• More Resources, Not Laws, Needed on Border

Anticipating the arrival of Attorney General Eric Holder and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano on Thursday, Mexican President Felipe Calderon called for the Obama Administration to violate U.S. citizen’s Second Amendment rights: “It is necessary to reduce the sale of weapons, particularly of high-powered weapons, in the United States.”

New federal gun control laws are not the answer to Mexican drug violence. Sen. John Barrasso (T-WY) stood up for American’s rights at a border hearing in El Paso Monday:

Some have suggested that we need to ban semi-automatic assault weapons to curb the violence. I don’t understand the rationale behind disarming law-abiding citizens. Why would you disarm someone when they potentially could get caught in the crossfire?

We have laws in place to tackle arms trafficking. The existing laws simply need to be fully enforced.

I will not allow our Second Amendment rights to be sacrificed. Additional gun control in the United States will not change the U.S. – Mexico border violence and smuggling problem. It will take trust, resources and leadership to defeat the cartels.

Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI) also understands that more federal resources and cooperation, not more federal laws, are the answer to increased border violence:

With the fighting between drug cartels in Mexico, our nation must be prepared to stop the terrible violence from coming into our country,” Rogers said. “Congress must do more to help support and financially aid first responders along the Southwest border to keep violence down and illegal immigrants out.

Posted in Security [slideshow_deploy]

15 Responses to More Resources, Not Laws, Needed on Border

1. Lance, El Paso, Texa says:

I live right next to the border. I have watched during the middle of the night as the Mexican Army trucks hundreds of people up to the border and distributes packages from a heavily guarded pallet to each of the people before they make a mass run to cross the border. Outnumbered Border Patrol Agents are able to only apprehend a small number. Should I be forced to give up my right to own a firearm the violence in Mexico will surely come to a quick end or at the very least a noticable reduction. This logic is indisputable, unquestionable and based on clear and objective reasoning. Since most of the violence is accomplished in drive by shootings we should also reduce the sales of automobiles, increase the regulations for drivers license's and decrease the number of available roads.

2. Ozzy6900, CT says:

First of all, Mexican President Felipe Calderon should take care of his own Country and stay out of Our affairs. If his problems spill across the boarder, we should annihilate those problems in a heartbeat!

AG Eric Holder thinks that more laws will stop violence? AG, if you had the gonads to REALLY enforce the laws on the books, THAT would stem off some of the violence! Get rid of the Liberal, kissy-kissy Judges and put real Judges in their places and THAT would stem some of the violence!

Finally, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano should worry more about what is a REAL threat to Our Country —- ILLEGALS are one of the biggest threats to Our Country's security. It is not the legal Citizen who threatens Our Country's security, but it may be in their hands to restore it down the road!

3. Franklin's Lock says:

How does unarming the law abiding citizen help stop criminals? It does not. Here is an idea. No new laws, but enforce the ones we have and control immigration.

4. MARK,HOUSTON says:

This whole thing is a JOKE. I can't believe our elected officials would even give this a second thought , to have MEXICO dictate OUR domestic policy.Meanwhile JOHN KERRY is also down in mexico trying to sell us out as well.So , my message is this …"you want my guns KERRY, you don't want me to be armed CALDERONE, well try and take them!".

5. ra,ohio says:

I agree with you Mark.

This administration is full of idiots being dispatched to other countries that are watching us to see what we will do under various circumstances.

John Kerry,(multi-millionaire thanks to his wife) is dictating gun policies to the American People, while they are starting to wonder if the Obama administration will tax ammo, guns, and self defense.

Kerry's got it made for the rest of his life, we don't.

I say, …get the hell out of my life, and leave my Country alone.

I think we should vote these vampires out of office in 2010

and learn and remember what has happened to this country in 3 months.

6. Geoffrey, South Caro says:

Wow what idiots! The Mexican President also said that us buying illegal drugs also causes illegal immigration!:{ But remember Sec. of Stae Hillary Clinton said the same thing so I will not be surprised if Napolitano agrees with Calderon.

7. eJack says:

The Mexican government has lobbied in the US for decades to keep our border porous. Then they disarm their citizens so that they can be used for cannon fodder. Now they not only want us to clean up their mess, they want us to be defenseless targets too. Forget that. Close the border. Demand proof of citizenship for any social service. Deport the illegals. Shoot the smugglers on sight, and tell the Mexicant government where they can cram their BS.

