• Associated Press: Obama Rhetoric, Reality Clash

The AP reports, you decide:

WASHINGTON – Barack Obama’s optimistic campaign rhetoric has crashed headlong into the stark reality of governing.

In office two months, he has backpedaled on an array of issues, gingerly shifting positions as circumstances dictate while ducking for political cover to avoid undercutting his credibility and authority. That’s happened on the Iraq troop withdrawal timeline, on lobbyists in his administration and on money for lawmakers’ pet projects.

He spent most of the campaign promising to bring combat troops home from Iraq 16 months after taking office, though he left himself wiggle room.

After directing his commanders to map out a responsible pullout, President Obama adjusted that timeline to 19 months and said 50,000 troops, about one-third of the current force, would remain.

While campaigning, Obama frequently swiped at lobbyists, saying, “When I am president, they won’t find a job in my White House.”

Then he took office and had to fill thousands of positions. He did allow former lobbyists to join his administration. But he imposed ethics rules barring them from dealing with matters related to their lobbying work or joining agencies that they had lobbied in the previous two years. In several cases, he has made outright exceptions.

Obama the candidate pledged to curb spending directed at lawmakers’ pet projects; they’re known in Washington as “earmarks.” Obama the president signed an “imperfect” $410 billion budget measure that included 8,500 earmarks.

On fiscal matters, Obama the candidate urged Americans to tighten their belts. Once in office and saddled with recession, though, he signed a $787 billion stimulus measure and outlined a $3.6 trillion budget plan that will plunge the nation deeper into the red. But again he paired the proposal with a new promise, to cut the deficit by more than half by the end of his first term.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

18 Responses to Associated Press: Obama Rhetoric, Reality Clash

1. Ozzy6900, CT says:

President Obama has saddled us with Urban Economics, Tax cheats and imbeciles running the Economy and does a "soft shoe" around every promise that he made to his "followers". He has given us a debt that is nearly impossible to pay off and he keeps proposing to put more money that we do not have to work for us (Urban Economics). He was clearly the wrong choice but then who was the right one?

2. ra,ohio says:

Ozzy6900, you are right.

He is infatuated with his power, appearing on Jay Leno, getting photo-ops anytime he can.

His attitude is the hell with the United States, I'm in here now and I'm going to make the most of it.

I'm ramming the most aggressive spending agenda the US has ever seen, the congress is passing it, and I'm just happy as a pig in mud.

I've got crooks and cronies in place, and they will do all the dirty work, and along with the media bias that supports me, I got it made.

So, you Americans who are complaining about my economic policies, just set back and watch me on the TV and I will say nothing to you, stumble over the words, and lie to you about nearly everything. Hey,…I'm the president of the United States, and the idiots in this country were stupid enough to vote me into office.

When I was in the Senate, I voted "present" as much as necessary to promote my "transparency". I guess it worked,…..

HAHAHAHA.

3. taxed_out, Georgia says:

Wasn't it something like only 46 percent of the voting population actually voted for Obama? McCain didn't win the majority, but in reality, neither did Obama. Forgive me. I keep forgetting that the rest of us don't matter.

4. Sarah, Midwest says:

How can anyone believe in this man? We expect a certain behavior in a president, especially with other world leaders, but he can't even participate in a traditional gift giving. DVD's – what was he thinking. What an embarrassment. He is so caught up in removing Bush items, his anger shows in his actions…does anyone else see this?

5. Keith, California says:

I am amazed at the number of people who are surprised at his actions–that they didn't know who he was. Just look at his mentors. Also, he said key words that the Far Left/Marxists understood. Now, he not only shows his true colors, (red) but he is an embarrasment.

6. mike baker Dallas Ce says:

Yes, we see it. I still don't understand how professional journalists can keep taking liberal politicians at face value. When it happens, I try to guess how recently they graduated college and how long before they see the pattern.

7. Emory N. Jackson.... says:

Most of my family and friends hate the fact that I am very critical of Obama and his administration. I, like Rush Limbaugh hopes his policies fail.To me, free market solutions are what is needed. I survived jim Crow policies in Mississippi.However, none of us will survive socialism. Take my word, none of will recognize this country in less than ten years from now.

8. Lynn B. DeSpain says:

What? You are surprized that you cannot take a Politician at his word? Gee, scary!

Did you honestly believe we would pull out of the Middle East when we have effectively killed over 90% of the Tali Ban? Sxattered then so greatly that they cannot reorganize?

Did you honestly believe that a newPresident was goingto do nothing but listen to third generation welfare 'Client', people needing 'Grant' monies for this and that, mad scientist and crazy polititcians about 'Global Warming' and 'Fossil Fuel'?

Get real! He has to at least make an apperance of listening to 'Others' before putting into place his own "Crazy ideas'!

Face it American, we got snowed!

Hozro

9. Conservatives United says:

We need to remove Obama and most of this congress (both parties) as soon as we can. The opposition to Obama is growing at a rapid rate.

10. Frank W. New Mexi says:

I think the Obama administration is handeling the budget like the Bush administration handled Katrina. When Obama went to California to be on the Jay Leno show he probable had Air force One circle wall street and looked down at it so he could figure out what to do.

11. Jerome Zacny says:

Candidate Obama made a lot of promises. We have seen how well he has delivered on posting all proposed legislation on the Internet for public review, before taking action. We have seen how he has lived up to his promise to keep lobbyists out of his administration. We have seen how he has carefully screened proposed legislation for earmarks, which he promised to line item veto. We have seen his success in appointing Cabinet members, especially in Treasury.

Mr. Obama often refers to the Kennedy legacy as a source of his political inspirations. Mr. Obama, I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Mr. Obama you're no Jack Kennedy.*

Jack Kennedy said "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what can you do for your country." Mr. Obama seems to have turned the message around, inviting his constituents to ask, "What has my country done for me lately."

* I hope Llyod Bentsen doesn't mind the paraphrase.

12. Cindy Wilkerson, Mis says:

Anyone who "got snowed" did it by choice! All of the information proving Obama's true agenda was available, you just chose not to listen or read the wealth of documentation out there! Shame on you!

13. Denise, New York says:

Cindy, you are absolutely right. And now we are all paying and will continue to pay for many years, for the poor judgement of about half of this country who followed like sheep. How many Obama supports answered, "We need change" when asked why they support this candidate. Well, we got change. It's called socilism!

14. Lezlie, Indiana says:

Obama by himself is dangerous but if you add a vindictive, back biting one party congress to the mix it is disastrous!

Well, folks, it's time to clean up and take back Washington, if we can survive until the 2010 and 2012 elections that is. Enforced "Term Limits" at the voting booth would help clean out some of the riff raff and FatCats. Character really should matter!

15. Claude Cornell says:

Obama talks about keeping this country safe and then begins to tell us how he is going to gut our military. I think he doesn't care about anything except what his little Handbook of Socialism says.

16. Sam Kendall, Wiscons says:

The AP missed one thing that undercuts his credibility, and it is in no way small. During his campaign Obama said that he supported the Second Amendment. Then, after he was elected he picks Rahm Emanual for his Chief of Staff and Eric Holder as Attourney General.

As for his tax-and-spend policy, it reminds me a lot of what Rehoboam did when he became king, especially with all the criticism George W. Bush got for the money spent on the Iraq War.

17. Marshall Hill MI. says:

This President has no vision of Reality,just his

hidden Agenda of Our Failure and his Profit!

18. Barry N. Schmidt, D. says:

What's there to decide, Conn? The man is nothing less than a goddam liar.