• File This in the Category of Global Warming Absurdity

“Changing our lifestyles, including our diets, is going to be one of the crucial elements in cutting carbon emissions,” says David Kennedy, the UK’s chief executive of the Committee on Climate Change.

Apparently that includes giving up carbon-intensive food:

Government advisers are developing menus to combat climate change by cutting out “high carbon” food such as meat from sheep, whose burping poses a serious threat to the environment.

A government-sponsored study into greenhouse gases found that producing 2.2lb of lamb released the equivalent of 37lb of carbon dioxide.

The problem is because sheep burp so much methane, a potent greenhouse gas. Cows are only slightly better behaved. The production of 2.2lb of beef releases methane equivalent to 35lb of CO2 Tomatoes, most of which are grown in heated glasshouses, are the most “carbon-intensive” vegetable, each 2.2lb generating more than 20lb of CO2 Potatoes, in contrast, release only about 1lb of CO2 for each 2.2lb of food. The figures are similar for most other native fruit and vegetables.

Alcoholic drinks are another significant contributory factor, with the growing and processing of crops such as hops and malt into beer and whisky helping to generate 1.5% of the nation’s greenhouse gases. ”

Capping carbon dioxide is less about changing the environment and more about political elitists forcing people to change their behavior. If politicians are going to make businesses reduce carbon emissions through rationing, why not take it one socialist step further and ration carbon emissions per person. This way, politicians, actors and other elitists espousing the need for consumers to cut back on their lamb and beef consumption while they fly around in private jets and take a fleet of SUVs from one block to the next.

Global warming policy can sound pretty good one sound byte at a time for politicians trying to sell it as a costless way to save the environment. But as Americans learn more, they are buying it a lot less because they’re beginning to understand that a cap-and-trade program to reduce carbon dioxide emissions is nothing more than a regressive tax that will raise energy prices and cost Americans jobs – all for little, if any, environmental gain.

It is shaping up that if Congress passes any version of a global warming bill, just like the stimulus spending, it will come with large public dissent. According to a recent Rasmussen poll:

Just one-out-of-three voters (34%) now believe global warming is caused by human activity, the lowest finding yet in Rasmussen Reports national surveying. However, a plurality (48%) of the Political Class believes humans are to blame.

Forty-eight percent (48%) of all likely voters attribute climate change to long-term planetary trends, while seven percent (7%) blame some other reason. Eleven percent (11%) aren’t sure.

These numbers reflect a reversal from a year ago when 47% blamed human activity while 34% said long-term planetary trends.”

The public is holding up a stop sign but politicians appear eager to run through it without much thought or sincere consideration. For full analysis of the Waxman-Markey global warming legislation, visit The Heritage Foundation’s Cap and Trade Rapid Response page here.

Posted in Energy [slideshow_deploy]

30 Responses to File This in the Category of Global Warming Absurdity

1. NASA Scientist, DC says:

As someone who works on NASA Earth Observing Missions I can categorically say that neither CO2 nor aerosols have any significant effect on Global Climate. The greatest effect on climate cycles is caused by changes in solar cycles.

2. Thomas, Anchorage, A says:

What about the method of cooking? Charcoal grill versus gas grill versus broiled in an electric oven, etc.

What about game meat?

Tofu?

Absurd is right. Alcohol and Heritage Foundation is how I cope with this absurd government.

3. Stuart Blaber, Oakle says:

It seems that even many of those with putative intelligence can't grasp the idea of climate change. They use all kinds of reasoning to try to disparage the scientific realities. To me, it is so simple. I can only think that these people are operating from fear. They surely can't be using their noggins.

4. Barb -mn says:

So, when do the men in white suits come in?

Obviously some people's mental ability lacks the concept of reality. Unqualified for authoritative positions. How many other essential areas is the president accepting consideration of the unqualified? just to make trillions of dollars and destroy the livelihoods of those he does not know, but despises.

Someone please, stand up and stop this needless oppression!

5. TonyfromOz says:

Nick.

Here in Australia, we are also having the same argument, also relating to our own attempt to try and legislate Carbon Cap and Trade, ironically called here the 'Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme.'

Professor Ross Garnaut, the 'economist' tasked with bringing out the white paper for the Government also suggested something along the same lines, moving away from Lamb and Beef, and even mentioning that we should be eating more kangaroo meat, because their digestion process does not produce the methane of those other two animals.

At the time of the release in October of last year, I posted at our home site on the subject with http://papundits.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/climate….

