• Thank You Taxes!

thank-you-card

This is not a parody. The “Alliance for A Better Minnesota” (a coalition of leftist organizations including “the Blue-Green Alliance” and “SEIU Healthcare Minnesota”) is promoting a Thank You Taxes campaign urging Minnesotans to “Take a moment to share with us why you appreciate all the government services you use every day.”

We’re sure “Thank You” is exactly the thought millions of Americans are thinking right now as they scramble to file their taxes in time for April 15.

But if you do want to take a moment to give thanks for all that big government means to your life, also consider that Americans will pay more in taxes than they will spend on food, clothing and housing combined. If that fact makes you more than a little concerned, then join the Tax Foundation in celebrating Tax Freedom Day this April 13.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

21 Responses to Thank You Taxes!

1. Gerrit Lansing says:

Un. Believable.

2. Keith Jones, AZ, kei says:

Wow. Just wow. How about, "Dear Taxes. Come home! Climb out of the government waste basket and back into my wallet!"

Clueless.

3. Sandra, Texas says:

Thank you for taxes!! Actual proof that the left has lost its mind. Taxes are just a legalized form of theft. If the gov't would get out of our pockets, the States would have more to spend on their priorities. This give the U.S.Gov't your money and then let the gov't determine the States priority and ration it back to the States is rediculious and not cost effective. There would be no earmarks if the Gov't didn't take so much from the taxpayers.

4. Al, Dayton says:

In 20 years when my grandson is 26, will he be able to live on what income he has left after all the taxes are deducted? I wanted him to grow up to be a doctor; now he would be better off to live on welfare–no taxes, free groceries, free health care, free rent–what a life! No wonder so many illegals risk coming to this country!

5. Ben C, Ann Arbor, MI says:

My favorite quotes:

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." – Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 B.C.)

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency

Alexander Tyler. Scottish historian quoting from others.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the rich out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply the wealth by dividing it."

Anon

6. Bill, Forney, TX says:

This ties in with the "Quick Hits" Wall Street Journal posting today on states with revenue shortfalls and those planning to further raise taxes. Businesses and individuals look at such a list as places NOT to move. No surprise that Taxachusetts is on the list. Unfortunately, the drones from MA leave the state to escape the burden and go north to NH. Not realizing the root of their former problems, they try to re-create their Taxachusetts nirvana and are succeeding in wrecking another state (which has no income or sales tax). The states in trouble are only accelerating their demise with proposed tax increases. Intelligent people will get off that ride before it comes off the tracks. I know that is a major reason I left NH for TX, a state w/ no income tax and a state with a budget surplus last year.

7. Tami,Nashville says:

Not only do we have tax increases to worry about, but this dictator Obama and his puppet cabinet and Congress mean to insidiously infiltrate every fiber of the fabric of our lives. Just look at the strongarm tactics they are employing to get inside the banking, investment, and insurance corporations at home and abroad. He is turning Constitutional law on its head and will soon be running a Castro/Chavez form of government…know what that's called? Fascism! He is even trying to climb into bed with these dictators! Beware, folks…the taxes are the least of your problems!

8. Jerome Zacny says:

The bastards won't stop until they take it all.

9. Pingback: The Income Tax is Ritual Abuse | Behind Blue Lines

10. Dirty Harry , AZ says:

I say to those on the left that if you want to be a slave to the state fine. Donate 100% of everything you have and earn to the IRS. But when you start to come after mine beware !!

11. mary genovese capacc says:

i really believe, liberals are mentally ill. so typical of them, if you don't do as they say..they have a temper tantrum..i've always been a rebel with a cause and i'll continue to do so in a calm…(o.k.,now is a good time to count to ten), intelligent and passionate manner. as soon as obama tries to pass legislation to allow illegal immigrants to become citizens..he has built up his arsenal for 2012. thanks to his funding ACORN..with our hard earned money he'll be able to get out the votes..2 for 1, of course. just remember, the ignorant, free-loaders will be defeated. he could care less about the common man..wait till your energy bill goes up. i am so embarrassed to even say his name, never mind call him my president..any president of my great country would never have bowed to the king of arabia or called my country arrogant on foreign soil. the day the government is going to control my healthcare decisions is the day there is going to be more than a "tea party". that's when the revolution must begin: revolutionary war..the sequel.

12. Dirty Harry , AZ says:

It's time to turn their tactics back on them. Get out and postest on TEA party day. April 15th.

13. Ross, Bradenton, F says:

Thank you taxes because I have less money for my wife to spend for things we don't need, things we can't afford, and with money we don't have. Thank you for providing a dysfunctional education system that has produced new voters too ignorant or complacent to understand even what is in the Constitution of the United States. Thank you for using my tax money to attack my religious beliefs and continually trying to take God, prayer, and historical Christian values out of public life; it has insured continuing police employment opportunities as lawmakers make more people criminals. Thank you taxes for destroying the basic family unit for families with a diabolical welfare system or ….

