• Morning Bell: The Public Plan Threat to Accessible Health Care

This past Monday, the White House co-hosted an invitation only health care forum with California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in Los Angeles. According to the Los Angeles Times the event “was clearly programmed to showcase the broad goals” President Barack Obama has on health care, but “was light on details” with “no discussion of how to achieve those goals.” Meanwhile, the New York Times reports that back in Washington, Democrats Agree on a Health Plan that includes “a public health insurance plan as an alternative to private insurance.” Considering the cost and consequences of a public health plan, it should be no surprise the White House chose not to promote the idea at their health care forum.

Independent and conservative health care experts have long warned that a public plan would further “crowd out” ever dwindling private health care options and only fast track government’s creeping control of health care. A new study released Monday by the Lewin Group, a healthcare policy research firm, provides some numbers to back up this point.

According to the Lewin Group, “If the public plan is opened to all employers…at Medicare payment levels we estimate that about 131.2 million people would enroll in the public plan. The number of people with private health insurance would decline by 119.1 million people. This would be a two-thirds reduction in the number of people with private coverage (currently 170 million people).” The study also examined what the proposed plan might do to provider reimbursement rates, finding that if current Medicare payment rates were to be used for a public plan option, physicians would see their net income drop by $33 billion dollars, and hospitals would see their revenue fall by $36 billion.

And what happens when physicians and other health care providers see their income drop? Americans lose access to health care. As part of their ‘Retirement’ series, the New York Times reported last week that under the current levels of government controlled health care the American College of Physicians estimates that by 2025 there will be 35,000 to 45,000 fewer doctors than the population needs … and that less and less of these doctors are willing to accept new Medicare patients.

If, as Lewin’s research suggests, two-thirds of those currently covered under private insurance were to instead be insured under a new public plan, we would find ourselves well on our way toward a single-payer government run health care system, where the government is the universal ”single payer.” Heritage fellow Robert Book describes the devastating effects that would have to health care access and quality of care:

The establishment of a “single payer” health care system would inevitably result in lower payments for physician and other health care providers. The immediate effect of having a single (”stingy”) payer would be lower incomes for physicians and a reduction in the supply of active physicians, thereby impairing access to health care for all patients. However, the result of “single/stingy payer” health care will not only be lower incomes for physicians now but reduced access and lower quality health care for future generations as well.

Quick Hits:

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

44 Responses to Morning Bell: The Public Plan Threat to Accessible Health Care

1. Richard cancemi says:

Is there anywhere or any place the Obama administration is not sticking it to us?

2. Ozzy6900, CT says:

Responding to the article for or against is futile. The question should be why do Americans want the Government to take care of them like a mommy and daddy would? The ideal of the Republic of America is that the People would take care of themselves not having the Government wipe their noses at every turn!

That said, revising the Tort Laws would remove the majority of the "Health Care Expense" by lowering the insurance that Health Care Providers need to carry. In my youth, a visit to the doctor was around $15 and a house call was around $25. Look where we have gone from that!

If we could get the frivolous law suits decreased (Tort) and get the insurance payments decreased then change the attitude of getting every test under the sun for a snotty nose, we might just get an office visit down under $40. That could then be divided between the insurance and the client in today's fashion. Insurance would be cheaper for the employer or the entrepreneur (Small Business).

3. Gabe, Dallas says:

I'm going to go sterilize my house now. I can't afford to get sick if my doctor is going to be underpaid and unhappy!

Thank you, Heritage, for all you do!

4. Richard Cancemi, Ar says:

These are historic times. We are witnessing Atilla Obama effecting the Decline and Fall of America! And, some idiots are rejoicing!

Dark Ages here we come!

5. Jonathan - Williamsb says:

Voters elected the men and women who are responsible for these social and healthcare programs we can't afford, and some will say don't need. Looks like more voters want more of American socialism. I'm 60- years old. Every election, every congress and each president has expanded the growth of government in my life time. A man may give lip service to smaller government, but it 'ain't' gonna happen. History says so.

