• Why Does the Left Insist on Bringing Teen Sex into the Classroom?

Why does the left keep insisting that the only people qualified to talk to teenagers about sex is the government? Attacking Sarah Palin in today’s Washington Post Amy Schalet writes:

American teenagers grow up in environments that inhibit them from making conscious choices about sex and using contraception effectively. Sarah Palin supports programs that contribute to that environment, favoring policies that prohibit teachers from explaining the benefits of contraception and condoms and that require teaching that sex outside of marriage is unacceptable.

Schalet seems to believe that the only way to get teens to make better decisions about sex is to require them to share their sex lives with the government. Never mind that all the best available research shows that birth control education doesn’t work.

So what does work? Parental influence. Heritage analyst Christine Kim reviews:

The empirical evidence on the association between parental influences and adolescents’ sexual behavior is strong. Parental factors that appear to offer strong protection against the onset of early sexual activity include an intact family structure; parents’ isapproval of adolescent sex; teens’ sense of belonging to and satisfaction with their families; parental monitoring; and, to a lesser extent, parent-child communication about teen sex and its consequences.

Therefore, Kim recommends:

That parents play a role in teen sex points to at least two significant policy implications. First, programs and policies that seek to delay sexual activity or to prevent teen pregnancy or STDs should encourage and strengthen family structure and parental involvement. Doing so may increase these efforts’ overall effectiveness. Conversely, programs and policies that implicitly or explicitly discourage parental involvement, such as dispensing contraceptives to adolescents without parental consent or notice, contradict the weight of social science evidence and may prove to be counterproductive and potentially harmful to teens.

Posted in Education [slideshow_deploy]

11 Responses to Why Does the Left Insist on Bringing Teen Sex into the Classroom?

1. tjproudamerican says:

Are you being ironic? If a Christian mother like Sarah Palin cannot keep her own daughter from getting pregnant in her Junior Year of High School, how does that say that "Parents are the most effective voice"? Is the Palin family the exception that proves the rule?

2. Barb- st. paul says:

Are you kidding me? It's a PARENTAL responsibility to teach their children! Are you kidding me? Sarah Palin along with her daughter, takes on the responsibility without infringing on the TAX PAYERS!

Government, AGAIN is the problem and not the solution!!! They don't teach children they INDOCTRINATE. This is already happening in ST. PAUL and if you look at the statistics of teen sex in St. Paul, there is a HIGH PERCENTAGE of teens with STDS causing unnecessary costs to the taxpayers. THANKS TO GOVERNMENT!!!!! Government doesn't belong in personal and parental responsibilities. If parents don't take on the responsibility to teach their OWN CHILDREN, government can greedily spend and teach according to THEIR AGENDA!!! Or just pocket the money. Please take on your parental responsibilities…at your expense. My actions didn't bring your children into the world. My actions brought my children into this world to whom I have full responsibility as long as the government doesn't intervene. Are you kidding me? Sarah Palin's daughter made a choice which she is taking responsibility to!!

3. Bill Radel says:

Some folks think its illogical for parents to talk to their children and apparently think the school teachers are better equipped, well aren't they parents too? Why would it be better for then to talk to your children about contraceptives and "safe sex" isn't that Ironic? Parents have always been and always will be the best contraceptive. When I was in my teens out of marriage sex (fornication) was regulated to moms and dads then came SEX ED in the high schools and now 40 short years later grade school children are experimenting, how sad is that. Some studies show that 4 out of 5 now have genital herpes, why? Because they have been taught how to have sex and they have multiple partners. Sex is a God given pleasure that was designed for married people not children and that message needs to be taught LOUD and CLEAR.

4. Rob in Michigan says:

I think you're being willfully ignorant. The message is not that "teachers are better equipped" to teach about sexual responsibility. The message is that parents who don't sit down with their teens to discuss sex in a mature way are asking for problems. Telling your kids that "sex is bad before marriage" is not the same as discussing sex. Lecturing doesn't work with teens… they're growing up far too fast these days thanks to popular entertainment and the sexualization of our culture (not just movies, but specifically in advertisement… you cannot escape sexual images). In some environments, teaching sexual health, including how important condom use is EVERYTIME, if you're not going to say 'no' could be the only thing saving their lives. Unfortunately, too many people feel like if they just say "don't do it", their little angels will never be the ones to have to say "things just happened", and that isn't reality. It never was, despite the fact that we desperately want to idealize the 'innocence' of earlier generations. If you are the type of parents who discuss these things and make sure your kids get real information about the dangers they're facing if they take those risks, bully for you. Unfortunately, too many would rather put on blinders and pretend their little Johnny or Susie would never, ever even think about sex.

5. Sylvia, Washington S says:

We recently moved from a school district that had an excellent "human growth & development" program in their middle school. Parents were notified by letter of dates to attend parent previews of course material. These presentations were given by a professional at the district level who had been doing them for many years and was well equipped to handle all questions. On average there were 20 to 30 parents at each one I attended for 3 years in a row. I was happy with the curriculum generally because they were very, very careful how they presented information on AIDS and HIV and they stuck to an abstinence based program. The 8th grade program had one video I disapproved of and some material that I thought might contradict what I was teaching my kids if it was presented in the wrong way. I met with the 2 teachers who were presenting that program, both young PE teachers, and indicated to them that I was Catholic and was engaged in teaching my sons age-appropriate information about sexual intercourse and marriage and responsibility, all according to our faith. I was surprised when both teachers told me they were Catholic and that they felt fortunate that they hadn't been required by the district's program to present anything that was contrary to our faith. That was a relief. But I still questioned them in detail about the parts of the program that worried me, and their explanations were very satisfactory. I did exempt my son from viewing the video that had vague but ambiguous material concerning same-sex relations.