No! I can't thank taxes for anything! When I was a child, my grandfather warned me that the most dangerous time of the year for every American citizens is when the US congress or the state legislators were in session because our liberty and hard earned money are in grave danger. Wiser words for the American individualist spirit… he was born in 1879.

14. mary genovese capacc says:

IN RESPONSE TO DIRTY HARRY….NO CONCERN..I HAVE MY TEA AND I'VE BEEN READY FOR MY TEA PARTY ON APRIL 15TH….I WISH MOST PEOPLE WEREN'T SO APATHETIC. I'VE HEARD PEOPLE SAY.."IT'S OUT OF OUR CONTROL"…SADLY, I SAY IT'S THAT APATHY THAT MADE IT THIS WAY IN THE FIRST PLACE…THAT, AND IGNORANCE! LET FREEDOM ROAR!

15. Georgina, in Wa. Sta says:

How about this one – Penalized by S.Security: I sold a biz in 2000 on an installment sale/mortgage to my buyer. Paid my due taxes as calculated on the mortgage interest

income, also income taxes due on my capital gain of $107k. But when the buyer cashed me out in'07 it was also treated as income by S.Security. Result? Because of earning over 107k, S/S have just doubled my '09 Medicare payments to almost $200 a month, even though my Medicare health Advantage premium is an additional $149 monthly!

With my '09 income under 20k this year & recovering from serious cancer last year, aged 72+ years old I appealed their decision. My appeal was turned down "because Medicare do not regard cancer as a life changing event" and thus assessed their penalty – which doubles Medicare premiums for me all of this year. That's a hidden tax!!

Illegals can collect S/S & Medicaid, but we/I have to subsidize that "because I don't have a life threatening condition"???? That's a $1,200 a year extra (tax) I have to pay for playing by S/S rules of spreading the wealth! Those who do not pay taxes are doing so on the

backs of people just like me! I heard Warren Buffet say this evening on a Fox interview "that he only had to pay

17.5% in taxes 2-3 years ago & that wasn't fair to the

ordinary people". That it happened by the tax codes is

grossly unfair"! Now Obama will tax those earning $250k+

& little elderly like me are also penalized on as $107k,

capital gain! ! ! Yes! I look forward to April 15th!

16. Barb -mn says:

Isn't it funny they have money to waste on such frivolity as this?

A slap in the face will only provoke anger.

17. Barb -mn says:

For some many reasons it doesn't surprise me!

18. Jay, Harvest, AL says:

The biggest problem with a tax revolt tea party is the vivid imagination of the left will imagine that this is a means for a party, and they will bring the crumpetts and cucumber sandwiches. The income tax is, remains, and will become even more, a repressive tax. It can legally be avoided my millions. Disband the IRS as we know it. Revoke the Income Tax and the 16th Amemdment, and adopt the Fair Tax. Everyone will pay in proportion to what they spend and consume. But do not allow the Fair Tax without a repeal of the 16th Amendment. Elsewise, the liberal left will make the taxes cummulative, with an income tax and the Fair Tax and whatever else tax they can imagine.

19. B & T, Flyover C says:

I am a few years shy of 65 and supremely happy with my medical docs, my dentist and very, very appreciative of having good medical insurance, which I pay for in part.

Enters Obama, Pelosi, Reed and others with designs to "reform" health care. There are those who believe that this "reform" will eventually mean rationed health care for those who are my age and for those who are chronically ill (I am not, thankfully.)

There are those who say that people my age, and those with chronic disease have a "duty to die." That we are no longer that productive and use up too many health care resources.

Obama is going to raise taxes to pay for the proposed health care reforms. I am a taxpayer, therefore, I will be paying — and ultimately be footing the bill for my own demise.

And now someone wants gratitude?

Does anyone know a group I can join up with to fight against universal health care? Thank you. I am looking, too. Many heads are better than one.

There are many of us who stand a good chance at losing — if not our lives — certainly the quality of life that we now enjoy under a single-payer universal health care system.

20. Bob, La Honda, CA says:

Thank you, Taxes. You provide libraries, and fire departments, and police and roads. You provide schools. You give a person who has come upon hard times, a reason to go on. You help those who cannot help themselves. You, taxes say: "yes, you are worthy to live, even though you need help." You, taxes, don't say: "get a job…" to someone who is crippled or needs medications they cannot afford.

So thank you, taxes. Let me know if you need more. Because all of us together can do wonderful things when dignity is preserved.

21. Barb -mn says:

Bob, La Honda, you are wrong to assume. Many facts show people WON'T do for themselves. Causing tax increases to those expected to fulfill the government thievery command. While those non-compliant get a free ride. Where the expense of a car is more of a priority then providing for their own children.

Taxes don't determine your worth to live! You breathing air does.

The only schools that are provided by government are indoctrinating. And what I have witnessed so far is, "it's nobody's (students) fault. You (students)don't have to figure it out. Nobody's accountable. There's a program for everyone!"

Schools have lost their ability to teach basic standard education as their main concern to the children is IF YOU'RE WHITE, EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE MUST BE ACCEPTED. Which lessens ability for those who are white, to think for oneself and freedom of choice.

Protection and safety for all IS ALL the government should be providing.