• Hilda Solis: The Next Tom Daschle?

President Obama’s choice to lead the Department of Health and Human Services stepped down today after it was discovered that he had failed to pay over $140,000 in taxes and amid allegations that he was too closely connected with health care lobbyists that would have had all-too-easy access to him as Secretary. This was the right thing to do, for the country, and for the President. We now fear that President Obama’s nominee for Labor Secretary, Hilda Solis, may soon have to make the same tough choice on his behalf.

In an article written for the Weekly Standard, Hans A. von Spakovsky, uncovers some very disturbing details of Solis’ role in the pro-union organization, American Rights at Work (ARW), in which she may have violated multiple House ethics rules. It appears that while Hilda Solis served as a Board Member and Treasurer to the organization, they were lobbying Congress on bills Ms. Solis actually co-sponsored. One of those bills, the “Employee Free Choice Act”, is the card-check legislation that will eliminate the secret ballot in union elections, eliminating anonymous decisions by employees to decide whether to unionize.

On January 29, Congresswoman Solis filed a letter with the House clerk detailing her involvement. Much like Tom Daschle, Timothy Geithner and Nancy Killefer, her “honest mistake” was uncovered only when she was seeking a Cabinet appointment. This time, Solis says she “incorrectly answered” a question that directly asked if she was a member of any organizations like ARW. Apparently, she forgot that she was handling all of the finances and leadership of an organization that was pressing her colleagues to vote in favor of her own pro-union legislation.

Hans von Spakovsky points out in his Weekly Standard column that the Ethics Manual of the House of Representatives is quite clear that Members should not “take an active role in lobbying Congress on behalf of a private organization since that would conflict with a Member’s general obligation to the public.” Even if these circumstances didn’t warrant an ethics investigation, they surely would require the President to investigate whether his nominee has a clear conflict of interest as Labor Secretary. As of today, she is still listed as a Board Member on ARW’s website.

President Obama has repeatedly praised his own attempts to restrict lobbyists from working in his administration on issues they previously lobbied on. It appears the White House has added an asterisk to that promise when necessary. The latest is even more troubling in that Solis was a member of Congress when the lobbying occured. We certainly hope Congresswoman Solis can provide a reasonable explanation for what may be very serious lapses in judgment.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities [slideshow_deploy]

33 Responses to Hilda Solis: The Next Tom Daschle?

1. Travis Gearhart, Heb says:

It's amazing that people sit idly by and watch as these con artists try and steal our money. Liberals I know are praising this guy for stepping down, "Oh he knows that he can't make Obama look bad." Please. Obama already looks bad, he just does it with a smile and a large vocabulary.

As I state on every comment I leave on here, thank you for reporting the news the way it actually is, and I have recently placed a link to heritage.org on my own site which is trying to form a conservative movement, as I encourage others to as well. Check out http://www.mattersofopinion.net if your interested.

Travis Gearhart

2. vegasquixote says:

I wonder how much longer some working-class Republicans will continue to be blinded, as they vote against their economic interests by voting Republican. The Heritage Foundation and union busting firms can continue their propaganda but many workers see through the veil. Union wages are, on average, much higher than nonunion wages.

3. Brian Webster says:

According to an article published May 20, 2007 by McClatchy Newspapers, von Spakovsky is the latest in a series of current and former Department of Justice lawyers to be implicated in an on-going congressional investigation into the dismissal of U.S. Attorneys controversy.

The article noted that: "career department lawyers say that von Spakovsky steered the agency toward voting rights policies not seen before, pushing to curb minor instances of election fraud by imposing sweeping restrictions that would make it harder, not easier, for Democratic-leaning poor and minority voters to cast ballots."[9] Some of the examples cited were his pushing for approval of the Georgia ID voter law, over the objections of career staff, and which was later ruled unconstitutional; and going "so far in a crusade against voter fraud as to warn of its dangers under a pseudonym in a law journal article. Writing as "Publius," von Spakovsky contended that every voter should be required to produce a photo-identification card and that there was "no evidence" that such restrictions burden minority voters disproportionately."[9]

In another incident, in 2004, Minnesota Republican Secretary of State Mary Kiffmeyer directed that tribal ID cards could not be used for voter identification by American Indians living outside reservations. This raised concerns that it would suppress the American Indian vote, and the US Attorneys office started to look into the matter. But there were orders from both Bradley Schlozman and von Spakovsky, then both high ranking officials in the civil-rights division, which restricted the investigation, effectively ending any department inquiry.[10]

On September 25, 2007, one day before the Senate Rules Committee was scheduled to vote on the confirmation, Slate Magazine profiled von Spakovsky, citing the above attorney dismissal and American Indian incidents as reasons why "Hans von Spakovsky cannot be confirmed to the FEC". [11]

4. jacksmith says:

I AM SO ANGRY!

