• Profiles In Conservatism

mchenry

NAME: Patrick McHenry
    OCCUPATION: Member of Congress, 10th District of North Carolina
    HOMETOWN: Cherryville, NC

Patrick McHenry is serving his third term in the United States Congress where he represents North Carolina’s 10th District. He was elected to Congress in 2004, after serving in the North Carolina State Legislature. Congressman McHenry’s district comprises of ten counties in Western North Carolina, from the suburbs of Charlotte to the home of Nascar in Mooresville to the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. He has been an advocate for veteran’s affairs, mortgage reform, energy and entrepreneurship, and the integrity of the Census among other issues. McHenry prides himself on having never voted for a tax increase in his entire career. You can learn more about Congressman McHenry at http://mchenry.house.gov/.

What does “Conservatism” mean to you?
    Respect for the time-honored traditions that made this country great. Individuals and entrepreneurs are the keys to American greatness, not government.

What is at the top of your ‘I tunes’ play list right now?
    Jimmy Buffett

Name three interesting guests (living) you would like to host for dinner.
    Billy Graham, Prince Charles, and Erin Burnett (of CNBC)

Who was your influence in conservatism?
    The late, great Senator Jesse Helms

What is your idea of earthly happiness?
    Spending the holidays with my family. Or race day at Lowe’s Motor Speedway.

What is your guilty pleasure?
    Nintendo Wii

What is the first website you visit every morning? (Heritage.org excluded!)
    Drudge Report, Wall Street Journal, Facebook

What is the last book you read, and do you recommend it?
    The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression by Amity Shlaes. It should be required reading for anyone concerned about how we navigate our way out of this economic crisis.

What do you worry about?
    Generations of American taxpayers swimming in red ink.

Name your hidden talent.
    Random trivia

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
    Winning my under-funded campaign for Congress at age 29, beating two millionaires and a popular sheriff.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

6 Responses to Profiles In Conservatism

1. Roy G Callahan says:

There are a lot of people who say they are conservative but are they? My representative refuses to tell me where in the Constitution it says government has the right to take money and property from one person and give it to another. If you look at what's going on with SCHIP and S. 160 – which bypasses Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17, (The District of Columbia Bill) you have to wonder if the oath to protect and defend the constitution has any real meaning. Both SCHIP and S 160 are unconstitutional unless the Constitution is amended to allow either or both.

2. Robett Payne, Ft. Si says:

Dear Congressman McHenry,

Where did you learn to run a campaign before your first election at age 29? I am strongly considering running for office in a “Blue” state as a republican and will be 29 as well when I begin. I have started doing campaign research and would appreciate any resource you could offer.

3. duelles, Santa Fe, N says:

Roy; Most liberals live the life of a conservative, but just want to force all others to participate in doing the good, altruistic works in which they believe.

My old Senator, Chris Dodd, worte to me saying that the social security system was an example of a gov't program that is efficient, cost effective and well managed. I moved!

If they read and followed Adam Smith's idea of the individual doing the best for himself and in so doing gave his best to culture and society they would understand how true individualism works.

Patrick McHenry and R. Payne of OK are both better than I. There is an anger in me in reaction to the blatant disregard for our constitution amoung our leaders that does not inspire me to want to sit and deal with them on any level, much in person or to be considered one of them.

I guess I'm a bit of a Ted Nugent Republican.

4. Linda Wangen, Keansb says:

Good luck Robert in your endeavors. Could you please come to New Jersey and change it to a red state? And thank you Congressman Patrick McHenry for being a conservative.

5. Marshall Hill MI. says:

So when will New Mexico be done with Chris Dodd?

6. duelles, Santa Fe, N says:

Santa Fe, New Mexico is in lock step with Dodd, unfortunately. My bumper sticker:

"HONK IF I PAY YOUR MORTGAGE"

Marshall Hill, MI – You understand that I left CT and Dodd. In reality I'm an official RVer with a permanent address in a state with no income tax. I have an air card for my laptop and have essentially dropped out. I hired a company to recieve and deliver my mail wherever I happe to be. Most things are taken care of on the internet plus no more junk mail!

Perhaps whe the housing market finds a bottom and is stable – in 2-3 years – I may return to productive life. I like Santa Fe, although the truth is it is far to liberal a town to in which to live. The winter has been mild 60-70º days in Feb and when they run out of water, I'll still be moving.

I will not be aable to run for office as Robert and Patrick McHenry can unless it is for the Senate in NY. They don't seem to care if you live there or not!