6. Nelia, Fountain Hill says:

Obama's Health Care Plan is "light" on details. Usually the devil is in the details, and his plan is no exception. It will be the end of readily available and the excellent quality of care we enjoy in our nation today. Most of us have great medical insurance. Accessability and lower costs to what is available for the less fortunate should be the goal, not wholesale throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

7. Janet Spencer, North says:

We do not need government run health care. The government can not run what it has effectively. Obama wants to control everything we have. I do not want our health care to become one in which some unknown determines our plan of treatment & medications we will or will not receive.

8. Suzanne, Texas says:

The Public Plan Threat to Accessible Health Care:

What you people don't get is that private health insurers are robbing us blind. One third of my low, monthly income goes to private health insurance, every month. For that, I get very high deductibles and the knowledge, that if I did become seriously ill, I would not be able to afford deductibles and co-pays, and would therefore receive no treatment. As low as my income is, I still would not qualify for Medicaid. In this country, unless you are an illegal alien or a minority with five illegitimate kids, you receive no help. Since I am under age 65 and have no dependents, there is nothing for me, nothing. I can't cancel the health insurance because I would never be allowed to re-enroll. So Blue Cross/Blue Shield and the state of Texas get to increase my premiums and decrease coverage at will. And all the while, local, state, and federal governments increase my taxes and decrease tax deductions.

So, the medical establishment and the insurance industry, and the state, and the federal government are already robbing me blind in the name of profit and to give taxpayer funded (that's me) health care to the thoughtless and irresponsible and nothing to me.

So I am really angry. My conservative political party does nothing but yammer that liberals will destroy insurance companies with any changes they make. The Leftists want taxpayers (again, that's me) to be taxed to death to give health care to those who do not contribute. I am sick of all of them, and you. NO ONE in either party has offered any ideas on health care that are useful and sensible.

9. Tim H. Carrollton,Ga says:

I would really like to see a real 3RD party started!I've given up on the Republican party to be a party to trust.I wish we could start the "Conservitive Party" with only true conservitives in and running the party. I feel it would take off and surpass any other party going now.I don't plan to ever vote for either party ever again no matter what.I'm sick of trusting and hoping in a party that only let's me down over and over!Our country is going crazy and the Republican Party is silent and doing little to "cry aloud and spare not" to the public for real change! If they weren't so milk toast, they would all be on ever media outlet possible when possible,crying of the trouble our country is in and how they promise change,if elected. God please help us!!!

10. J.C. Hughes, Texas says:

I totally agree with Conn's article. Unfortunately, too many Americans are being duped into believing they'd be better off with a government controlled single payer arrangement. This includes many misguided thinkers in an already over regulated healthcare industry. If any of these folks honestly feel they can't afford medical care now, wait till they're faced with picking up the tab for a government run healthcare system. Believe meeee! It's not going to be cheap.

11. DONNELL says:

Just train a new crop of doctors for the evolving health care system protocols and retire the old ones who refuse to fit in.

12. Bill, St Louis says:

Taxpayer $$$ will be given to housing departments that are known to have a history of audit problems regarding the spending of taxpayer dollars, that sounds about right for this crew now in power. Can't help but notice that the Chicago Housing Dept. made the list — hmmm, seems like Chi town is where the O man got his “Community Activist” badge working with and for ACORN on a variety of issues including housing. It is also interesting to note that the Chicago housing dept is slated to receive 48% or approximately $144 Million of the $300 Million sliding out the door. Likely just a coincident that the O mans haunts are getting the over whelming lion’s share of these monies —- yeah right!

13. okiejim Oklahoma says:

We have a friend, who is single and no dependents, who is paying $700 a month with a $1500 co-pay for private health insurance. That amounts to more per month than most mortgage payments. However, the fault is not the private insurance company's. The fault lies with our tort system. Frivolous lawsuits must be dealt with before insurance premiums have a chance of being reduced.

For those who are convinced that government run health care is the only answer, think of the consquences if you have a legitimate claim against a doctor or healthcare facility. How much do you think you will get from the government in a lawsuit?

14. yvonne Larned Kansas says:

As with everything the Government is going to fix,it cost 3-4 times what it should cost and becomes a burden on tax payers. I think first of all the Drs. need to step up and write a program on how to get control over the costs.Second, limit law suits and get control over this misused law.