Tom Daschle, and Nancy Killefer are two of the finest, and most competent public servants you could possibly hope for in these appointments. They have been assassinated by the Washington healthcare lobby through their paid Bush Republican henchmen in congress. These Bush republicans are the same people blocking the economic recovery plan put forth by the Obama administration.

I am BURNING MAD America. And you should be too. Tome Daschle and Nancy Killefer were exactly what we needed to help turn this country around and fix our economy, and catastrophic healthcare crisis.

If I were their boss I would tell them to get right back to Washington. And dare congress to not approve them. How ridiculous is it to reject highly qualified people that this country needs just because they made a mistake on their taxes. Don’t stand for that anymore America. They apologized, and paid their taxes, and that should be it. Their country needs them. But President Obama has to do what he thinks is best. I understand that. I’M JUST SO MAD at the anti American Bush Republicans.

Like many of you I have been trying to enjoy the after glow of this Beautiful historic election. But I see that the republicans in congress and their cohorts aren’t going to be good sports, and LOSER’S!

SO BE IT!

In spite of President Obama’s repeated offers, and gestures of collegiality to Republicans. Bush Republicans have seized upon every opportunity to stab President Obama in the back. And by doing so they are stabbing you, and the rest of the American people in the back. Well, you don’t have to put up with that. And you shouldn’t put up with that. President Obama has only been on the job two weeks. And he inherited two wars, and the worst economy since the great depression.

We had an election. And president Obama, and the democrats won BIG. And Bush Republicans lost miserably!

The Bush Republicans are the ones responsible for the worst economic crisis since the great depression. And the Bush Republicans are responsible for the worst healthcare crisis in American history. A healthcare crisis that is killing hundreds of thousands of you every year. Rich, middle class, and poor a like. Insured, and uninsured. Men, women, children, and babies.

President Obama, and the Democrats should take back all the concessions they granted the Bush Republicans, and tell them to put up! or shut up!

Everyone, start calling and contacting these Bush Republicans and tell them to stop blocking President Obama, and the Democrats recovery plan. And stop trying to block, and corrupt healthcare reform. Tell them to get on board with President Obama and the Democrats, or GET OUT!!

If these Bush Republicans refuse to cooperate I want all of you to immediately begin the process of removing them from office by every legal means possible. Including impeachment, and recall. I want you to bring the full weight and power of the movement down on their heads that swept President Obama, and the Democrats into control of the whitehouse, and congress. Take no prisoners. Use all the techniques you learned over this past historic election. Be flexible, creative, adaptable, and relentless like you were in the past.

To my cyber warriors I call on you again. You are among the best and the brightest. I call on you to move this fight from the cyber world to the living rooms, dens, and work places of the voters these Bush Republicans misrepresent. I know I can count on you. This is a fight worth fighting.

To my fellow World citizens. As an American I invite, and welcome you and your advise, input, and help. By delaying Americas recovery, and healthcare reform, these Bush Republicans are delaying our commitment to your recovery, and to being the better America for you that we aspire too.

I had hoped it would not come to this after our historic election. I had hoped that the Bush Republicans would respect the overpowering will of the people, and the World. But I guess not. All the Bush Republicans really care about is them-selves. Well, SO BE IT! Lets finish the job.

Sincerely

jacksmith — Working Class :-)

5. Pingback: Celebrity Paycut - Encouraging celebrities all over the world to save us from global warming by taking a paycut.

6. Sandy Young says:

Obama’s camelot is dying. Broken promises and corruption have distroyed his first one hundred days. We have arrived at this low point by our own hand. Where are the people of courage who will defend my values as a conservative?

7. Brad, Detroit says:

Jack Smith (or whatever your name really is),

Go post your junk on CNN or the Washington Post websites. Why would we want to give our government more money when they waste it mindlessly already ? Answer one question : Has ANYTHING that our government taken over and/or ran been successful ? Why would you want to double the funds to our education department ? We already spend more per pupil than any other country in the world and you know where we rank ? Not even in the top 20. That is our government-run school system for you. Stop this insanity now. And it was not the Bush Republicans that created the econonomic mess. It was the Democratic Congress that took over in 2006. Check your history. No wonder the Dems want to spend more of your tax money – they don't even pay their taxes. I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

8. GRACE,FL says:

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE REST OF YOU BUT I ALMOST FEEL OFF MY CHAIR READING JACK'S BLOG. JACK I HATE TO BE SO BLUNT BUT YOU ARE A FOOL. REALLY I THINK YOUR E-MAIL WAS A JOKE – RIGHT?

