• Morning Bell: "I Just Lost Another Loan to Obama!"

The New York Times reports this morning: “He is not a mortgage broker. But for a time on Thursday, President Obama seemed to be playing one on television, urging Americans not to miss out on rock-bottom refinancing rates. … Seldom has the president sounded so much like the host of a late-night infomercial, stopping just shy of imploring people to call the toll-free number at the bottom of their television screens.” We don’t get to say this very often, but the New York Times is dead right. Here are some actual quotes from the President of the United States speaking from the Roosevelt Room of the White House yesterday:

[I]f you are having problems with your mortgage, and even if you’re not and you just want to save some money, you can go to MakingHomeAffordable.gov — MakingHomeAffordable.gov — and the way the web site is designed, you can plug in your information and immediately find out whether or not you are potentially eligible for one of these — one of these mortgage refinancings.

Again, the web site is MakingHomeAffordable.gov — is that right? MakingHomeAffordable.gov — so get on the web site, find out what’s available.

So take advantage of MakingHomeAffordable.gov and that will allow you to figure out exactly how to proceed on this in a way that’s making you money, saving you money, as opposed to costing you money.

As Dana Milbank quipped: “I just lost another loan to Obama!

Yesterday’s taxpayer-funded infomercial came just 10 days after President Obama played car salesman in the Grand Foyer of the White House and five weeks after he played stockbroker in the Oval Office. How did this happen? Why is the chief executive officer of the most powerful country in the world acting like a towel salesman?

Because he has to. Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are owned by the federal government. Three-quarters of the American people get their mortgages through a Fannie Mae-Freddie Mac qualified loan. Last year Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae lost over $100 billion combined. The federal government already loaned General Motors and Chrysler at least $17 billion and that total keeps going up. In 2008 GM lost $31 billion and Chrysler lost $8 billion. Banks lost hundreds of billions of dollars last year and now the federal government owns major stakes in some of them, like the 36% stake the Obama administration purchased in Citibank.

There is a pattern here. The federal government refuses to let market participants fail, the federal government bails them out, and then the federal government, including the President of the United States, is forced to act as a company CEO/salesman instead of faithfully executing the laws of the United States. If we ever hope to get our economy growing again, the federal government must stop picking winners and losers in the marketplace.

Quick Hits:

UPDATE: It has been brought to our attention that the real Sham Wow Guy, Vince Offer, was recently arrested on a felony battery charge. Since only meant to criticize the President for acting as an infomercial pitchman, and never intended to compare him to an accused felon, we have stolen a line from Dana Milbank’s column and changed the headline.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

24 Responses to Morning Bell: "I Just Lost Another Loan to Obama!"

1. Ken Jarvis - Las Veg says:

NOT GOOD.

The intensity of the HATE

has sure been Turned up

since Rush became the GOP Leader

and joined with the Heritage Foudation.

NOT GOOD.

PLUS,

they censor MY Post a lot more now.

NOT GOOD.

2. bbaker, Florida says:

All the more reason to assemble together in large groups, something, has to get the attention of this 'person' in the office of the presidency of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! PLEASE tell me where are you REPUBLICANS, BLUE DOG DEMOCRATS, MODERATES, WHATEVER, COME OUT OF HIDING AND START TALKING DIRECTLY TO THE PRESIDENT HIMSELF. TELL HIM TO STOP IMMEDIATELY, AND take a breather —– how about a MONTH OFF —– and allow the Senate and House to try to come together into some of sensible way to get BACK IN TRACK, ON TRACK, BUT CERTAINLY OFF THE TRACK THAT BARACK OBAMA IS TRYING DESPERATELY, YES, AND IS SO FAR OFF COURSE IN HIS OWN THINKING AS TO COME TO THE PODIUM AND GIVE OUT THE NAME OF AN ORGANIZATION WHERE PEOPLE CAN GO TO GET INFORMATION: Please, those of you sitting in the seats in the Senate and the House, and all appointed individuals in WASHINGTON, D C. If this is not stopped – meaning brought immediately to a halt, LET BARACK AND MICHELLE TAKE A NICE LONG MONTH OFF, ALLOW THEM TO COME TO TERMS WITH WHAT THAT ARE DOING, TRYING TO DO, AND TO ALLOW THEM TIME TO DECIDE IF THEY CAN GO ON WITH THEIR FAR FAR LEFT, SOCIALISTIC SCHEMING!