We have a Congress and White House that want to control every aspect of our lives,because they know what is best for us.I am 69 years old and I have never seen as much distruction in such a short period of time as what has taken place since the new admistration has taken over.This last election cycle has proven what happens when the MSM is in the tank for a candiate and reporting becomes just another platform for propaganda.The statement has been made that things are said when on the campaign trail and the politican should not be held to their promices.

I think this last election was so corrupted from ACORN and because of our new presidents color nothing was said because people were afriad they would be called racist.

So now we have a one sided group that is trying to bring down America. When I lived in California one Sunday morning we were listening to a telaevanglist and he made the statement that if America ever falls it will be because of 2 groups of people. At the time I thought he was a little nuts,but heaven for bid the last 8 years has proven what he said true,"If America is brought down it will happen from with in, with the help of the press and the Democrate party.

Miss Pelosi promices to have a more workable leadership,we now see what she had in mind. Only the Democrats would be able to make the rule. We have to live with this for 20 more months and than we will have a chance to help America survive this assult.America voted for change,just maybe we will have more change in 2010.

15. Medina, Kissimmee, F says:

The "chosen messiahs'" health care plan is one that is really very dangerous. It will cost plenty of unnecessary death, since it will take month for an appointment to see the physician, since it will be overcrowded with patients. they will be underpaid for their services, while paying high overinflated taxes. This man is out of his mind, not fit to be in as the Chief Commander of our nation. His only experience is as 'community organizer'. He acts like he is a celebrity looking for attention every where he goes, instead of taking his position really serious. It's outrageous & shameful he is blaming us Americans for all the bad thing happening all around the world. Showing a complete ignorance of our history and our humanitarian responsible actions we Americans had done to our neighbors around the world. Our brave and women had spilled their precious blood and died to free many countries from oppression but, Obama can appreciate this actions. He is enhancing his ego at all cost for his own political agenda. He is looking to appeased everyone, so he can be claimed as the "chose messiahs" of those who really hate us because they are jealous of our way of life and our freedoms. We American should let this man know, he is wrong and we will not tolerate his defaming and degrading of our country, while abroad.

16. John Rosina, Bordent says:

World Health Org. findings:

"France leads the world in health care, says the World Health Organization in a major report, which rates the UK 18th and the US 37th – despite being the country which spends the most per head.

The rating is based on a comprehensive assessment of medical treatment, including factors such as availability of medical insurance and pharmacies.

Italy comes second in the WHO league table, with Singapore, Spain, Austria and Japan among other countries in the top 10."

We pay the highest dollar amount per head and MANAGE to rate only 37th in the World.

The extra cost what we pay Free Enterprise MANAGERS. They add not one shred of value to you care.

Let these MANAGERS compete for the actual provision of Medical Services. Do not allow them to compete for the up front money. If they are good, they will still do great business as a provider.

TV's GUNSMOKE Western analogy:

US Healthcare episode.

Marshall Dillon: "Doc, can you patch me up, I’ve been shot."

Doc: "Well, Matt, you gotta go see the new HMO fella and get yourself a plan. It'll save you a lot of money off my charges that way."

Dillon: Plan? I didn't Plan to get shot! What if I bleed to death first.

Doc: Sorry, Matt, we ain't invented Emergency Care yet – or catastrophic care neither. And that HMO fella with the big fancy house ain’t interested in providing that kind of care. Too danged expensive. Next thing you know, there goes his private livery stable.

NOTE: The WHO assessment is from 2000. I wanted an apolitical source. Feel free to update with a similar, non-politically biased changes of significance.

17. Dennis A. Social Cir says:

There will be no details in this plan. The dems do not want us to know the details as we all would have a fit.One payer insurance "public health care" will lead to mass failure of healh care for all of us. We all must ban together to stop this mess. SOCIALISM AT IT'S BEST!!!

18. J.C. Hughes, Texas says:

JR in Bordentown, WHO? Any data generated by the United nations is politically suspect. I'm sure their method uses a subjective analysis in order to support their ideological aspirations. Namely socialized medicine.