9. Karen, Georgia says:

Maybe the Democrats who don't pay their taxes are sending us a message.

The message I am getting is that the Democrats don't want to hand their money over to government because they know how government wastes it.

10. Annette, Oh says:

My husband and I worked for one of the largest manufacturing companies in the world. We did not have a union. The company treated us well. But if the card check program, that I'm sure Solis will push for, is passed that company and many others will be forced to unionize. Which would raise the cost from food to toilet paper for all of us.

11. Dennis A. Social Cir says:

How stupid people are. Jack hwo long would you stay out of jail if you owed the IRS the amount money these people did??????

12. debby, maryland says:

After the problems with President Obama’s cabinet, I would hope this confict of interest by Solis would be reviewed further by the Senate. This doesn’t pass the smell test. Just saying you were not a lobbyist, doesn’t mean you weren’t one.

13. jojo , minnesota says:

jacksmith…you are one of the funniest people I have ever read. Your complete lack of grasp of reality is refreshing indeed. Please talk to some conservative friends and have them explain things slowly to you. Your eyes may be opened to many fallacies you once believed to be true.

14. JennyD says:

h/t, and may I also say that I'm not terribly surprised that a President endorsed by the Communist Party would want to have a Marxist labor secretary!

Hear me now and believe me later, ARAW will be coming out in support of the "Anti Dog-Eat-Dog Act of 2009" shortly.

15. ejfresquez says:

I hope the Senate will take a double look at the Hilda Solis nomination. I feel for the President, since he is striking out on some very important nominations. But I can't feel to bad for the Democratic Party, they are getting what the deserve.

16. Marshall Hill-Michig says:

We can see the Good-ol-boy System is still alive and

well in the "Administration of Change"! Does he

know any Honest People? And if he does they just

met and now have walked away! This is the Slip

and slide Club!

17. Pingback: Impeach Obama! Obama lied! - Page 7 - SailNet Community

18. james Minooka IL says:

what a disaster this administration is going to be

19. Pingback: Hilda Solis: The Next Tom Daschle? » The Foundry « Snow Report Blog

20. D.R., Orlando, FL says:

Jacksmith was a joke, right? Two million votes is hardly a landslide, and he had all the media brainwashing fools while ACORN was registering those fools so they could cast as many votes as needed to elect the "Chosen One." Jack had a good idea, though. The people represented by every congress person and senator who votes for this stimulus bill, as it is, should start recall petitions on those politicans and get them out of office ASAP.

21. Pingback: VettinGate Continues: Hilda Solis | Paliban Daily

22. Spiritof76, New Hamp says:

In this day and age, how can you have people like JackSmith (working class)so ignorant?

I think you should move to Cuba where the government is end all and be all and the haven for the working class.

Half the cabinet of Obama must be in jail as tax cheats and frauds. US Government apparently tortured Al Capone when they brought tax charges against him. If he had changed his name to Daschle he would have been nominated for a cabinet position.

Just get busy and prepare yourself for the coming "triple double"- double digit inflation, interest rate and unemployment. Don't worry about Daschle. He makes more money as a consultant than less than 1% of the American tax payers- those that file for income taxes!

23. Greg, CT says:

Oh but it's fine for the Bush administration to have the oil and coal industry write our nation's energy policy.

The point would be much better taken if it wasn't laden with so much hypocrisy.

24. Mike, Houston says:

This is now the 4th cabinet member President Obama has selected for a cabinet position that seems to have an ethics problem. I surprised that people are surprised by this. This is Chicago style politics.

I'm sure that we can find many skeletons in most of our Senator and Congressman closets. The problem is President Obama ran on change and that he was going to clean up Washington. If this is true then how can he support people who are in clear violation of the House ethics laws?

For those he selected that had tax problems definitely shouldn't be appointed to the cabinet. If any one of us tried that crap we would be doing time. The only reason why these people aren't in jail is because of the double standard between us and the people who serve in Washington.

I'm tired of hearing how great these people are and how they are the only ones that can lead us out of this downturn. They list of all their degrees and why they should be the ones figuring out to fix this mess. If I'm not mistaken it was people with the same degrees and backgrounds who got us here. If they got us here how is it they are going to provide the solution?

As for Daschle, if he is so great how come he couldn't get relected in South Dakota? Obviously, they had a problem with him or he would have won.

