• Profiles In Conservatism: Adrian Smith

Representative Adrian Smith

NAME: Rep. Adrian Smith
    OCCUPATION: Member of Congress
    HOMETOWN: Gering, Nebraska

Congressman Smith currently sits on the House Agriculture Committee, House Natural Resources Committee, and the House Science and Technology Committee, where he serves as the top Republican on the Subcommittee on Technology and Innovation.

Through these committees – and his work with Members of Congress from across the political spectrum – Congressman Smith has tackled issues ranging from biofuels and other forms of domestic energy to transportation research and development to fashioning legislation strengthening rural America.

Congressman Smith, in his role as Ranking Member of the House Subcommittee on Technology and Innovation, recently offered his thoughts on cyber-security to the Washington Times, cautioning that “The return on our government’s investment in research and development has been considerable, but never before has technological research and development been so important to our way of life.”

HF: What does “Conservatism” mean to you?
    AS: It means thinking about the future in applying the principals established by our country’s founders. We have more than 200 years of evidence that conservatism works, and we need to apply it moving forward in all areas. I don’t need to remind readers the key to a successful civilization is economic freedom. The challenge now is to live up to those ideals.

What is at the top of your ‘I tunes’ play list right now?
    Michael W. Smith and Vota

Name three interesting guests (living) you would like to host for dinner.
    Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, and Justices Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia

Who was your influence in conservatism?
    Ronald Reagan (for obvious reasons) and a taxpayer from Denmark whom I met years ago who showed me just how out of control government can get.

What is your idea of earthly happiness?
    Having the freedom to pursue opportunities relating to my faith while upholding the ideals of our Founding Fathers.

What is your guilty pleasure?
    Eating too much after 10:00 p.m.

What is the first website you visit every morning? (Heritage.org excluded!)
    www.kneb.com

What is the last book you read, and do you recommend it?
    Currently reading several excellent books, but one which springs to mind is When Character was King, by Peggy Noonan. Yes, I would recommend it.

What do you worry about?
    The value of the dollar, the future of family farming and the “brain drain” in rural America.

Name your hidden talent.
    Dabbling in music now and then.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
    Switching from Democrat to Republican in the 4th grade.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

9 Responses to Profiles In Conservatism: Adrian Smith

1. Andrew Luck - Phoeni says:

Good morning Congressman,

Our values are the same. Try adding IL Divo to your iTunes. They are unbelievable. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Have a Blessed Day,

2. Pete says:

Adrian,

Thank you for serving and standing for conservatism!

3. Clarke Brotherson, M says:

Rep. Smith,

As a former Hawkeye/Husker, I congratulate and thank you. I am happy to believe that there is a conservative future for our country.

By the way it took me until age 21 to become a conservative. That was a long time ago (40 years).

Clarke Brotherson

Mesa, AZ

4. James/Florida says:

Adrian Smith is on his way to becoming one of our great leaders….unless he falls prey to the 'what's in it for me?' crooked pols.

5. H L PUCKETT says:

I HAVE BEEN A CONSERVATIVE MOST OF MY LIFE(I,M NOW 69) I BELIEVE IN THE OLD VALUES WHICH IN THINK MOST OLDER PEOPLE DO , FREE ENTERPRISE SMALLER GOVERNMENT, EVERYONE ABLE SHOULD WORK, THE BIBLE SAYS IF NON WORKS THEY SHOULD NOT EAT,I DO NOT BELIEVE IN SOMETHING FOR NOTHING, I HAVE ALWAYS WORKED FOR A LIVING AND STILL DO.

6. Galen Conant - San A says:

Rep. Smith,

Thanks for all you do for Nebraska and this nation by carrying the banner of conservatism. I saw that you were one of the courageous ones to vote against TARP 1…thank you. That speaks volumes. FYI, get Huskerpedia.com to the top of that website list….

7. Angie Bird, Californ says:

Rep. Smith,

My husband and I are staunch conservatives. Thank you for fighting for us. I am sick and tired of hearing about all the waste and corruption in our government. We need to clean house. We have 3 boys who we have been taught, less government means more freedom, and they have had to fight liberalizm all through their school years.

My father fought in 3 wars. He was a proud soldier. He fought for our freedom for 25 years. My mother was a refugee in Berlin, Germany under Hitler's rule. If only people could really see how devastating communists and socializm is. We are headed down a dangerous path unless we speak out!

Thank you for your service.

Angie Bird

8. NEAL RASMUSSEN says:

MAKE SURE HE CAN SPEAK IN PUBLIC AND MAKE HIM THE SPOKESMAN FOR REPUBLICANS THAT WE NEED BADLY.KEEP DOING THAT FOR OUR SIDE UNTIL WE FIND THE RIGHT MAN AND A CHORUS OF CONSERSATIVES WITH THE RIGHT TUNE TO THE VOTERS.

9. Frank Anderson, Nort says:

As a voter in the 3rd District of Nebraska it is refreshing to see a young person dedicating his life to carry the torch our founders lit for "freedom from government" and free enterprise.