It seems odd that when it comes to real Science, then we only accept real facts, unless of course it's Climate Change, then absolutely anything becomes accepted as 'real' science.

Tony.

6. Pingback: PA Pundits - International

7. okiejim Oklahoma says:

Would someone please give me my breathing schedule so I don't violate any rules about CO2 emissions.

8. Lloyd Scallan - New says:

Yes, this entire matter is absurd. But what we all must realize is these fools really do believe. The enviormental and animal's rights movements are one in the same. NO MEAT! Sounds familiar? Just think PETA! The whole bunch are of one like mind. There're ANARCHIST. devoted to the destruction of capitalism and the American way of life. The truth is slowing being realized despite the efforts of the left winged news media. Stop the media and we will return to the America we all

grew up in. Stop the media and we will also stop Obama.

9. Brad S,, Detroit, MI says:

What are you talking about ? Global Warming is pure scientific fact (tongue-in-cheek) !!!

The first day of my kid's spring break in April, we received about 6 to 8 inches of snow to break the ALL-TIME record for snowfall (in one winter season) in my area of southeast Michigan (Flint). You would have thought it would be front page news the next day, but not one peep from the radio, TV or newspaper. The Global Warming and now, the Climate Change alarmists don't need science. They have Al Gore and according to him – "the debate is over". Thank God that most people aren't buying the lunacy anymore, because when you experience two brutal winters in a row here in the Midwest, that evidence is more powerful than anything that comes out of Al Gore's mouth.

10. Greg, Vail, AZ says:

The major advocates of global warming were taught this garbage by our public school system. Left wing nut teachers and professors foisting their unproven or skewed theories on our vulnerable youngsters. I have personally had to berate teachers of my son t cease with the nonsense and educate him to the FACTS, not conjecture. WE need to clean house in our education institutions to get rid of the radicals that continue to teach our children junk science and "cultural sensitivity". Lets get them to read, write and do sums so we have an properly educated voting pool.!

11. Gary Watts/ Springfi says:

How long will it be until a proposal springs forth to "cap" the number of breaths for each human? Running and jogging will be forbidden — unless (s)he is able to purchase some breaths from a couch potato.

Of course it is a certainty that on the horizon someone will use as a murder defense, "Hey, I was concerned for the planet."

12. Dennis Idaho says:

TAXMAN/MALARKY is one way to plunder and pillage the working man without firing a shot. The way to fight back is to not vote for any incombent politician.

13. Dennis A. Social Cir says:

These people have lost their minds. They have no "common since", the ability to think past their nose. I have seen some stupid ideas on this matter, but nothing compares to this stupidy. The current administartion is so hung up on "global warming" they believe anything the so called experts say, and we all know what an expert is in the real world.

14. Monica from ACCCE says:

Coal currently accounts for half of the electricity in this country, with some states getting up to 95 percent of their electricity from coal. Moreover, as we’ve shown during the 2009 America’s Power Factuality Tour, coal plays an important role in local economies. The third leg of our road trip brought us to Council Bluffs, Iowa, home to the Walter Scott Energy Center – one of the cleanest and most efficient coal plants in the country.

15. Martha Juhola, South says:

Folks, what in the name of cornflakes are we going to do? I cannot fathom the depth of the ridiculous to which our “leaders” have arrived. I have to laugh, and laugh out loud in order to “stomach” this utter nonsense (lest I develop indigestion thereby creating untold amounts of inner chemical reactions resulting in belching or worse), for Pete’s sake then what would happen? My dear God (and I mean this respectfully), I could then have some kind of individually identifiably “carbon emission profile.” As well intentioned as I may want to be, as an American Citizen, my days may be numbered. I just won’t know what to tell my adult children, my grandchildren my friends and family. I'll have to explain that I’ve been exiled from the “A” (she a real American) list. I will have to explain your grandmother (mom, wife, sister, aunt and friend you’ve known your whole life) is on the “UA”(un-American)list. I will have to inform them, to the best of my knowledge, it may have been brought on by my inability to integrate my personality, my complete belief in our constitution and our human rights along with my inability to tolerate the evolving totalitarian insanity. Also, I will tell them, since I live in the foothills of Mt. Saint Helen’s I’m must warn her too, lest she risk ending up on the “UA” list.

16. Bill, Colleyville TX says:

I thought plants used CO2 and released O2. How does a tomato plant produce more carbon dioxide then it uses in its life cycle? In the summer most tomatoes are grown outside. My garden is sucking up CO2 and loving it! The real purpose of cap and trade is tax revenue. It has nothing to do with real science.