As for the comments that JackSmith made. I hate to break this to you, but it isn't Bush Republicans who are blocking the crap that is being proposed in Washington these days. It is me and other Republicans who are sick and tired of listing to the Democrats and how they are going to fix everything that supposedly President Bush broke.

It is me and other Republicans who are putting pressure on our Republican Senators and Congressman to vote NO. We are now involved whereas we were not engaged like we should have been in the last 8 years. Personally I don't consider President Bush as being a conservative Republican. I see him as a moderate or worst. So Jack, if you think it is Bush Republicans who is causing all of this slowdown it's not. It is hard-core conservatives from the Republican and Independent parties who are now engaged.

We want government out of our lives, and to stop spending money on pork and other crap that has stimulus capabilities. Jack, if you want to have the government running your life try France. You would love it over there.

If government is the answer start naming all the programs that are successful. If you get pass one you are lying to your self or you have drank to much of the government supplied kool-aide.

25. Kim, Okinawa writes says:

This comment is directed to Jacksmith: Why are you angry? You got what you wanted in the White House. I think you need to wake up and smell the coffee and get out of your lala land. You are misinformed about alot of things. I commend Tom Daschle and Nancy Killefer for dropping out. They realized that they would set a bad example by being in high position and yet failed to pay their back taxes, whether if it was intentional or unintentional, they have to follow a higher standards. They made the right decision. President Obama is not all he thinks he is. I see him as a wolf in sheep's clothing. I hope you take to heart to do some real research on him.

26. Pingback: GOP targeting Hilda Solis? « Later On

27. ANDREW, OHIO says:

THIS IS ANOTHER FINE EXAMPLE THAT THE LIBERIAL COMMUNITY ORGAZINATION LEADER IS SHOWING HIS COLORS. O. HUSSIN DOES NOT HAVE A CLUE HOW TO RUN ANYTHING, MUCH LESS AMERICA. WE WERE DEALT A TRULY BAD DECK. THESE GREAT LIBERALS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ON THE GOVERNMENT TIT.

HOW STUPID CAN ANYONE BE. GOVERNMENT KEEPS UP ALL THE LAZY PEOPLE. WHO THE HEL.., DO THE LIBERIALS THINK PAY THEIR BILLS. OH, I FORGOT, IT’S THE LOBBIST. HUSSIN, CANNOT FIND AN HONEST PERSON TO SERVE IN HIS CABINET.
      WE ARE ALL ABOUT CHANGE, PELOISE, WHY ARE YOU NOT THROWING OUT CHARLES RANGEL. OH, YES HE’S BLACK.SO HE GETS A PASS.

OUR AFFRIMATIVE ACTION PRESIDENT, AND THE LEFT WING MEDIA, CNN, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, TIME, NEW YORK TIMES. PUT SOLIS IN OFFICE, WHEN ALL COMPANY’S ARE OPEN TO UNIONS. GUESS WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO AMERICA.S WORK. IF YOU THINK EVERTHING IS GONE TO CHINA NOW. WAIT UNTIL ALL LITTLE INDUSTRIES ARE UNION BOUGHT. THE UNIONS GET RICHER AND THE POTITICIANS GET RICHER AND GET BACK IN OFFICE. THE WORKING PEOPLE WILL BE OUT OF WORK.

28. nyconservative says:

To jacksmith the bleeding liberal.

why dont you go back under the government subsidized hole you crawled out of.

your probably an illegal mexican alcoholic tobacco smoker pedophile

this is who my hard earned income is going to bail out, scumbags like youl

29. nyconservative says:

jack smith, why dont you go to cuba where you belong

30. Pingback: Shutting Out Solis

31. duelles, Santa Fe, N says:

There is not socialism running amok in the Obama Regime, There is Fascism. When the fairness doctrine rears its ugly head in this era of multidutiness media outlets, when caps are placed on private company officers salaries, when the the unethical lobbyists and 'conflcted interested' p ersons seeking power would be felons if they had my name and status, I call Obama a fascist.

Let's see if he can prove that he is not.

How dare he crumble and slump into his stale ideaology and raise taxes, increase spending and send a chill through our economy that only a totalitarian tyrant could.

Jacksmith! Daschle was voted out of office because he failed to serve his state. He is not fine. he is a weak minded control freak. I read his book. It is pathetic. There is no right to you getting health care that I pay for. As a vet I get upgraded health care by buying insurance for my self. Sorry to those Vets who need it – it is for them a blessing as they are blessed.

32. Pingback: Pajamas Media » Ten Ways Obama Can Get a Grip

33. Pingback: Conservative Central » Blog Archive » Ten Ways Obama Can Get a Grip