8. RANDY, WAYOUTWESTONT says:

IF YOU WANT TO SEE REAL VIOLANCE ALONG OUR SOUTHERN BORDERS… JUST DISARM THE AMERICAN CITISENS….THE MEXICAN CARTELS,GANGS,& COMMON CRIMINALS WELL THEN BE FREE TO DRIVE NORTH AS FAR AS THEY PLEASE RAPING & PILLAGING AS THEY PLEASE….AND THE INTIRE SOUTH WEST WILL THEN LOOK JUST AS MEXICO DOES NOW!!!

WHAT WE ARE SEEING SOUTH OF THE BORDER IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF AN UNARMED PEOPLE UNABLE TO PROTECT THEMSELVES AGAINST TYRANTS & CRIMINAL THUGS…."WICH ARE ONE & THE SAME"….IT IS A TRUE EXAMPLE OF SOCIALISM AT IT'S BEST….AND SOCIALISM IS COMMUNISM IN IT'S INFANCY…

9. Carol in az says:

PLEASE ELECTRIFY THE FENCE !

Homeland security J.N. should be ashame of herself. She certainly change her direction in a hurry.

why is she wasting time touring the CA, San Diego choke points. she has "hands-on experience" regarding all the problems that face border states. This is not anything but anarchy on all levels . I think we as a nation should mass mail her at her website remindier her whom she works for.

I'm so shocked on all levels how special interest groups are now manipulating the mainline press on this issue.

Good point about judges that do not protect and serve the property(s)and legal rigts of hard working Americans.

Do we have a Justice Dept on any level in this country? We really have to ask ourselves this question.

Good luck to hard hitting Gov. of TX with his protect and serve men and women who has stated that he "will secure his border once and for all." Happy to hear that someone has some guts.

10. Bonnie in Wyoming says:

I don't presently own a gun, but I think I'll buy one. And I have no intention of giving it up no matter what the law. They'll have to come and take it. Disarming the law abiding citizens just leads to more crime. Just ask the citizens of Great Britain. I really think our border with Mexico should be made secure, no one allowed across without permission, and those here illegally should all be deported and not be allowed to return, ever. We need to get tough on this.

11. Charles in Wyoming says:

Of course we are up in arms at what these people suggest. Nothing that has been suggested to date from the Obama administration solves a problem; Nothing! Of course it will be suggested that we should give up, and should not sell firearms. It doesn't matter that select-fire rifles, granades, and armor peircing ammo, and demo supplies are in use by the drug cartel people. They buy and steal it all of the time. I want to keep my right to keep and bear arms because it is my right, period. I am willing to exercise that right in my voting and buying, and with whom I interact. I also talk with, argue with, disagree with, and invite to go shooting, those who disagree with me having the right to keep and bear arms. Perhaps we need to invite the cabinet and Mr. Obama to come out west and go shooting. Secret Service can come with. Who knows, maybe we can swap shooting tips with the SS guys, and they can convince their bosses that we really aren't the threat they fear, that perhaps they fear being honest with themselves about the fallacy of their beliefs and take it out on we who responsibly exercise our rights.

12. Earl in Wy says:

Bush, the past mexican president and the canadian president didn't want a closed border. Obama is continuing with the Bush policy and we the people are powerless to stop anything that comes out of Washington DC. If Mc Cain wouldn't protect his own state from the outlaws, why should Bush or Obama. And watch what happens next Sen. election….everyone of the crooks is DC will get put back in. Why would people put Mc Cain back in when let the mexicans wreck his own state. Thru Obama we are about an inch from a socialized dictatorship right now.

13. Kenny,WY says:

I am a very stong beleiver in the Second Amemdment.I also do not understand how any educated person can beleive that taking gun rights from law abibing citizens will stop the violance in Mexico. After all it crooks and bad guys that kill people not guns! I think we should send troops to the border to protect American soil,after all we do it all over the world why not on our border!

14. Rosalynn wyoming says:

I work in a retail business and have seen the explosion in the Mexican population coming in to work in different entities of the oil field industries. I know that many of these people are not in this country legally. I am absolutely ticked at the employers that hire them.Talk about don't ask don't tell!! They play a game of putting some responsibility on a temp service to research their legallity to be here.The Mexicans ability to obtain false documents is lengendary. Put more boots and resources on ALL borders.Enforce the damn Law. What part of the Law doesn't congress understand?

15. Gary Wyoming says:

This is nothing but another way to do a way with the 2rd amendment. May question is when will the people wake up and see what the Obama people in DC are trying to make the U.S. a socialist state. We need start to stand up and let our voice be heard in Washington email your senators and representatives that we will not stand for this typ socialist government.