Without that, the only other recourse is to call for BARACK OBAMA TO COME TO THE PODIUM AND SAY HE IS IN 'FAR, FAR OVER HIS HEAD' , AND another thought – this would also be the perfect time for JOE BIDEN AND WIFE, BARNEY FRANK, REID AND PALOSSI(sp), CHRIS DODD AND THAT FAR LEFT LEANING GROUP TO FIND ( different places to stay away for a nice long month's vacation! Maybe, some sanity could come back to the HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE LAND!

3. Ron, Derry NH says:

For years the government has thrown the compass of morality over board, dismantled the steering toward safer harbors and thrown away the sextant of economic responsibility and conservative assurance.It is only right that the captain start hawking the wares from the helm as profiteering from the crew is all that is left with the ship adrift with no rudder, no sails and a delirious crew infatuated with the dream of drifting to salvation as opposed to working the oars.

This is a pattern of democratic wishful thinking; Spend everything you have on programs that serve ice cream instead of sustenance, and when the fat can't run, steal everything else they have left to balance the budget, since they were set up to be trapped in an economic slumber.

The government has become sociopathic, and is now selling itself as a salesman to hustle what ever takers it can get in a panic to lure in more money to fuel the sinking ship and its hunger to spend more.

Obama's whole message is based in a giant IF!

If only things would work out miraculously different than history has already dictated.

We are being led by infantile obstructors of the American spirit, who would rather corrupt a system than show faith in its market influences, that prove the error of their mismanagement of the laws.

4. John Rosina, Bordent says:

bbaker – "AND IS SO FAR OFF COURSE IN HIS OWN THINKING AS TO COME TO THE PODIUM AND GIVE OUT THE NAME OF AN ORGANIZATION WHERE PEOPLE CAN GO TO GET INFORMATION

the web site is a government one. It is not a privet organization.

But I appreciate your ire while trying to temper it with bi-partisan hope and concern.

It's called "conflicted" and I and many others are with you there!

Best

5. Dick Barron, Fort Wo says:

I won't take the government seriously on these offers until they make the "but wait" offer. THAT's when I bite on Sham Wows and Closet Savers.

6. Frank W., New Mexico says:

I have a good idea. Why don't we have all the congressmen and senators give the money the Swiss bank gave them to our new Government owned banks. This would help the tax payers and let the politicians off the hook for the 100's of thousands of dollars they took from the UBS for their own personnal use. The figure I heard was $10,000 each. I'm sure it was more for Dobbs and Barney for brokering the deal.

7. Dorothy Morgan, Okla says:

Hey, what works for your country, do it. What works for your citizens, do it. Both are more important than you are, no matter who you are.

All our big wheels need some humility. Yes!!!

Maybe we'll get it straight this time…we all surely do hope so. The numbers are looking better in several important categories. Maybe there won't be as much hunger as we've been anticipating.

Looking forward to hearing Rush; surely he's happier, too.

8. James Flieder, Arequ says:

Obama should not be judged a good or bad president by his manner of behavior, right? Didn't we go over this with verbally clumsy and embarrassing George W. Bush?

Another thing: food costing more for the sake of being more energy efficient means everyone's getting hit by the price raise, NOT just "you," as the writer puts it. Don't slither a Glenn Beck-ism in there if you want to continue to be respected.

9. Ireland says:

Well, Ken maybe they were hoping you would just leave. You talk your trash here daily about subjects you have no knowledge of or at least limited information. You edit the facts to fit your comments around to try and prove your point. I guess you figure no one will look for a source that counters your claims. When someone comes back with a counter claim and brings facts to your information and proves you were wrong and calls you out. You hide in your little cubby hold. You just refuse to debate the facts. Is your ego hurt? Narcissist rage boiling in your groin? Take two Imodium Multi-Symptom Rapid Relief Caplets for your diarrhea of the mouth. It should work great.

Stop the crap and repeating the same moronic dialogue from MSNBC and CNN. You know damn well that Rush Limbaugh is an entertainment and political commentator he is not running for Office nor is he the voice for the Republicans and Conservatives alike. He'd have to take a huge pay cut to run for Office, and a really huge cut. Be grateful that he makes so much money criticizing Obama to afford to pay for his programs and lo and behold, Rush actually pays his taxes and on time. Who would have thought that? The liberal media pinheads that were trying to damage his loyal audience and attacked him by using a snip it of what he says. Actually caused a increase in listeners. Don’t believe me? Then, read the article that appeared in the left leaning liberal bible known as the Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/arti

Don’t worry; I know you won’t respond because you are a coward.

10. ra,ohio says:

It's not the outside, it's the inside.