19. F. Newtz says:

I've noticed they almost all of the conservative newsletters I read discuss the move by the democrats and the Obama administration to make our health care system similar in scope to Europe, Canada, etal. What I don't see written is what effect other than to hurt the hospitals & doctors economically, is what socialized care in this country would really do to not only us, but the world as well.

What I'm referring to is "care". This consists of devices, technology & medications available and those that are yet to be discovered.

We currently live in a free market society and those organizations that manufacture the medication and provides us with the technology of care do so not only because they have the brain trust but because of the rewards as well. Currently, the rest of the world relies heavily on the U.S. to provide these advances. That's not to say that only Americans create. However, it's my observations that those others in the remainder of the world do so because of the rewards a capitalistic society provides to them. Take this away (they are trying to) and the benefits of that will go away as well. Make us a socialist satellite of Europe and where will the rest of the world turn for treatment and care when their own systems fail them? Has research been conducted that indicates the number of foreigners come here for treatment? The number of individuals that come here for training? How will socialized health care affect our schools of higher(?) learning? I guess what I'm asking is will anyone care?

20. Cheryll Lawand F says:

There is plenty of room for blame for what is happening to our economy. We are dealing with a large portion of a ignorant society looking for instant gratification while supporting anything or anyone who will give them something for nothing, regardless of the consequences. It's this kind of society that gives very little or no resistance to Obama's creation of a welfare state.

21. David Sayers, NC says:

This inept bunch can't even run around the block let alone run a huge health care system. They sure have done a fine job with the postal service,medi-care and medi-cade haven't they? Can't wait to see how the auto companies and the banks are going do with the expert leadership of congress and that go to guy at treasury. Chairman Obama and his gang only want more people depending on them to continue to build their voter base to stay in power and they really don't care how much it will cost because we are the ones who will be paying for it. Of course, all the freeloaders are loving it. What happened to selfreliance? Where in the Constitution does it say Government must take care of me,pay me for not working,buy me house and meet my every need?

We need to demand a recall of BHO and vote the rest of them out office,but quick. It's time to stop the free fall.

