• Memorial Service for Jack F. Kemp Open to Family, Friends and Former Colleagues

A memorial service will be held for the Honorable Jack Kemp on Friday, May 8, at 2 pm at Washington National Cathedral. The service is open to family, friends and former colleagues. Seating for the service begins at 1 pm, and attendees should plan on arriving as close to 1 pm as possible.

Wednesday, the House passed H. Res. 401, a resolution honoring the life and recognizing the far-reaching accomplishments of the Honorable Jack Kemp. A bipartisan delegation headed by Representative Charles B. Rangel (D-NY) and U. S. House of Representatives Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) will be attending the memorial service on Friday.

A tribute by Charles Colson and a pastoral prayer offered by the Reverend Alistair Begg, senior pastor of Parkside Church located in Bainbridge, Ohio, are scheduled. The sermon will be delivered by Dr. Robert Norris, senior pastor of Fourth Presbyterian Church of Bethesda, Maryland. The Howard University Choir will sing at the service. Cathedral Dean Samuel T. Lloyd III will welcome the congregation, and Episcopal Bishop of Washington John Bryson Chane will offer the invocation and benediction.

Mr. Kemp represented western New York in Congress for 18 years and played professional football, quarterbacking for the Buffalo Bills. He headed the Department of Housing and Urban Development under President George H.W. Bush and was the Republican vice presidential nominee in 1996.

The service is closed to cameras; however, cameras are allowed outside, near the west end entrance to the Cathedral, for arrivals and departures. Since all Cathedral schools are in session, no surface parking will be available. Media are asked to drop off at Wisconsin Ave. and South Rd.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

8 Responses to Memorial Service for Jack F. Kemp Open to Family, Friends and Former Colleagues

1. David J. Kras says:

I grew up in Buffalo having Jack Kemp as a person to look up to, he never disappointed me and his example helped me to become the man I became in my life.

Sincerely,

David J. Kras, USAF, Major (retired)

2. Vincent Kolber, Chic says:

I first met Jack Kemp at his Buffalo NY campaign office shortly after he announced that he was running for Congress in 1970. While I was just a senior in high school then, Jack Kemp took the time to meet me as I sought to encourage his political ambitions. His office was full of books economics and the issues of the day not the least of which was the Vietnam War. Years earlier my Uncle once described him as a "field general" when referring to Jack Kemp the quarterback as his he recognized Kemp's leadership persona. Yet one aspect of his rise as a political success story was that the idea of a successful professional football player transitioning into national politics was no foregone conclusion. There was genuine concern in the early days of that first campaign that he might not be taken seriously. But his popularity as a football player invigorated his initial campaign in Buffalo Bills' territory where rabid team loyalty lifted him above the fray of ideology or party alignment. Then it was his enthusiasm, intellect and vision focused upon spreading the fundamental ideas of opportunity and freedom for all and the concomitant need to hold government at bay that captivated Kemp cheerleaders over time. We mourn the passing of a victorious warrior in the battle of ideas. And his legacy illuminates a path to the future of which we need take heed.

3. Pingback: Jack Kemp Memorial Service Details | RyansRight.com

4. Lynn B. DeSpain says:

He was a man of faith and a man who truly believed in what he espoused. I does not matter whether one agreed with him or not, he was a man of honor because of his life and the way he lived it.

Hozro

5. J.C. Hughes, Texas says:

Farewell to a man who gave his best in life. I salute you sir on your peaceful journey.

J.C. Hughes, Lieutenant, USNR (Ret)

6. Kevin Lewis, Alexand says:

Jack Kemp embodied selfless service. He was a great example to me as I, in my younger years when cast my first republican vote for Ronald Reagan, began to learn and understand how conservative principles would serve those who embrace them. He passionately embodied conservative ideals and was unabashed in their pursuit for the betterment of others. He loved his God, his family, and his country. He was a true example of a leader who understood the foundations of America. God bless his family as I know they are mourning. I want them to know that we are blessed because Jack Kemp lived.

7. Pingback: Nightly Ramble:The Railroaded Edition | BitsBlog

8. Steve Barnhoorn, Hon says:

Former New York congressman and HUD Secretary Jack Kemp’s passing brought back a flood of memories.

During my freshman year at Honeoye Central School, I wrote then-Congressman Kemp a letter expressing support for the work he was trying to do in lowering income taxes and revitalizing the U.S. economy. He responded to my letter, dated June 14, 1978, with these words of encouragement to this serious student of political science: “The best advice I can give an aspiring young man looking to become the leader of our great United States is to get into the arena and with enthusiasm and devotion, spend yourself for those causes in which you believe.” Those words still inspire me today.

I admired and supported his outreach to minorities and blue-collar workers who traditionally did not support the GOP.

I first met Congressman Kemp in July 1982 in Phelps, New York. It was heady stuff for a then-20-year-old to meet a potential future president. The last time I saw Jack Kemp was in August 1996 when he came to Buffalo with Bob Dole during the 1996 presidential campaign. Kemp’s speech that day was one of relentless optimism and inclusion. I now find it difficult to imagine any political discussion without Jack Kemp in the picture.