Obama has a plan to destroy this country,(by making slaves of the American People due to increased taxes that we don't know or can't know where are going.)

Did anyone listen to his speeches when he was in Europe?

I felt all he did was denigrate the US.

Yeah, he was "elected" president by morons who were stupid enough to take what he said as gospel, but I think even they are beginning to question their vote.

He is hollow, a puppet, and is being manipulated by a marxist, socialistic machine similar to the mob….Don't believe me ? watch.

2010…we can fix this.

11. Tommy Estes, Marysvi says:

OK, I get it. I understand that Obama is pure poison to anything that's free and good. Now what? What action is anyone proposing. Don't tell me to contact a politician. Conservatives in particular and Republicans in general have no power to stop this. I want to know what action anyone has in mind. Facts with no plans are useless. Don't tell me I'm about to go off a cliff. Tell me where the brakes are!

12. christopher g scott says:

In response to Ken Jarvis's comment, Mr.Limbaugh is not the head of the republican party but his voice is heard by millions of people on a daily basis. Mr Limbaugh does not spread hatred, he spreads optimism and individualism much like the republican party and the Heritage Foundation does. And as far as The Heritage Foundation censoring your comments, you Sir must think like most liberals do and think everything you say is so profound that Heritage must be foolish not to print your comments.

13. ella quinn kinston n says:

Way to go Ireland.Let him hold it.

14. Jamey, Central Calif says:

I should have written in Sham-wow in the fill in space. In hind sight, it would have been better than Mc Cain. Except that obama forgot the part about "but wait, if you order now", obama will just tax you double!

15. Wallyblu, Zion, IL says:

I wonder if anyone has told any of the people getting relief on their mortgages that if the principal is reduced, the amount of the reduction becomes liable for income tax as ordinary income, to them, according to IRS rules covering forgiven debt.

16. Pingback: Today’s Surfing Map 4.10 « Conservative Review

17. Arnie Rosner, Founta says:

Excuse me here…but has Obama registered as an agent of a foreign power?

18. Arnie Rosner, Founta says:

Barack Obama does not speak for me.

Barack Obama does not speak for me. I am an American. I am proud to be an American. I make no apologies for being an American. But

Barack Obama does not speak for me.

I feel privileged to be an American. Fortunate to have been born when and where I was born so I could fully exploit this marvelous stroke of good fortune. You see, in most cases, I have found it possible to pursue a life full of liberty and happiness.

Now even though I am in a position to enjoy this freedom, I know full well, it was anything but free—there was a large cost—the body count of those who gave their lives so that many of us could live in freedom today was very high.

This sacrifice is often forgotten and/or taken lightly by many unthinking and unappreciative citizens of the world. Thoughtless individuals who would even deny their indebtedness to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice that granted the rest of us this freedom. Yes, in my view, the freedom, many less appreciative Americans, like our president and other members of the 545 individuals that are responsible for the actions of our current government, take so lightly and so much for granted.

Barack Obama does not speak for me.

You see my dear fellow global citizens, I cherish the ideas of our founding documents, ones Mr. Obama seems to hold in such disdain—I suspect he has his motives.

Recent events might cause some of you to misunderstand from where I come. Our new president, Barack Obama has toured part of the world in various functions. He has made speeches and expressed ideas that do not represent any thoughts that remotely resemble mine. So let me make this clear, President Obama, does not speak for me.

Yes…let me repeat this… Barack Obama does not speak for me.

I will not bow to any power or individual on earth as I hold there is no greater stature; no greater honor than to simply be born as an American.

Barack Obama does not act for me

I will not intentionally recognize corrupt individuals nor governments that do not subscribe to principles of freedom and democracy.

I will not compromise my principles in order to win favor from those that may believe in different concepts. I will not compromise my principles in order to win agreement, from those that may not believe in the same values and standards as I do. They have a right to their beliefs as I have a right to believe in mine.

19. Richard cancemi says:

Obama is the King of sham and scam. He's an ace con man who forgot what truth is! Nothing he says can ever be taken at face value.

20. Tami, Nashville says:

You know, while I slept lastnight I really thought I was dreaming…I dreamt that Obama had turned into the "Wow" guy on TV and was pitching something for sale like a house or something! My house is on the market and I thought he was trying to sell it for me! Imagine waking up and reading the "morning bell"…You know, he is a complete embarrassment for me and should be for the rest of us! His coming out in Europe last week another fine indication of his leadership skills! When is he going to stop campaigning to the rest of the world and step up to the leadership position that the blind and foolish have elected him to! I am stunned everyday by his foolishness and naivete…where does it end! Obama, please stop this nuts! You're killing us!