17. Ken Rosenlund, Longw says:

Just more gas being passed, part of the symptom of AlGoraphobia. We should measure the gas that comes out of Washington. That is about 40% of the Co2 emission

How can you take very seriously any grant financed recommendation that is constantly being fed by partial in conclusion that will be filled in and refined in the next grant or the next grant or the next grant….. Let’s face it the oversight of information is very suspect for outsiders are brought in to fill in the knowledge gap in government output, and is treated as gospel. How can you provide oversight to this process when they know more about the subject than you, do you use counter indignant?

18. TedN, St. Petersburg says:

I am afraid we have ignorance at all levels including the Supreme Court ruling CO2 is a "pollutant", which thereby, provides exclusive authority to the EPA to regulate it. Ignorance has proven to be civilizations most expensive commodity.

19. Nob City says:

I've often wondered about what the control group is for Global Warming readings, and how they replicate the exact same conditions to prove their point.

I can often find temperature changes ranging up to 20 degrees difference at the same time, in a single day, within 100 miles of my abode.

20. Audrey, Oregon says:

Global warming is a SCAM, perpetrated by people in the Government to raise more money and gain more power.

21. Christine, Chicago says:

I just don't get the lack of common sense in this current administration. I agree with you Gary, take this to its logical, liberal extreme and we will have to start monitoring our own CO2 output and probably pay taxes on it. Not only that, but life, death and healthcare decisions could eventually be made on the amount of CO2 that we produce all in the name of "saving the environment."

Of course this won't apply to the "gasbags" in Washington only us lowlifes.

22. Rochelle,Colorado says:

Bill from TX is right. There's more about money than science to global warming. The science is junk science. The scientists managed the outcome of their experiments to agree with the political wind and who was offering money. Other scientists are now speaking out. They've written a letter to the President with all of their signatures, saying they disagree with the science of global warming. This is a cash cow for Washington, DC!

23. Mark N, Indiana says:

Not only is the global warming scam about money but it is also about the control the federal government will have on our lives. Too many people sat out the last election thinking there was on real choice to be made. I hope that people now see we all need to vote in 2010 to get representatives that listen to us and use their Constitutional authority to reign in the expansion of the federal government. We can also election state representatives that will reassert state's rights to limit the scope of the federal government. There are ways to stop this madness but we must vote to elect people that will listen to us instead of the special interest running Washington DC.

24. Bill Lamar, Lewisbur says:

I can only think how rich Gore will become from implementing cap and trade. This whole scheme can only be about stealing more of our money and putting the brakes on prosperity by overzelous government actions. I think it's time to put the brakes on the envirogods and their useful idiots in the political class and the newsmedia.There is another side to this that's not being told. Nothing wrong with keeping our planet clean but this co2 cap and trade thing is so over the top.

25. Dave, Fairfax, VA says:

Next thing you know, they will be taxing athletics. After all, people that run and jump and swim and play all manner of sports convert oxygen to CO2 at a much faster rate than those who sit in front of a television screen and veg out. The tax on CO2 will be at complete odds with the nanny state attempt to eliminate obesity. Absurdity to the nth degree.

26. John, Colorado says:

The Brits ought to fire that David Kennedy and his entire staff, and his supervisor, and his supervisor's supervisor, and take away all their benefits, including any pensions they had coming. It would not be humane for Britons in general, or for Kennedy and his staff, to continue in their absurdity.

27. Keep The Change, FL says:

To: Ken Rosenlund, Longwood, FL; You got it right on the money about algoraphobia. His ideas still 'stink', especially when you consider all the 'Passed Gas' that has come out of his mouth. I LOL at "Washington – 40% of co2 emissions"!

To: John, Colorado; The Brits are well on their way to becoming a muslim nation. So, they will most likely appease the global warming scam artists like they have done with the muslims!

You've gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

28. RJ, Wasington State says:

A perfect example of people acting like sheep. I love the analogy.

Funny how the media quietly changed global warning to climate change. The climate changes minute by minute.

There are just as many scientist who believe and prove that its not true.

Climate change is a way for the "world leaders" to impose their agenda of the new world order and a one world government.

29. Richard, Spring TX says:

I guess that science is no longer fact when it is about global warming…

30. Pingback: The Hill’s Blog Briefing Room » DAY’S END ROUNDUP