring a 30% efficiency savings out of our health care dollars, doing it better than the "profiteer" there is something seriously wrong with the "thinkers." They aren't thinking; they are all about "controlling." The problem with the perceived 30% waste is "they caused it to begin with."

The new analysis report just released did not deal one bit with tort reform or fraud. Will the taxpayers become an unlimited "pot of gold" for the trial lawyers, just like the malpractice insurance industry is now? I think so.

Will forensic crime increase under a government run bureaucracy? I think so. Crime a level not seen since the prohibition era. The fraud will include "class action" suits brought by huge law firms, provider fraud in all medical professions from pharmaceuticals to physical therapy. None of this was even addressed.

The IRS estimates that only 3% of tax cheats are caught (and then it's usually when they are nominated for a federal job). How many "cheats" will be caught in the health care program?

The profit motive in our Country is not a curse. Yes, it can be abused, but it is still the best system around for delivering the goods and services that consumers need and want. When the "government" man devises a system that will prevent the looters/cheats/criminals from participating in it, then maybe I'll bite. But it wouldn't be a very big one.

6. Pingback: Morning Conservative Reading List - June 12, 2009 - AIP Blog - American Issues Project

7. Barb -mn says:

People claiming to be "patients" whom the doctor knows or maybe just following government procedure, work in unqualified to make by doctors authorization, qualified to receive government programs and subsidies. Where there is government in our domestic affairs is FRAUD.

Free market, no taxpayers money necessary, will hold accountable and not likely to happen.

8. Fernando, Houston says:

Nancy Pelosi was in Houston last night (June 12, 2009). The local newspaper, the Houston Chronicle, has as of yet, failed to report on the approximately 1,000 protesters that respectfully demonstrated their dissapproval of the wasteful spending, release of alleged improper treatment photos, and health care reform.

You can read about the protest at http://www.politicafe.com/pblog/?p=1187

9. Susan Ruth, Warren, says:

All I know is that I am scared to death of this administration and their desire to take over everything, including and especially, health care. Just listen to people from Canada and Great Britain and their scare stories. This cannot and must not happen. God help us.

10. Carolyn Troiano, Che says:

My name is Carolyn Troiano, and I need help going after Obama for a major Free Speech violation. He is violating my First Amendment right to free speech by trying to prevent me from voicing my opinions on a tax-deductible contribution supported internet site.

If you go to My.BarackObama.com, a website funded by tax-deductible money, you will see how they’ve set up tools and other resources to help people push the Obama agenda forward – the topic du jour is healthcare reform. People are told to create and attend events that are supportive of Obama. This is how they stole the election.

So to turn the tables, I went on the site and created my own event, a “GIGANTIC TEA PARTY” up on Long Island in my hometown of Merrick.

I set this up as a “Take Back Our America” event, and spread the WEALTH (Watch Every American Learn about Healthcare reform) like the Tea Parties of late, and included posted a call for all like-minded citizens to join me. All of the information is at my website:

The Obama webmaster responded by email saying my words were disrespectful, and that they had taken my event off the website.

The warning stated that this was a one-time warning, and if I did this again, I would have my access to the website taken away.

So what’s a girl to do? Create another event. This time it’s in Chesterfield, VA, this coming Saturday, June 20th, at my home or in spirit with me, and I made sure there is room for 1 billion people, in case those disgruntled Iranian voters want to revolt and join our cause too.

I led the charge to taking back America with a simple statement to the President –

“Mr. Obama, tear down that firewall!”

That’s my motto, and I’m taking this as far as I possibly can. Ronald Reagan must be turning over in his grave!

I’m seeking your help to give some visibility to this fight and let the Obama dictatorship know we will not stand idly by while our own tax dollars continue to be squandered on his Socialist agenda.

So let me know if you can help, and if you have any suggestions for ramping this up and getting all Americans to understand what’s going on here. Most have no clue.

Thanks for your time and attention!

Regards,