• President Obama "Caterpillars" Health Care Industry

On February 12th President Barack Obama flew to East Peoria, Illinois, headquarters of Caterpillar, Inc., the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment. At the press conference President Obama claimed, for the second day in a row, that thanks to his $787 billion stimulus package Caterpillar CEO James Owens planned on rehiring 20,000 recently laid-off employees. But then reporters asked Owens if Obama’s claims were true. Owens replied:

I think, realistically, no. The honest reality is we’re probably going to have more layoffs before we start hiring again.

Not only has Caterpillar not rehired as Obama promised, they have since been forced to lay off even more workers. Fast forward to this Monday when the Obama administration hosted a press conference at the White House this time trying to show that the health care industry supports his health care plan. Obama claimed:

These groups are voluntarily coming together to make an unprecedented commitment. Over the next 10 years, from 2010 to 2019, they are pledging to cut the rate of growth of national health care spending by 1.5 percentage points each year — an amount that’s equal to over $2 trillion.

But now we find out:

In a conference call Thursday, President Richard Umbdenstock told 230 member organizations that the agreement had been misrepresented. The groups, he said, had agreed to gradually ramp up to the 1.5 percentage-point target over 10 years – not to reduce spending by that much in each of the 10 years.

“There has been a tremendous amount of confusion and frankly a lot of political spin,” Umbdenstock said on the call. “And I want to assure you that the American Hospital Association is at the table and a responsible part of this, but that we’ve been very clear on what we have committed to.”

And the New York Times reports:

In the bulletin, Richard J. Pollack, the executive vice president of the hospital association, said: “The A.H.A. did not commit to support the ‘Obama health plan’ or budget. No such reform plan exists at this time.”

The lesson: whenever President Barack Obama claims someone supports his policies, don’t believe him.

Posted in Obamacare [slideshow_deploy]

7 Responses to President Obama "Caterpillars" Health Care Industry

1. Joseph Young says:

This Jim Owen's quote has been taken out of context so many times it makes me sick. Please understand what you are quoting before you do so incorrectly, as you did here. Owen's was referring to rehiring employees once the economy turns around and more products/machines are needed, NOT, and I must highlight NOT, immediately. These things take time. You will not spur on manufacturing products that aren't needed yet until the projects start, which again requires TIME. I am dissapointed by the quality and integrity of this article, and ask that it be removed immediately. Do not point the finger at organizations that should not be blamed.

2. Greg, Morton says:

I don't understand J. Young's complaint. The article is clearing about Obama misrepresenting what others have agreed to. It does not in any way defame Mr. Owens or Caterpillar.

3. Destin Klein says:

In reference to Joseph Young's reply: I thought the quote from Jim Owen was very realistic and certainly no one would point fingers at a company that is so solid. CAT's first year of posting a loss is unfortunate, but I believe this is not because of any fault to the CEO or the company. The country's economic consitions have forced companies to layoff workers in order to save the company and the jobs that they can keep. I certainly still believe in CAT and Jim Owen's. I continue to purchase CAT stock because I think it is huge bargain and grossly undervalued. Go CAT!

4. Larry, in the Republ says:

Joeseph, I think what this article is in DIRECT referrence to is the FACT that Obama, once again, called a press conference to tout how HIS fiscally irresponsible spending is somehow, maybe even inadvertantly, causing "some" job growth. Even if on some microscopic level this were true, the point is He's trying at every turn in the road to twist some off hand poll figures into something relevant, which simply is NOT the case. Don't get mad about the truth, just the liar who misrepresents it!

5. Barb -mn says:

Something is going on. Obvious catches. Some aren't obvious. Keep all eyes open. GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL… (ninja turtles?)

6. Paul Kellner says:

"Caterpillaring" now has another meaning. While Obama mis-spoke about what Mr. Owen said, he also missed the fact that Caterpillar has made a great step forward in energy efficient bulldozers. I never thought it was possible for those two things to go together. The new electric D7 moves more dirt for less fuel, something Obama can't say with his penchant for flying his 747 on a whim to make announcements. So "Caterpillaring" means not only misquoting someone to put them on the spot but also failing to praise the contribution the same party has made to his own agenda, in this case reduced C02 emissions and fuel conservation.

7. Richard in Mesa, AZ says:

I am 64 years of age and I love this country dearly. We are clearly the greatest country on the planet. Yes we have made mistakes but our intentions are always honorable. I'm reading the writings of Winston Churchill during the dark years of WWII. This was such a great man and a person of exceptional leadership. I see a clear absence of great leadership in this country. I see quite the opposite in fact. As proud of our country as I am there are times when I am ashamed of some things that take place. For the bust of the great Winston Churchill to be removed from the white house and shipped back to England is shameful and inexcusable. It's a slap in the face of our greatest ally. This president of ours not only lacks great leadership, he lacks manners. Indeed not one of our prouder moments.