• Obama's Health Reform Savings Myth

Last week we detailed the absurdity of the Obama administration’s claims that they could control health care costs by ADDING millions of America into government run health care. This Sunday, the New America Foundation’s Maya MacGuineas also attacked Obama’s Health Reform’s Savings Myth:

“Health-care reform is entitlement reform” has become a mantra of the Obama administration. The idea is that Congress can add a massive health-care program this year — covering the uninsured — and use the same measures that pay for the health reform to fix the broader budget problems. If that sounds too good to be true, there’s a reason.

Expanding insurance to cover the 46 million Americans who are uninsured would probably cost more than $100 billion a year — more than the federal government spends on education, training, employment and social services combined. It is an immense undertaking at a time when the budget is under terrible strain. So it’s no surprise that Democrats and the Obama administration do not want to portray it simply as another big entitlement program.

Some argue that universal coverage would decrease costs by expanding the risk pool (bringing healthy young people into the system) and by decreasing emergency room costs, because more people would get care before their illnesses become acute. There’s truth to both, but the savings are vastly outweighed by the costs of treating so many people who today get little or no care. Expanding insurance coverage would increase health-care spending by those who acquire insurance and add to overall health cost inflation.

Read the whole thing.

Posted in Obamacare [slideshow_deploy]

7 Responses to Obama's Health Reform Savings Myth

1. Frank, Michigan says:

If the majority of American Citizen want Government run Health Care its the Governments job to find a way to do that. Its not the Government or the President its the majority of American Citizen that want Health Care. I think Congress will give us the best plan possible that won't tank the economy.

2. John W Ross, PE---Su says:

When is the Republican Party going to stand up and start telling the truth about our Socialist, Authoritarian President. The fact that they are in the moinority does not change the fact that the misguided electorate voted for Obama out of ignorance. The Republican must stand up and start telling the truth to the American people and turn around the wholesale destruction of our Country.

3. Matt, Boise says:

I can't find the part in the constitution, or other founding documents, where any citizen in this country is guaranteed health insurance. Evidently some politicians think they've found this magical document as evidenced by their massive attempt to intrude into my health matters.

No matter how bad things get for me economically, I know the government has no obligation or authority to spend other people money (taxes) on me for entitlement programs. The government is not here to provide for me. The government was given only the power to protect my life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, not my health care.

It's as simple as that.

4. Barb -mn says:

I don't think we have private health insurance anymore? Too many things are being hidden from those of us that pay for it. Previously, I paid my doctors clinic directly. Out of the clear blue I was being billed by Alina, whom butted into my doctors clinic. Found out just recently, Alina provides for those who don't pay. Welfare recipients. What's going on? I've suspected the high costs to those responsibly paying for their own, are the ones held accountable to those that don't. That's not fair.

5. Dave,Vermont says:

Having written to my Senator,Bermie Sanders,about the track record of government run health care:the Veterans Administration;I can't help but feel terrified that folks actually believe it will work.

Most of Bernies "shining moments"are when he made the VA do what was needed for a Vet.Who will we call when we need care?

6. dan nyc says:

As a physician I am petrified of what will happen to our most vulnerable when we are unable to pay for the promises we are making. The oldest, sickest will be denied care. There is no doubt about it. A system of quality adjusted life years already being discussed in some states, where scarce resources are doled out based on the patient's likely outcome- i.e. how many years of high functioning quality will this treatment give the patient will have to be employed- basically rationing. And for those who think they have private insurance- think again- THE ONLY WAY FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO CONTROL COSTS IS TO CONTROL THE SYSTEM ENTIRELY. Read Tom daschle's book- he makes no bones about that.

7. Carolyn Troiano, Che says:

My name is Carolyn Troiano, and I need help going after Obama for a major Free Speech violation. He is violating my First Amendment right to free speech by trying to prevent me from voicing my opinions on a tax-deductible contribution supported internet site.

If you go to My.BarackObama.com, a website funded by tax-deductible money, you will see how they’ve set up tools and other resources to help people push the Obama agenda forward – the topic du jour is healthcare reform. People are told to create and attend events that are supportive of Obama. This is how they stole the election.

So to turn the tables, I went on the site and created my own event, a “GIGANTIC TEA PARTY” up on Long Island in my hometown of Merrick.

I set this up as a “Take Back Our America” event, and spread the WEALTH (Watch Every American Learn about Healthcare reform) like the Tea Parties of late, and included posted a call for all like-minded citizens to join me. All of the information is at my website:

The Obama webmaster responded by email saying my words were disrespectful, and that they had taken my event off the website.

The warning stated that this was a one-time warning, and if I did this again, I would have my access to the website taken away.

So what’s a girl to do? Create another event. This time it’s in Chesterfield, VA, this coming Saturday, June 20th, at my home or in spirit with me, and I made sure there is room for 1 billion people, in case those disgruntled Iranian voters want to revolt and join our cause too.

I led the charge to taking back America with a simple statement to the President –

“Mr. Obama, tear down that firewall!”

That’s my motto, and I’m taking this as far as I possibly can. Ronald Reagan must be turning over in his grave!

I’m seeking your help to give some visibility to this fight and let the Obama dictatorship know we will not stand idly by while our own tax dollars continue to be squandered on his Socialist agenda.

So let me know if you can help, and if you have any suggestions for ramping this up and getting all Americans to understand what’s going on here. Most have no clue.

Thanks for your time and attention!

Regards,