Contrast that with the school district in the small town we've moved to. The first year I received a letter notification of parental preview for my oldest son's high school fresham class. It was not presented by a district representative. It was an English teacher and a math teacher. I was one of two parents there. The material presented was horrible. It was not abstinence based. It was as if it was an open sex lab. There was no text or textbook. There was to be lots of touchy-feely talk in the classroom about feelings and inclinations and acceptance of "alternatives". There would be samples of contraceptives and demonstrations of same. The English teacher told me that she would be demonstrating a condom on a banana. I objected to everything. In fact, I argued with the woman about who decided whether that should be presented and who had informed ALL the parents that the teachers were doing such things in class. Her answer indicated that the group of teachers who had been assigned this teaching task had made the decisions and in fact it was sort of iffy at that point.

No school board. No parental input. No parental notification. Nothing.

I asked why. Her answer: The kids are having sex anyway. They need to know this stuff.

I said you don't know my son. You don't know most of these kids well enough to know that. What about kids who've taken astinence pledges already in middle school? What about families trying to teach their kids abstinence from a faith-based perspective?

She was very rude, acted and spoke to me as if I was some kind of hick and obviously didn't know anything about high school kids.

Well, I wrote a letter of complaint to the principle and put a copy of it in the "mail box" of every teacher assigned to "sex ed". No response. And it's not even a subject anybody wants to talk about at the school board. They say that not enough parents are complaining about the way the program is currently presented.

Yeah, that's because they don't know what the program consists of.

Two times a year I have to write a letter exempting my son from any "sex education" class. My younger son is in middle school now and I have completely exempted him also. They get home schooled on this subject.

I actually gave a suggestion to the principle and the school board that I thought would work in getting parents to participate in this decision.

The outdoor school in 5th and 6th grades requires that parents attend an orientation meeting in order for their kids to particiate in the week-long outdoor school. Each parent gets a slip of paper at the meeting that the child has to give to their teacher to prove that the parent attended. That's how they do it in this district and the last district we were in.

So why not make the parental preview a requirement for the parents in exactly the same way. The "sex ed" for the kids is a requirement to graduate unless there is a written exemption from a parent. So the parents need to attend the preview, get proof that they sat through it and got the whole picture, or the kid can't take the class and therefore is short a required credit to graduate.

I was given all kinds of excuses why this wouldn't work. Parents don't care. They wouldn't come anyway. We can't use that to hold kids back. The dropout rate's already high from kids who are missing credits. Blah, blah, blah.

Since I'm apparently the only one for the last two years who's even raised the issue, I'm not likely to have any influence.

That's my story.

6. Pingback: Win-FreeStuff.com » Blog Archive » Should They Allow Sex Contraceptives At School?

7. Mico from Fort Belvo says:

Sex education is the responsibility of the parents. However, not all parents will perform the necessary task. Many parents lack the education to teach or relate to their children on the subject. Therefore, sex education should be offered in school, along with the parents ability to exempt their childrens' attendance. The fact is that teens need the education and if the parents don't want to teach it, then at least the schools should be allowed to offer it.

8. Dinamay (Mich.) says:

When will this government learn to stay out of peoples "private lives". Children will learn about sex from many friends without schools that should be teaching important subjects to become intelligent enough for jobs. Who wants a country full of prostitutes??

9. Dinamay (Mich.) says:

Why can't schools go back to teaching important subjects like Math,Reading & writing, English, Spelling, Science, Literature, History, Art and Music,etc. Keep the private things out of schools. Our culture is sour!!

10. Kate, Louisiana says:

just how far out of our "private lives" would you like the government to stay, Dinamay? Many people who write in and support this foundation and its 'findings' don't seem to mind meddling in peoples private lives if those people are gay.

to touch on what Rob from Michigan wrote, abstinence plus education is not meant to replace or override parental involvement, but rather to supplement it. Sexual health and especially adolescent sexual behavior is a public health concern and issue, therefore the government is right to assume some sort of responsibility for sexual education. To imply that abstinence plus programs are "open sex labs" is ridiuclous and offensive to me, a product of an abstinent only sex education program which was an entire waste of my time and intellect.

I was lucky to have an open relationship with my parents who answered every question I ever asked and encouraged my curiosity and understanding. But not every child has that availability. Bravo to you if you provide that kind of environment for your kids, if you choose to talk to them about sex at all; and please, continue to tell them about your faith and the things it says about sex, but don't close the door to other possibilities and to other students who may not have the same opportunity.

Sitting through an abstinence plus sex ed class is not traumatic, and nor does it increase the likelihood that kids will have sex. Possibly, yes, it could confuse them if they have heard different things from you their whole lives, but life is full of contradictions and bombardments of new information. But it is not as if sex education lies to children. Though you may feel some information is inappropriate, it is certainly not incorrect. Should your kids have problems or questions about disconnects, be there to answer them.

11. Simmy says:

Thanks For great information.I was lucky to have an open relationship with my parents who answered every question I ever asked and encouraged my curiosity and understanding. But not every child has that availability.