• Tony Snow, 1955-2008

All of us at The Heritage Foundation are deeply saddened by the loss of Tony Snow. The former White House press secretary, radio talk-show host, “Fox News Sunday” anchor and current CNN contributor was always full of energy and optimism, even as he battled cancer. Snow died early this morning at the age of 53. The Associated Press reports on the mark he left on Washington:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-BXBihOUlY[/youtube]

Snow’s death came as a surprise to many people at Heritage who had recently seem him. Rebecca Hagelin, vice president of communications and marketing, shared these thoughts:

Tony was among the most fierce and gracious of warriors in the battle of ideas. He confronted what was wrong with a vengeance, but did so with style and respect for the opposition as human beings. Tony showed us how to live life to its fullest and to fight hard for what we believe in — even in the face of the worst odds. His death is a terrible, difficult loss given that his life and spirit still held so much promise, and so much hope for the way things could be. He was a fighter to the end, and his life and death are a sober reminder that all of our days are numbered — and, like Tony, we should cherish and use each one as if it were our last.

Reactions began pouring in immediately after the news broke. House Minority Leader John Boehner, who represents Snow’s native Cincinnati, said:

Churchill said, ‘I like a man who grins when he fights’ and that was Tony Snow. For 35 years, as a writer, broadcaster, and spokesman, he fought fiercely for what he believed in, and he did it with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye. His loss is a loss for our country.

Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), a former radio talk-show host himself, added:

Tony Snow’s passing is a national loss. His intellect, his decency and his professionalism set a high standard for conservatives in public service and journalism. America will miss his voice and I will miss a friend.

And President Bush — for whom Snow worked from May 16, 2006, to Sept. 12, 2007 — recalled the brilliant role he played as press secretary:

It was a joy to watch Tony at the podium each day. He brought wit, grace, and a great love of country to his work. His colleagues will cherish memories of his energetic personality and relentless good humor.

UPDATE — 12:59 p.m.: Heritage President Ed Feulner has offered a few thoughts about the impact Snow had on our country. Here’s a quote from his statement:

Not many of us could excel with Tony Snow’s grace and humility as an editorial writer and columnist, opinion editor and commentator, presidential speechwriter, and TV and radio talk-show host — much less as a deft, loyal White House press secretary and pretty good rock musician.

Posted in Ongoing Priorities, Scribe [slideshow_deploy]

18 Responses to Tony Snow, 1955-2008

1. James Poulsen, Rockl says:

Tony was a joy to watch and listen to he was a kind, loving, family man who stated his case in an exremely pleasant manner. His time as the President's spokesman was a delight for Conservatives as he defended the President in such a congenial ,yet forthright, manner that his opponents were made to appear mean because he was so very nice in every action. I will miss him and pray for his family.

2. Jason, Guyton Georgi says:

Tony Snow is certainly going to be missed. His dialogue about current politics were always eye opening, and always thought provoking. I am saddened by this loss.

3. JOHN L TUCKE VISTA C says:

What a marvelous, witty, patriotic and man of great character. Tony Snow personified the principles of conservatism; yet, he battled political adversaries with firmness tempered by compassion. Today, he is no longer in pain but jumps and shouts with joy in the presence of his God. He will be deeply missed by his family, friends and fans. Yet, one day – those who share Tony's faith will once again be united with him, and then perhaps we can all gleefully dance as Tony's plays in God's eternal band!

4. Dan Littley, Lansdal says:

Tony Snow was a giant among his peers. His passing leaves a void in a world where it is difficult to find a journalist of his caliber, humor, wit, honesty, and ethics. He will be sorely missed by all.

5. Teri, Owasso, OK says:

I first heard Tony Snow when he filled in for Rush Limbaugh, loved the Tony Snow Show, proud of him when he was the press secretary for Pres. Bush and looked forward to hearing him when filled in for Bill O'Reilly. I prayed for him whenever he was battling cancer. I will miss him and his straight forward logic that would help untangle political rhetoric. May God Bless his family always.