21. Medina, Kissimmee, F says:

Am tire of hearing complaints and more complaints but, no solutions. It's time for the real solutions to the problem,which the 'chosen messiahs' has no idea to solved, since Pelosi-Reid-Emannuel-Barnie group, are in charged to solved every single one of them. But none of them know what they are doing at all. It's no time to look back for the mistakes made by who ever made them. It's their duty and responsibility to listen to the Real masters on the issue of economy, not to Barnie Frank or Emmanuel, who had bankrupt every business they work at, with themselves making good money from it. Time for all citizens bombard Washington with e-mail, phone calls, faxes,& letters,asking for a responsible attitute to solved the issue with the economy, which is going on the Hill with no positive solution, just giving tax dollars to irresponsible crooks in the business and all their friends as pay back rewards for their campaign trail. Wake up citizens start your chain, to let your voice heard to all these inept people in government!!! Thanks for taking steps in the right direction, since it make them mad as hell when people start contacting them. Their equipment get stopped and full in every way possible, so they know you mean business!!!

22. Dennis A. Social Cir says:

I am glad obama is good at something, after all he is not worth a flip as president. He has sent this country so deep in debt that our great grand children will have to pay the bill.

23. Mike Sheahen, Hickor says:

Even I am tired of this, along with tens of millions of other Americans, but there the Left goes again with another example of how, to the Left, the facts don't count, only their Leftist government elitist and statist power and money-grabbing agenda counts.

Indeed Leftist government elitist and statists are perpetrating, in words and especially their actions, (including their words urging Leftist opportunism) a pattern which shows and demonstrates both their determination to promote, propagate, perpetrate, and perpetuate their Leftist government elitist and statist power and money-grabbing agenda for government growth and control of our lives, businesses, jobs, and resources, and their willingness use any opportunity, such as any "crisis", and any means to do so, including their using our money as "bait" for them to gain such government control.

To wit: Obama's "White House Chief of Staff" Rahm Emanuel's verifiably Leftist opportunistic urging for them to "Never let a crisis go to waste. What I mean by that is it's an opportunity to do things you couldn't do before", and Obama's denying that he is a Socialist, yet he is so quick to fear and crisis-monger and otherwise "never let a crisis go to waste" as Rahm Emmanuel said, no matter how real, fabricated, or imagined, all in order to do things he couldn't do before, such as get "elected" President of the U.S, get enough control to fire the President of GM, and even artificially distort energy costs upward (as even he clearly warned, even before he was elected, such as when he said "Under my plan, electricity costs would skyrocket"), increase on all of us, in fact, taxes and other costs of living, being in, having, and doing business and jobs, and thus also altogether in fact hurting most those whom the Left therefore misleadingly claims to "care about" the most…"the poor".

Of course there's more to show the pattern of Left's antics and machinations for government power and money-grabbing, but do you already see such a pattern? I certainly do see it, along and tens of millions of Americans and others around the world who also see it.

Alas, the (Leftist) Federal government power and money-grabbing "bait and switch" goes on…which is exactly what American companies, CEO's and even Governors of various U.S. States are afraid of and why they are rejecting it, including through their trying to give back money which the Federal government is trying to force them to take or make them keep in order to get government control, and what we, the people, must stop if we are to have what at least remains of our control of our lives, businesses, freedoms, resources, and even national security.

Just remember: "Government big enough to give you everything you want (including such as the so-called 'mortgage deals' which Obama is pushing) is big enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson), and "Experience (as in worldwide history) has shown that as government grows, liberty decreases" (Thomas Jefferson).

24. Dave Schraub, Indian says:

I might be mistaken but when I went to school back in the dark ages, I was taught in school, that we the people, were the government. I thought that we were the government and that we had the power to elect politicians, and we sent them to washington to work for us. I believe the politicians today have their own agenda. I believe the school system has done this, it has led the way for the new generation to think that they are entitled to something for being born in america. That has to be the only reason that the new generation believes that socialism is the answer. If history was taught in school, the american people would never ever vote for socialism. As for the liberals, that drink the kool-aid of the left, they are so bitter, and hateful, that nothing could appease them. Please just one time would one of you kool-aid drinkers, give me a legitimate argument, and facts, instead of resorting to name calling, and trying to discredit, and destroying your apponent. I don't understand hate and discontent. This is the greatest nation in the world. You have opportunity here you cannot find anywhere else. If this isn't true, then why don't you live there. GOD BLESS AMERICA.