22. Barbara B. Baker, Wi says:

WHERE ARE THE REPUBLICANS? EVEN THE ONES WHO ARE 'ACTING LIKE DEMOCRATS'!!! YES, I AM WELL AWARE THAT THE REPUBLICANS ARE OUTNUMBERED IN THE SENATE AND IN CONGRESS – YES, I AM AWARE OF ALL THAT; HOWEVER, THOSE FEW UP THERE, FROM BOTH PARTIES WHO HAVE 'TRIED TO SPEAK OUT' SHOULD DO EVERYTHING TO BE HEARD. THEY SHOULD BE USING ANY AND EVERY MEANS TO SLOW DOWN, STOP, SLOW DOWN, CALL FOR HELP FROM THE CONCERNED CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA – ASK AMERICANS WHO BELIEVE IN FREE MARKET ENTERPRISE TO COME TO WASHINGTON D C AND TELL THE GOVERNMENT WHAT IT MEANS TO BE FREE TO OWN AND RUN BUSINESSES WITH AS FEW RESTRAINTS AS POSSIBLE FROM A BUREAUCRACY -( WHICH IN AMERICA'S CASE HAS BECOME FILLED WITH SUCH AVARICE, FEEDING ON THE CITIZENS TAXES, TO BECOME RICH, BECOME SO SELF CENTERED, BECOME SO FILLED WITH SELF IMPORTANCE, AND I COULD GO ON AND ON ) – THIS PRESENT GOVERNMENT CANNOT STAND, IT WILL LEAD TO HORRIBLE CONSEQUENCES, UNLESS THE CITIZENS, SUCH AS MYSELF WHO SO LOVE THIS COUNTRY, ABIDE BY ITS RULES, TRY TO LIVE A DECENT LIFE, WORK , PLAY , PRAY, ALL THESE THINGS CAN BE TAKEN FROM US WHITHIN WEEKS, MONTHS, TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN WASHINGTON IN LESS THAN 100 DAYS INTO THIS CURRENT ADMINISTRATION. SOCIALIZED MEDICINE WILL BE ONE OF THE MOST DISASTROUS AND FINAL BLOWS TO FREEDOM IN AMERICA! WHEN BUREAUCRATS IN THE HOUSE AND SENATE GET CONTROL OF THIS – FREEDOM AS WE HAVE KNOWN IT IS GONE! Wake up, please all of you who read this, we must march, we must gather together and do all we can to save OUR AMERICA, OUR AMERICA WHOSE FOUNDERS WOULD BE HORRIFIED TO SEE HOW THEIR DOCUMENTS WHICH STARTED WITH THE CONSTITUTION AND ON AND ON —- HAS BEEN ABUSED BY THESE SELF SERVING ELECTED INDIVIDUALS. WE MUST NOT USE GUNS AND BASEBALL BATS, WE MUST GO – IN MASSES TO THE STEPS OF THE CAPITAL, TO THE PENTAGON, AND TO ALL PLACES IN WASHINGTON D C WHERE FRIVILOUS INDIVIDUALS, 'PLAY ACT' AT PROVIDING SERVICES TO US, WE CITIZENS WHO PAY THEIR SALARIES, THEY LAUGH AT OUR IGNORANCE, OR LACK OF CONCERN, AND YES, WE AMERICANS HAVE BEEN IGNORING THE UGLY, UNFAIR, AND UNPARALLED, LAWS AND RULES,REGULATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN PLACED UPON US IN OUR OWM COMMUNITIES, OUR STATE AND MOSTLY IN WASHINGTON D C ! THERE HAVE BEEN MANY MANY WARNINGS – WE LOOKED THE OTHER WAY! GRANTED, WE ARE BUSY OUT HERE IN THE WORLD, WE HAVE JOBS, WE HAVE SICK RELATIVES, WE HAVE HEALTH ISSUES OURSELVES, AS WELL AS FINANCIAL CONCERNS FOR OUR FAMILIES; BUT, NOW IS THE TIME, MAYBE THE LAST TIME WE AS FREE CITIZENS WILL HAVE A CHANCE TO GO TO WASHINGTON D C IN MASSES, ORGANIZED AS THANKFULLY, MANY ARE ALREADY DOING!!! THE OLD SAYING 'SAFETY IN NUMBERS' WOULD BE A PERFECT FIT FOR THOSE OF US WHO ARE SO VERY WORRIED, CONCERNED THAT WE ARE ABOUT TO BECOME 'PEOPLE WHO ALLOW OTHERS TO 'DICTATE TO US' WHAT ME MAY AND MAY NOT DO, PLEASE DON'T LET US GO 'BACK TO SLEEP'.I PERSONALLY, AM CALLING, WRITING AND WILL JOIN IN ANY ORGANIZED GROUP (S) EFFORT TO GET OUR MESSAGE TO WASHINGTON D C NOW – WE HAVE HAD IT, OUT YOU GO, AND WHY NOT CONSIDER THIS: THERE ARE INDIVIDUALS IN OUR HOME TOWNS, WHO ARE NATURAL BORN, DECENT, LEADERS, LET US BEGIN 'AT HOME, IF YOU WILL' AND LOOK TO THESE WHO HOLD THE SAME LOVE FOR FREEDOM AS WE DO. LET US CONSIDER

PUTTING THEM ON THE BALLOTS! TAKE THE OFFENSIVE AND TAKE CONTROL BY PEACEFUL MEANS – GOD FORGIVE US, IF WE DO NOT DO SOMETHING GREAT NOW!

23. PansyLu says:

Doctors, especially surgeons, should make a lot of money. It is a long arduous process to become a dr. and I want someone who knows what the heck they're doing working on me.

Our health care system is already seriously flawed mostly because of government involvment.

If the system becomes nationalized the only doctors we have left will be the bad ones.

Will someone besides Ron Paul please grow a pair and stand up to this!