6. Ryan Ali says:

I am a Conservative Democrat, and I respected Tony Snow and his service to our country. Tony Snow was a true conservative and a patriotic American. He believed in faith, family, and country. From being a newsman, talk radio show host, to being a White House Press Secretary, he has shown great potential. Now all of America preys that God will reward him greatly and he will continue to look down on the world he was blessed to have lived in for 53 great years. His family, including his wife Jill and his children, remain proud of him. They are in their condolences as we celebrate Tony's life.

7. Vincent - Salem, Ore says:

Blessings on his family and loved ones. May his soul be forgiven.

8. Erin Lake City, Penn says:

Tony was a special person and he did his job with class defending the presidents policies and not letting the media get away with things. He was a delight to listen to and I am proud he was one who defend the president and was not one who jumped ship. He was strong in his faith and he had a very special family who stood by him no matter what he did in his life. We should all remember to live our life and be respectful to people like Tony did. We will miss a great person and this country will not be the same with him gone because you can;t find alot of people like that this days.

9. Darvin Dowdy, Houst says:

Tony's soul was,indeed, forgiven as he accepted the forgiveness that Christ has offered all of us. And we all need it. I'm happy for Tony today. He's absent from the body, face to face w/the Lord. No more pain or sorrow.

My prayers go to his family. Especially his children. I can imagine the loss they must be feeling. I hope the pride they all must have in his many positive life accomplishments will temper their grief.

10. Paul Herd, Colorado says:

Tony Snow will be remembered and honored as a proud American, a wonderful family man, a professional in his news, anchor and spokesman positions and a hero who faced cancer and his eventual death with the bravery and class that has set the highest standard reminiscent of our great troops battling in WW II, Korea, Vietnam and our current fight in Iraq. Tony Snow, may God Bless You, your family and all those who had the pleasure to witness your work, be your friend or take power and joy from the wonderful life you lived to the fullest, regardless of the circumstances. thank you, paul

11. Robert, Stevensville says:

Tony Snow was a friend to me even if he did'nt know it. His class and style have had a profound effect on my life. May God bless his family at this time.

12. Douglas Moffat, Terr says:

Tony Snow was a comforting voice wheather it was filling in for Rush or when he was at the podium speaking and defending President Bush. He made me feel like I knew him personally and I am sad for his loss. May God bless and comfort his family here on this earth and may Tony enjoy eternal life in heaven with our lord. I look forward to meeting him one day.

13. andersonsmith, New Y says:

Tony was an American political commentator, television news anchor, and good radio host. Tony snow was great personality. I pray to god that gives peace to Tony’s soul.

_____________________________

anderson smith

14. Marvin Cragin, Fresn says:

I first heard Tony when he substituted for Rush and I was impressed with both his command of current events and his manners. I quickly added him to my very short list of media people whom I trusted (Rush isn't on it; Victor Davis Hanson is) to give me the straight scoop.

Since then I have followed his career and was ecstatic when he accepted the WH Press Secretary job. This was an excellent position to showcase his journalistic skills and patriotic dedication. He provided a commanding and unerring message to a less than objective and ethical press corp.

I feel as if I've lost a family member as I will miss him, his observations and influence on our country. My sincere condolences to his family

15. Lou Ann, Canton, Okl says:

I would like to thank tony's family for sharing him with us. It was our pleasure to see him. We will miss him. Thank you (to the family) for sharing him with us. Lou Ann

16. Teri Whitaker, Medfo says:

I don't believe I've been affected by someone's passing as I have with Tony's.

Tony was an individual who, without trying, set a perfect example for how we Americans should conduct ourselves. He was a man strong in character and genuine in every respect. Rare, very rare.

Tony expressed his concern about his family's welfare just in case the cancer beat him. Feeling the need to earn more money to secure his family 's lifestyle was one reason why he left his Whitehouse position. I would hope that a foundation will be formed and contributions made to Tony's family so that we Americans may show the respect that's within our hearts to a man well lived.

17. Karen, Florence, MT says:

There are no words to convey the deep feeling of loss with the passing of Tony. He was truly a great man and a wonderful role model. May God Bless Tony and his family. Karen

18. Carrol, Algonquin, I says:

When we heard of Tony's passing, it felt as though a close member of our family died. What a wonderful, talented human being he was and what a wonderful husband and father. Countless people have expressed their sorrow and it's a shame the AP could not write a story about his passing without using certain code-word adjectives they normally use when writing about a Conservative.