• Castro's Pals on the Left

US Democrat congressman Bobby Rush speaks during a breefing on April 07, 2009 at National Hotel in Havana, next to (L to R) US Democrats congresspersons Emanuel Cleaver, Marcia Fudge and Mel Watt.

The Congressional Black Caucus visited Cuba yesterday in an effort to convince Congress that they should loosen restrictions on access to and financial aid for the Communist nation. After the propaganda machine was well lubricated on both sides, some interesting quotes emerged:

“A fourth member of the Caucus said that despite Obama’s electoral victory, the American society continues to be racist.” – Statement by Fidel Castro, April 6, 2009

“[Another lawmaker] added that his government should apologize to Cuba for all these years of hostility and for the blockade policy, because only then will we be in the position to move on together towards the solution of the bilateral differendum.” – Statement by Fidel Castro, April 6, 2009

“I got the sense that [Fidel Castro] really wants President Obama to succeed.” – Congresswoman Barbara Lee (D-CA), April 6, 2009

“He said to us, ‘how can we help President Obama?” – Congresswoman Laura Richardson (D-CA), April 6, 2009

“It was almost like listening to an old friend.” – Congressman Bobby Rush (D-IL), April 6, 2009

“[Raul Castro] is one of the most amazing human beings I’ve ever met.” – Congressman Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO), April 6, 2009

Raul Castro is “just the opposite of how he’s being portrayed in the media… I think what really surprised me but also endeared to him was his keen sense of humor, his sense of history and his basic human qualities.” – Congressman Bobby Rush (D-IL), April 6, 2009

“Fifty years of foolishness is over. It’s time for the children to sit in the corner and the adults to take over.” – Congressman Bobby Rush (D-IL), April 6, 2009 calling Cuban refugees, exiles and supporters of human rights “children.”

“We’ve been led to believe that the Cuban people are not free, and they are repressed by a vicious dictator, and I saw nothing to match what we’ve been told.”- Congressman Bobby Rush (D-IL), April 6, 2009

“Certainly the Clueless Seven, led by Rep. Barbara Lee of California, didn’t make a fuss about 50 years of the Castro brothers’ rule, the human rights violations or the escalating and disproportionate number of black Cubans held behind bars.” – Miami Herald Opinion, April 7, 2009

Feel free to share your stories, thoughts and anecdotes of “freedom” and liberty in Cuba in the comments section below.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

8 Responses to Castro's Pals on the Left

1. J.C. Hughes, Texas says:

It's no surprise that when Communists with dictatorial aspirations get together they'll have total consensus.

2. Ozzy6900, CT says:

Guess who the next Country to get an apology from President Obama will be? What in tarnation is the Congressional Black Caucus doing in Cuba? Bad mouthing America, that's what! To hell with them and the racial overtones that they are throwing as the US from a Communist Country! I really am getting sick of this entire Administration and the "Fools on the Hill"! If they want to start a Civil War, they are pushing the right buttons!

3. daniel hopper spring says:

This is an example of why this country is still divided, nitwits going to a communist country and bad mouthing America, the country the represent. Why did members of the black caucuse need to go there in the first place? They should be visiting our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan to see what real Americans are like not the communist.

4. Jeff - Lansing, MI says:

I love visiting this website for comedic purposes – conservatives are hilarious! Keep living in fear and calling liberals Communists – didn't a certain Senator try that years ago?

Regarding Cuba, clearly the trade embargo hasn't worked. Maybe if we trade with them, they'll see what they're missing and become a democratic nation – but I don't know, I'm not an economic genius like the free market advocates running the show the last 8 years.

Stop living in fear: nobody in the U.S. wants a civil war, we aren't going to become a Communist nation, and don't worry, nobody is going to take your precious guns – you can still use them to compensate for your inability to settle matters with intellect and reasoning.

But don't worry conservatives: I'll pray for you!

God bless my liberal country!

5. J.C. Hughes, Texas says:

Jeff in Lansing, how old are you? Try living awhile in Cuba before commenting on how nice they have it. In addition, you're telling us that the economic downturn was caused by the last eight years? Take a peek at the last 80 days! Your stereotyping of conservatives is typical projected robotic blather by sheep such as yourself. You're a prime example of leftist propaganda brainwashing. Please go back to your comic books and video games. You'll be happier. And by the way, don't spend those "Communist" Chinese backed dollars too fast. You may have a dire need for them in the near future.

6. Barb -mn says:

Thank you J.C.! That's telling him! Everything is hilariously right on!

7. Jeff - Lansing, MI says:

J.C.:

I am 24 years old. And you know what – you're right that I did get carried away with stereotyping conservatives and I apologize.

But come on, I didn't say anything about Cuba being a great place to live – in fact, I hinted that maybe opening trade with them would lead to democracy. I love democracy – I'm not romanticizing Communism at all! I hope that Cuba becomes a democratic nation – but that won't happen through continued isolation.

And I assure you that I have not been brainwashed – my opinion comes from a diverse variety of sources and experiences. Yet you dismiss my views as group think because you're afraid to address them with valid consideration.

By the way, I haven't read a comic book in 10 years, nor do I play video games, but great job attempting to paint a picture of me being an ignorant youth with fantasy-laden ideology. And thanks for worrying about my happiness and financial stability – I'll return the favor by praying for your well-being. God Bless you & God Bless Texas!

8. J.C. Hughes, Texas says:

Your response is well received. Thank you for clarifying your position. As a military veteran, I've learned some hard lessons about life outside our shores. We've got it pretty darned good here in America. That's why so many folks immigrate to the "land of the free.." The downside is the current administration's and congressional majority's active stripping away of the very freedoms this nation has long sacrificed blood and treasure to defend. In addition, their handling of the economy has and will continue to be a total disaster if they don't stop their wrongful distribution and wasteful government spending. Obama's primary responsibility was well demonstrated yesterday when he gave the necessary order to end the hostage crisis at sea. For this, I do congratulate the man.