24. michael hutchings says:

THE PROBLEM WITH POLITICIANS IS THAT THEY THINK LIKE MOBSTERS AND WANT THEIR CUT OFF THE TOP,

THE PROBLEM WITH THINK TANKS GIVING THEM ADVICE

IS THAT IT IS RECYCLED FROM OTHER THINK TANKS AND IS NOT CREDIBLE WHERE THE REAL FOLKS LIVE;

WITNESS THE SCHOOL VOUCHER PROGRAM IN WASHINGTON THAT WAS GIVEN THE AX BECAUSE IT WORKED AND FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN IT WAS A THREAT TO THEM;

BOTH PARTIES HAVE TWO HEADS ON ONE SCALY BODY,

AND BID US CHOOSE BETWEEN THEM, IT IS LIKE

CHEERING AT A PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING MATCH;

NG

25. candyrose ny says:

People with "THE ENTITLEMENT SYNDROME" demand too much from the(government)tax payers. they want health care,shelter,food education,tranportation, etc. every year most of them go away on expensive vacations with the entire family,some times more than ones. buy big expensive SUV, and this vehicles required high insurance premiums. the all have big flat screen TV, not to mention other electronic toys. Do they know there is such thing as personal responsibility. Too many people are riding on the wheelbarrow and ONLY a few pushing it.

26. Nelia, Fountain Hill says:

Marching on Washington en masse is a great idea, but what makes you think the current power would not call out the army to control and put down such an uprising? I fear they are not above such action in order to establish their new form of government which is beginning to resemble Fascism more than Socialism. But as yet, most citizens are still armed.

27. PansyLu says:

First: The insuarnc companies and doctors did not make America the fattest nation in the world!

I read the article on BBC listed by another commenter and read a few more articles on the subject.

One of the criteria that rated America low is how evenly the care is distributed. In America: if you are poor you get your health care paid for by other Americans and the care you get is crap (run by the government).

If you are rich you pay for it yourself – and get to go to the greatest medical centers in the world (in America).

And if you are middle class you are paying for health care that you don't have access to.

A year and a half ago I changed to a high deductible plan through my employer. Wow it opened my eyes on how expensive certain things are. I now take much better care of myself; halving the # of prescriptions I take; eating better, exercising, etc.

The French have the highest per capita prescription rate. That's not health.

Our greatest medical centers are the greatest in the world, but few people have access to them.

Maybe we should start looking at these great centers and see what makes them so great and then model our health care system after them. And I firmly beleive that everyone should be on a high deductible plan. They are cheaper and you are forced to be the owner of your health.

28. Barbara B. Baker, Fl says:

Good point, from Fountain Hills Az to my comments about marching en masse to Washington. I am well aware that what you say has a lot of merit in it, meaning the 'calling out of the troops/Army', whatever may be in the inner workings of Washington insiders'. I still believe, that as Americans, gathering together without arms – is still the best solution – not to underestimate the power that is now in Washington D C – who could very well, use tear gas and such to turn us away! Hear is my hope: That we are not there yet! And that, there MAY STILL BE TIME TO GATHER TOGETHER – I do believe in safety in numbers – crowds of thousands in the steets of Washington, D C, protesting by their very presence, will tell the whole world, (which this administration believes is ' SO VERY IMPORTANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH ONE AND ALL) ' that Americans never quit, we never give up, we will fight in whatever means we must, to save this wonderful Free Society. I wish I could do more, individually, to help to get the word to this current administration that NO WE WILL NOT BE LED AROUND BY OUR NOSES! We fought for our freedom, we found, ( thank God there was a place we could go to set up our Free Society, where we all were viewed as individuals ) not as groups who fit into one category, and another group who fits in another, etc., etc. That said, IS THERE ANY MORE SPACE IN OUR UNIVERSE ( please, I am not speaking of Outer Space ) – but on any of our continents where we could brave the

elements, take up our belongings and go inhabit it! Will this be our fate? Who knows, but remember, we are free people, we love our country, and our country has millions who believe as both you and I that we can and will reclaim it!

29. Jimmy Konogeris, May says:

If you think health care is expensive now, wait unitl it is free!—P.J. O'Rourke

30. Nelia, Fountain Hill says:

Amen, Baker from Florida.

31. Craig, Albuquerque says:

As a taxpayer you can only set back and say "what next". Our political wonders are going to sink the ship. Thank God we only have 4 years of Obama at best and 8 years at worst. Health Care is just one of the many issues that will crater. We all just have to say "no". Do it with your letters and do it with your vote. Start locally and unelect the guys who are not paying attention. We need to stop spending money, cut the Federal budget and eliminate useless stupid social programs that serve nothing but waste tax payers money. Don't cut national defense, cut Washington waste.

32. Jerry Brittain says:

I have been encouraging people for about three months now to march on Washington and shut the government down if necessary until we get the trash out of our White House and the Senate. Obama is not a U.S. Citizen and the current administration is therefore illegal. Now he or should I call him "it" wants to have Acorn do the census! How stupid is that if we let it happen. They stole the election by registering illegals, dead people and double and triple voting. Obama is bought and paid for by the Muslims in Saudi Arabia and they helped get him elected. He told the Saudis that the U.S. was not a Christian nation any more. We are and I suggest that he and all his Muslim friends go to Saudi Arabia because we will in no way have Sharia law here. This is a Christian nation and we don't like the fact that they are trying to take "In God We Trust" off our monies. That will stop for sure. The American people will not tolerate taking God's name off our money any more. They put "In God We Trust" on the side of one coin this past year and then bam, the financial crisis. God will not tolerate any more stupidity by the politicians. Repent America and turn to God or be judged! That's the word you need to hear. Return to God and He will forgive us and heal our land. God will be our God whether we like it or not. We serve the true and living God, Jehovah God and not a deamon as some do. We must stand up and be counted for God before He judges us. We must vote the scoundrels out this next election year and move to get Obama and Biden impeached. Let's create a web site where we can organize and get people who want a free country to go to Washington!

33. J R Deal, Zephyrhill says:

Get educated. Go to pnhp.org, there you will find that at least 18,000 physicians don't think they will get underpaid.

Go to johnconyers.com and learn about HR 676.

Google "World Health Organization ratings" and see that our good ol' USA is ranked 37th for health care in the world. No gold medals there, folks.

I'll bet some of you were angry about the AIG bonuses. Why aren't you angry that our health care dollars go to profit and exhorbitant CEO bonuses for the health insurance industry which in and of itself couldn't produce a band-aid for a paper cut.

Think about it.

34. Carol, Carrollton GA says:

I hate to think that some of you people are allowed to vote. Access to health care is a basic human right, and it will never be available to all as long as there is a profit motive involved. NO ONE SHOULD EVER AVOID SEEKING MEDICAL HELP BECAUSE THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT, period. I support President Obama 100%.

35. Philip Obaza, CA says:

I can understand everyone's reluctance to want the government in charge of healthcare, but the current "for-profit" system is already broken. I know in America that we like to be #1 and think that we're doing everything right, but the injustice, corruption, and greed of the insurance companies have turned the healthcare system into an ongoing nightmare for Americans across the country. That is not a projection or an estimation; it is a fact.

Rising co-pays and deductibles are driving people in America further and further into bankruptcy and poverty. As an American citizen, I've known the government to handle many programs successfully, such as Social Security, the post office, the fire department, public school, and the police and I see no reason why we cannot do the same with a national health system. Many of the previously mentioned systems have problems, yes; that's with any system that's run by human beings. However, we've already proved that we can do things like this already and healthcare should be no exception.

I don't know if you're familiar with Rep. John Conyers' HR 676; it is a single-payer, "Expanded Medicare-for-all" bill currently in Congress. You can read it at http://www.pnhp.org. If you have not read it, I highly recommend that you do, as I think it will provide clarity on some of the issues addressed in this article. This bill provides all the necessary steps to improving America's healthcare and removing the private insurance companies from the equation; we should never have to talk about profit when it comes to people's health.

Just out of curiosity, do you find it fair that before a doctor can treat a patient in this country, they have to check with what kind of insurance coverage they have and possibly deny that patient treatment if the coverage is not adequate? This is not only shameful, but it's also wrong and immoral.

Would I want a "government bureaucrat" in charge of my healthcare? Well, I'll take that over an "insurance (read: for-profit) bureaucrat" being in charge of things the way they are now. I, like millions of other Americans, hope and pray that a solution to this issue may be found soon.

36. DANA (New Mexico) says:

SORRY CAROL, BUT ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE IS NOT A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT. IT IS A PRIVILIGE.

37. Barb -mn says:

Access to health care is not a basic human right! You are yourself in charge of your health! The government does not have an obligation to provide health care. Whether people can afford it or not, everybody has ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE. What is stirring THIS pot are the people that didn't or don't or refuse to see health care as a priority. Therefore did not afford to have it by choice. Hence, complaining to the government that they don't have it. While they spend monthly on luxury amenities. And this is what it has become. I don't support President Obama 100%.

38. John Rosina, Bordent says:

To JC in texas

Jack Nicholson: "You want the truth! You can't handle the truth."

Free market stalwarts are in HUGE denial about medical care in America.

We pay more per person than any other country in the World and come in at 37th in quality and availability of health care.

I give you J.C. of TEXAS

J.C. Hughes, Texas writes:

… too many Americans are being duped into believing they’d be better off with a government controlled single payer arrangement. This includes many misguided thinkers in an already over regulated healthcare industry. If any of these folks honestly feel they can’t afford medical care now, wait till they’re faced with picking up the tab for a government run healthcare system. Believe meeee! It’s not going to be cheap.”

JC – We ARE the most expensive H-Care per person in the World! All these years of “Free Market H-Care” is a contributor to this high cost.

J.C. Hughes, Texas writes:

"JR in Bordentown, WHO? Any data generated by the United nations is politically suspect. I’m sure their method uses a subjective analysis in order to support their ideological aspirations. Namely socialized medicine."

Hey JC

I showed data and you failed to take up my challenge to put up contradicting data. Because you can't.

To dismiss the facts by slandering the source is handled below and much more eloquently by President Lincoln.

I am not that tactful – so be happy!

"I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him." Abraham Lincoln.

In this case – you DO NOT happen to be “accidentally” close to truth either.

I love free market capitalism EXCEPT when:

1. It sells the major components of our US economic engine to other countries. The Big guys make money on both sides of the Oceans while we go broke at home. Hint – stared in earnest in the 1980’s.

2. When CEO's and business types make money by rigging health care for the healthy – and healthy is in the majority – against the catastrophically, chronically or aged ill.

I call it “Casino Odds Health Care”.

Do not confuse Unfettered Capitalism with Patriotism, Americanism or Constitutionalism. Some of these folks are just plain greedy crooks – PERIOD.

39. Barb -mn says:

John, Bordentown, NJ,

I'm not sure where you stand? You write "Some of these folks are just plain greedy crooks – PERIOD."

When has the government EVER spent within their means? Here and there they may, but the federal government is insisting on the removal of our freedom of choice, with the ability to do for ourselves! As far as GREEDY CROOKS, that's exactly who's running this country! Free enterprise, everyone pays their own!

40. sandy johnson says:

Lewin Group is owned by UnitedHealth Group

41. rebecca kaminski says:

Do you know who keeps these Neocon sites going?

The very ones who can afford expensive health care, the ones who clear over a quarter million and will be taxed under this administration.

They tool/emotionally charge what percentage of the masses will buy it for the actual motive of self-serving interests. They are livid they will have their gravy messed with. They shamelessly guise their 'cause' in Christianity and negatively pound such words as 'socialism' for what is merely social cause that's genuinely Christian.

And they are tireless at it.

Will you people just look at their shoes under the curtain?

Yeah, If you would do that then you'd feel you are giving into the New World Order. What a tight leash.

Those who have genuinely given their hearts to Jesus pray to the Holy Spirit for truth AND courage.

42. rebecca kaminski says:

In reading some of these comments, I can see a lot declaring about health care when it's apparent they have NO clue what it's really like living in situations not being able to afford health care.

Dana, really? Wow. Really?

43. Arnie Rosner, Founta says:

A one word solution…

Impeachment!

44. Barb -mn says:

Dana is 100% right!

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF WITH YOUR HUMAN ABILITY AND YOUR FREEDOM OF CHOICE!